Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Terrible Opinions posted:

Nasuverse Gilgamesh has next to nothing to do with mythological Gilgamesh, unless you're assuming he's only from the "I'm the world's most prolific rapist" stage of mythological Gilggy's character arc.

This is, in fact, the case.

Servants when summoned can be called as embodying specific parts of their history/legend. The Archer class Servant summoned by Rin's dad embodies Gilgamesh at the height of his arrogance and jackassery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

This is, in fact, the case.

Servants when summoned can be called as embodying specific parts of their history/legend. The Archer class Servant summoned by Rin's dad embodies Gilgamesh at the height of his arrogance and jackassery.

I thought it was more that Gil is affected by the era he's summoned into. So he's nicer in CCC because he likes Moon Cell.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You know it'd probably be easier to know that if they didn't include explicit references to Enkidu whose existence should indicate you're in the part of his life that produces a chiller Gilgamesh.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Silver2195 posted:

I thought it was more that Gil is affected by the era he's summoned into. So he's nicer in CCC because he likes Moon Cell.

Bit of column A bit of column B.

You know it'd probably be easier to know that if they didn't include explicit references to Enkidu whose existence should indicate you're in the part of his life that produces a chiller Gilgamesh.

Servants are weird, he remembers all his life even if he embodies one part of it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Servants are aware of their legend through the Grail, though they themselves might be a different part of it.

It tends to be a "plot point" of any Lily version. Like Medea's!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FF Gilgamesh is if anything more inspired by the tales of Benkei who collected swords from his defeated enemies. Too bad FGO Benkei is really bland

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

Servants are aware of their legend through the Grail, though they themselves might be a different part of it.

It tends to be a "plot point" of any Lily version. Like Medea's!

So F/S Saber is the only "real" hero/legend, since she didn't actually die yet?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
That's true of a few characters in Grand Order, but I believe so. It's why the Hall of Heroes has people from fictional works in it, too.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Wuxi posted:

So F/S Saber is the only "real" hero/legend, since she didn't actually die yet?

Scathach in FGO

Also, Saber is taken from the last moments of her life, so it doesn't make much of a difference in this context.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
and merlin also hasn't actually gone to the throne of heroes iirc

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Plutonis posted:

Too bad FGO Benkei is really bland

FGO Benkei is even worse because he's not even actually Benkei, he's someone else who took up Benkei's identity and spread his legend after the real Benkei died.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Conspiratiorist posted:

Scathach in FGO

Also, Saber is taken from the last moments of her life, so it doesn't make much of a difference in this context.
Scach is dead in FGO (as is Seiba). Little side effect of all of history burning.

Anyways, Gilgamesh is always a bit of a dick, but chills out around Enkidu or when people aren't being lame. In FZ there was a lot of people being lame.

Endorph posted:

Gilgamesh in the epic was A) the first hero and B) very vain and liked to amass wealth, it isnt much of a stretch to have him collecting legendary weapons from other heroes. Especially since even their method of acquiring those weapons is different, where F/SN Gilgamesh just outright has them because they're his to begin with and FF Gilgamesh is a wandering swordsman that gets them off people he beats (which is a reference to a fair few classic samurai movies)
(he's also a walking Tower of Druaga reference)

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Hi guys, only watched the latest anime series by UFOTable, so I only know about plot details in Fate/Zero and UBW. Here's a fun question to tackle: would the Heaven's Feel movie be uncomfortable to watch? For example, (Fate/zero spoilers) I know the arc is about Sakura, so is there any dickleech stuff going on, or any other really overtly sexual stuff? Thanks!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We have no idea because the first movie tackles literally none of that stuff and it will more than likely be a thing in the second film which comes out god knows when. It's probably gonna be creepy and uncomfortable whenever it happens though.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

No idea how explicitly it'll be depicted, but I imagine to about the same degree as it was in the Kara no Kyoukai films - they chose to do this story in film format for a reason.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Kara no Kyoukai is one of my favorite animes ever, but it got super duper uncomfortable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that was the point

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I know, that's why I said it

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

art should only exist to make me feel good

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Bakanogami posted:

Just got out of a screening of Heaven's Feel. It's good! They didn't gently caress it up!

They did a really impressive job compacting events to save time and skipping over the stuff even a casual fan has seen five times already. Everything from Shirou noticing Lancer and Archer to him and Tohsaka arriving at the church are presented as a montage while the opening credits play. By comparison, it really takes its time with added stuff, like spending the first fifteen minutes on a flashback of Shirou quitting the archery club and Sakura starting to come to his house.

In terms of how much the movie covers, it ends at Shirou returning home after losing Saber.

Some of the fights are really pumped up, like Lancer/Assassin, while others are over kinda quick, like the first Berserker/Saber one.

Mabo Tofu scene is glorious and had the otherwise stoic Japanese nerd audience chuckling.

