Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Athas posted:

Okay, I'm sorry if I violated some kind of ideological purity of window management. I just know it was faster and easier to move focus between windows in xmonad than it is in GNOME, in particular when I have large numbers of windows and multiple monitors.

Yeah I use xmonad at work and this is its main strength imo. Especially compared to gnome 2, the other "sane" option in centos 6, which doesn't even let you snap windows to fill half the screen and treats both monitors as a single virtual desktop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

tiling may be my favorite greybeard poo poo. its a concession that a GUI is superior to a command line, while retaining command line usability and efficiency problems.

:allears:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Athas posted:

Okay, I'm sorry if I violated some kind of ideological purity of window management.
Sorry doesn't cut it. Get in the jail.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

whats wrong with tiling? are you supposed to have every window maximized

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

each one a different size all overlapping so you can't actually see more than one at a time.

bonus points if you use transparency so you can't actually see anything

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i have chrome taking up like 2/3rds of my screen because reading a paragraph of text on a single line is painful

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

Shaggar posted:

tiling may be my favorite greybeard poo poo. its a concession that a GUI is superior to a command line, while retaining command line usability and efficiency problems.

there are those lunatic “purists” peddling doing EVERYTHING by cli and I think they’re broken people

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I like the ones who install a gui, but refuse to plug in a mouse because they are "more efficient just using keyboard shortcuts"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

da beeper king BABY posted:

Yeah I use xmonad at work and this is its main strength imo. Especially compared to gnome 2, the other "sane" option in centos 6, which doesn't even let you snap windows to fill half the screen and treats both monitors as a single virtual desktop

all monitors on a system are supposed to be treated as a single desktop

if you can’t just drag or resize a window to straddle multiple displays your window system and/or window manager are broken

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

RFC2324 posted:

I like the ones who install a gui, but refuse to plug in a mouse because they are "more efficient just using keyboard shortcuts"

One time doing a go live for epic I watched a um manager enter a referral about 10x faster than I'd ever managed using only the keyboard and it blew my mind. If the work flow is designed with it in mind a key board can definitely be more efficient, but programming ain't one of those work flows.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

eschaton posted:

all monitors on a system are supposed to be treated as a single desktop

if you can’t just drag or resize a window to straddle multiple displays your window system and/or window manager are broken

that would be macos

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

cis autodrag posted:

One time doing a go live for epic I watched a um manager enter a referral about 10x faster than I'd ever managed using only the keyboard and it blew my mind. If the work flow is designed with it in mind a key board can definitely be more efficient, but programming ain't one of those work flows.

I've known sysadmins who were insanely fast, and I usually arrange my workflow around touching the mouse as little as possible. there are just certain things that it will ALWAYS be faster to use the mouse for, unless you literally design your entire UI around not needing one(and then you spend so much time doing that you probably are overall at a time loss vs just working with what is there)

I've also noticed that in the normal run of things those guys lose alot of time tabbing around, missing the option they were trying to hit, and having to tab all the way back around because they don't know about ctrl-tab

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
just fuckin lol if you can't type 110 wpm or more with perfect accuracy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
having bad opinions about configuration management is ok, as long as you can defend them even halfway cogently. your reason for a given technology choice can be bad, but you need to have a reason!

shell scripts, on the other hand. phew boy. anyone who wants to defend shell scripting to me in a phone screen is a hard pass. gently caress you. life is too short.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

RFC2324 posted:

i have a hard time using a mouse for physical reasons

offering a cli and making keyboard shortcuts available is a matter of accessibility. it is hard to predict what users will need

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

offering a cli and making keyboard shortcuts available is a matter of accessibility. it is hard to predict what users will need

Shove it up your rear end then control it via kegels?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

work flow is designed with it in mind a key board can definitely be more efficient, but programming ain't one of those work flows.
And so it begins.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

its me, I'm the

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

John Big Booty posted:

And so it begins.

looks like a good time

sign me up at the corporate rate

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

looks like a good time

sign me up at the corporate rate
Sales will be in touch.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

John Big Booty posted:

And so it begins.

one of those emacs should be vile

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

John Big Booty posted:

And so it begins.

the true meaning of emacs pinky

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

which is a different use case than thinking it's more efficient

i try to avoid mouse use but know some things will always be more efficient with a mouse

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
today in shell scripting adventures: as i've mentioned in anotehr thread, my company recently had a mass layoff, so there are about 20 Linux servers abandoned by the people who used to manage them. It's now my job to do what those people used to do, and for that I need to know my way around the servers.

