Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord. I don't know how MP-efficient casting fist is, but it's certainly turn-efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Glazius posted:

Good lord. I don't know how MP-efficient casting fist is, but it's certainly turn-efficient.

950% damage to one target for 50 TP isn't terribly efficient as far as skills go, but the Assault Wand also has stuff like the +230 ATK and the fact that Heavy Strike requires absolutely no setup working in its favor.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

RegalStar posted:

No. Only BGM is available.

I am sad

I'll never get to hear all the panicked lines

Also, the bats in the 4th stratum are a pain but I don't want to sacrifice my accessories for resist sleep.

Decisions.

Oh, and good job on that boss fight, Ragnar.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 24, 2017

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Elemancer is the best class for using Heavy Strike with because Common Magic works on it. So yes, the most spellcasting-y class in the game is also the best one for dunking things by bopping them on the head. (Reserve magic also works on it and you can combine that with Dance Oracle for even more hilarity, but you'd have to charge it up for a turn with a spell that does no damage. Maybe it could be interesting in a chain party setup?)

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Does the elemancer do more than 8000 damage in one hit?

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Common magic adds 50% buff, and the base damage seems to be around 3.6k here. Elemancers don't have the STR bonus that Divine Punishers have though, so it probably would have add about 1k-1.5k or so damage here assuming someone else have used an INT-based attack on the same turn.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

RegalStar posted:

Common magic adds 50% buff, and the base damage seems to be around 3.6k here. Elemancers don't have the STR bonus that Divine Punishers have though, so it probably would have add about 1k-1.5k or so damage here assuming someone else have used an INT-based attack on the same turn.

Divine Punisher's STR bonus is like +8 at level 99 so it's worth less than nothing compared to a 50% buff.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

So basically you take a Therian from your guild, make them an elemancer, and give them common magic maxed, so they can bash things with the assault wand, right.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

By the way, did you ever fight those punching 5 stratum FOEs?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

By the way, did you ever fight those punching 5 stratum FOEs?

Son of a...

Bleh. I forgot.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Son of a...

Bleh. I forgot.

Well I kind of use your fights and analysis as a demo before I fight my own so I was looking for it.

It's a bit different from just reading the lp.

Well you're over levelled now but eh.

I used the faq instead to find the best party.

Anyway, I'm sure I said this before, but thanks for this lp. It helped a lot. Reading opinions on monsters is always helpful.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Seconding that. Just having a very open, honest guide to classes and skills is great. EO has always been really bad about making your skill investments clear, so having such a clearcut guide was super helpful. And the LP itself was fantastic.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Thirded. I've been using this thread in lieu of an actual FAQ for almost all of the mechanical questions I've had. It's just about all in here somewhere, and remembering the misadventures of our plucky young guild is a bonus.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, on top of being an entertaining LP, it's been really great having all this mechanical information as a resource. I think I'd probably still be complaining about the Crystal Dragon in the megathread if it weren't for being able to check out its mechanics thanks to this LP.

I've also gotten to see a lot of party compositions in action using a bunch of different methods to overcome challenges, which has simultaneously helped me see how different classes work and contributed to my compulsive need to level one of everything, so that's good too :v:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I still don't know how the Crystal Dragon works.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Clarste posted:

I still don't know how the Crystal Dragon works.

From what I could tell, it's just a boss that acts randomly, but refrains from using the same skill twice in a row. And either switches forms when you deal over 10% of its maximum HP in damage to it, or until a certain number of turns pass. I dunno, I wasn't able to decipher all of it (which is partly why the notes in Ragnar's writeup were a bit vague.) EO5's boss AI have a lot of extra scripting in them I don't understand. Eternal Tyrant's (Localized name for the final boss) AI was so utterly confusing that I didn't even bother with it. :suicide:

This was about as much as I was able to get out of Crystal Dragon's AI files before I just threw my hands up and gave up.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I just understood a couple of major things:

Use mana guard in the first form. Use line guard in the second.

Bind head for first form. Bind legs for second.

Equip everyone with sleep resist accessories for free turns!

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I just understood a couple of major things:

Use mana guard in the first form. Use line guard in the second.

Bind head for first form. Bind legs for second.

Equip everyone with sleep resist accessories for free turns!

Eternal Lament still tries to head bind everyone even if you block sleep.

Honestly I don't really like this thing. Clear Breath is supposed to be anti-buff but that's not really a strategic element when it just randomly pulls the move out of its rear end regardless of situation.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Head binds are only annoying, sleep is run ending.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
https://twitter.com/RagnarHomsar/status/926747130416439297

Only two updates left, and I've already recorded one of them.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Hope the guild is able to call Ultraman for help.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Unicron...is that you under the effects of the Japanizing Beam?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 46.

Also, Star Devourer writeup. There is no vote on the party for it this time.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Well, I can never not see this thing as Lumpy Space Princess's edgy OC self-insert. I'd say "thanks for ruining that" but its been pointed out before that the bosses in this series can be a bit overdesigned, so eh. Still, this thing is better than whatever Ur-Devil was supposed to be. Probably makes a better fight too.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Is it sad that I started laughing when I saw the final boss? Because I looked at its face and I immediately burst out laughing because it looked like a hamster with full cheek pouches more than anything.

Anyways, good luck with defeating the death hamster!

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
I think it should deserve a passing mention that Star Devourer will always attempt to use Full Burst when all parts and present and functional (that is, free of sleep and petrify), and you will have either disrupted the attack by sleeping/petrifying/killing any part or stunning a part BEFORE the parts prepare to co-op, have activated Aegis Shield, or have all of your characters (without instant death protection and 100% defense from Sylphscreen) dying horribly to it. It starts with all parts active and I'm sure more than one accidental game over has been earned from people planning but forgetting to use Aegis Shield on turn 1.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I've seen so many fights involving this guy.

The one using lure was especially notable.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, Star Devourer's design is not really that interesting. Especially considering the last stratum boss was edgelord dragon. :v:

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
The artbook says star devourer was designed based on the "star child skull"

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

That thing looks like it's a bit less bloody WH40k mid-level Chaos corrupted something servitor.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So this was an optional superboss? You could actually clear the last floor without fighting it? I'm not clear exactly what the seals are for.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Glazius posted:

So this was an optional superboss? You could actually clear the last floor without fighting it? I'm not clear exactly what the seals are for.

Correct. You can get the postgame ending, minus one final thing, without fighting Star Devourer.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
A superboss that enters via jumpscare? At least I saw it here before I inevitably got spooked and dropped my 3DS again.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

The end.

Thank you very much for reading.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

The first Regeneration: Rocket Engine actually looks like it's regenerating the Bomb Chamber, if the text is any indication.

Likewise, the first Regeneration: Bomb Chamber is actually the Rocket Engine... did they switch the names for the localization?

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 6, 2017

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

AweStriker posted:

The first Regeneration: Rocket Engine actually looks like it's regenerating the Bomb Chamber, if the text is any indication.

Likewise, the first Regeneration: Bomb Chamber is actually the Rocket Engine... did they switch the names for the localization?

...I believe I've gotten the parts mixed up. Ugh.

I've got other things to take care of right now, but I'll go and fix that later. Hell of a goddamn downer right after finishing the thing, haha.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I ship it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Thank you for playing!

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
Two Etrian odyssey LPs finished during the same day.
Did you plan that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

Two Etrian odyssey LPs finished during the same day.
Did you plan that?

Nope. It just kinda happened. I intended for this LP to be done back in September, but real life got in the way.

• Locked thread