How's the music? Any good remixes of the VN's OST?

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

It's this that I was referring to. It's just not something I associate with the mythological Gilgamesh, so both versions making him a guy with a collection of magic weapons from various mythologies seems odd.

Well Final Fantasy Gilgamesh was constantly trying to get Excalibur, while F/SN Gilgamesh wants Artoria, the wielder of Excalibur.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
e: wrong thread

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aumanor posted:

How's the music? Any good remixes of the VN's OST?

IIRC it was good but I dunno if it remixed any of the original VN stuff. It’s only part one, so it doesn’t get to any of the real big memorable tracks.

For what it’s worth I think it’s the same people who did the OST for Zero and UBW. If you liked those you’ll like it.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Just got out of the movie screening in NJ, pretty sure it was a full house. Liked it a lot, my biggest complaint visually was probably the cg cars during the Lancer fight which stood out terribly. The prologue they added with Shirou and Sakura was really good as well, maybe my favorite sequence in the movie.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Watched it in San Diego, good stuff.

Shinji getting owned was great
Mapo tofu scene was legit

the sweat beading on kirei's cheeks, goddamn

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to going to see it on Wednesday in DC

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Is it watchable legally online anywhere?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

absolutely no

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The closest place to me is 3 hours from Seattle down in Vancouver, WA? What the heck? :mad: Why there of all places i wonder? Ah well.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/KoreaJ1N/status/932068890716151808

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The real travesty is the three wasted tickets. :argh:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Same thing happened when I went to a local screening of Dredd. Some parents are bound and determined to ignore the MPAA rating.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Same thing happened when I went to a local screening of Dredd. Some parents are bound and determined to ignore the MPAA rating.

Literally every person I've ever known who has worked at a theater always has the same story to tell, about the family who drags a kid way too young into a movie that's totally unsuited for them. Usually with some combination of the usual crazy person poo poo like dropping q-bombs and saying ratings are leading to the destruction of blah blah blah freedom.

I kinda feel bad for the kids, being dragged around like that.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I watched Robocop when I was 7 and it was loving metal.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lol that family got loving owned by hassan

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Literally every person I've ever known who has worked at a theater always has the same story to tell, about the family who drags a kid way too young into a movie that's totally unsuited for them. Usually with some combination of the usual crazy person poo poo like dropping q-bombs and saying ratings are leading to the destruction of blah blah blah freedom.

I kinda feel bad for the kids, being dragged around like that.

working at an AMC during the year of Deadpool and Sausage Party was a delight

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Confession to cleanse my soul: I ended up buying THREE 140 quartz packs trying to get Scathach, one of only two Servants in Grand Order I really truly wanted. I came away from all those rolls, plus another 120 I had banked, without a single SSR. I feel hollowed out inside, and when I reflected on it I realized that I spent so much I'd be miserable even if I got her.

I take solace only in the knowledge that I felt such shame I immediately deleted my payment information from my phone, and even considering paying into a system like this again, even Overwatch boxes, is now triggering literal nausea. My god these random loot gambling systems are poison. Whichever EU country is was that's going after Battlefront 2 is doing God's work.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Heaven's Feel part one was pretty dang good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sanguinia posted:

Confession to cleanse my soul: I ended up buying THREE 140 quartz packs trying to get Scathach, one of only two Servants in Grand Order I really truly wanted. I came away from all those rolls, plus another 120 I had banked, without a single SSR. I feel hollowed out inside, and when I reflected on it I realized that I spent so much I'd be miserable even if I got her.

I take solace only in the knowledge that I felt such shame I immediately deleted my payment information from my phone, and even considering paying into a system like this again, even Overwatch boxes, is now triggering literal nausea. My god these random loot gambling systems are poison. Whichever EU country is was that's going after Battlefront 2 is doing God's work.
At least FGO publishes the drop rates, which...I guess is better? It also arguably has a better progression system in that you can get by with lower rarity servants but it's not going to be as flashy/fun IMO.

Still would've vastly preferred a non-games-as-service model either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Nate RFB posted:

At least FGO publishes the drop rates, which...I guess is better? It also arguably has a better progression system in that you can get by with lower rarity servants but it's not going to be as flashy/fun IMO.

Still would've vastly preferred a non-games-as-service model either way.

Being able to get through the game with just the Friend Point units is certainly a big boon, especially in comparison to a lot of its contemporaries and competitors. But when you look at how many new 3 star or fewer Servants are due to be added the came in the coming years vs how many 4 star or higher will be added, it's pretty disheartening.

This isn't even mentioning the content you don't get without rolling the servants, the interlude quests. GO's primary draw is the story content, both the campaign plots and individual character stories/development. It is entirely designed around using the plot and the characters as the main reward in the game loop, even the collection of materials to level up your Servants and the daily quest grind and whatnot is directly tied to unlocking dialogue lines and special Craft Essences that are intimately linked to their characters.