Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

EmesiS posted:

I would to discuss the Amazon AWS server racks
the answer is yes, each blade comes with a cd/dvd writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Datacenters sound really dangerous.

Giant rooms full of spinning blades?!

IT workers are really brave.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Golli posted:

Datacenters sound really dangerous.

Giant rooms full of spinning blades?!

IT workers are really brave.

https://i.imgur.com/l0YugWg.gifv

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
I have nothing else to add. This has been rather boring since the con was such a tepid affair.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Dark Off posted:

holy gently caress maybe cr wasnt lying.

check out the scale of that ship. Everything is scaled down :laffo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGcG0g7GsOI&t=1368s
as bonus Cr is talking about how nobody has done things at similar scale

Yes they have. Chris Roberts is really out of touch.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

SCtrumpHaters posted:

You obviously have no idea about game development or the time it takes to create a game.
I've said this before, most AAA titles take anywhere from 8 to 10 years to develope if not longer. Star Citizen has been in development for only 5 years. Do the math and come back when you have a real perspective of the time you are going to wait for a final release with the content they want to deliver.
4.0 in 3 years? yeah I can live with that. FInal release in 5 years? yup I'll take that too.

Star Citizen is being developed from the ground up with open development in mind, that means we get to see every detail including technical issues, bugs and fixes, new content as it's implemented into the game. The reason it feels like we are getting nowehre fast is because most other games have hit the shelves within 6 months of being announced, they already completed the development of the game.

We on the other hand have the privalege of being involved with the development, we have a say in what we would like to see and we, the community as a whole have the ability to shape the fundamentals of the game as we go along. Just because we mention an idea in a forum post one day doesn't mean it will be ready in a weeks time, the more ideas we come up with, the longer it will take to develope, but the more gameplay elements we will receive when the game is released.

So from now until then we can give fresh ideas and constructive feedback or critisism or we can go elsewhere until Star Citizen is released, personally I am thoroughly enjoying the development process, as long as it takes we will get the game of our dreams, you should feel honoured to be part of that adventure.

:allears:

Welcome friend. Good luck in your fight. It will be long and arduous, but rewarding if you just stick to it.

Things that will aid you on this journey:

1) If you know recipes, that's usually good to get a few of them tied up for 1-2 pages.
2) Don't mention Derek Smart unless you are willing to literally bleed from your eyes after he posts the must trite drivel you have EVER seen in your life. And even then, he'll just drone on about how fantastic a Tier 1 dev he is, everyone is wrong, he is right, blah blah words words. But, it is only the case that he engages in meaningful discourse, so fear not.
3) If you have cats or dogs, post them: again - keeps them occupied for a couple of pages.

Lastly, if you're out of ideas - :justpost:

Have fun.

ManofManyAliases fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 1, 2017

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

alf_pogs posted:

everybody should play super mario odyssey, a great game that exists, and avoid investing in star citizen, a bad game that does not exist

that's my hot take

Mario is one the best games I have ever played. I encourage people to play it also.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

taxxe with cutte catte

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I skipped a few thousand posts like any reasonable person should do and missed that SD is still somehow getting thread regulars

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I skipped a few thousand posts like any reasonable person should do and missed that SD is still somehow getting thread regulars

Thats the secret. SD always gets regulars to bite.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

illectro posted:

Honestly I don't care if they make the planets 1/10th scale with short days and hacked physics so that players don't have to match orbits with a space station. Full orbital mechanics is so trivial to implement that KSP used the stock Unity physics engine with no modification for ages, but it serves no purpose to most gamers and SC shouldn't be doing that.

Based on what I've seen they have 1/10th scale planets with a non-physical gravitational force that drops to near zero about 20km up. No problem with that. Don't stand on stage claiming that it's physically accurate.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Hobold posted:

Thats the secret. SD always gets regulars to bite.

I think his secret is it's far too obvious who it is and people dismiss it out of hand.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
The secret isn't that people reply to him. The secret is he doesn't get banned fast enough.

