Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Avalerion posted:

Shallan's schyzo episodes are unevering but I asume they are supposed to be. That aside I actually like her expect for when Brandon tries to do scatological " humor" with her.

I remember being annoyed by her on first read but in hindsight that was really just because I wanted to get back to the shattered plains stuff.

I can't remover her having episodes before this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Before this she was in an episode all the time.

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010
can i have the whole book now. k. thanks.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

M_Gargantua posted:

I can't remover her having episodes before this.

She wouldn't actively compartmentalize new stuff, but anything touching on her history got the CAN'T HEAR MY THINKING LOUD NOISES *reboot* treatment. Now it's just a bit more obvious since she was forced to turn her formerly tortured memories into unsurpressable Truths for her Order advancement.

Which is kinda funny, since it means that Kaladin whacking her brother is probably going to turn into a Lightweaver level up for her at some point.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

OAquinas posted:

CAN'T HEAR MY THINKING LOUD NOISES *reboot*

There were a handful of these that kind of flew by with soft exclamation points. They're way more noticeable (because of the subject matter of the conversations and interactions and such surrounding them) upon reread.

Also she's very obviously a shardbearer keeping it on the sly, the entire time. (Until we find out it was a for realsies spren blade this whole time)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Some more of the inside art has been revealed:

https://www.tor.com/2017/10/26/revealed-the-full-endpapers-from-brandon-sandersons-oathbringer/

I love that Jezrien and Shalash are clearly non-white.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Some more of the inside art has been revealed:

https://www.tor.com/2017/10/26/revealed-the-full-endpapers-from-brandon-sandersons-oathbringer/

I love that Jezrien and Shalash are clearly non-white.

Fun fact everyone but the Shin are not white

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Are they not? Alethi characters always describe them as pale.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Yeah, Brandon talks about it here https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/4shyds/no_spoilers_til_that_the_people_who_live_in/

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

mossyfisk posted:

Are they not? Alethi characters always describe them as pale.

Everyone is asian except the Shin. That's why the shin are always described as having big, wide eyes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Everyone is asian except the Shin. That's why the shin are always described as having big, wide eyes.

Horneaters are all red-haired samoans.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
In my head everyone starts at Italian tan and just gets darker from there.

I hope in whatever eventual adaptation the cosmere gets everybody keeps their book cannon, rather than being white. You just have to do it Star Trek style with a little prosthetic and makeup, not too difficult.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

In my head everyone starts at Italian tan and just gets darker from there.

I hope in whatever eventual adaptation the cosmere gets everybody keeps their book cannon, rather than being white. You just have to do it Star Trek style with a little prosthetic and makeup, not too difficult.

The company adapting stormlight is based out of China, and apparently one of the things that attracted them to the franchise was that they could cast most of the leads with Chinese actors.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Oh sorry, I misread that as "fun fact everyone, the Shin are not white"

mewse
May 2, 2006

I thought shin was One Punch Man

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I wanna make an MMO where Saitama is a race, but they can't loot equipment

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Now that Lopen has regrown his missing arm, and before Kaladin is back, he should have his other arm cut off and then only use enough stormlight to heal the wound, then everyone should act like it's always been that arm that's missing.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
And so Lopen would invent the term "stormlighting" someone.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The lopen does that when he swings by Urithiru as a joke, the next day they find that copycat violence spren cutting its own arms off

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
The preview chapters so far have had a criminal lack of Bridge 4.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Subvisual Haze posted:

The preview chapters so far have had a criminal lack of Bridge 4.

Guess what gets remedied today?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Nice confrontation. Also a mural dedicated to both Honor and Cultivation in the citadel capital of the Knights Radiant eh.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I just finished Way of Kings and can't tell if I'm supposed to see Shallan as a massive dork or witty because everyone keeps calling her that without any of the dialogue actually supporting it.

Same thing for Wit pretty much.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
What a great couple chapters that was and very fitting for Halloween!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

slev posted:

I just finished Way of Kings and can't tell if I'm supposed to see Shallan as a massive dork or witty because everyone keeps calling her that without any of the dialogue actually supporting it.

Same thing for Wit pretty much.

The only people who appreciate Shallan's humor are her subordinates and a guy honeydicking her.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

So much to unpack in these chapters.

Also, Bridge 4!

HOWEVER

:colbert: needs more Lopen.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Proteus Jones posted:

So much to unpack in these chapters.

Also, Bridge 4!

HOWEVER

:colbert: needs more Lopen.

Lopen's got two many arms for real page time.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
If Re-Shephir was influencing the geometry of the tower, and making it dangerous and difficult to navigate due to unnatural twistyness, could it have also been influencing the words the span reeds were carrying? Or perhaps another Odium-spren? Because i'm feeling echos of Ruin in mistborn messing with everyones heads. Best case Re-Shephir now knows way to much insider knowledge from Shallan sitting in on all the planning meetings and is going to come back to bite them before long.

Also pumped for Dalinars appearance as a giant sky face with that Queen and, hopefully get her to willingly ask for, the Honor memories getting crammed through her skull.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Still kinda curious to see what the end result of the series will be. Probably still something along the lines of Honor is reformed, or their essence is gathered and merged with Odium to create Justice(Vengeance?) or whatever, but that's already been done once before so I doubt Sanderson would do it. Though the ultimate ending to the Cosmere is probably everything getting recombined so :shrug:

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

Still kinda curious to see what the end result of the series will be. Probably still something along the lines of Honor is reformed, or their essence is gathered and merged with Odium to create Justice(Vengeance?) or whatever, but that's already been done once before so I doubt Sanderson would do it. Though the ultimate ending to the Cosmere is probably everything getting recombined so :shrug:

Not necessarily, there could be some other stable equilibrium reached. Probably as a result of some more combinations of shards, though. There's probably shard slashfic out there somewhere.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
And on this end of possible endings, what I’ll call the Wheel of Time ending—they manage to reestablish the Oathpact, distribute the Honorblades to a new set of Radiants, people start to reform the Knights Radiant, and Kaladin, Dalinar, et. al., go to hell for a thousand years to wait for the next Desolation.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Hell has been confirmed to be the other planet in roshar's system. I think we'll definitely see something interesting in regards to that.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Avalerion posted:

Hell has been confirmed to be the other planet in roshar's system. I think we'll definitely see something interesting in regards to that.

The Rosharan system has 13 planets: Roshar, the hell one where voidspren and odium are chilling, one with people in sky cities, and (not) coincidentally ten other smaller planets named after the Heralds. There's also three moons. Totals 16(!) bodies. https://coppermind.net/wiki/Rosharan_System

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

The end will probably be more of a forced stalemate for this sequence of books. Stormlight is supposed to be two arcs of 5 books each, with a minor time gap between them. WoB has him wanting to develop Lift for the second sequence, so it probably won't be a multi-century hop.

And really, a forced stalemate with the embodiment of Divine Wrath after the god power in your corner got himself whacked isn't that bad an outcome.

The second sequence will likely deal with finally evicting Odium from Roshar. I doubt he'll be defeated outright like Ruin; plus he'd see being freed as a win, as would the Rosharans who don't think too hard about other worlds.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

OAquinas posted:

The end will probably be more of a forced stalemate for this sequence of books

And really, a forced stalemate with the embodiment of Divine Wrath after the god power in your corner got himself whacked isn't that bad an outcome.

I suspect it won't even be this good of an ending for Roshar. I suspect they'll be on the losing side of the conflict at the end of the first 5 books, particularly due to this death rattle from WoK:

quote:

Victory! We stand atop the mount! We scatter them before us! Their homes become our dens, their lands are now our farms! And they shall burn, as we once did, in a place that is hollow and forlorn.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Well, a forced stalemate with an incredibly destructive force is probably going to be akin to the total destruction implied at the end of the last Desolations. They may be in a slightly better position, but I'd expect entire cities to be wiped out...it won't be pretty.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I wonder if they'll end up with the back half of the series fighting a retreating battle as a kind of nation in exile based in other worlds of the Cosmere as it spirals out.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Proteus Jones posted:

I wonder if they'll end up with the back half of the series fighting a retreating battle as a kind of nation in exile based in other worlds of the Cosmere as it spirals out.

Odium's biggest threat in doing so is Harmony, however (W&W stuff) Odium has plans for dealing with Harmony even though he doesn't have as much raw power. Maybe that's what Trell is, since Harmony is aware of the greater Cosmere but doesn't seem to know just wtf Trell is, but it seems to be a malicious force of some kind.

OTOH, fighting across the cosmere could mean things like Odium's forces being victorious in a large battle on Threnody and setting up that world's nightmarish state.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I got the impression that Trell is a world level force who exists on scadrial but does not influence the Cosmere but Bran San is n2bad at misdirection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

pile of brown posted:

I got the impression that Trell is a world level force who exists on scadrial but does not influence the Cosmere but Bran San is n2bad at misdirection

I thought Trell was the shard Autonomy? Also a natural opposite to Harmony with his tendency to just sit on his hands.