Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

what cool movement tricks are associated with the down hat throw or forward hat throw? I can't think of any.

The spinning hat is also only good for collecting coins or dealing with masses of enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TFRazorsaw posted:

what cool movement tricks are associated with the down hat throw or forward hat throw? I can't think of any.

The spinning hat is also only good for collecting coins or dealing with masses of enemies.

Not so much specific "tricks" as just being able to do things you can't do without motion controls. Grabbing onto things like the forks in Luncheon Kingdom or poles in New Donk City from places you couldn't otherwise, capturing enemies that are below/above you, that sort of thing. IIRC you can also extend your hat throw with motion controls which again opens up more possibilities. These things can be the difference between being able to pull off some crazy stuff or not being able to. v:shobon:v

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I just wish there wasn't that weird delay that you need to do the dive-hat-jump thing, but I guess I just need to git good

Also, the bonk animation against the wall is swiftly becoming the thing of my nightmares

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
? What delay?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really wish the Ruined Kingdom was bigger. That place owns so hard

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Every new Blade they reveal makes me more excited for Xenoblade

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really wish the Ruined Kingdom was bigger. That place owns so hard

No kidding. My dream DLC includes expanding that kingdom to include more area and a shop so you can buy the kingdom’s theme costume, a suit of plate armor(not an actual spoiler, but it does give away the theme of the relatively late-game kingdom in question).

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Glad to say my controller issues disappeared and the rest of Mario Odyssey controlled like butter. Beat the final boss at around 180 moons? Didn't actually look, but now that I'm into post game, and the game is working properly, my word I could see this lasting quite a long while. Game is a blast and I'm really glad I got it.

What finally fixed the issue for you? Mine are lagging with annoying frequency and I would love to not have to send em back to Nintendo. Close to the switch, don't have my body in between, etc....still lags.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Every new Blade they reveal makes me more excited for Xenoblade

I like the dr Scholl's cool gel inserts on his buttocks

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Jonas Albrecht posted:

That's what I'm on about. Even if you don't play docked, the dock itself is handy for storage/charging.

I mean, it's worth noting that if I could sell my dock reliably for $70 then yeah I'd probably sell it. Since I still use mine for charging/ethernet/sometimes wanting to play on TV, I don't think I'd get much if I just sold it for $30 or something.

But think of it in context for someone that the above things didn't apply, if they had good wifi/didn't care about TV/perfectly okay charging setup at home. In that case, the dock would be useless and I wouldn't care if I sold it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
One thing that I've seen frustrating some people trying to do fancy Mario jump combos is starting off with a wall jump. You can wall jump any time, but you can only hat bounce as the first jump in a combo, if that makes sense. If you WJ first you can't follow it with a HB, but you can HB into a wall and WJ from there. HB meaning either diving toward the hat during a ground pound, or just jumping on it normally if you hold it out using Y.

Basically these work:
any jump -> throw -> HB -> WJ -> throw -> dive
any jump -> WJ -> throw -> dive

These don't:
any jump -> WJ -> throw -> HB -> (more stuff)
any jump -> throw -> HB -> throw -> HB -> (more stuff)

So if you are scaling a high cliff this way, start with triple or side jump then throw -> bounce THEN walljump, then try one more dive to reach the peak.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The character design for Xenoblade is growing on me

I just thought they had a few bad characters, but if it was an actual design choice to have them look like...that

then hey, I enjoy bizarre poo poo as much as the next guy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Electromax posted:

One thing that I've seen frustrating some people trying to do fancy Mario jump combos is starting off with a wall jump. You can wall jump any time, but you can only hat bounce as the first jump in a combo, if that makes sense. If you WJ first you can't follow it with a HB, but you can HB into a wall and WJ from there. HB meaning either diving toward the hat during a ground pound, or just jumping on it normally if you hold it out using Y.

Basically these work:
any jump -> throw -> HB -> WJ -> throw -> dive
any jump -> WJ -> throw -> dive

These don't:
any jump -> WJ -> throw -> HB -> (more stuff)
any jump -> throw -> HB -> throw -> HB -> (more stuff)

So if you are scaling a high cliff this way, start with triple or side jump then throw -> bounce THEN walljump, then try one more dive to reach the peak.

good writeup!!!!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What I don't get, is what determines whether or not you will bounce off the hat? It seems like pure random chance whether Mario bounces off the hat. I'm not even talking about perplex jump combos, just straight jump --> hat throw --> dive. Half the time the hat bounce doesn't work.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You have to be holding Y

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

RCarr posted:

What I don't get, is what determines whether or not you will bounce off the hat? It seems like pure random chance whether Mario bounces off the hat. I'm not even talking about perplex jump combos, just straight jump --> hat throw --> dive. Half the time the hat bounce doesn't work.

Holding Y/X throughout the whole dive will make Mario Hat Bounce.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wait is that he one by Jaxi Ruins hidden on a block? I’ve tried taking a Bill to it but I never make it in time even with motion controls.
Huh, same, I didn't know motion controls could do that but I feel like I'm never even remotely close, how do you get that one?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Mario looks 1000% better docked, especially on a nice tv. The tablet is nice but you lose some of the finer details and the colors are way less vivid.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Huh, same, I didn't know motion controls could do that but I feel like I'm never even remotely close, how do you get that one?

hitch a ride with a bullet bill, land on the crooked pillars outside the wall. A second bullet bill should be chasing you. There's two pillars, and only one of them will take the bill on a path that doesn't knock it in to the wall and make it explode. Once it clears the wall, jump to the other pillar closer to the box and wait. Mindfuck the second bullet, shake your controllers like a Macarena man on speed and you should be able to hit the box just before the timer runs out.

