Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moz
Jul 20, 2001
My reality check bounced.

kaujot posted:

I feel ill reading that.

sad times...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

i knew a guy who threw away all his cases and keeps his dvds and blurays in a cd binder

I do this because I move a lot and don't have the space for a bookcase dedicated solely to movies. I keep all the booklets in a box, though.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I mean, I probably SHOULD do that, just due to space constraints...but I just love the way a full bookshelf looks.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

kaujot posted:

I mean, I probably SHOULD do that, just due to space constraints...but I just love the way a full bookshelf looks.

Fill it with books?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

TrixRabbi posted:

Fill it with books?

It's not a Kindle™.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

TrixRabbi posted:

Fill it with books?

What are books?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

kaujot posted:

What are books?

Check your copy of Picnic at Hanging Rock, Short Cuts or Vampyr.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

The only book I own is "Mr Arkadin", just as Criterion would want.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Rebecca was the first film from the sale that I put on and it was the closest I've ever come to stopping a Criterion halfway out of sheer boredom; thankfully the second half more or less completely saved it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Rebecca is at least a pretty film, but yeah, it kind of drags in the middle. Don't let it put you off seeing Notorious, which is the best of the Selznick-Hitchcock collaborations (partly because Selznick was too busy working on Duel in the Sun). I think Spellbound is kind of silly, but it has its fans and it's a large inspiration for High Anxiety.

Got my flash sale order today. Barry Lyndon honestly looks like it's in 3-D. I thought the original Blu looked great, but it's a huge difference here. Those using small monitors might not see as much difference, but it's clear from the opening titles. I never noticed they had a rough edge before rather than smooth text.

Also, Vampyr is a big surprise. It looks like an actual film print being projected now. The DVD was one of their best encoded, but it's easy to see why they didn't need to re-scan anything. AVC is just so much better than MPEG2 in handling heavier film grain and damage without it turning to mush.

Watched the first scene of Repo Man and it looks like I'm going to love this movie. Also, my copy has a corner smashed in from shipping, but I think it actually works out. Might throw around the box a bit more.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Nate RFB posted:

Rebecca was the first film from the sale that I put on and it was the closest I've ever come to stopping a Criterion halfway out of sheer boredom; thankfully the second half more or less completely saved it.

yeah criterion has a bunch of movies that can be a struggle to get through

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Spellbound is dope because it's just Hitchcock making fun of psychoanalysis for like an hour and a half.

Rebecca is good but I kind of think Foreign Correspondent was Hitch's better film that year. As good as Rebecca is, there's no shot in there as memorable to me as, say, the windmill spinning the wrong way.

zandert33 posted:

The only book I own is "Mr Arkadin", just as Criterion would want.
Same.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 23, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The books are nice, but I love it when Criterion does the monographs with 80-120 pages.

Breathless has the complete treatment by Truffaut, Eraserhead and A Hard Day's Night have lengthy director interviews, Blow-Up has the original short story, etc.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Wasn't going to buy any, instead I ended up with:

Fire Walk With Me
The Lure
Vampyr
Multiple Maniacs
Straw Dogs
Blood Simple
Diabolique

So this order never got processed and I missed out on the sale :(

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

So this order never got processed and I missed out on the sale :(

Aw lovely. At least the B&N sale starts next week.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Every time I see the name Diabolique in this thread I think "whoa has criterion done a release of Danger Diabolik?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTcGTEK0Q2g

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Every time I see the name Diabolique in this thread I think "whoa has criterion done a release of Danger Diabolik?"

*quickly cancels order*

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Shout got the rights to release the MST3K episode, so they probably have the rights

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just started Fire Walk With Me. I've only seen it once, so I might be misremembering. Is the lip sync supposed to be slightly off?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just started Fire Walk With Me. I've only seen it once, so I might be misremembering. Is the lip sync supposed to be slightly off?

No?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Detective No. 27 posted:

IIRC, that was a problem on the original Bluray also, so I guess it's the exact same transfer.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hippie George Lucas?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hippie George Lucas?

Guillermo Del Toro went to Burning Man?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

EDIT: Dead Man?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm guessing it's because the rights reverted to Jim Jarmusch like his earlier films, but it would be neat if it was from Miramax.

Then again, I bet the Miramax library is going to be really cheap soon...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for the Criterion of Godzilla vs Biollante

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hippie George Lucas?

That's a pretty uncanny Lucas, so maybe THX1138?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Could be American Graffiti.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
That was a Fifties thing. More American Graffiti was about the Vietnam years but I'd be surprised if they were going after that

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That's a pretty uncanny Lucas, so maybe THX1138?

I dunno, I definitely see GDT

Only registered members can see post attachments!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

That might actually just be Jerry Garcia

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

I Before E posted:

That might actually just be Jerry Garcia

What I was thinking.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Yeah, it might be Long Strange Trip, the Grateful Dead doc from this year.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Barnes and Noble sale has begun. I've reserved a copy of Blood Simple. I'm looking for maybe one more noir or neo-noir to add. Here are the ones I currently own:

Braned To Kill
Tokyo Story
The Third Man
Ace In The Hole
The Spy Who Came In From The Cold
The Night of the Hunter
Kiss Me Deadly
The Killing
Anatomy of a Murder (Not really a noir, but close enough)
Odd Man Out
Only Angels Have Wings (is this noir? I haven't watched it yet.)
They Live By Night

And I'll be picking up Le Samorai when it comes out.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
My noir recommendation is M.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

God damnit, I haven't even made it through the movies I bought during the last B&N sale, let alone the ones I got during the recent website flash sale. :negative:

I recently joined that B&N Rewards thing so I have coupons and an additional discount, which will make those Criterion blus even more enticing.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

ketchup vs catsup posted:

This doesn’t count?
https://youtube.com/watch?v=uvRBUw_Ls2o

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cloks posted:

My noir recommendation is M.

This movie is extremely my jam. I saw it earlier this year, so I might if I don't see anything I haven't seen before.

Xenomrph posted:

God damnit, I haven't even made it through the movies I bought during the last B&N sale, let alone the ones I got during the recent website flash sale. :negative:

I recently joined that B&N Rewards thing so I have coupons and an additional discount, which will make those Criterion blus even more enticing.

The rewards card works, but I don't think the coupons work on Criterion anymore. They have a specific clause against them in the fine print. It sucks.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Have you seen The Lady Vanishes? Good combination of humor and intrigue and I think it rewards multiple viewings. The director is a bit of an unknown but he made a psuedo-remake of Diabolique called "Psycho".

Real talk though, I just watched Diabolique and man did Hitchcock ever use that as a reference for Psycho. I thought that he was the one who originated the closed theater after the movie starts policy but nope, Clozout. I wonder exactly how much of the similarities come from using the same authors to inspire the script and how much was lifted from Diabolique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Barnes and Noble sale has begun. I've reserved a copy of Blood Simple. I'm looking for maybe one more noir or neo-noir to add. Here are the ones I currently own:

Asphalt Jungle my boy