Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Outrail posted:

I'd love to see the professor/TA trying to argue that 'Both A and B are correct' is correct.

Then again I'm 'that guy' who argues with the quiz master at pub quiz nights.

I mean, I wouldnt normally but you are that guy who argues with the quiz master at pub quiz nights, making everyones night tangibly worse, so....

It says A and C. Not A and B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

None of that even matters, how can there be two "first" people?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zokari posted:

None of that even matters, how can there be two "first" people?

They could have done so independently of each other, with overlapping timelines.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

"Georg Bauer" and "Georgius Agricola" are two names for the same guy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Precambrian posted:

"Georg Bauer" and "Georgius Agricola" are two names for the same guy.

:doh:

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Yeah, someone pointed out already that the order of answers was likely randomized by the software, screwing up the quiz and turning it into something weird like:
code:
How much is 1+1? (circle only one)
A. 2.
B. A and B.
C. B and C.
D. All of the above.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Oh god, didn't we have that one posted in here already ?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Yeah, someone pointed out already that the order of answers was likely randomized by the software, screwing up the quiz and turning it into something weird like:
code:
How much is 1+1? (circle only one)
A. 2.
B. A and B.
C. B and C.
D. All of the above.

A whole online quiz with this sort of poo poo and you get a passing grade if you email the professor to complain.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
In a similar vein, this is what a literacy test black people had to pass to vote in the Jim Crow era South looked like. This particular one was 30 questions in total, this is just the first page.

The questions were deliberately vague so the examiner could fail anyone they wanted (all black people).

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Pakled posted:

In a similar vein, this is what a literacy test black people had to pass to vote in the Jim Crow era South looked like. This particular one was 30 questions in total, this is just the first page.

The questions were deliberately vague so the examiner could fail anyone they wanted (all black people).

Holy crap :aaa:. I mean, I'm not sure why I'm surprised. But drat.

Also: I'm particularly struck by the arbitrary parenthetical, "one inside (engulfed by) the other"

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Pakled posted:

quote:

Circle the first, first letter of the alphabet in this line.

wtf

This is absolutely horrible. And one wrong answer means you fail!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Count Roland posted:

wtf

This is absolutely horrible. And one wrong answer means you fail!

I think it means you need to circle the first 'a'. But can be five other things, easily.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

I think it means you need to circle the first 'a'. But can be five other things, easily.

That's sort of the point. Even one wrong answer counts as a failure, and enough questions are ambiguous that even if you think you got everything right, the person doing the grading could just decide to fail you by interpreting the question differently.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Every time those things come up a bunch of people get bamboozled trying to solve them.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

And to make matters worse there were two more pages and you only had 15 minutes to finish the test.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
As others have pointed out, right from question 1 the whole point is that there are multiple ways to answer the arbitrarily worded questions, so the examiner has complete discretion to pass or fail you. Number 1: didn't circle the 1? Sorry, you fail. Circled the 1? Sorry, you should have circled the phrase "the number or letter of this sentence". Drew a full circle? Sorry, it says "draw a line" so you shouldn't have made the two ends connect, since other questions say "circle" instead of "draw a line around". And on and on, for every question.

Oh sorry, looks like you messed up and don't get to vote. Try again in four years.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

vyelkin posted:

As others have pointed out, right from question 1 the whole point is that there are multiple ways to answer the arbitrarily worded questions, so the examiner has complete discretion to pass or fail you. Number 1: didn't circle the 1? Sorry, you fail. Circled the 1? Sorry, you should have circled the phrase "the number or letter of this sentence". Drew a full circle? Sorry, it says "draw a line" so you shouldn't have made the two ends connect, since other questions say "circle" instead of "draw a line around". And on and on, for every question.

Oh sorry, looks like you messed up and don't get to vote. Try again in four years.

But of course, the examiner gets some discretion. I can't put my finger on it, but there's something about all the people he's lenient with.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

But of course, the examiner gets some discretion. I can't put my finger on it, but there's something about all the people he's lenient with.

Something about a paper bag afaik

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They're all the good ol' boys from round the way

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think in practice most white people just didn't have to take them.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

pangstrom posted:

I think in practice most white people just didn't have to take them.

That's the origin of "grandfathering". If your granddad could vote, so can you.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I think I recall from the last time that came up that it was of unknown provenance, and possibly fake. It certainly looks dramatically less 'official' than the 1963 test, which is also considerably more straightforward in terms of right and wrong answers.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 20:02 on Oct 31, 2017

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Welcome to the real world

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Dreddout posted:

Time Cube or Church of the Subgenius?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Tag yourself, I'm either ANANKE BAD or HENRY FORD REVOLT

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
I'm "History: It is all bad, all of it, but some day in the future it could be horrendous"

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

Time Cube or Church of the Subgenius?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Laffoley

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's like a bunch of Dr. Bronner's soap bottles having an orgy.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
RPG rules are getting pretty out of hand

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
More of a diagram than a chart, but I saw this around a month ago when evacuating from Irma

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Dreddout posted:

Too complicated.

I'm going to McDonald's.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Sentient Data posted:

More of a diagram than a chart, but I saw this around a month ago when evacuating from Irma

This is like the opposite of that "tidal wave of DEBT" comic, both ideologically and stylistically.

Edit: Found it. gently caress Ramirez.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Dude really likes drawing large things and labeling them "debt."

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
What’s nice about that comic is that you can replace “debt” with any political football and reuse it again and again. “White resentment”, “China”, “Probable Tech Bubble”.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

lifg posted:

What’s nice about that comic is that you can replace “debt” with any political football and reuse it again and again. “White resentment”, “China”, “Probable Tech Bubble”.

Not really with Ramirez, he just makes other things and labels them debt.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Bors. Bors never gets old. :allears:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This is in fact a very good chart. Only mildly optimistic.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Question is, did the chart maker mean anything by having a star of David surrounded by four swastikas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Zemyla posted:

Question is, did the chart maker mean anything by having a star of David surrounded by four swastikas?

I’m sure it’s a coincidence.