Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Waffleman_ posted:

I appreciate that some of the screens in NDC have the classic Donkey Kong art including weird pizza box-rear end Jumpman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

g0lbez posted:

I need a post game moon hint as well

What's with all the "Sphynx in [location]" moons? They all appear over the binoculars according to Toad's hints but I tried looking for him through the binoculars with no luck. I believe I've done all the quizzes but I could be wrong

Your first idea was right. You have to find him flying around in the air by zooming in with the binoculars.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

andipossess posted:

Your first idea was right. You have to find him flying around in the air by zooming in with the binoculars.
Thanks for this. I would have endlessly jumped from kingdom to kingdom trying to find one and hoping that by finding it it would move to another one (in the same vein as the tourist and cabbie). Now I can cross a couple 100% kingdoms off my list.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I need to stress that collectables that are off camera will not be collected even if you're standing where they are. I know where that 1 wooded kingdom purple coin is because it suffers from that. There's a line of them that you have to crouch under a girder to get to and the last one is squeezed against a wall. If the camera pans you can stand where the coin is and not collect it even though you should of. It's very silly.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Just have power moons in Dark and Darker Side left. I also gotta grind up coins to get the rest of the outfits.

Getting all of the purple coins took a long rear end time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Taking Notes makes me so amazingly loving mad, especially when I have to follow a very narrow path of notes. Mario has a habit of completely veering off in a different direction if I so much as slightly move the thumbstick. :negative:

These Master Cups are bullshit, too.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

andipossess posted:

Thanks! Although I'm shocked I haven't seen the giant fucker yet considering I've scoured most kingdoms pretty well by this point

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Taking Notes makes me so amazingly loving mad, especially when I have to follow a very narrow path of notes. Mario has a habit of completely veering off in a different direction if I so much as slightly move the thumbstick. :negative:

i really had to restrain myself from screaming cuss words during the jaxi stunt driver moon

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

alf_pogs posted:

i really had to restrain myself from screaming cuss words during the jaxi stunt driver moon

That jaxi poo poo and the awful bullet bill room that's impossible to get through because of the camera (seriously was that playtested) were the only two moments I actively hated this game

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

g0lbez posted:

the awful bullet bill room that's impossible to get through because of the camera (seriously was that playtested) were the only two moments I actively hated this game
Assuming this is talking about the bullet bill maze,

1. You can just skip that room by walking on the walls

2. I did that poo poo first try anyway with no trouble so clearly someone playtested it

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I really wish the boss fights would save checkpoints between phases, the squid is beginning to annoy me with its penchant for staying still when I need it to move, but then moving when I need it to stay still.

e: seriously, is there no way to lock the camera to a behind-you mode?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 1, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

god bless you captain toad

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

I really wish the boss fights would save checkpoints between phases, the squid is beginning to annoy me with its penchant for staying still when I need it to move, but then moving when I need it to stay still.

e: seriously, is there no way to lock the camera to a behind-you mode?

I had a lot of trouble with him when I first fought him but found him super easy when I fought him again later on. You don't necessarily need to get on top of him. You can get close, flip around and shoot him as you fly away from him. You also don't ever need to ground pound him which I kept doing as well.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Kaewan posted:

I had a lot of trouble with him when I first fought him but found him super easy when I fought him again later on. You don't necessarily need to get on top of him. You can get close, flip around and shoot him as you fly away from him. You also don't ever need to ground pound him which I kept doing as well.

Oh jesus christ, the barely-together guide I was reading advocating ground-pounding, which was double annoying because I'm only about 50% on "which button is the one that resets the camera and which one is the one that does Other Things" at any opportunity.

Of course, I find this out after I wind up beating it.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 1, 2017

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I beat this and I loved it and I have no urge to 100% and it kind of feels liberating.

For the same reason I didn't hunt seeds in Zelda, I think there are too many moons to make it worthwhile. I rather have had a hard mode where you have to collect 2x or 3x the moons to unlock the next area instead instead there's no goal for me.

One of my top 5 games for the year.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

There's so many Moons in the game that I feel like I can keep coming back to it every couple months, or years, and still find new things and be surprised.

It's really great that way.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tbh I think the game recognizes that with significant unlocks capping before 100% and letting you inflate your count. I don't think the comparison is quite 1:1, but there's intentional room to see even all the postgame levels while letting you miss or pass over some moons.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

alf_pogs posted:

I straight up abandoned that one and will never go back. gently caress you sand rat.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

g0lbez posted:

Thanks! Although I'm shocked I haven't seen the giant fucker yet considering I've scoured most kingdoms pretty well by this point

Yeah, it's kinda hard because (slightly more specific tip) he's actually flying around in the distance so he's kinda small, and he flies around everywhere so you kinda have to just spot him.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

dream DLC time: big new haunted mansion kingdom, with unlockable luig. then special luigi-centric challenges show up in the existing kingdoms

grounded DLC time: i will literally throw money at whatever you put out for this wonderful game

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ghostinmyshell posted:

I beat this and I loved it and I have no urge to 100% and it kind of feels liberating.

For the same reason I didn't hunt seeds in Zelda, I think there are too many moons to make it worthwhile. I rather have had a hard mode where you have to collect 2x or 3x the moons to unlock the next area instead instead there's no goal for me.

One of my top 5 games for the year.
There's not even that many and they're nowhere near as tedious as korok seeds. You baby.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

alf_pogs posted:

grounded DLC time: i will literally throw money at whatever you put out for this wonderful game

:yeah:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Getting to Edge of the Galaxy was spectacular: post-ending spoilers

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can someone tell me where the Sand Kingdom art for Koopa Trace Walking is? It seems obvious, poiting to the bushes near the koopa, but I've tried groundpounding everywhere around it and not found it.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Can someone tell me where the Sand Kingdom art for Koopa Trace Walking is? It seems obvious, poiting to the bushes near the koopa, but I've tried groundpounding everywhere around it and not found it.

It's not near him at all. Follow the compass in the hint and look for the two bushes.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh my the snow kingdom I am ded :3:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

McDragon posted:

Oh my the snow kingdom I am ded :3:

Sounds like you should have bundled up.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
What's the best way to travel long distances with the squid dudes? I keep running out of water so I suspect it's not constantly using the "go forward" button but it's also not spamming taps.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Snow Kingdom, on first visit I was like "drat this place is miserable and uninviting, not what I was hoping for at all, oh well" then I went down the hole and :aaa: :3: :aaaaa: :3: :aaa:

Now it's up there with Freezeezy Peak for me in terms of winter video game levels.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

So when exactly do the NPCs from each of the worlds show up in different places? I've seen a bunch of videos of various NPCs like the New Donk City folk and the Skeletons from the Sand Kingdom hanging out in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Zuzie posted:

So when exactly do the NPCs from each of the worlds show up in different places? I've seen a bunch of videos of various NPCs like the New Donk City folk and the Skeletons from the Sand Kingdom hanging out in the Mushroom Kingdom.

When you beat the main game

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What's the best way to travel long distances with the squid dudes? I keep running out of water so I suspect it's not constantly using the "go forward" button but it's also not spamming taps.

If you stay at water level I don’t think they ever run out of water. Spam away

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bob A Feet posted:

If you stay at water level I don’t think they ever run out of water. Spam away
I meant for like, the down-a-pipe challenge bits where half the game is not running out of water :shobon:

Also there's a torch on top of the "chefs only" building in Luncheon. How do I get a Podoboo there? I tried jumping down from the summit and successfully landed in the little pool of lava behind the building but I can't get it up it from there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I meant for like, the down-a-pipe challenge bits where half the game is not running out of water :shobon:

Also there's a torch on top of the "chefs only" building in Luncheon. How do I get a Podoboo there? I tried jumping down from the summit and successfully landed in the little pool of lava behind the building but I can't get it up it from there.

You can't get a lava bubble there. Think of another way to light the fire.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Internet Kraken posted:

You can't get a lava bubble there. Think of another way to light the fire.

I totally forgot those dudes were in this level! The little puddle in the back gave me tunnel vision. Thanks.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You don't use any water if you're on the ground.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
by the way why am I not seeing more people talking about the fact that Nintendo styled an entire world on Slurms MacKenzie

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pollyanna posted:

Wooded Kingdom along the wall overlooking the Deep Woods, right? Rolling is the easier way to do it, because then you just have to tilt left and right gently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I'm missing one moon in the deep woods. I assume it has something to do with the coins in the river but I can't figure it out.

• Locked thread