Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/925026838199656451

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

who does this guy think he is trying to lie about his paid content being free

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

StrixNebulosa posted:

Bastard Bonds says hello. Go to its steam forums, see how Steam replaces the title with hearts due to censoring.

How is Bastard Bonds? I've been going back and forth on buying this all day. I know it's <$6, but I'm kind of in a 'I need to spend zero dollars on games' phase at the moment. But if it's really good, I'll just skip lunch tomorrow.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Battle Bastard Brother Bonds

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Captain Lavender posted:

How is Bastard Bonds? I've been going back and forth on buying this all day. I know it's <$6, but I'm kind of in a 'I need to spend zero dollars on games' phase at the moment. But if it's really good, I'll just skip lunch tomorrow.

I like it a lot. It's meant to be played at a very fast pace compared to other turn-based combat games, which I appreciate, and there's a ton of content. It won't be for everybody though. The game has a lengthy demo available on Steam. I'd recommend playing that a bit first to see how you feel about it, particularly if you're tight on cash.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I just played Darkwood for the first time and got through the first night. Very atmospheric and dripping with foreboding. The sounds leading up to nightfall and the music sting when dawn breaks gave me chills!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The sound of night ending is so good. And such a relief when you hear it starting to build after the rest of the night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usahNOfzQzc

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Captain Lavender posted:

well for one thing its very very very gay

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, the most recent one (Hidden Star in Four Seasons) will come out first and Antinomy of Common Flowers will follow next year. More will possibly follow.

https://twitter.com/tiroryu/status/924965177795031040
hhhhhhhhhhh
Sorry having trouble containing my happiness. This has been a long time coming. Can't wait for Touhou Mahvel on Steam!
...he won't region lock these to Japan will he?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So should I buy NITW while it's on sale but not play it until the content update goes through?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SirSamVimes posted:

So should I buy NITW while it's on sale but not play it until the content update goes through?

The game encourages you to play it twice to see both of the friendship paths so you could take that as an opportunity to do it once now, once later.

I personally have not replayed NITW since it's not really that type of game for me, but I might with the extra content.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I just want to tell loot-loving people a quick note about Assassin's Creed: Origins:

It does something that many recent games have been very disappointing in: :siren:The possibility of Legendary loot from random mooks.:siren:

That is all.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

HGH posted:

...he won't region lock these to Japan will he?
I doubt it. ZUN doesn't seem to have a problem with westerners playing his games, and Double Dealing Character has had a digital release on an English-language site in the past.

It'll almost certainly be untranslated, though.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me

Morter posted:

I just want to tell loot-loving people a quick note about Assassin's Creed: Origins:

It does something that many recent games have been very disappointing in: :siren:The possibility of Legendary loot from random mooks.:siren:

That is all.

I like this.

I like this alot.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Morter posted:

That is all.

I can only imagine it's because you're looting some replica legendary sword from whatever the Ptolemaic equivalent of a weeb would be.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

exquisite tea posted:

I can only imagine it's because you're looting some replica legendary sword from whatever the Ptolemaic equivalent of a weeb would be.

A Ptolemeeaboo

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Morter posted:

A Ptolemeeaboo

Sumeraboo? Spartaboo?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Weeadjet

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Turd Herder posted:

Graveyard Keeper should be out tomorrow, even though the dev hasn't updated the steam page. This looks like a great game. Hopefully it's not over hyped.

Well now discussion on their steam page says it will be for sale on their website today abut not on steam till next year. It's all hear say so I guess we'll see how this poo poo show plays out.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Turd Herder posted:

Well now discussion on their steam page says it will be for sale on their website today abut not on steam till next year. It's all hear say so I guess we'll see how this poo poo show plays out.

Maybe trying to avoid the Christmas rush of Steam sales?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

BexGu posted:

Maybe trying to avoid the Christmas rush of Steam sales?

The odd thing is the Devs havent updated their steam page. It's all hear say from a twitter account.

So your guess is as best as mine.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Here it is, the last game of Spooktober. Much like yesterday, a buddy on Steam gifted me this and it was... I mean... it's the thought that counts, I guess. The user ratings for this one are absolutely absurd for what it is, and I can only assume it's just fans being fans.

:ghost: SPOOKY G4MES: The Ghost Dimension :ghost:

1. Stories Untold
2. Rusty Lake Hotel
3. Rusty Lake: Roots
4. Left in the Dark: No One on Board
5. Daily Chthonicle: Editor's Edition
6. Eleusis
7. Dead Effect
8. Dead Effect 2
9. State of Decay
10. Dead End Road
11. Goetia
12. EMPORIUM
13. F.E.A.R.
14. F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
15. F.E.A.R. 3
16. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
17. Bloody Streets
18. Layers of Fear
19. Dark Fall 2: Lights Out
20. Painkiller: Black Edition
21. Doorways: The Underworld
22. Doorways: Holy Mountains of Flesh
23. Yomawari: Night Alone
24. IMSCARED
25. Detention
26. Coma: Mortuary
27. Disturbed
28. CAYNE
29. Blameless
30. Firewood

31. Slender: The Arrival

I’m not really a Slender guy, and no I’m not talking about my unfortunate dad bod. I enjoyed the great white hype when he was a creepy photoshop insert but lost interest in his multimedia exploits. And so it is with idle curiosity that I turn to his Arrival here, in the hopes that he makes a compelling and terrifying antagonist to escape from. It turns out he really doesn’t, though, and after a good hour or so in his domain I feel more like a forgetful secretary or a handyman than a horror protagonist. I’m going to explain this disappointment in detail but that’s going to take spoilers, so if you really want to experience the yawns yourself, stop reading here and get to it.

I usually open these things with a plot synopsis but Slender: The Arrival makes the unfortunate choice to provide absolutely NO narrative outside of its customary horror notes. I’ve found maybe half the ones laid in my path so far and have only gleaned enough of the story to know that I don’t care about it. There’s a guy and a lady and they found Slenderman and the guy ran off and the lady followed him and I’m following them, I think? Whatever the story is it’s a serious let-down in that nothing you do seems to affect it or even reveal much of it, leaving you to just escape certain death because you were stupid enough to wander into it in the first place.

The opening level has you wandering down a country road to a brand new house, seemingly the first of a new subdivision. The place has been tossed and someone scribbled spooky things on the walls, so after unlocking some doors you wander off into the woods. Along the way I found a burned-out house with a shy zombie inside, something unexpectedly benign and (as far as I know) entirely unrelated to the Slenderman. There’s literally nothing threatening in this first chapter and even for someone as jumpy as me, the dark woods and low soundtrack and poofing zombie failed to put me on edge. But maybe once I was in some actual danger it’ll get scary, I thought.

I thought wrong, because Slenderman is about as threatening as a coat rack and escaping him is more a clerical matter than a horror one. The second level sticks you in a pitch-black wilderness park with a flashlight and instructions to collect eight pages. Your start point, the landmarks, and the pages are randomly placed every time so exploring is both essential and infuriating because you can’t hardly see a godddamned thing and there’s no map. Every page you pick up makes the Slenderman come after you harder but he doesn’t move. The dude just teleports around and then stands there, and if you get too close or stare too long you go nuts.

Collecting pages and running from a scarecrow in a suit got so tedious I eventually gave up and embraced death with 6 of 8 pages collected. Apparently that was enough to get me a pass on Easy mode, which took me to a mine where I had to activate 6 generators before a zombie in a hoodie ate me. This one actually runs after you but you can lose it by waving your flashlight in its face. After that is a pastoral walk around a mountain with a teddy bear who flashes you back to the abduction of the dumbest kid on Earth, and then an old tube TV you can play through other flashbacks on via the magic of VHS.

Slender: The Arrival has a severe problem with building tension, in that it can’t be scary without being tedious. The only reason Slenderman is any threat at all is because you’re stuck running around the same places looking for things. It’s up to the story then to convince me he’s some kind of all-powerful existential threat but the story is obscured behind notes and is limited to the ravings of two people you never meet. And he’s only really present for the middle 20-30 minutes of the game, because before that it’s just dark and after that you’re playing through empty areas that really should have been cutscenes. Add to that the unexplained zombies who manage to be more of a threat than the tall skinny fellow and I have to wonder why anyone takes him seriously at all.

Even the art has trouble keeping up with the atmosphere, opening up right from the beginning with some glaringly misbalanced light levels and low-effort furniture. The mine doesn’t look like any sort of place actual humans would work, and the mountaintop has you following improbably steep paths around dirty, blurry lumps of rock. I’ll give the sound design credit for including some jarring tracks and effects, but that’s really the only kudos the game gets. For a monster so celebrated and storied, Slender: The Arrival fails to make Slenderman interesting, frightening, or much of a presence at all. If I wanted to wander around and be harassed by some dude, I’d much rather play Dear Esther.

I'll be back in a few hours with a proper wrap-up for the month. :ghost:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Anyone have any thoughts on Oxenfree?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Deakul posted:

I thought it was just okay. It's definitely the weakest of the "spooky supernatural happenings affect a group of teenagers in a rusted out town" genre that is Life is Strange, Night in the Woods, etc. which isn't to say it's bad, but I don't think it goes far enough with its premise. The game is talky, VERY talky and the vocal performances range from competent to "obviously reading from a script" and that hurt my overall enjoyment of the story. That being said it only takes 3-4 hours to complete and the music is very good, so there are worse things you could do with your time. I found it entertaining enough to complete, just not particularly memorable.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I feel obligated to mention that I thought the exact opposite about Oxenfree.

Okay, not the exact opposite. I also liked the music.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

exquisite tea posted:

I thought it was just okay. It's definitely the weakest of the "spooky supernatural happenings affect a group of teenagers in a rusted out town" genre that is Life is Strange, Night in the Woods, etc. which isn't to say it's bad, but I don't think it goes far enough with its premise. The game is talky, VERY talky and the vocal performances range from competent to "obviously reading from a script" and that hurt my overall enjoyment of the story. That being said it only takes 3-4 hours to complete and the music is very good, so there are worse things you could do with your time. I found it entertaining enough to complete, just not particularly memorable.

I'm gonna need more of these, I've become addicted to this genre ever since Stranger Things popped up and reignited my love for Spielbergian scifi/horror.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

exquisite tea posted:

It's also buggy. Ran into a game-killing bug an hour or so in where the game wouldn't let me leave a certain screen.

I also encountered a similar problem in the same developer's Mr. Robot game for iOS; Night School really needs to work on their QA.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Oxenfree has some really great writing, and the way the characters talk over and interrupt each other feels very natural. It did make me not want to walk forward during dialogue despite being allowed to in case what they were saying got cut off by an observation about something we walked past though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

il_cornuto posted:

Oxenfree has some really great writing, and the way the characters talk over and interrupt each other feels very natural. It did make me not want to walk forward during dialogue despite being allowed to in case what they were saying got cut off by an observation about something we walked past though.

The inconsistencies with the dialogue were my biggest gripe with the game, really. Sometimes it was obvious where Alex could interject and clip the last character's line, sometimes you'd have to wait until they finished speaking, and there was no clear indication when that would take place so it ended up achieving the opposite effect of seeming natural. It also annoyed me that you couldn't take more than a few steps on any screen, in the very nice-looking environments and cool atmospheric music, without Alex's dumbass pothead friend not being able to shut the gently caress up for two seconds. It honestly felt like the game's script could have been cut by 30% and it would have been a much stronger effort.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Deakul posted:

If you don't mind teenagers being quip masters (I don't) for the purposes of quick character/relationship building and establishing backgrounds then Oxenfree is a pretty good spooky-ish adventure game with some good character writing, decent art, and excellent sound design. The dialogue flows nicely. As mentioned you can cut people off mid-sentence if you want but I would also add that's a bit inconsistent. Sometimes the game gives you (a short amount of) time to confirm a response just after another character has finished talking but other times if you want to respond to literally have to interrupt another character before they finish. There is at least a kind of indication when this is going to happen but I would have much preferred it stuck with one method or the other for the whole game.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hey Too Shy, you should go back and do the little secret bit in Arrival, since it's at least interesting.
In the beginning of the game, grab the flashlight, turn the radio on, and then go out and interact with the missing poster twice.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Someone play the new Mutant Football League and tell me if it's going to ruin my childhood.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Deakul posted:

It's at least better than Life is Strange.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Humble Jumbo Bundle 10

$1
Grey Goo Definitive Edition
Epistory: Typing Chronicles
Oddworld New 'N' Tasty

BTA
Prototype 2
Kingdom: New Lands
How to Survive 2
"More in 7 days 1 hour"

$10
Wasteland 2 (+$10 also gives you the OST)
$2 Humble Wallet credit if you subscribe to Humble Monthly

The only thing here I've played is Prototype 2, which I enjoyed.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Prototype 2 feels very out of place, but this is your best chance at buying it at a good price. I had loads of fun with it, it streamlined a lot of the first one's gameplay.

Will most likely buy the $1 tier, been wanting to get Grey Goo and Oddworld for a while.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Epistory is pretty okay but I think most of that was the charm of its visuals more than anything else.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

A fairly decent bundle? Must have been put together before IGN bought them

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Samuringa posted:

Prototype 2 feels very out of place, but this is your best chance at buying it at a good price. I had loads of fun with it, it streamlined a lot of the first one's gameplay.

Yeah Activision keeps their old games at ridiculous prices so even during sales the price is too high. I've had Prototype 2 in my wishlist since July 11 2015 and every sale it is 75% off for $10 and every sale I never buy it because that is too much.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Sweet, been waiting for Oddworld and Epistory to show up in a cheap bundle.

Prototype 2 is a very odd inclusion, given its tepid reception and Activision's general reticence regarding discounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Here, have some games:

G*ey Goo: 0D95M-*I*MP-L2JRF

Oddworld: New and *asty: 0GJFF-5KYRK-37*4F

No idea if there are any good, I just want to learn to type and I'm a baby unable to use a serious, boring program. :shrug: