Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
It's November. The month of Guy Fawkes day (or to the Yanks - the month of the movie V for Vendetta) as well as Remembrance Day when we remember those who fought and died in the World War I and II. I don't know if Americans do the whole poppy thing, but if they do you should totally get a poppy.

Being that there is a bit of a war theme going, here is a list of comic book people who served:

Jack Kirby
Joe Simon
Stan Lee
John Romita
Dick Ayers
Larry Hama
Will Eisner
Curt Swan

These men (and many more) served mostly during World War II, so when they weren't writing/drawing comics of superheroes punching Nazis, they were doing it in real life as well (well at least in Kirby's case). Anyway, this thread isn't all about war and pain and trenches and violence that man does to man, so feel free to talk about happier things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Is there a reason Bruce Wayne never served? Shouldn't he have volunteered to serve his country in WW2 or even back then was he given a pass because he was a rich dude?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is there a reason Bruce Wayne never served? Shouldn't he have volunteered to serve his country in WW2 or even back then was he given a pass because he was a rich dude?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sure, but that's Batman! I mean Bruce Wayne.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
We do poppies for vets, all the time.

But mostly November is a month about giving thanks.

Mostly being thankful we're no longer in England.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Our big war memorial day is in April, when we remember when the loving poms sent us to invade the beach in Turkey.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Sure, but that's Batman! I mean Bruce Wayne.

There was that time he was in SHIELD.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

A Strange Aeon posted:

Rich people start wars, they never fight them.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I want to say it was Liberty Files that was the Elseworld where Batman/Bruce Wayne and a bunch of heroes did spy stuff to win the war. Pretty good comic too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ferrule posted:

We do poppies for vets, all the time.

But mostly November is a month about giving thanks.

Mostly being thankful we're no longer in England.

Wow you get to do drugs for vets? Pretty cool

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

A Strange Aeon posted:

Deferments for bone spurs.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Bob Haney's Brave & the Bold had some Batman/Rock stories where it was revealed that Bruce was in special ops during the war. Like most things Haney, it was pretty bizarre.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

For anyone interested in the First World War, the best comic ever made about it is probably Charlie's War. It's mostly done by Pat Millis, who did Marshal Law and Punished 2099.

http://forbiddenplanet.blog/2014/comics-charleys-war-in-ten-volumes-a-reflection-by-james-bacon/

It's incredibly well researched. (I believe the writer got into trouble for putting in story details like how soldiers were strapped to iron wheels and horse whipped.
He had been told these details by retired Vets, but at the time they were still classified.) And has magnificent art.

But it's also deeply upsetting and shows how ugly and pointless the conflict was.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There were further instalments of Charley's War about the Russian Civil War and the Second World War (I think Charley and his son both join up and are evacuated from Dunkirk) though I don't think they were written by Mills.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Wheat Loaf posted:

There were further instalments of Charley's War about the Russian Civil War and the Second World War (I think Charley and his son both join up and are evacuated from Dunkirk) though I don't think they were written by Mills.

Yeah Mills original plan was for it to end with Charlie unemployed in the 30s. And going in to listen to Fascists talk about how the undesirables are to blame. And he's agreeing with it all.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That makes me think of the truly excellent Berlin comic. I have the first two trades, did the third ever come out?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I keep meaning to post this, speaking of comics creators who fought in WW2

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hey, I didn’t see one anywhere else so I hope I’m not stepping on any toes, but I opened up Secret Santa for this year

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I ran the last one, so I won't fight you for it. Maybe I'll actually participate this year.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I ran the last one and you participated, come on Scoob :colbert:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Retro Futurist posted:

I ran the last one and you participated, come on Scoob :colbert:

You serious? I legit forgot a year.

This would explain why I've had Elfster spam for a year though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kieron Gillen wrote a blog about "page budget" and working with artists. Interesting read about how the sausage gets made.

quote:

So, for example, what’s more work? A nine panel page of talking head or a 3 panel page of a fight scene in a crowd in the middle of a city-scape?

I dunno. Depends on the artist and their choices, and recognising which is true for every artist you work with means you can think about their workload.

Because this is where the page Budget comes in. As we’ve described above, the amount of work on any given page varies hugely. However, that’s not how people get paid in most comics. You get paid on a page rate, whether or not the page is a lot of work or nothing.
http://kierongillen.tumblr.com/post/167229680252/so-page-budgets-you-mention-them-a-lot-and-how

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Why is there a page rate system when 99% of comics are 22 pages long and use one artist?

edit: Not accounting for inkers and colourists.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Teenage Fansub posted:

Why is there a page rate system when 99% of comics are 22 pages long and use one artist?

edit: Not accounting for inkers and colourists.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=gRdfX7ut8gw

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

So here's one of the longest articles I've ever written: The 100 Best Marvel What If Moments.

