Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

VulgarandStupid posted:

Just got an instant pot. I’m a big meat eater and like to sous vide things as well, any recommendations for relatively easy stuff to make?

https://skillet.lifehacker.com/the-first-seven-things-your-should-make-with-a-new-inst-1790730616
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/04/pressure-cooker-thai-green-chicken-curry.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I went with the goon recommendation and got a 8-quart Instant Pot. Gonna make me some rad chicken soup this weekend.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any pork shoulder recipes for the Instant Pot that are not carnitas? Carnitas are great and everything, but sometimes I just want a good braised hunk of meat. I've got about a pound of cubed pork shoulder in the freezer that I want to use up and no ideas.

Also, how viable is it to put frozen meat directly into the pressure cooker? Setting aside the worries of searing and all that for now. Will it cook fully?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Also, how viable is it to put frozen meat directly into the pressure cooker? Setting aside the worries of searing and all that for now. Will it cook fully?

Add an extra minute or two per pound. I've done it with chicken and ground beef and it's fine.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I think regarding frozen stuff, it takes longer to get up to pressure and does a fair bit of thawing in that time. From my very unscientific observations.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Pollyanna posted:

Any pork shoulder recipes for the Instant Pot that are not carnitas? Carnitas are great and everything, but sometimes I just want a good braised hunk of meat. I've got about a pound of cubed pork shoulder in the freezer that I want to use up and no ideas.

Filipino Pork Adobo!
https://recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/filipino-pressure-cooker-chicken-adobo/

I don't follow this recipe (or any really) since there are a million variations and they're all super simple but it's got the basics for you. I use rice vinegar + soy sauce as the liquid base and then throw in some onion, garlic, black pepper, and bay leaves. The process is almost identical to carnitas and works equally well for both chicken and pork so give it a try some time.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 30, 2017

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Ohhh poo poo

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/27/crock-pot-debuts-multi-cooker-pressure-cooker-that-rivals-instant-pot.html

quote:

Crock-Pot is getting in on the Instant Pot craze.

Lauded for its ease and speed, the countertop pressure cooker Instant Pot gained a loyal following on social media. Now, Newell Brands' Crock-Pot is entering the multi-cooker space with the debut of Crock-Pot Express Crock Multi-Cooker.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
They should rethink the name. Maybe just call it Cecil.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

wormil posted:

They should rethink the name. Maybe just call it Cecil.

Idk, CPECMC rolls off the tongue pretty nicely.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gonna try a total bullshit recipe for pressure cooked beef shank tonight cause I'm hungry dammit:

Ingredients:

- 1 beef shank (fairly large)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 cup broth, beef or otherwise
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper

Steps:

- Sear a cut of beef shank
- Chop some garlic and onion, sautee in instant pot until golden brown and caramelizing
- Deglaze with 1/4 cup red wine, sautee until alcohol is cooked off
- Add a splash (~2 tbsp?) of soy sauce, mix, sautee for 30 seconds
- Add 1 cup of broth and beef shank
- Cover and cook on high pressure for 40~50 minutes
- Quick release, reduce sauce until nice and thickened
- Season with salt and pepper, serve

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I made pork adobo in my instant pot last night and it was easily one of the best things I've made with it so far. Holy poo poo.

Started with this recipe and subbed 2 lbs of boneless pork spareribs/country ribs for the chicken. I used the meat/stew setting (note: don't use the suggested 9 minutes from the recipe if you are using pork) and once it was done I removed the meat and added about 1/4 cup of coconut milk and the suggested amount of corn starch and then blended the sauce with my immersion blender before adding the meat back in.

Only other thing I would change is that it was almost barely too salty, so if you use the recommended soy sauces and vinegar (which I did), maybe add like 1/8 cup less soy sauce and 1/8 cup more vinegar.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pollyanna posted:

Gonna try a total bullshit recipe for pressure cooked beef shank tonight cause I'm hungry dammit:

Ingredients:

- 1 beef shank (fairly large)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 cup broth, beef or otherwise
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper

Steps:

- Sear a cut of beef shank
- Chop some garlic and onion, sautee in instant pot until golden brown and caramelizing
- Deglaze with 1/4 cup red wine, sautee until alcohol is cooked off
- Add a splash (~2 tbsp?) of soy sauce, mix, sautee for 30 seconds
- Add 1 cup of broth and beef shank
- Cover and cook on high pressure for 40~50 minutes
- Quick release, reduce sauce until nice and thickened
- Season with salt and pepper, serve

Eating this now. The sauce is delicious, but man is it heavy. It came out quite strong even though it looked thin and lovely in the pot. I can't tell whether it's the soy sauce, red wine, or caramelized onion that gives it this particular taste. I'm gonna guess the onions, though.

