Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Evil Eagle posted:

Lol this is the easiest one yet

It really is, but also tbf it is quite a bit longer than the others as well.

KingSlime posted:

Mario Odyssey is a much better banjo kazooie game than yooka layle

That's not a high bar to clear. A Hat in Time is also a better Banjo Kazooie than Yooka Layle (not to say Hat in Time isn't also a good game).

KingSlime posted:

People are getting the end pretty quickly, which isn't a huge deal given the total content but it makes me wonder: is it disappointing to have seen all the variety of environments roughly 25 percent into the total experience?

If the content inside those environments is good and deep enough, then no it shouldn't really matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You must be at least 25 and male to play Nintendo.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
How well has Odyssey done so far?

Did it outsell Knack II?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The reporting period ended September 30th

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Viewtiful Jew posted:

How well has Odyssey done so far?

Did it outsell Knack II?

2 mil sell through in 3 days.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

2 mil sell through in 3 days.

That's a-good.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Was on the phone and forgot to post source, heh.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/925177014750814208

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/171031_2e.pdf

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m playing that game everyone is talking about.

Shovel Knight.

It’s actually fun and gets pretty got dang hard.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My brother called Shovel Knight the "Mario of indie games" and it felt appropriate. That game is the gold standard for retro platformers.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol that Wii U line

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Guy Goodbody posted:

lol that Wii U line

Sometimes I forget just how completely insane the Wii's launch and reception were.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snake pass worth 10bux? Thought it looked pretty good back when it came out.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

veni veni veni posted:

Snake pass worth 10bux? Thought it looked pretty good back when it came out.

It's pretty cute and chill once you get the hang of slithering

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I checked my mailbox today and Mario is still en route. Guess I have to play Destiny 2 and Wolfenstein instead :sigh:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Completed SMO last night (well the main story). It's a joy, so much fun, the movement of Mario is just wonderful! I tried playing it handheld and it just isn't as fun, you need separate joycons (the circle cap throw is critical and spinning and pressing Y just doesn't cut it). It's weird how they really really REALLY want you to shake that controller. On the pro controller it's a 50 50 chance I'll do a cap circle or throw it in the air. Mapping X to cap circle would have been ideal.

A minor gripe for an incredible game.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
Is it possible to 100% the worlds BEFORE getting to the final boss? Like in Super Mario 64?

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Argue posted:

Sales and PR wise, I think Nintendo's first party games have rarely been blockbusters on the level of the AAA titles from devs on other consoles (for example, the new Assassin's Creed seems to have outsold Odyssey in the UK) but what they have--especially the Mario titles--is some pretty unbelievable staying power.

I think you may be wrong on this:

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_games_worldwide

You can excuse many of those games for being bundled with the console I suppose but Nintendo still has a very strong showing in terms of best selling games of all time. Assasin's Creed has no representation at all so it's hardly the blockbuster.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm going on a trip this weekend - is there a "best" carrying case for the Switch? Also the New 3DS XL too cause I'll probably bring that.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Top Gun posted:

Is it possible to 100% the worlds BEFORE getting to the final boss? Like in Super Mario 64?

No. You need to beat the story. The bulk of the game is actually after the credits.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RVWinkle posted:

I think you may be wrong on this:

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_games_worldwide

You can excuse many of those games for being bundled with the console I suppose but Nintendo still has a very strong showing in terms of best selling games of all time. Assasin's Creed has no representation at all so it's hardly the blockbuster.

Madden games are/were regularly the highest selling game every year and that page just openly dismisses the franchise. :psyduck:

... it also lists only the PS3/360 versions of GTA V :wtc: which had sold over 80 million units as of May this year yet they list it as only being in the 50s.

That list is so rigged and cherry-picked it'd be hilarious if it wasn't so sad. Nintendo has been around for decades so yes, they have some big sellers but they absolutely do not make games that regularly compete with GTA/CoD/etc's numbers.

e: That multi platform list has minecraft at only 43 million units sold. :lol:
(https://www.polygon.com/2017/2/27/14755644/minecraft-sales-122m-copies)

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 31, 2017

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

the truth posted:

No. You need to beat the story. The bulk of the game is actually after the credits.

I loved trying (and failing) to 100% SM64. Sounds like this game is right up my alley.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rolo posted:

I loved trying (and failing) to 100% SM64. Sounds like this game is right up my alley.

