Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

EmmyOk posted:

Every few months I go back and read the couple of chapters in Eyeshield 21 where Sena first shows his face, it's so drat good. A full re-read may be in order.
I read Eyeshield until the end of the Christmas Bowl and then I stop reading because the final arc sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I read Eyeshield until the end of the Christmas Bowl and then I stop reading because the final arc sucks

It's not great as I recall and just felt "too much" I guess. However the final chapter is great and could be read directly after the Christmas Bowl. I like the idea of them all going off to college and life not ending after high school, that they all go to different colleges and universities and end up on different teams. It's really well done. But yeah things end with the legendary 60-yard magnum imo. I also like Hiruma telling Musashi how he felt using Kurita as a proxy in that scene :kimchi:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
can an american familiar with baseball recommend a video demonstrating the different kind of pitches? like i understand they're different but i'm curious by how much

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Christmas Bowl wasn't all that great either. Really strong ending though.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jose posted:

can an american familiar with baseball recommend a video demonstrating the different kind of pitches? like i understand they're different but i'm curious by how much
Some basics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H09TIJ4a4fg

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this is really good but are there any that have some good cameras at the batters view so you can see it in slow mo change?
'

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

Every few months I go back and read the couple of chapters in Eyeshield 21 where Sena first shows his face, it's so drat good. A full re-read may be in order.

I just did that, coincidentally!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Oh my god that newest (posted) chapter of We Never Learn was so good. The more she works to support the other two the more I root for Furuhashi. They're all really cute though, so it's hard to support one too much over the other, which is a weird change from most harem/rom-com manga where there's one or two obvious mains and the rest are likable enough but just pad out the story.

Also leave it to this series to make an 'accidental text to the wrong person' not only have a positive outcome, but a loving hilarious one.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Do you think Sekijou has feelings for Ogata?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Read the manga, she plainly stated at the end of the last chapter that she doesn't like anyone and just wants to be really, really close friends with Rizu. I see no reason to doubt her words.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Then why was she asking about which hairstyle Ogata would like?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm rooting for Sekijou and her 100% not gay not crush.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

Then why was she asking about which hairstyle Ogata would like?

Have you never crowdsourced information on what hairstyle your super close friends would like best on you? Maybe you need to step up your friendship game.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
And here’s the latest official chapter of We Never Learn.

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/36/page/1

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I totally forgot about Rizu's sleeping habits. Cute chapter, I like that she was so scared she texted everyone she knew.

I really have fallen for this series, they're running a promo in Japan right now where you get a bookmark of one girl packaged with Volume 3 and I almost bought three copies to get them all.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

alkanphel posted:

I just did that, coincidentally!

I just reread the Dinosaurs, Christmas Bowl, and World Youth Cup matches and they were all great. WYC arc is definitely way too OTT though and also the weird power of the black man. God I love that ending chapter so so much though.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

I just reread the Dinosaurs, Christmas Bowl, and World Youth Cup matches and they were all great. WYC arc is definitely way too OTT though and also the weird power of the black man. God I love that ending chapter so so much though.

Yeah I really forgot a lot of it, so re-reading it again was a nice surprise. And yeah the WYC arc felt very out of place!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If I recall correctly Eyeshield's writer wasn't involved with the last arc.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Fabricated posted:

If I recall correctly Eyeshield's writer wasn't involved with the last arc.

I heard this a lot as an offhand comment, but I never found an actual source for it. Is that what happened?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The best part about sports manga is they can make you care about and be invested in our hero's opponents. They're often not villainous and have the same goal as our protagonists. The best Eyeshield 21 matches were against teams the Devil Bats had a connection to like Oujo or people like the Dinosaurs with their own hopes and dreams. The Christmas Bowl and WYC both suffered from opponents whose only characteristics were elitist shitheads. Also most individual narratives hag long since been concluded so trying to act like Monta beating another catcher felt old hat. Sena had become the myth long before he beat Yamamoto, it didn't feel like this was his final obstacle. It was nothing compared to him revealing his face for example.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I totally forgot about Rizu's sleeping habits. Cute chapter, I like that she was so scared she texted everyone she knew.

I really have fallen for this series, they're running a promo in Japan right now where you get a bookmark of one girl packaged with Volume 3 and I almost bought three copies to get them all.

Furuhashi's faces or Rizu being ultra cute are making it real hard to choose my favorite :derp:

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Chapter 2 of Full Drive, the table tennis manga is out. I don't super care about table tennis but it's hard not to care a little when reading this. This series runs on so much hype it's clear how much the author/characters care about the sport, so it ends up being super endearing. No idea how the actual story development is gonna turn out but...yeah. So far, just enjoying the way everyone gets so hyped up about it haha.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Latest chapter of Robot x Laserbeam really doesn't fill me with confidence in the series' direction.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Golem Heart seems like it'll be a fun romp. It's got an almost black clover energy to it.
Also the artstyle is adorable.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it seems alright. pretty standard fair but fun

The Lord of Hats posted:

Latest chapter of Robot x Laserbeam really doesn't fill me with confidence in the series' direction.

it fills me with confidence in the author's love of helicopters. also everyone looks exactly the same after the time skip

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Irritated Goat posted:

Furuhashi's faces or Rizu being ultra cute are making it real hard to choose my favorite :derp:

Ironically, the more Furuhashi works hard to support her buds the more I root for her. It doesn't hurt that the page with her in the ponytail at the end of the texting chapter was weapons-grade adorable.

Though honestly, my favorite tends to be whoever (of the main three) the chapter I'm reading is about, they're just so good.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why is nobody supporting the teacher.

Swimmer girl lost my support the moment she chose to back down.

Even though I can totally understand her reasons for doing so!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I'm torn between Uruka, sensei, and Asumi

This is probably the best harem trash I've ever read

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hate-Senpai posted:

Why is nobody supporting the teacher.

Swimmer girl lost my support the moment she chose to back down.

Even though I can totally understand her reasons for doing so!

probably because the main guy is a minor and she isn't

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
But sensei is cute.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm for mermaid because, frankly, she's the only one who's actualy being sensible about her life choices and is here only because she's put too much in STR and not enough in WIS.

But I'm also not stupid and I'm sure some worst girl will get it anyway because this is a Jump love triangle and those never end well.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
All girls are good so there is no worst girl.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Tarezax posted:

If this ends and I get a resolution, I'm going to dub this the greatest harem trash ever created.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tarezax posted:

I'm torn between Uruka, sensei, and Asumi

The heck, those are like all the worst options.

I think the only characters with a realistic chance are the main two, though I'm honestly not sure which one will win between them. I initially thought Furuhashi (due to her having long-ish black hair and looking more like a typical "main love interest"), then I thought Rizu (due to her getting the first sorta-kiss and generally more romance-related attention), and now I'm starting to think maybe Furuhashi again. My reasoning is that Furuhashi represents more of a "challenge" in the sense that everything wasn't all out there in the open from early on (though, to be fair, having the main love interest be the most "challenging" one is more of a shoujo trope than a shounen romcom one).

Assuming that you're not really into the whole harem wish-fulfillment aspect, series like this rely almost entirely on the quality of their comedy, and fortunately this series is pretty good with its comedy. The main character is also fairly likable.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm disappointed that Hungry Marie was canned. I was enjoying it for the bizarre premise.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was fond of the author's brand of humor.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I will never not mourn the loss of Beelzebub.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

clover was finally fully translated so if you want to spend lots of time reading about high school kids fighting and making friends and fighting some more there are 401 chapters of it and its pretty good imo

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it is. the ending is a bit of a wet fart tho and it's so weird that the final arc focused on the characters it did. where the hammerheads and erina so popular that they needed the final mini arc to themselves?

actually I started reading crows after the translation for clover ended and it's a pretty fun read too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the ending was always going to be that tbf