Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Do you have the chipset drivers installed with the amd power plan?

Yeah I am using the latest drivers and the latest firmware. Well, after disabling SMT and other bells & whistles in the BIOS, the system seems to be reasonably stable - even though yesterday it did crap out on me for no reason while I was in the midst of writing a SA post. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Board: ASUS Prime x370-pro
CPU: 1700X

drat this board still suffers from teething troubles. The CPU core boost function causes system to crap out randomly, and I have to take special care to disable it in the BIOS after each update. It's not the processor, I can manually clock it up by several hundred megaherz and the system will be rock solid, but if the board tries to do something funny with the CPU frequency on the fly, I get random and unpredictable BSODs.

I had hoped that ASUS at least would have its poo poo together with the first-gen parts, but that seems not to have been the case. The problem remains - board firmware updates only maintain the bug.

I don't think I disabled core boost and I'm not having random BSODs (same board, but with a 1500X)

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

I don't think I disabled core boost and I'm not having random BSODs (same board, but with a 1500X)

I just don't know anymore, though, I'm beginning to suspect something fishy about Windows10 because I'm getting least terrible results on a fresh install. But drat, I guess it's time to go back to Linux or something - been planning to do so for a very long time.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm having an issue where Windows doesn't display the lock/logon screen after I lock the machine, requiring a reboot to log in.

I just don't get W10.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Yeah I am using the latest drivers and the latest firmware. Well, after disabling SMT and other bells & whistles in the BIOS, the system seems to be reasonably stable - even though yesterday it did crap out on me for no reason while I was in the midst of writing a SA post. :negative:

You probably don't want to hear this, but just RMA both the board and the processor. You shouldn't have to do those things to have a stable system, oc or no.

I'm assuming you're not doing anything silly like reusing an ancient power supply

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

New Zealand can eat me posted:

You probably don't want to hear this, but just RMA both the board and the processor. You shouldn't have to do those things to have a stable system, oc or no.

I'm assuming you're not doing anything silly like reusing an ancient power supply

The thing is, the problem is intermittent and I don't know which component exactly to RMA. At this point I'm beginning to suspect the veteran video card, which is out of warranty anyway, because I've been noticing some video tearing in Youtube/Firefox when the card is under load, causing tab crashes. Well drat, there haven't been any blowouts this afternoon while the GTX 970 had been idling. But then again, the system and the video card have been running under full load for months with no problems, the rash of BSODs is a new thing.

I need to investigate more. Will start with a can of compressed air and a fresh install of Win10.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

PerrineClostermann posted:

I'm having an issue where Windows doesn't display the lock/logon screen after I lock the machine, requiring a reboot to log in.

I just don't get W10.

Me too. It is frustrating. I think I need to reinstall, but who has time for that anymore.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I know, you just never get that 15 minutes back.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Too be fair, you don’t just reinstall the OS and call it a day. There’s also the drivers, programs and various settings. It’s a complete pain in the rear end.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best part is I can get the lock screen to return by RDPing into the machine.

But after a few RDP log-ins, the "Interactive Login Service" or whatever fails and every RDP connection instantly disconnects without bringing the lock screen back.

:windows10:

But this is the AMD thread, so I digress.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I know, you just never get that 15 minutes back.

I envy your workflow if a clean install of Windows will do everything you need.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

JacksAngryBiome posted:

Me too. It is frustrating. I think I need to reinstall, but who has time for that anymore.

It especially sucks if you live in a high-speed internet hole and the best your ISP can muster is an 6mb line.

A reinstall then is like your entire afternoon waiting for poo poo to DL.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

HalloKitty posted:

I envy your workflow if a clean install of Windows will do everything you need.

It's more like an hour with apps here, thanks to ninite.com and having all the other setup files on another ssd. My install is super light.

Who's got time for that while posting on SA?
Nevermind I'll let myself out.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 31, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

XB1X is in 1070 range even. Hell Outlast2 is apparently native 4K and 60fps on the 1X - don't think a 1070 can do that, albeit that may be an outlier.
Hmmm, I find that a little hard to believe. We sure that it doesn't "cheat" by using checkerboard rendering or jokes like that?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I thought the majority of games running 4k on consoles were all running some kind of rendering trucks like checker board. To get the visual quality they do at 1080p in 4k, I doubt any consoles could do legitimate native 4k. The 1070 barely does 30 fps in Ghost Recon Wildlands and less then 30 in Deus Ex, surprisingly gets ~50 fps in BF1.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have everything configured to perfection. But I finally have to reinstall because my Windows is on a MBR disk and I guess it's time to move to GPT, separate recovery partion and all that. I guess there's no way to migrate old MBR windows installation to the new system?

