Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I suspect the Zora sequence is in there because they wanted that to be the 'default' first dungeon for people who don't have a preference, as it makes a good first impression. It's really the only thing like that in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

I thought the approach to Zora's Domain was great. One of the things that's really cool about BotW is how groups of enemies set up in defensive positions around points of interest in places that would, theoretically, force people to go through them to get where they want to go. Of course, Link can climb almost anything so most of the time you can just bypass these challenges.

With Zora's Domain though, you have to actually battle your way to your destination. It shakes things up by removing (or at least seeming to remove) your ability to shortcut your way past the difficulty. Plus you get some great views along the way.

I guess that makes sense. Maybe it was more the cutscenes and the rain that got on my nerves. Maybe if they would have covered the walls in ice instead of making it rain the whole time.

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 1, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mister Facetious posted:

Jumping in Castlevania 1-3 is so loving bad in comparison that it's night and day.

You just have to accept that you're committed to the jump in those games.

Also that the teams who made them hate you and that's why medusa heads and bone throwing skeletons spawn immediately to knock you in to a pit. :argh:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I like how Odyssey approaches its open world better than BotW to be honest

Odyssey has non-linear levels but it is not an open world game.

roffels posted:

What? Charging the joycons is a pain if you play docked most of the time. It would have been nice if Nintendo included the charging grip rather than offer that as a separate accessory.

Unless you're literally playing for more than 24 hours at a time there is nothing painful about putting the joycons on the Switch when you're doing playing. Joycons batteries getting low after 40+ hours of playing, dock them on the Switch for a few hours when you aren't playing due to sleep/work/whatever.

Not a Children posted:

Tell me how to enjoy Ogre Battle 64

I can't get over losing units and I'm terrible at spatial awareness. Love tactics Ogre, but Ogre Battle just never clicked with me.

You don't enjoy OB64, you just suffer less with each gameplay session.

Until you finish the game and find out there's a secret meter that goes up/down based on various in game actions and good luck figuring out how it works without a guide.

Try playing March of the Black Queen on the SNES first. It's older but slightly less absurd. Still full of vague-as-hell mechanics though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

I suspect the Zora sequence is in there because they wanted that to be the 'default' first dungeon for people who don't have a preference, as it makes a good first impression. It's really the only thing like that in the game.

Zora's domain was the absolute last thing I did in that game before going to kill Ganon

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Jumping in Castlevania 1-3 is so loving bad in comparison that it's night and day.

:thunk:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Fluffy posted:

You don't enjoy OB64, you just suffer less with each gameplay session.

Until you finish the game and find out there's a secret meter that goes up/down based on various in game actions and good luck figuring out how it works without a guide.

Hell, good luck doing that with a guide.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Echophonic posted:

Hell, good luck doing that with a guide.

the best part is with high Lawful frame you get ALL the cool rebellion characters, whereas with a Chaotic frame you mainly just get your gruff badass dad, a werewolf, and a Satan Knight. Sure, the latter team sounds cooler, but you do get way more people to recruit in the former.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

PantsBandit posted:

I think this is where a large part of the divide comes in. I know a lot of people can't stand the graphics of early 3D games but I actually find them charming.

Mario 64 also had a lot of visual diversity and good level design, which helps with the look of it. Despite having flat textures, levels like Boo's Mansion or Cool, Cool Mountain still look really good to me because of how well all their pieces fit together.

I'm glad they force Nessie to wear goggles now-a-days in modern Mario titles.

Whenever she doesn't wear them and you can see into her pitch-black eyes...

Like a doll's eyes.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Mario Oddysey opened in Japan by selling 34% more copies than the next biggest, console Mario game release (Galaxy 2)

Holy poo poo

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Captain Toad's presence makes since due to his characterization in the game (an explorer out exploring), also he is one of the more recent titles released and is relevant. Nintendo just assumes that fans actually play their games and would appreciate the reference.

That said, my copy of Captain Toad is still on my shelf, unplayed. Well, I got it used, so unplayed by me at least, haha. However, playing through Odyssey has made me want to go back and finish Sunshine, play through Galaxy (hate Wii motion controls, so never got around to playing it), and connect my WiiU to my main TV and play Captain Toad since it gets no play time on the TV in my basement.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

New Zelda edition coming..

https://www.vg247.com/2017/11/01/breath-of-the-wild-explorers-edition-and-zelda-ocarina-of-time-2ds-black-friday/

quote:

A The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Explorer’s Edition will also be made available complete with a 100-page explorer’s guide and a two-sided map for $59.99. It’s worth noting the expansion pass is not included.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Raserys posted:

you: botw has no good music
me: https://youtu.be/hwyhYmGzKLU

The music caught me off guard and I had a total “oh poo poo this part rules” moment.

Seal surfing was one of the most rad things.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
You know what would really seal the deal for the Switch? Release a really excellent Mario Party game. I know you can do it Nintendo.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The dinosaur music in Mario Odyssey (also used in the trailer) is trying so hard to recapture Gusty Garden Galaxy, and like, nah, you can't do it. You can't top GGG for swelling adventurous orchestral music, forget it, go try something else.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, it's a new version of the same song.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

No it's not? It's a different piece with a completely different melody that's trying for the same structure/feel.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... seriously? I thought it was.

They are very similar.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's a lot simpler in melody, it's a C, no key changes, you can play almost the whole thing without using any sharps or flats. Went up to a piano and just banged it out very quickly. Which to me, is good, makes it very easy to remember.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bought Smodyssey today over lunch. Now I just have to hold off till Sunday to play it. I have a 4 hour plane ride and I plan to just odyssey it the whole flight.

The most difficult challenge.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I need a wario game.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

PantsBandit posted:

You know what would really seal the deal for the Switch? Release a really excellent Mario Party game. I know you can do it Nintendo.

I'm honestly not sure about that, the car mechanic has been in since 9 and doesn't appear to be going away :negative: the same developer made 9 and 10 so unless they suddenly change I'm not hopeful we'll get another Mario Party like 5 or 3.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also since this is my first new physical Switch game, I licked the cartridge. The rumors are true!

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

FireMrshlBill posted:

Captain Toad's presence makes since due to his characterization in the game (an explorer out exploring), also he is one of the more recent titles released and is relevant. Nintendo just assumes that fans actually play their games and would appreciate the reference.

That said, my copy of Captain Toad is still on my shelf, unplayed. Well, I got it used, so unplayed by me at least, haha. However, playing through Odyssey has made me want to go back and finish Sunshine, play through Galaxy (hate Wii motion controls, so never got around to playing it), and connect my WiiU to my main TV and play Captain Toad since it gets no play time on the TV in my basement.

definiteky play captain toad it’s super clever and charming

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Bought Smodyssey today over lunch. Now I just have to hold off till Sunday to play it. I have a 4 hour plane ride and I plan to just odyssey it the whole flight.

The most difficult challenge.

alternatively, you could play some now and then also on the flight

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Shovel Knight's initial run was fun but Specter Knight just fuckin cruises. It probably helps that he has a heal as well. I would have played Plague Knight instead if I knew Specter was going to be that much fun.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I couldn't find Toadsworth. :(

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I've been tempted to get a Wii U for Captain Toad among others. It gave me serious Zack and Wiki vibes which owned bones.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kaewan posted:

I've been tempted to get a Wii U for Captain Toad among others. It gave me serious Zack and Wiki vibes which owned bones.

It's a good game.

A bit short though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FE Warriors might be the game that gets me to plug my dock in, everything feels cramped and hard to keep track of on a small screen.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

nerdz posted:

I need a wario game.

I played through Mega Microgame$ again earlier this week, my gf and I love it. It's still one of my favorite games ever, I swear I still see new poo poo in it all the time, Hell, I didn't even know the Mario Paint flyswatting game in its entirety was a hidden unlockable until this week. It'd be easy to put it on a phone but I'd love a new console version, especially with the HD rumble and poo poo.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

From that article:

quote:

Bundles other than the Zelda and Mario 2DS editions include a Switch sku and a special edition of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 ready for Black Friday shopping.

Am I reading that wrong or are they saying there is going to be a Switch + XBC2 bundle for black friday?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Khisanth Magus posted:

Am I reading that wrong or are they saying there is going to be a Switch + XBC2 bundle for black friday?
Even if they're "just" saying a Switch SKU for Black Friday and also XC2... wasn't that game coming out on December 1?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

The dinosaur music in Mario Odyssey (also used in the trailer) is trying so hard to recapture Gusty Garden Galaxy, and like, nah, you can't do it. You can't top GGG for swelling adventurous orchestral music, forget it, go try something else.

If you mean the Cascade Kingdom music, it annoys me so much because the melody is so similar to Mabe Village from Link's Awakening and it keeps tripping me up :arghfist::saddowns:

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Kaewan posted:

Zack and Wiki is still one of my favorite thrift store finds. Got a jem I didn't know about for $2.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

I played through Mega Microgame$ again earlier this week, my gf and I love it. It's still one of my favorite games ever, I swear I still see new poo poo in it all the time, Hell, I didn't even know the Mario Paint flyswatting game in its entirety was a hidden unlockable until this week. It'd be easy to put it on a phone but I'd love a new console version, especially with the HD rumble and poo poo.

Yeah, the studio responsible for the wario games (and the rhythm heaven ones) is easily the most creative in Nintendo. I wonder what they are working on right now.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

nerdz posted:

Yeah, the studio responsible for the wario games (and the rhythm heaven ones) is easily the most creative in Nintendo. I wonder what they are working on right now.

Probably perfecting HD rumble farts

feel the vibrations

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
About the whole BOTW/Mario thing, for me I think they're hard to compare. Breath of the Wild offers an extremely free ability to approach the game however you like. There are some challenges in Mario Odyssey where you can accomplish the same thing in different ways but obviously Mario has a much more limited tool set, which is good and preferable for what the game is.

For me, Breath of the Wild was more about the freedom to explore the game world in whatever direction I like at my own pace- I left the plateau and ran immediately to Ganon, had a laugh at how little damage I could do with what I had, and then went off into the world and ignored objectives for about 40 hours. Once I had my fill, I beat the game and I couldn't imagine replaying it until enough time has passed that I've significantly forgotten it, enough to make the adventure feel new for me again.

Super Mario Odyssey has a focus on progression, but there is tons to do and find even after you've beaten the game. In Breath of the Wild I personally did not like the combat because I found it unrewarding and so I spent effort to avoid combat as much as I could in my exploration. SMO I like better in a gameplay sense because it's just good, fast-paced platforming used as a basis for a fun scavenger hunt. It's going to take me some time to 100% it in bits and pieces, and even when I'm done I'm sure I could play again from the beginning and have just as much fun since the basic mechanics feel so good to me.

I think one of the reasons the games have been compared is that they both are significantly more ambitious in scope than previous titles in their series. Breath of the Wild is a huge shakeup to the Zelda formula. SMO is not to the Mario formula, but it offers more to collect and see than any previous title in the series, and some reviewers compared the number of moons in the game to the number of Korok seeds in BOTW. Both games are wonderful, very different experiences and are part of a wonderful first year for the Switch.

edit: Something I realized the games do have in common for me- in both games I keep getting distracted by seeing something in a direction I wasn't intended to go, detouring to check it out, and now I've done 6 things that were not my initial goal and oh what's that over there again?

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 1, 2017

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

nerdz posted:

The development division that did all the Wario and Rhythm Heaven stuff was merged with the main (Mario, Zelda etc.) development division in September 2015 as part of then-new President Kimishima's organizational restructure, so it's kind of hard to tell...

They had a producer role on all the 3D Metroids, so I guess Samus Returns would be their latest thing, sort of.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
They're compared because they're the two mainline Nintendo games out on the new console this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

KingSlime posted:

They're compared because they're the two mainline Nintendo games out on the new console this year

They're also the first games in their respective franchises to let players have the protagonist run around in their underwear.

• Locked thread