Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
a tragic blouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

the new stores are very bad. wandering salespeople are no more: now you're asked to form one big single-file line as soon as you enter the store, and once you reach the front of the line an apple employee assigns you to a specific salesperson. i just wanted a mighty mouse and had to wait in lines for like 20 minutes

what the gently caress are you talking about

i went to get an iphone 8 and as soon as i walked in someone took my name down and told me to go browse and someone would find me. then they found, me i told them what i wanted, and 60 seconds later i was walking out with a phone

the layout is retarded though, giant 30' square tables with like 18" of product on it

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Polo-Rican posted:

the new stores are very bad. wandering salespeople are no more: now you're asked to form one big single-file line as soon as you enter the store, and once you reach the front of the line an apple employee assigns you to a specific salesperson. i just wanted a mighty mouse and had to wait in lines for like 20 minutes

download the Apple store app, grab one off the shelf, scan it with your phone, walk out, never talk to anyone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about

i went to get an iphone 8 and as soon as i walked in someone took my name down and told me to go browse and someone would find me. then they found, me i told them what i wanted, and 60 seconds later i was walking out with a phone

the layout is retarded though, giant 30' square tables with like 18" of product on it
this has continued to be my experience except during big product launches when they have limited workers available for non-new product sales

Jimmy Carter posted:

download the Apple store app, grab one off the shelf, scan it with your phone, walk out, never talk to anyone
this, too, except that there's a maximum item value you can do this with, and i'm not entirely sure what it is.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ahaha this is perfect

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

carry on then posted:

ahaha this is perfect
the ol' salty gruber

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

carry on then posted:

ahaha this is perfect

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

carry on then posted:

ahaha this is perfect

lmao. gently caress you gruber!

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
my iPhone 5 is cracked so bad the home button fell out. getting the iphonx experience early, thanks gravity+marble tile.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Kenny Logins posted:

the ol' salty gruber

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

hahaha, Gruber is definitely salty about his clique of reviewer friends (and him, possibly) not getting an iPhone X

sorry 50 year old guys... turns out yung youtubers with 3 min videos and half a million followers are way more attractive to marketers than long form 20 page articles, who knew
lol gruber is so salty

saltier than when he switched from "ad blockers are not a problem if you have good content that readers respect" to "gently caress you marco your loving adblocker is blocking my loving ads you fucker"? possibly!

hes learning an important lesson in just where techbloggers rank in the hierarchy of people that 21st century consumer electronics powerhouse apple inc think are important

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

The Management posted:

there are two ways to make a chip fast: high clock speed and bigger chip area.

power usage increases with the square of the frequency, so high frequency burns much more power and gets much hotter. but it’s “free” for chip makers in that there isn’t a per-unit cost.
bigger chip area can do more things in parallel but it costs more to make. they stay cooler and therefore run longer at that same performance level.

apple went all in on big area with relatively low clocks. they made a chip that is very expensive to make, and at the same power consumption as competitors it murders them in performance. they are paying for it in chip price, but they thought it was worth it. because of this design it can’t clock up much higher. so even with active cooling you can’t push it too far, although it will be able to maintain performance.

fun fact, it doesn’t support 32-bit ARM at all. even if iOS didn’t drop support for ARMv7, this chip couldn’t run those old apps.

also forgot to quote this cool and good post

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
it is a complete mystery as to why apple wanted the first reviews to be from starry-eyed uncritical enthusiasts and not old fart nerds who will write 1200 words about pixel ratios

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

tech journalists are dumb as gently caress and need to write “balanced” articles that focus on stupid poo poo. youtube kids are just excited about having a new phone and can convey that to their audience.

they should give one to that girl who got her dad fired, she seemed p excited about it at the time

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
guys i am beginning to suspect that apple seeds early review units according to a strategy that will create the most positive buzz about their new product at launch, and not because the recipients "deserve" them or have a journalistic dedication to the truth

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I barely have any idea what Gentoo is, but this is one of my favorite images.
here have the whole set

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

FMguru posted:

here have the whole set

"schlong swallowing cock goblin" kills me every time

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
it still comes with a lovely 5w charger to add to my skullpile of useless white cubes. that alone automatically disqualifies it from a perfect score.

i don't care if they never send my an early review unit ever, someone has to make a stand for the sake of integrity.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol what is qualcomm even doing?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FMguru posted:

lol gruber is so salty

saltier than when he switched from "ad blockers are not a problem if you have good content that readers respect" to "gently caress you marco your loving adblocker is blocking my loving ads you fucker"? possibly!

hes learning an important lesson in just where techbloggers rank in the hierarchy of people that 21st century consumer electronics powerhouse apple inc think are important

grubes is permasalt since the bernard bros stole the election

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

apparently doing transcoding by hand

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

carry on then posted:

ahaha this is perfect

:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

carry on then posted:

ahaha this is perfect

b i t c h m a d e

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

moar cores!!!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

carry on then posted:

ahaha this is perfect

what would gruber do if he found out one of the reviewers had a youtube in which she took a bath in a bowl of froot loops

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Wait people in this thread are actually buying an iPhone X lmao

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

actionjackson posted:

I'm waiting for the 4.7" X2 next year.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

apparently doing transcoding by hand

bespoke hand coded frames

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

actionjackson posted:

yes, got to cash in my data science checks :smug:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
saving my money for da home pod so timb gets to experience the joy of my homely fart sounds being beamed directly to hq

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

actionjackson posted:

yes. i've ran the numbers and it should be twice as fast as my iphone 5.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

the old spicy pentile!!! how could you give your own brother the spicy pentile tim

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

samsung galaxy x

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Linguica posted:

the old spicy pentile!!! how could you give your own brother the spicy pentile tim

ahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahaahaahahaahahaaha

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Linguica posted:

idgi

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

samsung galaxy x

looking forward to every android maker dropping touch ID and rushing out face ID next year.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

the subpixel layout, tho in this case it looks like it's RGBW instead of RGBG, which was the old shittier way.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i guess that doesnt actually describe what pentile is to someone who doesnt know so my bad, but this describes it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PenTile_matrix_family

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

in a 450dpi screen it is extremely important the pixels are the right shape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
these pixels are making me thirsty