Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
imagine using your spare or professional time to write about them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
gruber is stil salty af

quote:

Because I’ve only had about 24 hours with the iPhone X, I’m in no position to write a review yet.

I was far from alone in not getting an extended period of time to test the phone before the review embargo lifted. Here’s what others are saying in their reviews.

A thought that crossed my mind this week: What would Apple have done if Walt Mossberg hadn’t retired earlier this year?

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

put gruber on suicide watch

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

AWWNAW posted:

apple hasn't made that model watch yet

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

AWWNAW posted:

just let him lose his smug fat rear end mind

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
its sad when you give your professional life for a company and all you get in return is a great livelihood writing like 500 words a week and a phone which is LATE :mad:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

biggest proof the MacBook touchbar loving sucks: no laptop makers seem even remotely interested in copying it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

biggest proof the MacBook touchbar loving sucks: no laptop makers seem even remotely interested in copying it

whoa, true. the only.aomewhat comparable thing is razer laptops with fucky numpad, but that predates touchbar by years and is extremely lol on its own

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so still yet to get off my rear end to put my phone on my own appleid or whatever so I guess that means

actually starting my phone from scratch?

all apps I have previously bought are gone? and will have to re-buy

is there a quick way to copy contacts?

no icloud in history for ones I download?

what about icloud calendars? is there a way to share them? or if not how do ya do shared calendars

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

frankly most of the disparity seems to come from the additional unlock animation the iphone x does for whatever reason

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

echinopsis posted:

so still yet to get off my rear end to put my phone on my own appleid or whatever so I guess that means

actually starting my phone from scratch?

all apps I have previously bought are gone? and will have to re-buy

is there a quick way to copy contacts?

no icloud in history for ones I download?

what about icloud calendars? is there a way to share them? or if not how do ya do shared calendars

there’s a bunch of apps that will export contacts but I can’t recommend one since I’ve never needed to do so

why aren’t you on your own Apple ID? if it’s for work reasons you’re hosed, if you were using a shared account maybe you can set it up as a family group

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just all ios devices in the house are on one id.. it's not necessarily clear that you shouldnt do this when you set up. regardless, am moving out and also sick of poo poo being shared between phones like imessages etc

seems sharing a calendar isn't hard, but I wonder if that means I can import it on my phone and it acts as if it's one of mine

as far as apps go I think only one I will have to re-buy but what a hassle gently caress

lame

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Linguica posted:

frankly most of the disparity seems to come from the additional unlock animation the iphone x does for whatever reason

that's prolly where id part happens

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

echinopsis posted:

just all ios devices in the house are on one id.. it's not necessarily clear that you shouldnt do this when you set up. regardless, am moving out and also sick of poo poo being shared between phones like imessages etc
If you own the email to the Apple ID then just change the password and secret questions and put all of the devices you won't be using in lost mode via the find my iPhone app.

easy peasy.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Jenny Agutter posted:

in a 450dpi screen it is extremely important the pixels are the right shape

it was when android was doing it, but i guess apple perfected it once again

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Laslow posted:

If you own the email to the Apple ID then just change the password and secret questions and put all of the devices you won't be using in lost mode via the find my iPhone app.

easy peasy.

lol does this just gently caress other people over or what

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

echinopsis posted:

seems sharing a calendar isn't hard, but I wonder if that means I can import it on my phone and it acts as if it's one of mine

as far as apps go I think only one I will have to re-buy but what a hassle gently caress

lame

echi, please add some "you guys" and stuff about Michigan so I can read this in @dadboner style.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

yeah lol

also thurott is reporting the face id being bad rumor as fact despite every reviewer saying it works at least as well as touch id

on a slightly positive note, he is at least saying it's bad because kinect was bad, in a rare admission that something ms did was bad

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 1, 2017

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

echinopsis posted:

they read all your imessages without your permission, gently caress em

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

lol ya boi Nilay kicking some stink over FaceID not working outdoors, only to show him waddling around holding the phone down below his loving waist

at least he stopped wearing the sub cuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqRdl2P2CjE