E: apparently creators update has a new MBR2GPT tool to fix this issue. Wow. So I'll just clone my current disk to a new SSD, Upgrade to win10 and see how that works.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 31, 2017

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SlayVus posted:

I thought the majority of games running 4k on consoles were all running some kind of rendering trucks like checker board. To get the visual quality they do at 1080p in 4k, I doubt any consoles could do legitimate native 4k. The 1070 barely does 30 fps in Ghost Recon Wildlands and less then 30 in Deus Ex, surprisingly gets ~50 fps in BF1.

A lot of games also do a TON of dynamic resolution scaling at various parts of the render path. DOOM is a great example of this.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SlayVus posted:

AMD CPU thread might not be 100% the place to talk about this, but the XB1X is a ton more powerful than the PS4P and is somewhere between a 1060 and a 1070 in power. Also textures tend to be lower-res in consoles than the "ultra" texture options in PC, which would help framerates.

Consoles are still targeting 30fps in general, and tend to either do dynamic resolution scaling as mentioned, or accept some framerate drops from 30. Native 4K on the XB1X seems feasible with that expectation.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

SlayVus posted:

most games are going to be checkerboarded but depending on optimization you'll prob see quite a few 4k30 titles, especially in older games getting updates. might even see some fighting/racing games go 4k60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HveHnJ_CGuY

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

SlayVus posted:

Console games can be optimized a lot better than PC games since you're always gonna be running one set of hardware, it would probably be better to use a really well optimized game like DOOM as a point of comparison.

https://twitter.com/id_aa_carmack/status/436012673243693056?lang=en

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

Console games can be optimized a lot better than PC games since you're always gonna be running one set of hardware, it would probably be better to use a really well optimized game like DOOM as a point of comparison.
]

The "XB1X is like a PC with a 1070" comparison has to be including the console optimization in the comparison. Because an XB1X has 40 CUs @ 1.2GHz, where on the PC to match a 1070 Vega needs 56 CUs at 1.4GHz. (Depending on the game, ofc)

Theris fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 31, 2017

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

If you don't like wasting time setting up everything after a Windows install, make a disk image just after you set everything up and you can restore from that. Then you update Windows and just update things as you use them later - feels like a lot less of a slog than a fresh install IME

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Theris posted:

The "XB1X is like a PC with a 1070" comparison has to be including the console optimization in the comparison. Because an XB1X has 40 CUs @ 1.2GHz, where on the PC to match a 1070 Vega needs 56 CUs at 1.4GHz. (Depending on the game, ofc)

I thought that Vega was an old, lower performance per shader per clock design than the Polaris-based GPUs that were in the consoles? I know that in the real world, Vega is worse per clock than Fiji, which was worse for clock than Polaris.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Theris posted:

Yeah, thats pretty much the long and short of it. On hardware, the boneX has 40 GCN CUs @1.2, and thats dang good for a console. With some console "optimization" tom-fuckery, which is often less optimization and more just building the visuals out with some cut corners cause you know nobody is gonna be running this thing 12in from their face at 4k or 144hz, they can squeeze some extra juice out of the fruit.

Its the same story as always. Is the console 100% as good as a PC for gaming? No, of course not. But it can get 80% of the way there for 60% of the price. (Of course there are other trade-offs and variables and stuff, but im simplifying here!!!)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SlayVus posted:

I doubt any consoles could do legitimate native 4k.

Well you're wrong. It's as simple as that, especially now that the Xbox One X is out in a week. But even before that the PS4 Pro was doing quite well at native 4k/30 in many updated games.

The original stock PS4 and Xbox One of 2013 couldn't do it, sure, but that was 4 years ago.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm so hoping we can get 12+CUs for 45W+ Raven Ridge.

Did we ever confirm if the GPU on RR is connected to the CPU by Infinity Fabric? That might make the RAM clock lock make more sense to my lay senses.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

NewFatMike posted:

I'm so hoping we can get 12+CUs for 45W+ Raven Ridge.

Did we ever confirm if the GPU on RR is connected to the CPU by Infinity Fabric? That might make the RAM clock lock make more sense to my lay senses.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thank you!

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmmm, I find that a little hard to believe. We sure that it doesn't "cheat" by using checkerboard rendering or jokes like that?