We get enough drivel reddit posts in the thread from true believers. We don't need a lovely fake one that doesn't even try very hard to sound realistic.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

fritzgryphon posted:

Took a moment to realize that the other spaceship passes between the camera and the smoke trail effect.

The Aurora is 8m wide so the ship would have to be less than a meter wide. This might also be a draw order problem, because the small ship -seems- to be further away than that?

The ship passing between the cam and effect is draw order problem.

The ship in the foreground being large in comparison to the one passing underneath is due to the view frustum camera zoom on the foreground ship.

The ships appear to be at scale.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Welcome friend. Good luck in your fight. It will be long and arduous, but rewarding if you just stick to it.

Things that will aid you on this journey:

1) If you know recipes, that's usually good to get a few of them tied up for 1-2 pages.
2) Don't mention Derek Smart unless you are willing to literally bleed from your eyes after he posts the must trite drivel you have EVER seen in your life. And even then, he'll just drone on about how fantastic a Tier 1 dev he is, everyone is wrong, he is right, blah blah words words. But, it is only the case that he engages in meaningful discourse, so fear not.
3) If you have cats or dogs, post them: again - keeps them occupied for a couple of pages.

Lastly, if you're out of ideas - :justpost:

Have fun.

:laffo:
:five::five::five:

----------------

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

D_Smart posted:

The ship passing between the cam and effect is draw order problem.

The ship in the foreground being large in comparison to the one passing underneath is due to the view frustum camera zoom on the foreground ship.

The ships appear to be at scale.

And it is actually a harder problem to solve, given their type of particle effects. Some AAA games ship with it still failing in the edge cases.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Sillybones posted:

And it is actually a harder problem to solve, given their type of particle effects. Some AAA games ship with it still failing in the edge cases.

Like two cams passing in the night.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

This is one of my favorite demonstrations of draw order problems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2haKPefO3E&t=180s

fritzgryphon
Jul 15, 2017

by Lowtax

XK posted:

This is one of my favorite demonstrations of draw order problems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2haKPefO3E&t=180s

I bow to the God in you.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Dark Off posted:

can you do video on scale of that city planet.
if Cr didnt lie about the realism of his physics simulation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGcG0g7GsOI#t=1677s

on earth sized planet gravity would be 9.7239 meters per second
if it was 1/100 scale would mean that gravity is 5.0676 meters per second
if it was 1/1000 scale it would mean that gravity is 0.407124021258469 meters per second
that would give us a sphere with 6.4 km radius.
A = 514718540.36415 m2
515 km2 would be the area of the city planet
for comparison just cause 3 map is 1036km2

the realities of CR's lies :laugh:

Unless my math is screwed up... :ohdear:

So are ALL planets/moons in Star Citizen 1000km diameter or something?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Sillybones posted:

The secret isn't that people reply to him. The secret is he doesn't get banned fast enough.

We get enough drivel reddit posts in the thread from true believers. We don't need a lovely fake one that doesn't even try very hard to sound realistic.

I like SD's trolling. It reminds us that even the decision to not buy internet spaceships doesn't necessarily make you smart.

Also it's not like anything important ever actually happens so he isn't exactly disrupting anything.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Quavers posted:

Yeah. It's not like we have a huge sample size, though.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I like SD's trolling. It reminds us that even the decision to not buy internet spaceships doesn't necessarily make you smart.

Also it's not like anything important ever actually happens so he isn't exactly disrupting anything.

I sort of enjoy his weird gimmicks. Though they were best when he managed to scam people into seeing his balls (even if it was fake, it’s still a :lol: moment).

Unfortunately for the thread, Citizen Con wasn’t all that great or funny. Backers will pledge because they saw another non playable video. Yada yada.

We’re basically out of good material until the next cheesy holiday sale pops up in a couple months I think.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Piss and blood soaked items? No problem!!! Let’s do it!

Donating to Star Citizen? Whoa there Nelly! You just crossed the line!

:agreed:

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Quavers posted:

You know, this honestly wouldn't bug me if Chris would actually just admit it. You want a universe where "rule of cool" is king, I'm okay with that. I mean look at Star Wars, almost everything it does is scientifically impossible, but it's so much fun you forgive it.

But here in Star Citizen land SC is both the most accurate space sim ever and also at the same time interplanetary space ships move slower then many aircraft and planets are a third the size of the moon.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Quavers posted:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Viscous Soda posted:

You know, this honestly wouldn't bug me if Chris would actually just admit it. You want a universe where "rule of cool" is king, I'm okay with that. I mean look at Star Wars, almost everything it does is scientifically impossible, but it's so much fun you forgive it.

But here in Star Citizen land SC is both the most accurate space sim ever and also at the same time interplanetary space ships move slower then many aircraft and planets are a third the size of the moon.
What exactly causes their obsession with the nitty-gritty? That remains one of the questions reading this thread for a while hasn't answered. Is it just sim grogs camping their forums, did he always intend it? Because while it feels like this game is distant from any warmth or fun, Wing Commander was pretty arcadey and schlocky, and was the cornerstone of the thumb's entire pitch wasn't it?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Does this mean that people are 6-7 inches tall? 🤔

hardycore
Nov 4, 2009

He just... he just totally made that up....

How can you

XK
Jul 9, 2001

hardycore posted:

He just... he just totally made that up....

How can you

You should be careful about quoting Star Citizen developers if you have an NDA.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Oh yeah Chris totally refuted that like years ago haha wow I cant believe goons are so behind the times welp anyways I dont have a source so dont even bother trying to argue against me have you seen the new ATV pretty cool huh alright time to go byeeeeee

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Oh yeah Chris totally refuted that like years ago haha wow I cant believe goons are so behind the times welp anyways I dont have a source so dont even bother trying to argue against me have you seen the new ATV pretty cool huh alright time to go byeeeeee

to be fair to this guy, I'm sure at some point in 230,000 hours of random retarded babbling and hand waving that Chris Roberts probably promised that scale.

The trick is that you have to ignore the thousands of other conflicting promises and statements and just cherry pick whatever makes you right in an argument.

Once you can get over the hurdle of believing anything Chris Roberts might say no matter how stupid, contradictory or impossible you'll find that Star Citizen is actually everything.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

We're currently trying to catch a dirty protester who keeps pissing in the toilet brush holder in one specific stall. They have lids on and you can't tell it's happened without going for the brush until it's about half full because thats the critical mass point where the whole stall suddenly reeks of piss, so he's making more than one deposit a day.

We have no leads other than "it's definitely one of the 241 men who work in this building" and the case is almost a year old.

Time for facilities management to invest in one of those wetness alarms (they make 'em for washing machines, dishwashers, bed-wetters, etc.) and run a sting operation. There ought to be one out there with a sensor small enough to fit in the holder.

But let's be honest: if this has been going on for a year and there are no leads, it's probably the guy you have investigating it who's pissing in the toilet brush holder. THE PERFECT CRIME.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Reading that reminds me of this:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

For shame, fellow Aussies. Piss trough conversations and you don't include this ode to kidney shyness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVjGbavYoss

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
I'm tired of seeing open development being parroted. It's not open unless they disclose the financials to the people who funded the development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE

SCtrumpHaters posted:

They willfuly deny the brilliance of Star Citizen, hide behind a wall of cynicsm and only criticize. But mark my words, when the game releases, even the most cynical won't be able to hide before it's brilliance. These haters will be the first in line wanting, no, begging to play. And we'll look down and whisper "No".

What will really happen is if it's anywhere passable as a game at release there will be an influx of riffraff hordes charging in to spoil everyone else's game, at the basic level price point, and at this point anyone whose backed previously for a higher amount will be crying into their jpg whiskeys hammering the settings menu looking for the non-existent pvp slider.