It was tabled for a few months because it isn't exactly topical, but it took a lot out of me when I finished that son of a bitch.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gavok posted:

So here's one of the longest articles I've ever written: The 100 Best Marvel What If Moments.

It was tabled for a few months because it isn't exactly topical, but it took a lot out of me when I finished that son of a bitch.

What If the Punisher Killed Daredevil? (1991)

Kurt Busiek and Luke McDonnell

The summary reads more like a Garth Ennis script than Busiek--I'm assuming maybe the tone isn't as bleak as your summary makes it out to be?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

A Strange Aeon posted:

What If the Punisher Killed Daredevil? (1991)

Kurt Busiek and Luke McDonnell

The summary reads more like a Garth Ennis script than Busiek--I'm assuming maybe the tone isn't as bleak as your summary makes it out to be?

No, it's pretty bleak. The only ones who don't get killed by the end of the story are like Foggy Nelson, Cloak and Dagger.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Gavok posted:

No, it's pretty bleak. The only ones who don't get killed by the end of the story are like Foggy Nelson, Cloak and Dagger.

I vaguely recall that one, and I seem to remember it being really bleak. Beyond even the standard "What If" bleakness that often creeps in.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What if Punisher killed Daredevil is my favorite issue of What If. I vividly remember buying it because it was one of the first comics I actually bought myself with my own money as a child instead of being bought by my parents or given to me by my cousin. Straight off the rack at the grocery store.

It was also my first issue of What If and one of the first time I realized you could do crazy thing like this in comics. It's ones of the few floppies I still own.

What happens to Spidey is pretty devastating for a child who didn't really grasp the concept at first read.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What If Kraven Had Killed Spider-Man - where Kraven shot Spider-Man with a bullet instead of a tranquiliser in Kraven's Last Hunt - was a pretty mean one for how it ends. Cap, Daredevil and the Torch find an unhinged Kraven who I think is implied to have eaten Spider-Man's face, then they have to go and tell Mary Jane that her husband is dead.

(Disclaimer: Have not gotten all the way through Gavok's list yet so he may have mentioned that one.)

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
" The last time I saw a Ben so savage, he starred in Boy Meets World."

Lol

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Busiek can do bleak when he has to. Cf: The Loony Leo issue of Astro City.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Busiek can do bleak when he has to. Cf: The Loony Leo issue of Astro City.

It wasn't so much bleak as it was heartbreaking, but gently caress Busiek for last month's Astro City. Even knowing what was coming, I was sobbing like a baby.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Buzzfeed put out a piece about one of the biggest open secrets; That Eddie Berganza is a disgusting sexual assaulting creep and that DC has let him continue for years, knowing what he's done.

Not the kind of press DC wants a week before Justice League.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yeah, I remember when Bleeding Cool published that story. Didn't DC rap his wrist and send him to "don't be a creep" training or something?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

RevKrule posted:

Buzzfeed put out a piece about one of the biggest open secrets; That Eddie Berganza is a disgusting sexual assaulting creep and that DC has let him continue for years, knowing what he's done.

Not the kind of press DC wants a week before Justice League.

Timing isn't great for Bendis either.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Timing isn't great for Bendis either.

If Bendis' first issue of Superman (or whatever) is also the first issue without Berganza's name on the masthead, that'd be a double win for DC.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, I remember when Bleeding Cool published that story. Didn't DC rap his wrist and send him to "don't be a creep" training or something?

They said he couldn't go to conferences anymore. After sexual assault of a fellow employee his only repercussion from his employer was to not be able to attend conferences for a few years (he's back doing them now).

It's just super loving gross and really sours me on DC as a whole.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RevKrule posted:

They said he couldn't go to conferences anymore. After sexual assault of a fellow employee his only repercussion from his employer was to not be able to attend conferences for a few years (he's back doing them now).

It's just super loving gross and really sours me on DC as a whole.

He also lost his executive editor job. Allegedly he was in line to take over if/when Didio left. If that happened we'd never get rid of him. Hopefully this spotlight will get someone at WB to say "gently caress this dude" and he gets fired.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Hopefully this spotlight will get someone at WB to say "gently caress this dude" and he gets fired.

I imagine he entered an agreement with WB to keep working as long as he did their sensitivity training and laid off on groping people. If there hasn't been any further incident, or anything they didn't know in 2012, I'm not sure they could do a lot.

He could quit :shrug:

I'm sure papa XO doesn't want this topic in this thread, anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

On one hand we do have a thread for this very kind of topic. On the other hand gently caress Eddie Berganza and the people still employing him. I feel that's a sentiment that's not really out of place anywhere.

• Locked thread