At least have the confidence that Odyssey has tighter controls than 64.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I had read that Odyssey tries to force you into using the motion control setup, and that handheld mode isn't really playable. I have only played in handheld mode and those reports of bad control schemes are not even remotely true. I've had zero issues.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sounds like the camera is much less bullshit too. I never got over that in 64.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Midjack posted:

Sounds like the camera is much less bullshit too. I never got over that in 64.

Definitely, analog controls over camera are very much appreciated. The C-Buttons never clicked for me that well on 64, but it's all we had then.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I had read that Odyssey tries to force you into using the motion control setup, and that handheld mode isn't really playable. I have only played in handheld mode and those reports of bad control schemes are not even remotely true. I've had zero issues.

i've been using the pro controller for the entire game and it's done fine. no complaints at all

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I said come in! posted:

the only thing that ive noticed is that certain situations the cap circle throw would be nice to have easier, since shaking the whole system makes it hard to track the screen, but its a incredibly minor gripe, handheld mode is cool and good

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
There's at least 1 moon I'm sure is impossible without motion controls and other than that I've never really used them. East Tower or whatever it's called in Sand Kingdom where you need to sprint a bullet bill across a huge space before it blows.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Is anyone else having trouble with motion aiming in Odyssey? It works fine for me in other games but in Odyssey the camera just kind of spazzes out and goes in random directions as I tilt the controller.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

lol that Wii U line

Don’t be surprised if that Switch line gets awfully close to the Wii line in the next 8 weeks or so. The Wii (and Wii U) launched around the holidays and got that holiday sales bump pretty much immediately. The Switch is going to get that bump like 9 months into its lifespan so I’ll be interested to see how steeply that line increases.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Is anyone else having trouble with motion aiming in Odyssey? It works fine for me in other games but in Odyssey the camera just kind of spazzes out and goes in random directions as I tilt the controller.

On handheld mode it only expects the right JoyCon for camera functions which is unfortunate. It should be been like BOTW.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Rolo posted:

I’m not a typically obsessive or compulsive person, but I have always been a bit of a completionist when it comes to video games unless it has poor design or requires pointless grinding.

SMO has wonderful design and no grinding, but I don’t think I will be completing this game anytime soon. There is just so much. You can easily get hundreds of moons because so many are out in plain sight, but in almost every level there are at least a dozen (or some multiple of that) hidden challenges.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the truth posted:

I’m not a typically obsessive or compulsive person, but I have always been a bit of a completionist when it comes to video games unless it has poor design or requires pointless grinding.

SMO has wonderful design and no grinding, but I don’t think I will be completing this game anytime soon. There is just so much. You can easily get hundreds of moons because so many are out in plain sight, but in almost every level there are at least a dozen (or some multiple of that) hidden challenges.

100%ing SMO seems really feasible, whereas going for all 900 of those korok seeds seems like an exercise in frustration

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

On handheld mode it only expects the right JoyCon for camera functions which is unfortunate. It should be been like BOTW.

Oh, wow, that's bizarre but it does work right with the Joy Cons separated from the system. It's even stranger that they chose to do aiming but not the first person camera like that.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

100%ing SMO seems really feasible, whereas going for all 900 of those korok seeds seems like an exercise in frustration

I would never go for all of the Korok seeds. I didn’t even max out my gear slots or find all of the shrines because so many of them were just lame combat trials.

I anticipate that I will eventually 100% SMO, but now that I am into the post-game I anticipate taking it a bit slower.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but I really love this thing. This is the best console gimmick ever and the best idea Nintendo has had since just making the best consoles in general back in the early-mid 90's.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

alf_pogs posted:

I need to get back to doing that, but re-doing the interactive map for the seeds i already have is gonna loving SUCK since I had like 650 last time i remembered.

Mario Question: Is there a way to find out which purple coins you've missed? Most places I am missing like 6-9 coins and it's frustrating

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Dizz posted:

I need to get back to doing that, but re-doing the interactive map for the seeds i already have is gonna loving SUCK since I had like 650 last time i remembered.

Mario Question: Is there a way to find out which purple coins you've missed? Most places I am missing like 6-9 coins and it's frustrating

I haven't seen any sort of hint system for them. There was a particular 3 pack of purple coins in the Sand Kingdom that were really frustrating to find.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dizz posted:

Just a heads up you could probably learn to play guitar or get really good at cooking in the time it would take to collect all of those and the loot is better than a digital turd making fun of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you reenter one of those self-contained platforming challenge areas, Cappy will tell you whether or not there are any moons left there, and after that, if there are purple coins to be found there, he'll say so. So you can at least narrow things down that way.

• Locked thread