Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

someday the iphonex 2 will arrive with faceid and built in fingerprinting and that will be an actually Good phone

Don't buy that one, it's got first generation integrated touch id, which will suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

if you’re getting mugged it doesn’t really matter how you’re holding your phone

like i said, it'll be convenient for the muggers because they don't have to make you take your phone out of your pocket, they can just take it out of your hand as you wave it in front of your face trying to unlock it

apple cares about its users by enabling violence-free criminal interactions

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
the idea of having a gemstone for a screen is cool though

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Stymie posted:

like i said, it'll be convenient for the muggers because they don't have to make you take your phone out of your pocket, they can just take it out of your hand as you wave it in front of your face trying to unlock it

good thing apple got all that hardware crypto to make stolen iphones nearly worthless

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

good thing apple got all that hardware crypto to make stolen iphones nearly worthless

lol sure, when phone snatchers see an iphone they just sigh in resignation and move on

am...

am i...

being STYMIED?!?!?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

timb sign the nap plz

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

good thing they can't just point it at your face to unlock it

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

infernal machines posted:

good thing they can't just point it at your face to unlock it

nerd superman under gunpoint bravely refuses to divulge his phone passcode to the mugger, is dead

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
...so the hardware crypto doesn't make stolen phones nearly worthless.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
my point is that if youre under gunpoint anything like that is worthless, but for snatch and runs its deffo a big deterrent

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

infernal machines posted:

...so the hardware crypto doesn't make stolen phones nearly worthless.

i mean you can still kill the phone remotely via find my iphone. not impossible that the mugger would compel you to go through the convoluted process of removing the thing from your apple id but it's not exactly the kind of situation that's conducive to that

source: i have been assaulted and mugged; even in a secluded area no party really wants to stick around any longer than necessary :discourse:

i do like the mythical situation that tech bloggers have constructed where pretending to forget your phone password when faced with police inquiry or a mugger doesn't result in you getting turbofucked judicially or with a blunt instrument respectively. sometimes both eh

but yeah if someone takes your phone 99% of the time it's going to be a snatch and run or someone just picking it up off a table and walking off. in those cases it is nice to have that peace of mind that your info/accounts/payment poo poo is safe, though most petty thieves probably don't really give that much of a gently caress about it. even if you're consciously aware that the iphone is probably going to get locked down as soon as the owner gets to a computer you're still going to steal it though, in a world where iphone x screen replacements cost hundreds of pounds a 'spares or repairs' one on ebay where the seller is conveniently unaware of why it's locked down is still going to fetch a pretty penny

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 1, 2017

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
plus if you're actually going to get mugged, waving your stupid iphonx in front of your face is a real good tipoff to a potential mugger that they can also likely get an iwatch and airbuds for their trouble as a bonus, possibly an ipad to boot

basically trying to use iface is shouting to the world that you've got a pretty startling lack of common sense to go with at least $2000 worth of gadgets to steal

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

New numbers released in San Francisco reveal smartphone robberies are down 22 percent from 2015 to 2016 and from 2013, they're down 50 percent.

The law was signed three years ago and went into effect in 2015.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
mug all techies of their expensive gadgets

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
can you still defeat face ID with a photo of yourself?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
buddy, you can't even make it work with the person's actual face

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

can you still defeat face ID with a photo of yourself?

unsurprisingly, that's the first thing everyone has tried, and no. apple isn't samsung.

but you can defeat it with your triplet, so make sure you don't have one of those you're unaware of

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

what about my clone? Apple needs to be forward thinking

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
but what if I took their face.....off....

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

but what if I took their face.....off....

Joanna Stern had a face mask made by a prop company and it didn't work, so, no

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFJpq8S99bM

low rent apple store

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Joanna Stern had a face mask made by a prop company and it didn't work, so, no

the mask was floppy and put on someone elses face so it was deformed, if it was a rigid mask it might work

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Perplx posted:

the mask was floppy and put on someone elses face so it was deformed, if it was a rigid mask it might work

during apple's keynote they showed whole walls full of super realistic masks they used to try to fool it

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

what if I register my dick as my face

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
youll get a whole lot of "please hold phone close to face" when setting it up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

what if I register my dick as my face

i don't think it has a macro lens

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

on his podcast john fireball said that he didn't think it was a problem if a twin can unlock your phone, because identical twins trust each other and probably know each other's PINs anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Linguica posted:

on his podcast john fireball said that he didn't think it was a problem if a twin can unlock your phone, because identical twins trust each other and probably know each other's PINs anyway.

yeah they have twin telepathy obvs

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The Management posted:

apple wouldn’t have committed that much money if they didn’t already test prototypes and verify that it works

truly these words apply to the thing you are referencing, as well as every decision apple has ever made lmao

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

on another note, i really marvel at the level of cultural competency apple is displaying with the iphone x. they portray this flagship device as working best when used such that the key to securing the device is to show one's uncovered face. certainly all people around the world will find this to be practical, useful, and appropriate

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

during apple's keynote they showed whole walls full of super realistic masks they used to try to fool it

the icewalled garden is a bit much, but it keeps the shambling botnets at bay so

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Linguica posted:

apple made a phone for jeremy irons in dead ringers

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i wonder if the impetus to develop something as dumb as iface was born out of the idea that the kids today love to take selfies, so why not have them selfie to unlock their phone??

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it was born out of the fact that samsung and microsoft did it and touch id didn't work through the screen at all

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i also have to imagine an entirely new stream of photos to analyze and data mine was a big factor too

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The Management posted:

apple wouldn’t have committed that much money if they didn’t already test prototypes and verify that it works for them.
But enough about the new Macbook Pro keyboards,

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Linguica posted:

But enough about the new Macbook Pro keyboards,

but enough about testing the iphone 4 with left-handed users

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Stymie posted:

i also have to imagine an entirely new stream of photos to analyze and data mine was a big factor too

ya realise they don’t beam anything off the phone for faceid to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

but enough about testing the iphone 4 with left-handed users

but enough about the imac mouse