Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

enojy posted:

What's the deal with (postgame) being able to buy moons 10 at a time from the shops? Do those count towards your total? Do they subtract from the missing moons in the level?
Yes, no. seems like something happens when you max out the moon counter, but there aren't enough collectible moons in the game so you have to buy the rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

enojy posted:

What's the deal with (postgame) being able to buy moons 10 at a time from the shops? Do those count towards your total? Do they subtract from the missing moons in the level?

They're there for two purposes. 1) To let you buy them to get your count up enough to unlock things if you don't want to play the game and get them that way for some reason.

2) To go above the normal max count because apparently something happens if you get to 999 moons. I dunno what yet cause I haven't bothered grinding the coins I'd need.

They don't count for level totals or anything, just your overall count.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

As amazing and brilliant as Super Mario Odyssey is, it doesn't give me quite the same feeling of "holy poo poo how is it even possible for this game to exist" that BOTW did. It's "merely" the kind of brilliant design that I've come to expect from the 3D Mario developers.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

As amazing and brilliant as Super Mario Odyssey is, it doesn't give me quite the same feeling of "holy poo poo how is it even possible for this game to exist" that BOTW did. It's "merely" the kind of brilliant design that I've come to expect from the 3D Mario developers.

I think that's fair, after all Odyssey is a much "safer" game that just does the tried and true formula extremely well (and also is charming and amazing and oh my god it's so good) while BotW was a big gamble that gave us something very fresh and very incredible.

The fact that in TYOOL 2017 we're getting the most amazing Zelda and Mario games ever is insane to think about though.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
So today I learned that Japanese Breath of the Wild Twitter posts are things of beauty and art:
https://twitter.com/mWi1ME/status/921971908433780736

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Augus posted:

I'm the maniac that likes Odyssey better than botw

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Orange Crush Rush posted:

So today I learned that Japanese Breath of the Wild Twitter posts are things of beauty and art:
https://twitter.com/mWi1ME/status/921971908433780736
Is this a “I threw that poo poo before I came in the ROOM!” kind of situation or what?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, you can hear the stasis on the thing wearing off just before he talks to the dude

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zelder posted:

That's perfectly understandable, they have different gameplay and it's up to personal preference which one you like more. Theyre both absolutely amazing games and getting them both in the same year is insane. It's just that BOTW succeeded in ways that I once thought were literally impossible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zelder posted:

Same, at least Odyssey still plays like a Mario game.
Better bosses than BotW too.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mongoose posted:

Jump combos in Mario are so much fun. After beating the game I've been running around all the kingdoms doing jumps I couldn't at the time. Even for no reward, it's fun to see what you can jump up.

Don't know how to embed tweets..

Cliffhanger Mario in the desert - https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/925330740060884992
Racing in Cascade kingdom - https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/925365393681612800

drat good job dude

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have played Super Mario Odyssey for twenty minutes and already I have had more fun with it than I did with 40 hours in Breath of the Wild

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They're very different games and I don't get people's obsession to compare them (and everything else)

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Really enjoying Odyssey, but it is moving quick and the puzzles are even easier than tha BOTW puzzles (so far at least). So I think I would still give BOTW the nod for GOTY, and Odyssey can battle out Horizon for the #2 spot. BOTW is just a bigger and more grandiose game, and the environment interaction is hard to beat.

While it is still on sale, does Shovel Knight Treasure Trove have anything extra that is not available on the 3DS or PS4/PS3/Vita versions? Since I have the other copies, is it worth buying? I haven’t done any of the other knight’s adventures on my other versions, but aren’t they downloadable?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have played Super Mario Odyssey for twenty minutes and already I have had more fun with it than I did with 40 hours in Breath of the Wild

I had the same experience however I still consider BotW a masterpiece; staggering in scope, detail and art direction.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

They're very different games and I don't get people's obsession to compare them (and everything else)
Agreed

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Zelder posted:

I think in a few years people will look back less favorably on BotW. It's a great game but still has a number of flaws around dungeon design and power balance. Open world games aren't anything new and I think it being a real first for the series is giving it an artificial boost. The story is almost nonexistent and no one beyond Zelda has much of any depth at all. They could easily build on that framework and do a Majora's Mask kind of followup though.

As far as I see it, SMO is a better game with essentially no flaws beyond sometimes annoying motion controls which can be patched if Nintendo cares enough.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Mario is the perfection of a formula that Nintendo previously was moving away from.

Zelda is a revolutionary turn for a classic icon that was somehow executed perfectly.

It's literally just a question of which perfect execution you dig more. I love old 3d Mario so nailing that juuuuust barely beats masterfully updating another of my favorite ips. There's no wrong answer here, though, both are straight 10/10 showing

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

if nintendo patched button control options for the motion controls in super mario odyssey it would be a strong contender for one of the greatest games of all time

it kind of already is but i'm just annoyed i was playing it on the bus earlier and had to get a moon that required hat spins so i looked like an rear end in a top hat jerking my switch around

(yes i know about the current button alternative for that and no it's not as quick or reliable)

botw is also incredible but it did leave me with a sense of wanting... more. not necessarily from a world mass standpoint but just from like a design standpoint i guess? i would love some more traditional style dungeons. not the linearity of "you have to do these dungeons in this order" but more that i just can't get the idea out of my head of "how do you design a dungeon that at any moment i could just walk outside and climb it?". i feel there is a lot of potential there. majoras mask was really good about making the dungeons themselves feel like one big central puzzle and i'd love to see something like that with BotW mechanics.

both odyssey and botw are insanely good but i think i like odyssey more. either way they're both some of the best nintendo has to offer in their two biggest franchises and the fact that we got both of them on a kick rear end new console makes for a crazy year.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Zelder posted:

BOTW has some bad design decisions (especially rain limiting climbing with no gear to counter it despite there being an abundance of unique outfits) and disappointing decisions (few dungeons, bad dungeons other than Hyrule Castle, disappointing final boss, and sparse story with bad voice acting). I still loved it, beat it on WiiU and put in more than 40 hours on the Switch, but it was so different from other Zelda games that it easily could have been a new IP. Second time around I am just exploring the map at my own pace and skipping the story altogether. I am looking forward to seeing where the series goes from here.

SMO is densely packed platforming perfection. It’s so good that I didn’t even notice it was missing some key series staples that may or may not be addressed in the post-game. The camera can be problematic and there should have been more Bowser levels, but it’s a solid experience that caters to many different play styles. I don’t even want DLC because I want them to get to work right away on Odyssey 2, maybe even featuring some Galaxy mechanics.

Nothing wrong with preferring SMO. It’s still early, but I think I do, too.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Nintendo is making me choose between one of the best platformers ever and what may very well be the best open world game ever for my favorite game this year. Its not fair, no one should be expected to make such a decision!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I like how Odyssey approaches its open world better than BotW to be honest, so I'd give it to Mario in this instance. Odyssey hooked me hard from the word go.

GotY this year is way too hard though. We had Persona 5, Horizon, Zelda and Mario and I mean, that's just the first four that come into my mind as contenders.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What I think is the most amazing thing about BotW and SMO is that they're 30 year old franchises and both felt like they had lost some of their charm to me (15 years since a 3D Mario like 64/Sunshine, Zelda games getting pretty stale after WW) and then Nintendo just completely knocks it out of the park with both franchises in the same year.

and also the Switch is amazing which helps

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I think the next open world version of Zelda would fair better if they gave you more of a reason to explore other than beelining shrines. Korok seeds are great and all but I never cared for the inventory space. With weapon durability and no way to repair I never cared enough to hold on to anything.

That also led to me not really caring what was in a chest. Why would I want to fight a bunch of bokoblins for another lightning spear that I'll just end up breaking the next fight. Now heart containers were something worth fighting for. I'd climb every mountain and clear every baddy base for a piece of heart.

Despite that BotW was by far the most well polished game I've played in years. Such incredible attention to detail. That said I still see a little room for improvement.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Your Computer posted:

felt like they had lost some of their charm to me (15 years since a 3D Mario like 64/Sunshine,

Did you not play Galaxy or Galaxy 2? 3D World was also surprisingly solid, but I know most people skipped WiiU.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

the truth posted:

Did you not play Galaxy or Galaxy 2? 3D World was also surprisingly solid, but I know most people skipped WiiU.
I did not, my broken brain/eyes don't really allow for it and I get motion sick just thinking about the game. I did play 3D World and I think it's a good game, but it's not an exploration-based 3D platformer "collectathon" type game like 64 and Sunshine at all. It's a 2D Mario set in a 3D space, and that's very different. Heck, you even have a timer :(

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I like how Odyssey approaches its open world better than BotW to be honest, so I'd give it to Mario in this instance
Odyssey isn't open world at all though? :confused: It's level-based as heck.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kaewan posted:

I think the next open world version of Zelda would fair better if they gave you more of a reason to explore other than beelining shrines. Korok seeds are great and all but I never cared for the inventory space. With weapon durability and no way to repair I never cared enough to hold on to anything.

That also led to me not really caring what was in a chest. Why would I want to fight a bunch of bokoblins for another lightning spear that I'll just end up breaking the next fight. Now heart containers were something worth fighting for. I'd climb every mountain and clear every baddy base for a piece of heart.

Despite that BotW was by far the most well polished game I've played in years. Such incredible attention to detail. That said I still see a little room for improvement.

This really well articulates my problem with it and where I'd wan them to focus their changes. Just integrate collectibles into the world. They have an absolutely stunningly good sense of environmental design, so why not just put it to better use?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there any reason to actually buy a pro controller? The joy con frankenstein thing feels fine to me even if it's tiny.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I like how Odyssey approaches its open world better than BotW to be honest, so I'd give it to Mario in this instance. Odyssey hooked me hard from the word go.

GotY this year is way too hard though. We had Persona 5, Horizon, Zelda and Mario and I mean, that's just the first four that come into my mind as contenders.

Mario isn't open world. It's s a series of levels, some of them quite large. There is a difference.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

Is there any reason to actually buy a pro controller? The joy con frankenstein thing feels fine to me even if it's tiny.

I'd decide it on comfort. If the joycon grip is comfortable for you to use, I wouldn't worry about the pro controller. Joycon use, either seperated, or in the grip, was problematic for me, and I find the pro controller much more comfortable to use.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
The game does a fantastic loving job hiding the fact that it doesn't have power-ups.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Captures essentially are power-ups. They serve the same function of temporarily expanding Mario's options beyond his normal means. That's how the power-ups have worked in all the 3D games (other than 3D world which is weird hybrid).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Internet Kraken posted:

Captures essentially are power-ups. They serve the same function of temporarily expanding Mario's options beyond his normal means. That's how the power-ups have worked in all the 3D games (other than 3D world which is weird hybrid).

I'd still like a wing cap and the occasional invincibility star though.

And the red & white, Mario 1 fire flower version of his clothes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm considering one just because taking the joycons off the grip every time I want to go portable is starting to annoy me. Also a store by where I live is selling them for £30 instead of £55.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

IMO a Pro Controller is worth it just for being able to leave it connected to a cable all the time so you don't have to worry about battery life.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Your Computer posted:

i agree but also dont, kinda? like they're completely different genres and have different goals, but i can absolutely say i had more fun with SMO then BOTW.

theyre both good games tho

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
For me, BotW is the more flawed of the two games, but the things it does well it does really well, enough for me at least to prefer it. It probably helps I don't have a major attachment to the Zelda series. Meanwhile, I don't think Odyssey is that major an innovation for its series, but I also don't really care because I've never played a Mario platformer I didn't love (OK, maybe Lost Levels) and Odyssey is as fantastic as the rest of them while still adding plenty of new twists and that great sense of exploration and wonder. It'll likely be my #2 GotY once I've had more than a week to enjoy it.

They're both fantastic games and I'm really happy that Nintendo's trying a bunch of new things that seem to be succeeding for the most part (though they can't all be winners, sorry ARMS).

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

IMO a Pro Controller is worth it just for being able to leave it connected to a cable all the time so you don't have to worry about battery life.

I mean, the thing has a battery life of like 70 hours so you don't really have to worry about it anyway. I just stick mine on to charge overnight once every couple of weeks and that's fine.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

This is the weirdest post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I love BOTW and it's easily still GOTY for me but I get the sense that like Mario 64, it's going to be one of those games that won't age well as Nintendo (and others) refines the gameplay concept down to the things that work, and more people become aware of the problems the original has. I'm pretty excited for the hypothetical Zelda game 10 years from now which will be to BOTW what Mario Odyssey is to Mario 64.

• Locked thread