Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I can have Link dress as a woman but not Mario? Shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GreenNight posted:

I can have Link dress as a woman but not Mario? Shame.
You get Peach's veil and wedding dress as a shop outfit in the postgame, does that count?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yes it does! I'm not that far yet.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Once you beat the final fight you unlock new hat or outfit every 20 moons up until something insane like 840, there's a lot of cosmetic options and some of them are absolutely great.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Once you beat the final fight you unlock new hat or outfit every 20 moons up until something insane like 840, there's a lot of cosmetic options and some of them are absolutely great.

My favorite so far is The Mario 64 outfit since it also makes Mario's face look like his N64 model.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Khisanth Magus posted:

Am I reading that wrong or are they saying there is going to be a Switch + XBC2 bundle for black friday?

No, but they probably understood the press release wrong. The special bundle is probably scheduled for a Holiday release, or December 1st.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

grand theft grotto posted:

My favorite so far is The Mario 64 outfit since it also makes Mario's face look like his N64 model.

It also affects the hats that he wears, albeit sometimes for the worse (party hat loses its rainfro)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

i have this playing on the music list post game 24/7. every world is becomes even better. they should use it for all the menus in the switch.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 1, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wish the pirate suit didn't give Mario an eyepatch.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
is super mario odyssey the first nintendo game to have achievements?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Mega Man 9 did, I think.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ometeotl posted:

It also affects the hats that he wears, albeit sometimes for the worse (party hat loses its rainfro)

The fro and the face paint are part of the shirt actually.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Vikar Jerome posted:

Depending on what you mean, I don't think so.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really want a Bowser game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Metroid Prime 3 did.

All their mobile games have things that if you do unlock my Nintendo coins, called Missions

Missions are pretty neat. I hope they do that for Switch games. An actual thing you get and can use for acheivements. Only problem is there's nothing to spend coins on.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
When you are talking about GOTY candidates, you have to compare games from different genres. So it is a relevant discussion to compare the two.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Vikar Jerome posted:

i have this playing on the music list post game 24/7. every world is becomes even better. they should use it for all the menus in the switch.
It's such a great song. I'm really impressed with the music in Odyssey.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Same. I wish it gave him two.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Are you kidding? That's the best part of the costume!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

FireMrshlBill posted:

When you are talking about GOTY candidates, you have to compare games from different genres. So it is a relevant discussion to compare the two.

Yeah, that's what it comes down to for me. I know these two games are going to be #1 and #2 for me this year and my stupid broken gamer brain wants me to pick a favorite.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Vikar Jerome posted:

Pokemon BW2 did, and then they never brought it back because Game Freak never keeps the fun new features I like.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
This Pro controller has like eight days left on its return policy to feel better in my hands before it gets traded in for two more JoyCons! Face buttons? More like space buttons!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Punished Mario costume is pretty good.

Also this

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah, that's what it comes down to for me. I know these two games are going to be #1 and #2 for me this year and my stupid broken gamer brain wants me to pick a favorite.

It's Mario Odyssey, my friend

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I guess that makes sense. Maybe it was more the cutscenes and the rain that got on my nerves. Maybe if they would have covered the walls in ice instead of making it rain the whole time.

I thought it was fine in concept but at least twice as long as it needed to be. I couldn't believe every time I checked the map and thought "they can't seriously keep this going all the way up to the Zora town, can they?"

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 1, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Vikar Jerome posted:

To add onto the other examples, Smash Brawl/4 and Kid Icarus Uprising had achievements too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zelder posted:

It's Mario Odyssey, my friend

It’s actually a 3 way tie.

(Mario XCOM is the true GOTY)

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

DalaranJ posted:

The fro and the face paint are part of the shirt actually.

The fro is 100% part of the hat, not the shirt

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm not sure anything will dethrone Yakuza 0 as my GOTY but Kingdom Battle, Odyssey, and Zelda are all on the top 10 for sure. The last time I had even 3 Nintendo games on that list was like....2014, when MK8, Smash, and Bayo2 came out. I also had Rusty's Real Deal on there because it owns.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Surprised no Golf Story mentions, has that been forgotten about now?

I like it, but it is no GOTY, except maybe in an idie subcategory.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I liked Everybody's Golf way more.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
My fav SMO tunes so far are the Sand Kingdom day music, normal and 8-bit versions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_O-S2KsC7w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxRuzvEROVE

For BOTW, I appreciate the sparse ambient music. I'd go nuts if I had to listen to the Zelda 1 over world music repeating over and over for hours.

Normally I hate electro/brostep WOMPWOMP poo poo, but I dug this remix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4OjuqFmPgA

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Golf Story was great, but certainly not GOTY great.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

FireMrshlBill posted:

Surprised no Golf Story mentions, has that been forgotten about now?

I like it, but it is no GOTY, except maybe in an idie subcategory.

I'm so loving bad at Golf Story lol.

I think ultimately my list will be Yakuza 0, Mario Odyssey, Zelda, Prey, Persona 5, Fire Pro World, Resident Evil 7, Mario+Rabbids, Shadow Of War, and maybe Night in the Woods. I haven't even finished Evil Within, Metroid, Dishonored 2.5, Ruiner, etc etc. It's been a ridiculously strong year so I don't think Golf Story will be on my top list but it's still a really charming and good exclusive to play on the go.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

I'm so loving bad at Golf Story lol.

I think ultimately my list will be Yakuza 0, Mario Odyssey, Zelda, Prey, Persona 5, Fire Pro World, Resident Evil 7, Mario+Rabbids, Shadow Of War, and maybe Night in the Woods. I haven't even finished Evil Within, Metroid, Dishonored 2.5, Ruiner, etc etc. It's been a ridiculously strong year so I don't think Golf Story will be on my top list but it's still a really charming and good exclusive to play on the go.

So Shadow of War is worth a play through? I liked the first game once I gave up on just spending too much time on taking out Orc captains and actually went through the story. Though it did have a bit of the Assassin's Creed type repetitiveness.

Too bad that isn't on the Switch.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
mario odyssey goat

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

FireMrshlBill posted:

So Shadow of War is worth a play through? I liked the first game once I gave up on just spending too much time on taking out Orc captains and actually went through the story. Though it did have a bit of the Assassin's Creed type repetitiveness.

Too bad that isn't on the Switch.

SoW is basically "bigger and better and now with a difficulty option" version of Mordor. You're still doing a lot of the same stuff but now there are way more orc varieties, more and bigger areas, fortress building with armies, different ways to gently caress with captains, utilizing bodyguards for yourself and other orcs, way more wacky skillset poo poo, loot, and so on. It's basically asking for a footlong double meat from Subway after getting bored with the last 6-inch veggie delite.

Here a video I did wherein I shamed a guy until his brain broke and became a gibbering mess, wherein I relieve him of his torment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV1oZzTNJt0&t=1s

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

SoW will be a sick Black Friday scoop up for $30.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

hopeandjoy posted:

Pokemon BW2 did, and then they never brought it back because Game Freak never keeps the fun new features I like.

Also had a hard mode which rebalanced all the levels of opposing trainers and made the gyms a lot tougher. They really really need to bring that back.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Mario x Rabbids was pretty good and charming but XCOM: War of the Chosen is leagues better when it comes to best game in the genre this year. It's not even a contest in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

My favorite part about this song is that it comes completely out of loving nowhere

• Locked thread