IMO, the best thing to do would be to return the shank to the sauce once it's reduced, and cover it in the sauce. What I did was just put the shank over some rice and pour the sauce on it, and it looks gross as gently caress. That's kinda the dish in a nutshell - delicious, but really fuckin' ugly. I suspect there's a lot of fat content in this as well. I'm halfway through this and I'm already feeling full.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go have a heart attack.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

The recipe looks pretty good, but you always want to defat a sauce like that before you reduce it. A beef shank is going to have plenty of fat, and without removing the fat, that sauce has to be super greasy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zombie Dachshund posted:

The recipe looks pretty good, but you always want to defat a sauce like that before you reduce it. A beef shank is going to have plenty of fat, and without removing the fat, that sauce has to be super greasy.

That'd be it, then. :v: I assume that's the thing where you skim off fat at the top of the sauce with a spoon or something? I should have done that, I'll do it next time.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can do that or you can use a defatter, but definitely the laziest and most thorough way to do it is to stick it in the fridge overnight and lift off the fat layer the next day.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone here made pork belly in a pressure cooker?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

wormil posted:

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

wormil posted:

I experimented with this last week, it was pretty glorious and I will do it again.

Salt/Pepper and brown well on both sides, and a little on the long edges
In the fat sweat half an onion, use onion juices to deglaze
Stir in 2 cloves minced garlic, 1tsp minced ginger, 1/8tsp red pepper flakes, wait until fragrant
Pork belly back in
3/4 cup water, 1/4 cup soy in
Bring to high pressure, maintain for 35 minutes, natural release

It didn't last long enough for me to do anything saucy with the juices.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
What was the skin and fat like? Texture wise

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

I had the butcher remove the skin; a lot of the fat rendered out, what was left was like the tasty fat on a well cooked pork-chop - except a few globs that were easily excised while slicing.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So that's key I feel to pressure cooking pork belly. There cannot be skin on it otherwise it's gonna be gross texture. If the belly I had still had skin, it would be a slow braise in the oven followed by high heat to crisp it up.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I don't know. I slow braised a pork belly last night and wasn't entirely happy with the texture. I scored and seared but all the steam from the braising liquid basically did the same thing as a pressure cooker so next time I might go for the pressure cooker and crisp it again when done. Kinda like this recipe. Everything I've tried from this blog is excellent.

https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-pork-belly-beer-braise/

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Oh man I don't know why yours didn't turn out well. I loosely follow Gordon Ramsay's recipe and that poo poo was amazing.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The problem with pork belly is that there's way too many good ways to cook it so I get choice paralysis

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Ranter posted:

Oh man I don't know why yours didn't turn out well. I loosely follow Gordon Ramsay's recipe and that poo poo was amazing.

That's the recipe I followed, the instructions, I made a few substitutions on the aromatics. This was my first time making pork belly so I might have made mistakes but I followed Ramsay's instructions and measurements closely. Everyone liked it but but the fat didn't render as much as I would have liked and all the moisture kept the fat gooey. I used 3 cups of stock and it all evaporated, I kept needing to add more. The top of the cap was crispy. If I were to do it over, instead of searing the cap in a few minutes, I would turn the heat down and keep it in the skillet longer to render more fat, then drain it off. After that, I don't think it makes a difference whether it's slow braised or pressure cooked as long as the cap is crisped again at the end.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Consider using your ovens Broil feature (if it has it, direct heat only from the top element) to crisp up pork crackling too. It's way better than cranking the entire oven, more direct.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Haven't gotten one (yet), but wanted to pop in and say a group in my lab uses an Instant Pot for immunohistochemistry, I just saw it on a bench right next to my office :toot:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Today's recipe was onions, carrots, red lentils, and pork with a bunch of leftover curry spices and beef stock. It was...meh. The pork was great, everything else was just unsatisfying. :shrug:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I re-made the beef shank stew and skimmed off most of the fat this time, came out much nicer. I’m wondering if beef shank is really the best option for stew meat though. Given that I can find about a pound of it + a little marrow bone for 3~4 bucks I would suspect it’s a good choice, but is there anything I’m missing?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Johnny Truant posted:

Haven't gotten one (yet), but wanted to pop in and say a group in my lab uses an Instant Pot for immunohistochemistry, I just saw it on a bench right next to my office :toot:

I figure if you need a cheap, reliable way to keep temps without needing to be hyper-exact, you cant beat an instant pot. I'm actually wondering if you could turn one into a still....

edit: Even better, I've just found out that with the instant pot, we find ourselves with a spare old pressure cooker!
NileRed is my fav science boi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2DfCr2Qsx0

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 10, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The Indian Instant Pot recipe book discussed awhile back is on sale.

Indian Instant Pot® Cookbook: Traditional Indian Dishes Made Easy and Fast https://www.amazon.com/dp/1939754542/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_tM5eAbBJ1KYDD

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I cant decide whether the nonslip base on these mixing bowls that I've had for years will hold up inside my pressure cooker? https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Mixing-Bowls-Black/dp/B0098OJN2K/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Doesnt mention oven temps, but are dishwasher safe. Says it's silicone in the description, but no idea on the glue holding it together either.

Whats the worst that could happen?...

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

MeKeV posted:

I cant decide whether the nonslip base on these mixing bowls that I've had for years will hold up inside my pressure cooker? https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Mixing-Bowls-Black/dp/B0098OJN2K/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Doesnt mention oven temps, but are dishwasher safe. Says it's silicone in the description, but no idea on the glue holding it together either.

Whats the worst that could happen?...

Run a test with no actual food in there. Put the bowl in with some water and then pressure cook it for an hour and see what happens.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

wormil posted:

The Indian Instant Pot recipe book discussed awhile back is on sale.

Indian Instant Pot® Cookbook: Traditional Indian Dishes Made Easy and Fast https://www.amazon.com/dp/1939754542/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_tM5eAbBJ1KYDD

thanks, picked up a Kindle copy. I'm excited to try some biryani in the ip.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If I got that cookbook how would I have to adjust the time for a stovetop cooker that reaches 15psi? Is there some sort of calculation I can plug in, or should I just wing it?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

If I got that cookbook how would I have to adjust the time for a stovetop cooker that reaches 15psi? Is there some sort of calculation I can plug in, or should I just wing it?

I came to post the same thing. I think the Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker I have doesn’t go as high as the instant pot but it’s big enough for two whole turkey carcasses so I must be a pressure cooker size queen.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Just chiming in to say that I loving love my Instant Pot for the ability to just toss whatever the hell leftover vegetables I have into it with some broth or water + soup mix and end up with a goddamn great soup.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Guess I should have done the test run they suggested, because something is hosed with my new Duo (or more likely me). The float valve never comes up even though it starts the countdown. Trying to make http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/colombian-chicken-stew-with-potatoes-tomato-onion-recipe.html Seems to be warming fine, but never locks. The valve isn’t stuck or anything - if I remove the top and press it back down the valve comes up but won’t let me rotate it since the lock is out. Am I just not sealing it right? gently caress.

Edit: Ok seems like I got it sealed and float valve just popped up. Dinner late but not ruined.

The Bunk fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 28, 2017

bengy81
May 8, 2010

The Bunk posted:

Guess I should have done the test run they suggested, because something is hosed with my new Duo (or more likely me). The float valve never comes up even though it starts the countdown. Trying to make http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/colombian-chicken-stew-with-potatoes-tomato-onion-recipe.html. Seems to be warming fine, but never locks. The valve isn’t stuck or anything - if I remove the top and press it back down the valve comes up but won’t let me rotate it since the lock is out. Am I just not sealing it right? gently caress.

Edit: Ok seems like I got it sealed and float valve just popped up. Dinner late but not ruined.

The link is broken, but if you sauté in your instant pot make sure there isn’t anything scorched and stuck to the bottom of the pot, it can make it act funny coming up to temperature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

bengy81 posted:

The link is broken, but if you sauté in your instant pot make sure there isn’t anything scorched and stuck to the bottom of the pot, it can make it act funny coming up to temperature.

Whoops, link fixed. There was no sauteing involved (though after eating it I'll probably brown the skin next time). Wondering if it might have been that there's no liquid in the recipe, and after essentially slow-cooking for a few minutes the tomatoes released enough to pressurize the next time I tried.