Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

ManofManyAliases posted:

I never said that, but 4 points for low-level troll . . .

You did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

ManofManyAliases posted:

I never said that, but 4 points for low-level troll . . .

:ughh:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

ManofManyAliases posted:

2) How many players do you expect to be able to play together in the same immediate area?

[b]Kinda loaded, provided CIG can work out instancing as described. Instanced zones that can hold 20-40 clients reliable on 1-2 servers can be scaled to 60 or 80 clients with the addition of additional servers on the blade

This just betrays that you think AWS instances are physical things.

Also, cloud computing is total poo poo for latency when you're talking about FPS twitch shooters.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Somewhere there is a compute lab manager wondering why he has so many of these Sabre Raven things.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Lol, I'll admit: You're almost as good a troll as others here.
they are going through $50m a year, easy

like a single studio in the UK is burning through half that in a year and its documented and online and you can view that poo poo with your own eyeballs

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

ManofManyAliases posted:

-We're going to see 3.0 release much earlier than "mid-year."
-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.
-Certain evocati will begin testing 3.0 very, very soon.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.

Hey MoMA, how are these predictions shaping up?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Terebus posted:

Hey MoMA, how are these predictions shaping up?

So glad they were just predictions.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Put more servers on the blade, lol.

I heard computer terms once.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

ManofManyAliases posted:

Thought you had sources in CIG backing your predictions up. Didn't you say you would be worried if they didn't deliver on those?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

ManofManyAliases posted:

:ughh:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

so do you suck chris's dick for free or are you getting paid like everyone else around him

because at least get a bill or two outta the deal, poo poo man

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Virtual Captain posted:

We need to come up with a term for this theoretical sudden collapse. Ideas anybody?

Refund Stupid Investors (RSI).

XK
Jul 9, 2001

MoMA cargo cults IT knowledge.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Angry, drunk MoMA, best MoMA

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

HycoCam posted:

Angry, drunk MoMA, best MoMA
he's makes me kinda sad now

pour out some sharks blood for your pretend spacegame bitcoin sim, moma, for the glory days of SC are not dead, but never were

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

if November is less than $3m, things are going to be very, very loving bleak next quarter

What the hell could they even sell in November to make 3m? Release 3.0? Not likely! They cannot sell plots of land this quickly after the base-builder ship, bikes and all that planet vehicle crap is already fatigued, it's too soon to have another military ship over $500, and they already had a sale for a "luxury" ship a short while ago.

Like, they have to keep inventing new types of ships to keep this thing going but the (emergency funds) mini-carrier JPEG has to be saved for December.

Meanwhile, the dreams keep on getting bigger and bigger.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

stop using the word "will" in your prediction

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EminusSleepus posted:

stop using the word "will" in your prediction

They are predictions full of boisterous confidence. Patriotic predictions full of certainty, not sissy-rear end hope. Strong, powerful predictions that will get quoted the gently caress of when they inevitably become reality.

XK posted:

Also, cloud computing is total poo poo for latency when you're talking about FPS twitch shooters.

Shhhhhh!!!!! Don't tell him. Finding out he only has reddit-level knowledge about networking was funny as gently caress.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 31, 2017

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

TheAgent posted:

if you thought the intel dick sucking was bad, wait until you see the bareback, popper-fueled assfuck CIG takes just to keep the lights on

star citizen brought to you by squarespace

build it beautiful!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

What the hell could they even sell in November to make 3m? Release 3.0? Not likely! They cannot sell plots of land this quickly after the base-builder ship, bikes and all that planet vehicle crap is already fatigued, it's too soon to have another military ship over $500, and they already had a sale for a "luxury" ship a short while ago.

Like, they have to keep inventing new types of ships to keep this thing going but the (emergency funds) mini-carrier JPEG has to be saved for December.

they have to get in on the land grab action at this point, its the only thing bold enough to save them past 2018

XK
Jul 9, 2001

trucutru posted:

When do they sell the ship that lets you live in your parent's basement?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

It has a button on the console that automatically responds with, "I sent out 2 job applications today. God. Leave me alone. I'm trying!"

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Virtual Captain posted:

:yayclod: + :pseudo: + ( :shepspends:* :trustme: + :retrogames:) + :gary: + :redflag::redflag:

Should clear up most of your questions.

I'm the parp wind blowing those red flags

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Four years ago, backers knew (well, they thought they knew) the release date of SQ42, the overall scope of SC, and had a general idea of the gameplay involving professions.