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Matinee posted:

at least he stopped wearing the sub cuff
all you can say as fact is that he's not wearing it where you expected him to be wearing it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah in his first-day review he mentioned that apple says it works best 10-20 inches from your face and then says he usually holds it further away than that. like, does he walk around holding his phone at arm's length all the time?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Matinee posted:

lol ya boi Nilay kicking some stink over FaceID not working outdoors, only to show him waddling around holding the phone down below his loving waist
its a complete mystery why apple gave their first review units to enthusiastic young youtubers and not sour nitpicky nerds

a complete loving mystery

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
nilay has been bitter at apple since they stopped giving the verge review units. he was hilariously mad about headphone jacks

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

he was hilariously mad about headphone jacks
still is

quote:

There’s no headphone jack, which continues to suck on every phone that omits it, but that’s the price you pay for a bezel-less screen with a notch at the top.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
they could give out only one unit to the pioneer woman cooking blog and it would make zero effect on sales.

also, they only made like 40 of them, so you can think of the people getting them on Friday as early reviewers anyway since you won't be able to go into a store and buy one til January.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Laslow posted:

also, they only made like 40 of them, so you can think of the people getting them on Friday as early reviewers anyway since you won't be able to go into a store and buy one til January.

if this is the case why even bother advertising with bloggers and youtubers now?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Boiled Water posted:

if this is the case why even bother advertising with bloggers and youtubers now?

institutional inertia, probably

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

yeah in his first-day review he mentioned that apple says it works best 10-20 inches from your face and then says he usually holds it further away than that. like, does he walk around holding his phone at arm's length all the time?

i use my phone like that, sometimes I just want to check something quick and I can unlock it quickly with Touch ID and it’s the exact reason I didn’t preorder an iPhone x - not confident about face ID yet

what he says was exactly my concern, having to hold the phone right in front of you like an idiot

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
someday the iphonex 2 will arrive with faceid and built in fingerprinting and that will be an actually Good phone

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
also sapphire glass or whatever that actually doesn’t get scratched

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

also sapphire glass or whatever that actually doesn’t get scratched

it turns out sapphire isn't a good phone material since it's so brittle once it does fail instead of getting a little scratch or small crack the whole crystal shatters and when you drop a phone on its edge or corner it's super likely to have enough energy to destroy it

apple spent like 5 billion dollars learning this lesson so they use laminated glass instead

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

it turns out sapphire isn't a good phone material since it's so brittle once it does fail instead of getting a little scratch or small crack the whole crystal shatters and when you drop a phone on its edge or corner it's super likely to have enough energy to destroy it

apple spent like 5 billion dollars learning this lesson so they use laminated glass instead

the non poor version Apple Watch uses a sapphire display. the sapphire phone screens were scrapped because their manufacturer couldn’t scale their production. apple wouldn’t have committed that much money if they didn’t already test prototypes and verify that it works for them.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

The Management posted:

the non poor version Apple Watch uses a sapphire display. the sapphire phone screens were scrapped because their manufacturer couldn’t scale their production. apple wouldn’t have committed that much money if they didn’t already test prototypes and verify that it works for them.

gotta figure you're also not as likely to drop your watch

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

gotta figure you're also not as likely to drop your watch

Smacking your watch against a hard surface is pretty likely though, without having to actually drop it.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i have smacked a sapphire coated watch on a wall before with sad, scratchy results

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
My stainless steel Apple Watch’s screen is pretty scratched up, but in my defense, I actually had a pocket full of sand (long story) that I stuck my watch into.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

watch crystals are different, there's less mass, they're usually hit square on and there's generally a meaty arm behind it to absorb some of the energy but they will still happily shatter though, e.g.

no, I don't know the particulars of the whole supplier fiasco but nobody else has even tried yet outside of the comedy vertu option

they might get some added strength with a screen bonded to it as well where watch crystals are typically unsupported

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
cannot wait for phones that require you to hold the phone perfectly in front of your face which will be very convenient for muggers since you're basically handing it to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Stymie posted:

cannot wait for phones that require you to hold the phone perfectly in front of your face which will be very convenient for muggers since you're basically handing it to them

if you’re getting mugged it doesn’t really matter how you’re holding your phone