Spoilered if you don't want the solution to the puzzle I quoted.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

uPen posted:

There's at least 1 moon I'm sure is impossible without motion controls and other than that I've never really used them. East Tower or whatever it's called in Sand Kingdom where you need to sprint a bullet bill across a huge space before it blows.

there is one post game in the forest kingdom on top of a girder overlooking the forest that I am pretty sure is impossible to get without motion controls too. I was only barely able to get it with the extra stretch from the onion guys + the little hop from exiting stretching + the jump from jumping out + diving

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Does anybody know how to make Mario fall from a ledge he's holding without using motion controls?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You have to be holding Y

Nah, you just have to get there fast enough. I do the midair dive bounce all the time and until this discussion I forgot you could hold Y to extend throws.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hammer Bro. posted:

Does anybody know how to make Mario fall from a ledge he's holding without using motion controls?

Nah, you just have to get there fast enough. I do the midair dive bounce all the time and until this discussion I forgot you could hold Y to extend throws.

No you don't hold y to extend the throw, you press z and y to dive, you have to hold y when you dive or you won't bounce.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

Press "down" on the left stick. The reason I say "down" and not down is because it of course all depends on where the camera is at the time.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

there is one post game in the forest kingdom on top of a girder overlooking the forest that I am pretty sure is impossible to get without motion controls too. I was only barely able to get it with the extra stretch from the onion guys + the little hop from exiting stretching + the jump from jumping out + diving

So, about that particular moon in the forest you're supposed to use the glider dude from the top of the observation deck and just glide down to it,iirc but I'm impressed your way worked.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wait is that he one by Jaxi Ruins hidden on a block? I’ve tried taking a Bill to it but I never make it in time even with motion controls.

Yeah that's the one. The trick is you actually need 2 bullet bills, one you ride partway and the second you hop to to finish. Even then I needed motion control sprinting the whole way.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I'm really impressed that Mario has kept essentially the same basic move-set from 21 years ago and it still feels great to play. Miyamoto really nailed it on his first try at 3D with Mario 64.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

One thing I found out is, on top of not being able to hat jump after a wall jump, you also can't hat jump out of a transformation.

Was trying to pull off some shenanigans by shooting out of the water as a cheep cheep into a hat jump but alas it was not to be.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MZ posted:

I'm really impressed that Mario has kept essentially the same basic move-set from 21 years ago and it still feels great to play. Miyamoto really nailed it on his first try at 3D with Mario 64.

The moveset(triple jump, backflip, summersault) is actually from Donkey Kong for Gameboy(1994)!

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Polygon is hinting that an expanded version of Night in the Woods dubbed "Weird Autumn" might be coming out on Switch in December!

I skipped it on PS4 & PC because I figured I didn't have the time for a story-driven indie game, but being able to bring it along on my commute would definitely change that.

Kikkoman fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 31, 2017

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The moveset(triple jump, backflip, summersault) is actually from Donkey Kong for Gameboy(1994)!

I wish they would bring back handstand jumping from DK94, even though the ground pound jump is sort of similar.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

uPen posted:

There's at least 1 moon I'm sure is impossible without motion controls and other than that I've never really used them. East Tower or whatever it's called in Sand Kingdom where you need to sprint a bullet bill across a huge space before it blows.

Theres one in cap kingdom that requires a motion shake frog jump. It took me forever to get it because I didn’t even think to shake the thing since I never use the motion controls.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kikkoman posted:

Polygon is hinting that an expanded version of Night in the Woods dubbed "Weird Autumn" might be coming out on Switch in December!

I mean, you could probably get rid of the "might" in that sentence.

https://twitter.com/NightInTheWoods/status/925014487064817664

I'm guessing Nintendo wants to release this news in their next Nindies video.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Night in the Woods would be perfect for the Ouya.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Oh man Night in the Woods is finally coming to the Game Gear

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

MZ posted:

Great, responsive movement has always been a hallmark of Mario games (though the original SMB feels pretty floaty compared to everything since), and I think that's what's really most of what's separated them from the cadre of platform-alikes throughout the past 30+ years.

But yeah, it can't be overstated how well Nintendo threaded that needle in the transition to 3D. The only thing even remotely comparable from that era in my mind is Banjo-Kazooie, which came 2 years later and gates half its movement options behind pads/pickups.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Vegastar posted:

So, about that particular moon in the forest you're supposed to use the glider dude from the top of the observation deck and just glide down to it,iirc but I'm impressed your way worked.

huh. I had never made it there, so I never knew that existed. Time to see if I can get some of those other moons I hadn't been able to!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Oh man Night in the Woods is finally coming to the Game Gear
That's a weird way to spell the Gizmondo.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

PantsBandit posted:

One thing I found out is, on top of not being able to hat jump after a wall jump, you also can't hat jump out of a transformation.

Was trying to pull off some shenanigans by shooting out of the water as a cheep cheep into a hat jump but alas it was not to be.

I think you can! Try exiting the transformation, throw hat, hold Y, ZR to dive into it. I feel like I have done this at least once.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Re: dockchat. I like playing either way, but some games I'll insist on docked for surround sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

enojy posted:

I think you can! Try exiting the transformation, throw hat, hold Y, ZR to dive into it. I feel like I have done this at least once.

I don't think so unless i was doing something wrong. He was just grabbing the cap like he does after a wall jump.

• Locked thread