It's what the devs themselves are saying, albeit reading the quote again it's possible 'support' native 4K will mean it won't run at 60fps in that mode, but that would be a first for any console version of this - PS4/Xbox One/Pro all run at 60fps. I don't think it's outside the bounds of reality given the heft of the OneX's GPU, but that is quite a leap over 1440p.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

fishmech posted:

Well you're wrong. It's as simple as that, especially now that the Xbox One X is out in a week. But even before that the PS4 Pro was doing quite well at native 4k/30 in many updated games.
And 4K/60fps in older ports and plenty of indie games.

Really people why not? A 1060 can do 4k/30fps in current titles with optimized console-style settings, and 4k 60fps in tons of older AAA games.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

AMD CPU thread might not be 100% the place to talk about this, but the XB1X is a ton more powerful than the PS4P and is somewhere between a 1060 and a 1070 in power. Also textures tend to be lower-res in consoles than the "ultra" texture options in PC, which would help framerates.
Textures have a very low impact on rendering cost if they can fit within memory, that's really the only hit they'll have on performance with modern GPU's if they overflow the on-board vid mem. The reason PS4/PS4 Pro versions of multiplatform titles sometimes have lower textures than the PC version is just due to the 5/5.5 GB available to games. The Xbox 1X gives 9GB available to game devs, so you'll see the highest level of textures the vast majority of the time - Tomb Raider on the 1X is the first console version with the PC's highest level of texture detail.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Twerk from Home posted:

I thought that Vega was an old, lower performance per shader per clock design than the Polaris-based GPUs that were in the consoles? I know that in the real world, Vega is worse per clock than Fiji, which was worse for clock than Polaris.

consoles are using pre-polaris gpu if I remember correctly.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

wargames posted:

consoles are using pre-polaris gpu if I remember correctly.

Original PS4/XB1 used some early version of GCN but PS4Pro/XB1X are both using customized versions of Polaris.

AFAIK the XB1Xes variant is fairly vanilla (other than having more CUs than any desktop Polaris card) but the Pro has 2xFP16 support grafted on, which desktop GCN didn't get until Vega.

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 31, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Speaking of gaming, the new Assassin's Creed game scaling well with cores is a good omen for Ryzen aging nicely as a gaming platform.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Clockspeed still obviously matters but those are impressive number nonetheless with the 1920X considering the latency penalties. IIRC, 7nm Zen2 is supposed to be 12C/24T since Rome is supposed to be 48C/96T, so will be interesting to see the 3800X vs the 1920X at similar clockspeeds.

Also means much better SKU variation for AMD, since it can't support imbalanced die configs that means Zen2 is 12, 10, 8 and 6 core SKUs while Raven+ picks up the slack at low end with 4 and 2 cores. TR4 gets 24, 20, 16 and 12 core SKUs.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Eaurgh at per core performance still. I suppose it's pretty drat good for the clocks though.

eames
May 9, 2009

Seeing the 1800X ahead of the 7700K in FPS and 99th percentile is a pleasant surprise.
I really hope AMD can squeeze out more ST performance with the next shrink/refresh.

Overclocked CFL vs overclocked Zen is roughly a 50% difference in singlethread performance and that more than makes up for missing cores in most applications, even with excellent scaling like that.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

eames posted:

Seeing the 1800X ahead of the 7700K in FPS and 99th percentile is a pleasant surprise.
I really hope AMD can squeeze out more ST performance with the next shrink/refresh.

Overclocked CFL vs overclocked Zen is roughly a 50% difference in singlethread performance and that more than makes up for missing cores in most applications, even with excellent scaling like that.

More like 30% though.

EDIT: Content
https://twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/925348852147908608

So doubled cores, quadrupled L3, doubled PCIE lanes for Zen2 is what they are predicting/leaking. CanardPC was responsible for some very accurate leaks about Ryzen early on the 5Ghz single core on air notwithstanding (apparently from a CPU-Z dump?). Would mean the base processor for the AM4 platform is a 16C/32T monster and everyone will feel weird about Threadripper until the 32C, 28C, 24C and 20C TRs get released.

Can Intel reasonably keep up with core counts at that point? The absorb all the burden on huge die designs, and since not everything shrinks the 56C or so response Intel on 10nm++ would be pricey for everyone involved.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 1, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
It's a ploy to get Intel to plow serious money into high-core-count chips while AMD takes its existing chips and improves IPC on them by 20%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

RE the AC:Origins benchmarks, the 4C/8T 7700K being 50% faster than the 4C/4C 7600K is pretty crazy.

It's too bad they don't have the 8600K on the list as a point of comparison against the 8700K.