Today, after thousands of days of development, they don't know anything for sure about those points, besides the fact that the game will be the best ever and has the most open development.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

trucutru posted:

Four years ago, backers knew (well, they thought they knew) the release date of SQ42, the overall scope of SC, and had a general idea of the gameplay involving professions.

Today, after thousands of days of development, they don't know anything for sure about those points, besides the fact that the game will be the best ever and has the most open development.

I wonder if the guy who built the spaceship basement feels pretty silly yet.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Pgabz

Procedurally Generated Angry British... Zcat

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Star Citizen: Procedurally Generated Predictions

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

XK posted:

I wonder if the guy who built the spaceship basement feels pretty silly yet.

Yeah it would suck to put in all that work just for your parents to kick you out

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

TheAgent posted:

2017: $22,747,659 (current)
2016: $36,100,538
Difference: -$13,352,879
Percentage: -37.0%

they have to make almost $6.7m per month in order to equal last years funding, which is about $216,000 a day, every single loving day until the end of the year

current projections put them at around, at best, around $85,000 a day, or around $28m end total for this year

that's about $8m less than last year, or about a 22.5% drop in revenue

given what we know, a $4m/month burn at minimum is about right

once they shove 3.0 out the door it has to receive near universal praise in order for them to continue operations at current employee and office capacity in 2018

of course the second they begin to layoff staff or key members, that's when the bank rush will happen and things will collapse

They're currently down $2.45M versus the same time last year, $2.6M versus 2015, or $816K versus 2014. 2016 had a lackluster holiday sale and was saved mainly by the anniversary sale in which they flogged tons of capital ships. It seems hard to believe that this sales performance will be replicated in 2017 even if CIG tries to pull the same trick again, but on the other hand, it's never safe to bet against whale credulity or whales' credit limits.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

XK posted:

This just betrays that you think AWS instances are physical things.

There are still physical bandwidth limits in the hardware. Spinning up 32 instances on a single machine doesn't mean suddenly it has 32 more Ethernet or optical ports to transfer data between. Things are better, but even the last project I worked on all the database servers that managed database writes were dedicated multi CPU/RAID 5 machines in a multi-master set up. In fact CPU's, PSU's, and HDD could all be hot swapped. Those handled things like E-Commerce orders, but things like catalog tables that were high on the reads, but not writes, were replicated to "cloud" (Azure in our case) instances as needed. And our traffic spiked during certain dates & times, but our read to write ratio to the databases was about 145:1.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
Are we taking bets on when CR will sell vials of his own blood to backers like Richard Garriot did?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

boviscopophobic posted:

it's never safe to bet against whale credulity or whales' credit limits.

They'll buy any old poo poo that Chris Roberts puts in front of them because they are funding a war against Derek Smart not a video game. The game went out the window years ago, none of these guys are expecting a game, care about a game or want a game. They're a bunch of complete assholes and CIG will only run out of money when they do.

That fancy pants city demo wasn't for the benefit of backers, that was for the benefit of Mr. Kite and everyone else. All backers need is a subreddit to park themselves on, a bunch of jpegs and dreams.

As for the devs still in there - they don't need to make a game, all they need to do is gently caress around with tech demos and cool looking poo poo that doesn't actually do anything. As long as there's at least one single dev doing that CIG are fulfilling their obligations to the backers. Nobody in CIG is working on a game, nobody has been working on a game in there for the entirety of this year and probably most of last year.

In this dark and unfunny period in the thread I just thought I'd remind everyone that this is in fact a giant scam and has been for quite a while.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Goobs posted:

Are we taking bets on when CR will sell vials of his own blood to backers like Richard Garriot did?

It'll be a jpeg of a vial of Chris's blood, limited edition

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

XK posted:

It has a button on the console that automatically responds with, "I sent out 2 job applications today. God. Leave me alone. I'm trying!"

finally, a useful jpeg

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Goobs posted:

He will sell vials of "Star Citizen planets dust"

Christmas stream.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

trucutru posted:

I think for some backers shitizenry is just a creative writing exercise

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Berious posted:

I think for some backers shitizenry is just a creative writing exercise

Pay to shill

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SomethingJones posted:

In this dark and unfunny period in the thread I just thought I'd remind everyone that this is in fact a giant scam and has been for quite a while.

Sorry but the game and its features are already out (we just don't get to play them) and already better than Erectile: Disfunction

trucutru fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hey MoMa, this is how a professional does it: