Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

alf_pogs posted:

100%ing SMO seems really feasible, whereas going for all 900 of those korok seeds seems like an exercise in frustration

There are some 2d levels that are absolutely designed to gently caress with you in the post game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Just had to force myself to put down Mario. It's 2:30 in the morning and the god drat game just keeps getting better and better.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Is there a limit to how many consecutive mid air hat jumps you can perform?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Glad to say my controller issues disappeared and the rest of Mario Odyssey controlled like butter. Beat the final boss at around 180 moons? Didn't actually look, but now that I'm into post game, and the game is working properly, my word I could see this lasting quite a long while. Game is a blast and I'm really glad I got it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

KingEup posted:

Is there a limit to how many consecutive mid air hat jumps you can perform?

You can jump, throw your hat and dive onto it, then throw your hat again for the extra float distance [i]and[/] dive again, but you'll only catch your hat instead of bounding off of it again.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Dizz posted:

Mario Question: Is there a way to find out which purple coins you've missed? Most places I am missing like 6-9 coins and it's frustrating

if you have a bowser amiibo he will help ya out, and cappy will say if there are purple coins in a room that you are visiting for the second time. but thats all i know of

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/925183904587202560

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Odd.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've never used mine and now I'm wondering how much I can get for it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I like playing on the big screen

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Kurtofan posted:

I like playing on the big screen

Same. The screen is a bit too small sometimes, so I'm glad I can also easily play it on television.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Not really. Tiny Japanese apartments mean the portable form's far more appealing if they don't have a big space-taking TV.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not really. Tiny Japanese apartments mean the portable form's far more appealing if they don't have a big space-taking TV.

Straight up selling it is still a bit odd.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Andrast posted:

Why would someone buy a second dock, in absence of a second Switch?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Sometimes I play in docked mode, sometimes I play in handheld mode. That's my story thanks for reading.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I haven't purchased Super Mario's Odyssey yet.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'd like a second dock so I can move the switch between the living room and bedroom TV's.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

uPen posted:

There's at least 1 moon I'm sure is impossible without motion controls and other than that I've never really used them. East Tower or whatever it's called in Sand Kingdom where you need to sprint a bullet bill across a huge space before it blows.

Wait is that he one by Jaxi Ruins hidden on a block? I’ve tried taking a Bill to it but I never make it in time even with motion controls.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I don't even own a TV :smuggo:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I also don't own a TV but I still connect my Switch to a monitor most of the time and I refuse to believe that there are people who don't own personal computers.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I also don't own a TV but I still connect my Switch to a monitor most of the time and I refuse to believe that there are people who don't own personal computers.

I haven't had a PC since 2011.

Edit: And I don't mean I have a Mac or a laptop. I haven't been able to replace my computer for six years now.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 31, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm guessing if you have multiple TVs or if you switch to your PC monitor sometimes. Switches are still hard to get in some places, so perhaps it's easier to buy a used dock than to hunt down a second Switch?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I got a laptop

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've been thinking of getting a second dock so that I can leave it in my parents place and not have to unplug poo poo if I want to bring it down there.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Evil Fluffy posted:

Madden games are/were regularly the highest selling game every year and that page just openly dismisses the franchise. :psyduck:

... it also lists only the PS3/360 versions of GTA V :wtc: which had sold over 80 million units as of May this year yet they list it as only being in the 50s.

That list is so rigged and cherry-picked it'd be hilarious if it wasn't so sad. Nintendo has been around for decades so yes, they have some big sellers but they absolutely do not make games that regularly compete with GTA/CoD/etc's numbers.

e: That multi platform list has minecraft at only 43 million units sold. :lol:
(https://www.polygon.com/2017/2/27/14755644/minecraft-sales-122m-copies)

Are you sure you're not mixing up that GTAV number with copies shipped to retailers? All the sources I'm looking at recently say GTAV has only shipped 80 million, but nothing about direct sales. And this wiki (traditionally) doesn't include units shipped. I can see NPD reports saying GTAV is highest but NPD doesn't show numbers.

For Minecraft, while seemingly dubious, they are doing what they normally do. The wiki usually* only cites good sources for specific numbers. The PC numbers are easy to find for minecraft, but they links you shared don't specify the actual specific console sales are. I agree that it is kinda dumb since basic subtraction and a tiny room for error should be sufficient, but the wiki is nonetheless being consistent.

As far as I quickly looked up for Madden, I could only find sales rankings from NPD and overall Gross Financial Profits, which aren't useful for this list. The only recent number I could quickly find for Madden was someone predicting 5 million sales for Madden 25 from it's first year, which was apparently a high-ball number.

All in all, this wiki seems to try to stay consistent about what it counts in it's sources, and is at least honest about where/how it got it's information and when it mostly copies looser lists from wikipedia. I wouldn't call it cherry-picking, cause I'm actually in favor of more specific sales reporting.

You can still look at wikipedia's list of best selling games which seems to fit better to your points, but even then, Nintendo's games are still generally pretty prominent throughout.

*it might somewhere, somehow, ignore this but I'm not perusing a whole drat wiki of specific links and cross referencing them in a single morning for an internet argument

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Andrast posted:

They're never gonna use it, and it takes up space :ms:.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

I haven't used my dock for my Switch for actual playing in months. I could sell my dock too if I didn't find it convenient for charging.

Selling it isn't too odd since we've had multiple posters in this thread already come in to ask about buying a second dock for other places already

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ventana posted:

I haven't used my dock for my Switch for actual playing in months. I could sell my dock too if I didn't find it convenient for charging.

That's what I'm on about. Even if you don't play docked, the dock itself is handy for storage/charging.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

They should have just included a breakout cable that you can easily take with you instead of a bulky dock.

Now that I think about it, being able to sell extra docks is probably exactly why they didn't do that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A breakout cable isn't nowhere near as exciting and appealing as the dock.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
re: handheld vs. docked:

Some games look a little less good on the Big TV, like BOTW and Mario, I'll grant that. Splatoon and MK8 both look great, though. I think it comes down to how much the hardware is being pushed.

I prefer playing docked, anyway, because I love my pro controller, and it's easier on my neck. I play in portable mode at the laundromat like once a week, though. It's also great that I can bring it to my grandfather's house when I go up for holidays and have something to do during the downtime. I mean, I was doing that anyway with my 3DS, but the switch is a bit more impressive.

I wonder if it's worth picking up Jack Box before I head up there for Thanksgiving. I don't know if my cousins will all be there, they're kinda far-flung due to college.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Odyssey is great, my only real complaint is that there are two motion-controlled actions that you can't seem to do any other way, which is especially baffling since these could be mapped to the two duplicated face button actions. I hope they fix this in a patch? Especially as these a very hard to do in handheld mode.

Nintendo again showing 95% brilliance and 5% :wtc: They just will not let motion controls die for some reason.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

MZ posted:

Odyssey is great, my only real complaint is that there are two motion-controlled actions that you can't seem to do any other way, which is especially baffling since these could be mapped to the two duplicated face button actions. I hope they fix this in a patch? Especially as these a very hard to do in handheld mode.

Nintendo again showing 95% brilliance and 5% :wtc: They just will not let motion controls die for some reason.

Which actions are you talking about? If one of them is the one where your hat rotates around you I found out by accident that you can just rotate the movement joystick in a circle before throwing your hat and it will perform this action.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Which two actions? Throw up and throw down?

That's weird, though I literally have never found a use for either.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

BisterdDave posted:

Which actions are you talking about? If one of them is the one where your hat rotates around you I found out by accident that you can just rotate the movement joystick in a circle before throwing your hat and it will perform this action.

Yes that and the homing-hat thing.

That's good to know, but the game should tell you this :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Which two actions? Throw up and throw down?

That's weird, though I literally have never found a use for either.

Throwing the hat up, instantly throwing the hat down*, instantly doing the hat spin**, the homing attack, climbing/rolling/etc. faster, several transformation moves***, possibly a few other things

AFAIK none of it is required to complete the game or even get most(?) of the moons, but it means that a lot of going fast and cool tricks is impossible without motion controls and that kinda stuff is like 80% of the reason why 3D platformers are fun. It's a bizarre and garbage decision to have waggle-only moves in TYOOL 2017 especially when the entire draw of the Switch is that it works as a handheld, and even more so when there are a bunch of unused and mirrored buttons :sigh:

* Without motion controls you can only do this after a ground pound, so no mid-air throw
** Without motion controls you need to spin Mario first
*** Some can be done with Y+B
The game doesn't tell you any of this and the ingame control guide only mentions motion controls.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I have a USB ethernet adapter, so docked is very important to me. Handheld is for when I'm out, at work, or have no access to the TV.

Having options is great!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Is there a way to throw your hat and have it stay out long enough to jump on it without having to hold the throw (Y) button the entire time? I feel like holding down the button the entire time is what's inhibiting me from getting that move down.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

You can usually mash Y instead of shaking the controller to do *thing* faster (climb, or accelerate on Bullet/Banzai Bills, etc).

BisterdDave posted:

Is there a way to throw your hat and have it stay out long enough to jump on it without having to hold the throw (Y) button the entire time? I feel like holding down the button the entire time is what's inhibiting me from getting that move down.
Nah, you have to hold Y for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

BisterdDave posted:

For the hat throw -> dive combo, at least, you don't need to hold down Y while you jump. In my experience just holding Y slightly longer than a normal button press keeps cappy out long enough to bounce off of without requiring any awkward contortions.

• Locked thread