Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Jose posted:

i never used them because i didn't understand what they did as a kid
Coincidentally, this is when civ/4x/gs games are the most fun

Once you understand how the game works, and more importantlythe ai's blindspot the game invariably becomes trivial.

That's why civ is always more fun to play with friends on multiplayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I mean, it's not like SMAC is a super hard game even without abusing the gently caress out of crawlers. You just need a basic undestanding of how to play to your faction's strengths.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Prav posted:

suboptimal. unacceptable.

Typo posted:

inefficient and pointless by the time you get it

I suppose the earliest remedy is supply crawlers on mines and boreholes.

Or you could make your own faction that starts off with that tech and has clean reactors on everything by default.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Cerebral Bore posted:

I mean, it's not like SMAC is a super hard game even without abusing the gently caress out of crawlers. You just need a basic undestanding of how to play to your faction's strengths.

well that and genocide miriam asap

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
The game is supposed to stop you from building submarine aircraft carriers but I still managed to do it one time by just loving with the unit prototype interface till it broke.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Jose posted:

i never used them because i didn't understand what they did as a kid

free population basically that let's you "mine" squares anywhere on the map

it completely breaks how cities work in civ

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

well that and genocide miriam asap

Well, yeah, but that's mostly because she's super annoying.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

miriam was right

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Prav posted:

miriam was right

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What are Miriam's strengths, if you're playing her faction?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

ELITE CHRISTIAN HACKERS

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

free units + 25% bonus attack strength

also cheap probe actions/good probe defence if you're into that

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

heathen popery

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol i forgot that her last name is godwinson

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Seriously, Miriam gets disgustingly good probes which basically nullifies her only weakness. Doesn't even matter that your labs are hot garbage, just find Zak and probe his pasty nerd rear end for all the tech you could ever want.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

gradenko_2000 posted:

early conquests+probe teams

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Concordat posted:

The game is supposed to stop you from building submarine aircraft carriers but I still managed to do it one time by just loving with the unit prototype interface till it broke.
I'm if you spend enough to loving around with that blasted UI you deserve whatever advantage you can get

Typo posted:

early conquests+probe teams

+ a homicidal ai personality

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Think I'm going to reinstall it this weekend. I bought the GoG version years ago but never really got into it. How well does it work on new monitors?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Dreddout posted:

I'm if you spend enough to loving around with that blasted UI you deserve whatever advantage you can get
I'm the surprisingly not removed in patches 10 mineral trance scout team which will defend any base from worms forever.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Think I'm going to reinstall it this weekend. I bought the GoG version years ago but never really got into it. How well does it work on new monitors?
Works fine, just looks slightly worse than it did in the past.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Any mods that help with that or is that a waste of time?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Any mods that help with that or is that a waste of time?
If it's not working at all, you need to change the ini to include directdraw=0 and then manually set the resolution, but I don't think anyone ever made a "proper" widescreen mod.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
how is there not a smac thread in games

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
smacs a nice game but god that interface

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
there's this tho courtesy of the yospos pbem game

cheese-cube posted:

also smac pro-tip that im sure i've posted before: add DirectDraw=0 to Alpha Centauri.Ini in the game's install folder like below. that makes it display/scale properly on today's modern computer systems (your screen will bug the gently caress out though when it plays the secret project vids that in 640x480):

[PREFERENCES]
ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1
[Alpha Centauri]
DirectDraw=0
ds3d=1
eax=1

anthonypants posted:

also i would like to suggest adding 'DisableOpeningMovie=1' to this list

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Just fired it up myself and wiped out Morgan with some X Laser Squads as Miriam.

10 year sanctions don't mean much in the mid 22nd century!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

just fire up Civilization III and plop a mine on every tile

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
so i don't think anyone mentioned the fan patches yet. there's one called PRACX that has a ton of graphical fixes and tweaks, like you can make the window resizable, there's smoother zooming, new display modes on the map, etc. but you probably don't want to install PRACX alone because it's also integrated into another patch that fixes a bunch of bugs and prevents some crashes. also there's some minor conveniences like bases auto-building satellites if they don't have anything in the queue like they do for units

to install it, go here, get "Yitzi's Unofficial SMAX patch 3.5", unzip it into your smax directory, then get 3.5d and do the same thing. works with the version GoG sells on both windows and mac

there's another older patch by a guy called kyrub that was an attempt to improve the AI. it basically teaches it how to use crawlers and properly terraform. i wouldn't say it makes the AI "challenging" but it does make a noticeable difference, they'll build tree farms and plant forests, crawl mines, and even build boreholes. sadly it doesnt work with SMAX, only the original game

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Bug Child posted:

there's another older patch by a guy called kyrub that was an attempt to improve the AI. it basically teaches it how to use crawlers and properly terraform. i wouldn't say it makes the AI "challenging" but it does make a noticeable difference, they'll build tree farms and plant forests, crawl mines, and even build boreholes. sadly it doesnt work with SMAX, only the original game
SMAX added nothing of value other than fungal artillery so that's okay, imo.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
smax adds a bunch of extremely overpowered wonders

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

https://twitter.com/S_Rabinovitch/status/925214321772183552

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

When they think you are Yang but you're really Morgan

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

:thunk:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Communism with Chinese characteristics

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich
China is a communist ploy to destroy capitalism by pretending to be state capitalist and then subsequently crashing the global economy

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Chinese with communist characteristics

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
After seeing those graphs it's obvious that China needs a communist revolution of some sort

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Typo posted:

smax adds a bunch of extremely overpowered wonders
Also stuff like 3-res armour on the extremely-good-for-builders tech path of Formers/Aquafarms into 1-3r-1.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The old rope-a-dope!

Float like a butterfly, sting like a Xi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I always went max forests when terraforming and rushed tree farms / hybrid forests, which with a pop boom will cause you to grow completely out of control, limited only by psych / drone riots. Since you get good production to you can build a few factories in the late game to get insane production as well

Last time I played I rush bought the final ascent to transcendence on the same turn that 100+ worms popped on a nearby tile due to environmental degradation :shepface: