Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i just build a billion terraformers and then set them to auto terraform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Tiny Bug Child posted:

so i don't think anyone mentioned the fan patches yet. there's one called PRACX that has a ton of graphical fixes and tweaks, like you can make the window resizable, there's smoother zooming, new display modes on the map, etc. but you probably don't want to install PRACX alone because it's also integrated into another patch that fixes a bunch of bugs and prevents some crashes. also there's some minor conveniences like bases auto-building satellites if they don't have anything in the queue like they do for units

to install it, go here, get "Yitzi's Unofficial SMAX patch 3.5", unzip it into your smax directory, then get 3.5d and do the same thing. works with the version GoG sells on both windows and mac

there's another older patch by a guy called kyrub that was an attempt to improve the AI. it basically teaches it how to use crawlers and properly terraform. i wouldn't say it makes the AI "challenging" but it does make a noticeable difference, they'll build tree farms and plant forests, crawl mines, and even build boreholes. sadly it doesnt work with SMAX, only the original game

boy howdy my security settings won't even let these patches run terran/x.exe even after granting full permissions

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

boy howdy my security settings won't even let these patches run terran/x.exe even after granting full permissions

Welcome to the world of pre-workshop game modding

If there isn't a chance you're installing a back door for elite christian hackers, then the mods not worth installing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i don't think a sequel is possible really for all sorts fo reasons but i'd pay full price and probably never play a graphics/UI updated release with little else done to it

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

brian reynolds posts in lets play, someone asked him about a sequel and he said its basically impossible due to ip stuff

Brian Reynolds posted:

That is a complex bag of intellectual propertyness! It goes something like this... Alpha Centauri IP is owned by Electronic Arts, whereas Firaxis is now owned by @2K/Take Two which is a competitor of EA. But even if EA wanted to make an Alpha Centauri 2 then Firaxis would have some kind of first right of refusal kind of thing to get to actually make it. And meanwhile the game is semi-associated with me, and I'm with Big Huge Games which is currently owned by Nexon. So unwinding that whole Gordian knot or even part of it would take a lot of momentum & probably not-insignificant money. And so far those things haven't materialized. As the thing ages (18 years old?!?!) it does probably cost gradually less money to convince someone to sell their rights, but on the other hand the perceived value of securing those rights goes down.

I wonder if a straight sequel would even be the right game to make if all the IP were magically available? The Alpha Centauri world would make an *awesome* RPG-shooter :-)

Brian

p.s. I like the "small font for off topic" idea ;-)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

brian reynolds posts in lets play, someone asked him about a sequel and he said its basically impossible due to ip stuff

is that actually him?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Typo posted:

is that actually him?

yeah

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

wow

a flashback to the days when SA was relevant

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

how do you even do a sequel justice considering the insane level of detail that went into all the secret projects and stuff

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Jose posted:

how do you even do a sequel justice considering the insane level of detail that went into all the secret projects and stuff

kickstarter

pillars of eternity turned out well

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

that was poo poo. i mean coming up with all the new things so that it doesn't just come off as a rehash of ideas because there is an insane amount of it in AC

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Jose posted:

that was poo poo. i mean coming up with all the new things so that it doesn't just come off as a rehash of ideas because there is an insane amount of it in AC
yeah so you basically want to pay writers instead of people who make pretty graphics: totally do-able with kickstarter

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Typo posted:

yeah so you basically want to pay writers instead of people who make pretty graphics: totally do-able with kickstarter
every single kickstarted RPG has been cargo cult chris avellone (including by chris avellone) and is unbearable lol

A new game with good writing would be good but I don't think kickstarter is the right place for it, since it literally trades in nostalgia

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

jBrereton posted:

every single kickstarted RPG has been cargo cult chris avellone (including by chris avellone) and is unbearable lol

A new game with good writing would be good but I don't think kickstarter is the right place for it, since it literally trades in nostalgia

wait did no one else like pillars of eternity

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

combat was miserable in it and the story didn't exactly keep me interested

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

then you obviously haven't really granted "full permissions" huh? what kind of cucked-rear end setup do you even have where your computer is telling you what you can and can't run instead of the other way around

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

that's kind of sad but otoh any SMAC sequel would probably be doomed to mediocrity at best. look at beyond earth and how design-by-committee bland and awful it was

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Tiny Bug Child posted:

then you obviously haven't really granted "full permissions" huh? what kind of cucked-rear end setup do you even have where your computer is telling you what you can and can't run instead of the other way around

nah the permissions are there for everything it's throwing out some error code that appears to be associated with permissions (0xc0000022) idk

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Typo posted:

There are many people who like Pillars of Eternity, that one with the norsemen and a snake, Divinity and so on but I'm not among em. I even didn't buy Tyranny + Torment because it looked like more of the same.

Kickstarted SMAC is pretty much Pandora: First Contact, which was really not a good game (it's Okay but when you're trying to live up to something Great that isn't enough)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

divinity 2 is real good imo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

look up how to turn on Direct Play in Windows 10. that fixed it for me.

as for the patch, in the popup window click on the more info link, and it will give you the option to run the patch exe anyway.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 19:55 on Oct 31, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

divinity 2 is real good imo
If I got bored of divinity OS' status/element swapping fights before the end of act 1, got to act 2 and it was more of the same so I quit, is DOS 2 much different?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

in my opinion, jinping needs to read settlers

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

jBrereton posted:

If I got bored of divinity OS' status/element swapping fights before the end of act 1, got to act 2 and it was more of the same so I quit, is DOS 2 much different?

it has an armour system where enemies have either physical or magical armour. they're immune to all status effects until the armour of the corresponding type is damaged enough to no longer be there. I've been running a 2h melee, 1h 1shield melee, dw rogue and a ranger and i'm doing really well. partly because physical gets the objectively best CC in the game but enemies usually have more physical armour. I'm playing the main elf starting character and decided to level summoning because its a good thing to level and by using the elf starting skill i can make my summon only do physical damage and it now easily does most damage. try and make sure you're all either physical or magical damage basically.

you can respec for free without losing all the stuff you learned like the first game too

its probably worth installing a mod that makes item scaling not so insane because its alright in act 1 and most of 2 but becomes genuinely ridiculous after that. If you decide to only use 2 people and go lone wolf it breaks the game fairly heavily but you miss out on a lot of story stuff. I burned out of the first game after act 2 but this i'm nearly finsihed and its a lot of fun

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

it has an armour system where enemies have either physical or magical armour. they're immune to all status effects until the armour of the corresponding type is damaged enough to no longer be there. I've been running a 2h melee, 1h 1shield melee, dw rogue and a ranger and i'm doing really well. partly because physical gets the objectively best CC in the game but enemies usually have more physical armour. I'm playing the main elf starting character and decided to level summoning because its a good thing to level and by using the elf starting skill i can make my summon only do physical damage and it now easily does most damage. try and make sure you're all either physical or magical damage basically.

you can respec for free without losing all the stuff you learned like the first game too

its probably worth installing a mod that makes item scaling not so insane because its alright in act 1 and most of 2 but becomes genuinely ridiculous after that. If you decide to only use 2 people and go lone wolf it breaks the game fairly heavily but you miss out on a lot of story stuff. I burned out of the first game after act 2 but this i'm nearly finsihed and its a lot of fun
Cool. Will get at christmas sale.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

that was a lot of words to say i think its extremely good

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
as a guy who posts like that constantly, It's Okay.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Typo posted:

I liked it and i could never play the old Baldurs Gate games due to them aging poorly so I definitely have no nostalgia for them

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Torment is worth it for the art direction alone imo, although the writing is also top notch and there's usually multiple ways to resolve a problem without going into combat as well. The combat is ok.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the torment writing didn't blow me away and the combat is dire and try as i might i couldn't avoid it

but wasteland 2 was utter garbage that i'm still annoyed that it takes so long to get going a refund was impossible

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Wasteland 2 was in a shameful state on release, and I'm sure it's been fixed for a long time but I can't be bothered to go back again, knowing how lame the story is. It was easy to tell which areas they worked the most on like the bio research facility, which was fully fleshed out over months of testing and revision, compared to most of the rest of the game which was extremely straightforward.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

combat what non-stop and was insanely boring

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

skimmed thru this rpg talk but i just say this - everybody play everything by spider software. geneforge, nethergate, avernum remake, avadon. all good tactical turn-based, awesome plot huge world, thanks for reading

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Torment is worth it for the art direction alone imo, although the writing is also top notch and there's usually multiple ways to resolve a problem without going into combat as well. The combat is ok.

It's literally 90% the interface that keeps me from playing those games.

It's a shame cause in theory they're right down my alley, but a lot of old game sare just unfucking playable to someone spoiled on modern interfaces.

I can only play Morrowind with dozens of mods installed, for example

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dreddout posted:

It's literally 90% the interface that keeps me from playing those games.

It's a shame cause in theory they're right down my alley, but a lot of old game sare just unfucking playable to someone spoiled on modern interfaces.

I can only play Morrowind with dozens of mods installed, for example

It's weird that you're complaining about interfaces, when Morrowind had one of the best interfaces for a PC RPG ever made. I mean, MCP and the Overhaul Project is essential now, if only to get the draw distance to something respectable - but the actual in-game interface is solid for mouse + keyboard. You could drag all of the windows to any size you wanted, put them where you wanted, and even lock them so they stayed visible in real-time. I guess the real problem is that there's no item sorting for your inventory, and there's a ton of items to pick up.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

they may mean the journal which does not give you waypoints

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
you could decorate everything with piles of gold in morrowind it was real good

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Hlaalo manor in balmora, has plenty of tables and shelves for storing your garbage :hai:

and the owner is conveniently dead

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Calibanibal posted:

they may mean the journal which does not give you waypoints

Typical men, not wanting to follow directions.

Calibanibal posted:

Hlaalo manor in balmora, has plenty of tables and shelves for storing your garbage :hai:

and the owner is conveniently dead

There's a guy who lives next to Caius Cosades's house you can kill as part of a quest, and I just litter the floor with high value crap.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's weird that you're complaining about interfaces, when Morrowind had one of the best interfaces for a PC RPG ever made. I mean, MCP and the Overhaul Project is essential now, if only to get the draw distance to something respectable - but the actual in-game interface is solid for mouse + keyboard. You could drag all of the windows to any size you wanted, put them where you wanted, and even lock them so they stayed visible in real-time. I guess the real problem is that there's no item sorting for your inventory, and there's a ton of items to pick up.

I'm sure it was great for the time but the whole systems a mess in tyool 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Calibanibal posted:

skimmed thru this rpg talk but i just say this - everybody play everything by spider software. geneforge, nethergate, avernum remake, avadon. all good tactical turn-based, awesome plot huge world, thanks for reading

how can one dude make so many amazing titles?

i highly recommend age of decadence