Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

This is indeed the horror classic whose name you likely haven't heard in twenty years. Does it hold up? Absolutely not. Join me if and only if you wish to see how poorly-made a game could be and still find an audience back in the early days of survival horror.

Also recommended for your viewing pleasure is the LP of Kalisto's The Fifth Element, which puts the Nightmare Creatures engine to a much less polished and enjoyable use.

TAG YOUR SPOILERS (Note: This game does not feature anything that can be spoiled)

Videos (Playlist)
01 - Chelsea
02 - Spitalfield
03 - Thames Tunnel
04 - India Docks
05 - Highgate Cemetery
06 - Hampstead Heath
07 - Queenhite Docks
08 - City
09 - Smithfield
Bonus - Cheats
10 - Regents Canal
11 - London Zoo
12 - Marylebone
13 - Bloomsbury
14 - Pimlico
15 - Westminster
16 - Westminster II

Monsters

Items

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I recall renting this game as a kid and while the cut scenes were interesting, I vaguely recall the bosses being poo poo.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My cousin had this game. Cheat codes were the one true way.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oi, massive nostalgia here. Finally I get to find out whether me never getting anywhere in that was because I was a kid or the game's keyboard controls and difficulty were rear end.

e: Are we to understand you are not playing as the monk who makes monsters explode by kicking them?

e2: Oh, nevermind, do carry on. It does make me wonder though; I know I played this on the PC, but that was probably a PS1 port? I'll know once we get to the cemetery level.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 17, 2017

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"
I owned this game on PS1 shortly after it came out! The music and the dismemberment are the best things about it. I remember that it drags in the second half and finishing it was a chore but I got there. I think I played Nadia because she has a better jump attack or spin-move or something....I can't remember

I do remember that those ripper guys you saw winning the N64 monster battle are a bit of a pain when you reach them.

The adrenaline meter only made a very challenging game more tedious. Glad they removed it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, early 3D. Heady times. Also kind of lovely times. Looking forward to this one.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
These werewolves of London seem like some rude boys.

But their hair is perfect.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

This and...Deadly Arts I think it was called were the only two games my cousin had for his N64 that I hadn't played when he got his in 2001. I'd say both were pretty meh but this one I kept playing because I enjoyed the horror aesthetic and also the music. Some of the creatures shown in the intro, when I first ran into them in game I was actually pretty terrified so good job game. I didn't even know that the N64 version was a year later, I've never seen those cutscenes or heard that audio until today so thanks Fiendly :)

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update
02 - Spitalfield

Aces High posted:

I didn't even know that the N64 version was a year later, I've never seen those cutscenes or heard that audio until today so thanks Fiendly :)

My distinct pleasure, I didn't know about all that cool stuff myself until I started researching for the LP and realized I'd have to buy the game twice.

dscruffy1 posted:

These werewolves of London seem like some rude boys.

But their hair is perfect.

I'm legitimately angry I didn't make this reference myself. I should have my LPers license revoked.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. So, do kicks have a longer range than the sword? It seemed that way, but that also feels kind of wrong.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

KirbyKhan posted:

My cousin had this game. Cheat codes were the one true way.

This game had cheat codes?

Of course it did. Not that I knew that the one time I rented it. My sister and I took turns trying to beat it but it was pretty hard.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I remember playing this on PC I think, had a demo disc of it? Maybe PC Zone.

Reminds me of Escape : ODT which was also early 3d jank.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update
03 - Thames Tunnel

This is the Day of the Dead, and as good a time as any for a sewer level.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Fiendly posted:

Update
03 - Thames Tunnel

This is the Day of the Dead, and as good a time as any for a sewer level.

So much drum-machine in that boss fight.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

A Perfect Twist posted:

So much drum-machine in that boss fight.

What really gets me is that it's off tempo, like they took an Agoraphobic Nosebleed drum track and just put it under their music. It seriously reminds me of this.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I didn't know the game had cheat codes. I just brute-forced the simplistic password system and somehow wound up at the last level with 24 lives.
I still almost lost.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I would have thought a giant quarterstaff would have more operational reach than a foot. Shows what I know.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Fiendly posted:

What really gets me is that it's off tempo, like they took an Agoraphobic Nosebleed drum track and just put it under their music. It seriously reminds me of this.

I remember taking the playstation disc of this game and putting it in the CD player and you could listen to all the music! GTA 1 had the best soundtrack but this one came close. I don't remember the first boss track being so rough. It got me to look up the music on youtube here - the sewer snake track sounds better isolated from the game but the drummer seems like he was trying a little too hard - and goes off-tempo at points. The Adam Crowley boss fight theme is pretty bangin' in a teenage-metal-phase kind of way.

A Perfect Twist fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 2, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Fiendly posted:

This is indeed the horror classic whose name you likely haven't heard in twenty years.

Well, that's not quite accurate :v:
https://youtu.be/7rPiqo397lM

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Glazius posted:

I would have thought a giant quarterstaff would have more operational reach than a foot. Shows what I know.

Ignatius holds the drat thing almost vertical for all his attacks and it drives me crazy. Yet another reason I prefer Nadia.

A Perfect Twist posted:

I remember taking the playstation disc of this game and putting it in the CD player and you could listen to all the music!

Oh poo poo, I never owned a Playstation so I never would've thought to do this, but I just put the disc in my PC and indeed the whole soundtrack is on there. I already bought it off the composer's bandcamp though, because it's very good and I needed the music isolated for an upcoming video.

Rodyle posted:

Well, that's not quite accurate :v:
https://youtu.be/7rPiqo397lM

Yeah, I heard about the announcement of the third game, but I hadn't seen the trailer. It looks really bad, and the developers working on it don't inspire a lot of confidence. Nightmare Creatures has enough good ideas that a new sequel could be really good, but I'm expecting it to be another interesting mess like the original.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think this is as far as I got because of all the gently caress you traps. As a kid I didn't have the patience to bait them out while trying to race the adrenaline meter.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

So if you subscribe to descriptive linguistics, octopi is actually a valid pluralization nowadays, alongside octopode (rarely ever used) and octopuses.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I never liked the boss fights in this game, no. 1 because the music kinda sucks compared to all the other tracks and no. 2 they're kind of boring what with the whole only a specific way to do damage thing

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update
04 - India Docks

A forgettable level, but it does introduce a significant mechanic. Also, it's not a sewer.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Fiendly posted:

Update
04 - India Docks

A forgettable level, but it does introduce a significant mechanic. Also, it's not a sewer.

It has been so drat long since I saw this stuff. That otherwise uninteresting boat with the upgrade near it. Those annoying screaming things. The confusing level layout that makes no sense as it's meant to be a functioning city but is there to make the adrenaline meter a problem because you get lost easily. Blue dudes dropping in from space. So many cheap deaths.

I never knew about the sequel until you mentioned it. I looked it up on youtube. In 2000 it might have been cutting edge but looks just as bad as the original. Rob Zombie music in the cut-scenes sounds like a good get for Kalisto entertainment. Are you going to LP that as well?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

A Perfect Twist posted:

I never knew about the sequel until you mentioned it. I looked it up on youtube. In 2000 it might have been cutting edge but looks just as bad as the original. Rob Zombie music in the cut-scenes sounds like a good get for Kalisto entertainment. Are you going to LP that as well?

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do about the sequel. As of right now, I don't own and have never played it, and all I know about it is the Rob Zombie thing. It's on my radar, but no specific plans yet.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
I rented this game for the Playstation and replayed the first level over and over again for the atmosphere (also the game was kind of hard). I also remember loving the commercial, to the point of dissecting and analyzing it with my friend using our grade-school vocabulary, but I don't remember any detail of the commercial.

So far, this game looks like a product of its time for its time: acceptable then, for whatever reasons, but horrible now, for obvious reasons.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Highway posted:

I rented this game for the Playstation and replayed the first level over and over again for the atmosphere (also the game was kind of hard). I also remember loving the commercial, to the point of dissecting and analyzing it with my friend using our grade-school vocabulary, but I don't remember any detail of the commercial.

So far, this game looks like a product of its time for its time: acceptable then, for whatever reasons, but horrible now, for obvious reasons.

I remember playing this game with a friend and getting as far as the first boss before hitting the point of, "Your game, you beat this piece of poo poo."

Back then it was probably acceptable because the street brawler/hack and slash genre pretty much liquid poo poo the bed, and this game was just a rank dutch oven in comparison.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Mr. Highway posted:

This game has a good first level to suck you in. All my friends who played it said either the bosses sucked or the fighting feels like a chore to which are both correct. It has character that makes up for a few flaws but not all of them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So basically you're a shark? You have to keep killing things or you die?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update
05 - Highgate Cemetery

https://elmobo.bandcamp.com/album/nightmare-creatures-original-game-soundtrack

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 7, 2017

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

This level is good and what I remember best about the game :hellyeah:

Kalisto releasing this level and the first as demos shows that they knew their creation was uneven and how to take advantage of it. Sly bastards.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Is it okay if I ask to see the password system shown off in either the video or a screenshot? I think this might be the game from my childhood that wound up inspiring my tastes for horror stories taking place in bleak voids, but I only really remember the password input system the clearest.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
We'll be seeing passwords when I get around to showing off the cheats, and I've figured out how to use passwords to minimize the damage the next time a recording gets corrupted (which is inevitable, don't record the N64 if you can help it), but I uploaded the footage of the password screen I already had recorded for ya here

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, early 3D feels like it had a lot of dudes jumpin' through windows.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I actually played the sequel and remember it being not completely awful, probably some rosey nostalgia I'm sure.
OH poo poo yeah look at this poo poo right here.
So loving spooky

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 15, 2017

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Dreadwroth posted:

I actually played the sequel and remember it being not completely awful, probably some rosey nostalgia I'm sure.
OH poo poo yeah look at this poo poo right here.
So loving spooky

I owe Rob Zombie for his cheap licensing fees making so many improbable PS1 sequels possible. Nightmare Creatures 2 does look pretty cool from what little I've seen, and it apparently drops the false premise of being horror and admits it's an action game. I'm definitely gonna pick it up at some point whether or not I decide to LP it

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I've made it through all of the episodes now, and thoroughly enjoyed them. Also this is very late, but I want to thank you for showing off the password screen. Unless the directional input icons vary between the playstation and N64 versions, I don't think it was the game I remember. I'm still grateful regardless though. :unsmith:

In return, I come bearing some news. There seems to be remake of this game planned, and it seems quite... well, see for yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suzAp7PAnRw

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

EagerSleeper posted:

There seems to be remake of this game planned, and it seems quite... well, see for yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suzAp7PAnRw

They're saying that's a revival, the third game in the series that everyone's always wanted. Usually a trailer that doesn't show any gameplay looks too good to be true, good on them for showing us nothing and still making it look terrible. The team working on this is best known for Spooky's Jumpscare Mansion and an unreleased game about the band Psychostick, so I've got high hopes.

Sorry for the insanely long delays in updates everyone. I've got more videos recorded, I've just been... busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Fiendly posted:

Sorry for the insanely long delays in updates everyone. I've got more videos recorded, I've just been... busy.

:ohdear: Please be okay, Fiendly.

• Locked thread