Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

enojy posted:

Just bought this Anker USB hub on Amazon and it doesn't charge my Pro controller using the controller's included cable. Recognizes the Switch just fine, though (as well as everything else I've plugged into it, in both ports.) Anyone else run into this with the Pro controller?

I've found none of my higher amp chargers work for the pro controller, no idea why. I just use one of the many single port chargers I have lying around from old phones and they work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I wouldn't rank this game above 3D World for me (or a several other Marios) just because I much prefer the point A to point B linear platforming Mario than the open world of this, 64 or Sunshine. But this game is still crazy fun. It's very satisfying doing... THINGS and getting moons. It rewards exploration and going "huh I wonder if there's a moon here... THERE IS". It also lets you do things in out of wack orders. I was in the snow kingdom and went through a painting back to the lake kingdom. Turns out, I never actually finished the lake kingdom's story with the rabbit dudes. I just left after getting enough moons I guess! It's cool you can do that kind of thing.

I got moon that required me to put on the snorkel and inner tube though and uhh no thank you to the snorkel. Cappy's eyes cover Mario's real eyes and EW

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Argue posted:

I love BOTW and it's easily still GOTY for me but I get the sense that like Mario 64, it's going to be one of those games that won't age well as Nintendo (and others) refines the gameplay concept down to the things that work, and more people become aware of the problems the original has. I'm pretty excited for the hypothetical Zelda game 10 years from now which will be to BOTW what Mario Odyssey is to Mario 64.

no, wait

This is the weirdest post.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

no, wait

This is the weirdest post.

I don't really see what is that weird about it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I really want soup now (guess which kingdom I'm in)

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
How do you do that move from the trailers where you throw the hat and can jump on it and use it as a platform?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Keep holding Y.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

This is the weirdest post

What? Charging the joycons is a pain if you play docked most of the time. It would have been nice if Nintendo included the charging grip rather than offer that as a separate accessory.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

roffels posted:

What? Charging the joycons is a pain if you play docked most of the time. It would have been nice if Nintendo included the charging grip rather than offer that as a separate accessory.

They have a really long battery life

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

roffels posted:

Wha? Just attach them to the console when you're done playing??

???

edit: Also I haven't attached my joycons back to the console in DAYS and I've played plenty of this game docked. The battery meter in the controller settings is still full for both

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Real Sophie’s choice here deciding between botw and smo as GOTY. Here’s the thing though, friends: you don’t have to choose, they can both be GOTYIYH (game of the year in your heart).

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Macaluso posted:

Wha? Just attach them to the console when you're done playing??

???

edit: Also I haven't attached my joycons back to the console in DAYS and I've played plenty of this game docked. The battery meter in the controller settings is still full for both

Why would I want to do that?

I got about 3 or 4 days of play out of the joycons before needing a charge.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The various controllers all have fantastic battery life but it's even nicer to not have to worry about it at all.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

mandatory lesbian posted:

i agree but also dont, kinda? like they're completely different genres and have different goals, but i can absolutely say i had more fun with SMO then BOTW.

theyre both good games tho

It's not that comparisons are necessarily bad, I think; it's that comparisons feel compulsory the way people bring them up quickly and definitively. SMO hasn't even been out for a week and yet we're already neck deep in a detailed discussion about how it compares to Botw for goty. It comes across as people needing to have some comparison to latch onto, which while sometimes necessary it is not always ideal.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Macaluso posted:

I wouldn't rank this game above 3D World for me (or a several other Marios) just because I much prefer the point A to point B linear platforming Mario than the open world of this, 64 or Sunshine.
I feel like you get the best of both worlds though, since there are plenty of linear platforming challenges to get moons, along with the open world format.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Real Sophie’s choice here deciding between botw and smo as GOTY. Here’s the thing though, friends: you don’t have to choose, they can both be GOTYIYH (game of the year in your heart).
If you go by Nintendo's financial year, they can both be GOTY for separate years. :eng101:

e: GOTNFY

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Does anyone know if you can repeat events in this game like the festival in New Donk or fighting Bowser? I'm right before the moon palace and I really wanna go in but also I don't want my son to miss it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

You can repeat the New Donk Festival by talking to a dude in the City Hall I think.

No idea if you can re-fight Bowser though, I haven't gone back to the final main story Kingdom.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Does anyone know if you can repeat events in this game like the festival in New Donk or fighting Bowser? I'm right before the moon palace and I really wanna go in but also I don't want my son to miss it.

Yeah, you can repeat both of those sequences whenever you want.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

roffels posted:

You have to keep the charging grip plugged in anyway to charge joycons. It doesn't have its own battery.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The only real reason you would want a charging grip is if you have another set of joycons.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
If you want to refight the final boss you go into the wedding hall and there's a painting you can jump into

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Andrast posted:

I don't really see what is that weird about it

Try saying "I'm pretty excited for the hypothetical Zelda game 10 years from now which will be to BOTW what Mario Odyssey is to Mario 64" in front of a mirror without punching yourself in the face repeatedly

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is that the way it works for other refights? I've noticed blank paintings here and there

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
if you want to refight the other bosses, there's warp paintings in the mushroom kingdom.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mario is better.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What is kind of crazy to me is this adventure somehow feels more epic than going and exploring the vast reaches of outer space in Mario Galaxy. The world just feels so amazing and Mario's expressiveness sells it so well. He's like a kid seeing Disneyworld for the first time.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Try saying "I'm pretty excited for the hypothetical Zelda game 10 years from now which will be to BOTW what Mario Odyssey is to Mario 64" in front of a mirror without punching yourself in the face repeatedly

I thought the weirdest part was the implication that Mario 64 hasn't aged well. It's still worth playing to this day, I'd say it's aging better than most games

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Zelder posted:

I thought the weirdest part was the implication that Mario 64 hasn't aged well. It's still worth playing to this day, I'd say it's aging better than most games

Definitely better than most early "3d" games

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you slapped high def textures on it and it had never been released you could drop it as a $40 indie darling. People would be like "This is what Bubsy could have been"

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I want my Link & Mario crossover game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Man if one of the levels in Super Mario Odyssey was just the fuckin great plateau that would be amazing.

Beedle working the crazy cap store. Gotta capture a giant rock dude to fight a Lynel.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Man if one of the levels in Super Mario Odyssey was just the fuckin great plateau that would be amazing.

Beedle working the crazy cap store. Gotta capture a giant rock dude to fight a Lynel.

I agree zelda could be much better

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zelder posted:

I think a good sign of this is the fact that Mario in Odyssey (20 years later) retains most of his movement and controls straight out of 64. Camera jankiness and N64 controller quality aside, it's crazy how well Mario 64 nailed 3D platformer movement on the first try.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Zelder posted:

I mean I still enjoy it cause I have nostalgia for it but Mario 64 hasn't aged well

irlZaphod posted:

I feel like you get the best of both worlds though, since there are plenty of linear platforming challenges to get moons, along with the open world format.

Eh I'd rather have the best of just the platforming challenges. Champion's Road for instance is one of the best platforming things I've ever played in a video game. That's why I'm always hoping for another Donkey Kong Country Returns cause both of those games were stellar platformers

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

My biggest gripe with BotW is the severe lack of music. Riding your horse through Hyrule Field SHOULD be accompanied by the sweeping Overworld theme and it's weird that it doesn't.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

bilperkins2 posted:

My biggest gripe with BotW is the severe lack of music. Riding your horse through Hyrule Field SHOULD be accompanied by the sweeping Overworld theme and it's weird that it doesn't.
I love the game’s careful and subtle take on the Zelda music.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

bilperkins2 posted:

This. It's very annoying when games don't have much music. It was especially evident in BOTW when you get to the castle and that incredible music kicks in and gets better the farther in you make it. Why couldn't we have been enjoying some excellent music this entire time while wondering around the world?

The only game lacking music that I don't notice it is Dark Souls. When I think about it I get annoyed because the music that does exist in those games is good. Why not always have good music going?

Speaking of music I've been jamming to various Mario soundtracks this week while I try to convince myself I should finish Witcher 3 and wait for a holiday sale on the Switch before buying one. Good video game music is one of the biggest driving factors of what games I play!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I forget if it was in this thread or the Mario thread but someone told me to jump on the globe that's on the front of the Odyssey and holy poo poo you guys this game is incredible.

bilperkins2 posted:

This would have owned but also I really appreciate the subtle, restrained approach.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I like BOTW's music just fine but the battle music is terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
selective music means each piece when it does play has a bit more gravitas, and i think botw pulled it off splendidly

• Locked thread