I whipped up a couple scripts, for both Red Hat and Debian, to scan the entire file system except /proc /mnt and /dev, and list every file that isn't associated, in various ways, with an installed package. Didn't have to install any runtime across all the servers, or track down any libraries for whatever language, or set up a build. Just run "sudo find / [filters]" and pipe that through an additional filtering loop for the tests that "find" either can't run or i'd prefer not to run under sudo. About 50-60 lines for each script (I also had to list the installed packages). I end up with files that I can condense down to one-page reports by hand.

i can imagine it might be useful to ask certain job candidates how they'd handle the situation.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Gazpacho posted:

today in shell scripting adventures: as i've mentioned in anotehr thread, my company recently had a mass layoff, so there are about 20 Linux servers abandoned by the people who used to manage them. It's now my job to do what those people used to do, and for that I need to know my way around the servers.

I whipped up a couple scripts, for both Red Hat and Debian, to scan the entire file system except /proc /mnt and /dev, and list every file that isn't associated, in various ways, with an installed package. Didn't have to install any runtime across all the servers, or track down any libraries for whatever language, or set up a build. Just run "sudo find / [filters]" and pipe that through an additional filtering loop for the tests that "find" either can't run or i'd prefer not to run under sudo. About 50-60 lines for each script (I also had to list the installed packages). I end up with files that I can condense down to one-page reports by hand.

i can imagine it might be useful to ask certain job candidates how they'd handle the situation.

docker, lol?

serious answer: kubernetes because why the gently caress are you doing this.

also chef and puppet are shitheaps, ansible is better bash and kubernetes is the ~future~.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Punkbob posted:

docker, lol?

serious answer: kubernetes because why the gently caress are you doing this.
Ah, the ol' "pretend the whole world has been fixed in advance" solution, you'll go far w that one

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Gazpacho posted:

Ah, the ol' "pretend the whole world has been fixed in advance" solution, you'll go far w that one

I’d seriously look at gke if I was given 20 random shits to janitor all of a sudden. I don’t know what the hell your setup looks like but 20 boxes full of poo poo sounds like hell. and something like that is a week of work that gives me a massive increase in observability as well as getting me away from baby sitting black boxes of doom.

I mean the other option is to just pretend they don’t exist.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Gazpacho posted:

if they answer "with an actual scripting language" do they get the job?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
also if they are centos or redhat based servers delete them now, as nothing on them could ever be worth anything.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 1, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

you know, i pretty much read yospos for the awful opinions espoused by utter assholes but this page has been real special

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

carry on then posted:

you know, i pretty much read yospos for the awful opinions espoused by utter assholes but this page has been real special

tips fedoras, the only semi-usable OS by redhat.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Condiv posted:

if they answer "with an actual scripting language" do they get the job?
Not without further detail on why it will solve the problem at hand, I would hope

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"diurr i'd use docker." The immediate task isn't to organize what you have it's to discover what you have. Like if you work in logistics and you have to take possession of a mystery warehouse, any one who brainstorms how they're going to redo the floor plan before counting the drat inventory is an idiot.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think my problem with programming exclusively with a keyboard is more that it takes way more practice than i'd be willing to commit to, especially for probably only one language, and not that it's some literally unsolvable problem. like i'm halfway there with emacs and that's basically a shoestring and chewing gum contraption, you can watch the intellij videos and those people can fly around

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Punkbob posted:

also if they are centos or redhat based servers delete them now, as nothing on them could ever be worth anything.

:chloe:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Good containment thread

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

i mean, when it comes to outright janitoring the environment sure a bit of shellscript is a quick way to do it, but even this example gets very disturbing the moment it creeps into the process and system. i.e. it gets thrown in a cron job and the overall workings start depending on it doing the right things

in that situation we quickly get to questions like how errors are actually handled and reported (hugely fiddly in shellscripts), if someone creates a file with newlines in it (which if you use the pipe approach rather than -exec will make it appear to be two files, since as usual shell scripts have no conception of out-of-band data so these edge case are numerous), how does it fare if the filesystem changes under it as it is running (find after all is not super-clever about it, so what happens if files get doubly reported or fail to get reported at all)

all small things, but the bigger looming issue is that shellscripts do not have the tools to deal well with them, and once entrenched you will have people going in and hacking something new up. at that point the issues get more complex and nefarious. e.g. someone attempts to separate the file names on the pipe with a NUL (since that is actually not permitted in file names), but in the process that entails actually operating on a string you do not control, and it is very easy to accidentally evaluate a backtick in a filename and have a full-blown security issue (if everyone is a shellscripting expert that may not happen, but that is a dangerous assumption)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Shaggar posted:

as a linux dude, agreeing with shaggar feels wrong and dirty, but this is spot on

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I like it when can I hold the Windows key and use the arrow keys to position my windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Tankakern posted:

as a linux dude, agreeing with shaggar feels wrong and dirty, but this is spot on
If that feeling ever goes away, then seek immediate medical attention.

And, yeah, they often are but gently caress do I hate coding them.