Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Are there any "must have" eShop titles $15 and under?

I already have Neo Turf Masters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I got my Switch the other day, and I'm having a sound issue when I've got my Switch in the dock and connected to my TV. There's an intermittent audio stutter when playing Mario (I don't have any other games to test); this is even noticeable on the main screen, a subtle thng noise every 3-4 seconds. I've tried some googling and I can't seem to get an answer (everyone seems to be using third-party stuff, I'm just using the bundled dock/HMDI/etc).

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm going to do the tape thing to the Pro d-pad this weekend. I will report back to the mother brain

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ohtsam posted:

Going up a tier to increase storage is generally an extra $100 per tier in phone land.

It's $45/128gb if you shop at Amazon. :getin:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i have a 40-60 minute commute to and from work that melts away to nothing with mario odyssey

god bless the switch, this thing kicks rear end

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

A shame phone sd slots keep getting rarer.

Nvm that trend seems to have somewhat reversed itself.
Getting a phone with higher built-in storage still costs way too much compared to sd cards though

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 2, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I am weak of will, I went and bought Golf Story and got through the boss of the flower zone in Odyssey while it downloaded

Golf Story is very charming :3:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Got to say that the level in odyssey where you run on the water on fire can gently caress right off with its controls that randomly switch from sensitive to not sensitive with no warning.

E: although getting the second moon was a loving awesome feeling of accomplishment.

iajanus fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 2, 2017

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

MisterBibs posted:

I got my Switch the other day, and I'm having a sound issue when I've got my Switch in the dock and connected to my TV. There's an intermittent audio stutter when playing Mario (I don't have any other games to test); this is even noticeable on the main screen, a subtle thng noise every 3-4 seconds. I've tried some googling and I can't seem to get an answer (everyone seems to be using third-party stuff, I'm just using the bundled dock/HMDI/etc).

Is your power cable pushed in the whole way. USB C feels like it needs to click into place rather than the older style that kinda just slide in.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Puddin posted:

Is your power cable pushed in the whole way. USB C feels like it needs to click into place rather than the older style that kinda just slide in.

Nah, everything is snug and secure; I'm reasonably sure it's just because my TV is an older hand-me-down.

e: Is the Switch itself supposed to be so floaty in the dock? Like, it's working, but it doesn't feel like it's locking into the doc.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 2, 2017

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MisterBibs posted:

Nah, everything is snug and secure; I'm reasonably sure it's just because my TV is an older hand-me-down.

e: Is the Switch itself supposed to be so floaty in the dock? Like, it's working, but it doesn't feel like it's locking into the doc.

Yes, it floats. It uses a no-snap-mechanism USB-C connection and a spring-loaded guiding plate to ensure a connection that doesn't snap or something.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/925729473927905280

Well I think that was expected at this point from them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

EA still mad over stuff that happened 25 years ago

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
maybe they just cant justify porting games to a system that only accounts for 1% of their sales?

Black King Conga
Mar 30, 2011
So for goons who have fire emblem warriors, is it worth the full price of admission?

Haven't played a musou game in a long time but the videos sort of interested me.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

HyperPuma posted:

maybe they just cant justify porting games to a system that only accounts for 1% of their sales?

It's also more likely because EA can't microtransaction and lootbox the gently caress out of their games on Switch as easily as they can on Microsoft and Sony consoles. I take anything EA says with a huge landfill of salt these days.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
im not sure what makes you say that, because the switch version of fifa has all the same loot box and microtransaction mechanics as the other versions

or are switch owners just a more noble breed who are above such things

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

HyperPuma posted:

That was specifically the UK, and that represented everything they shipped

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Black King Conga posted:

So for goons who have fire emblem warriors, is it worth the full price of admission?

Haven't played a musou game in a long time but the videos sort of interested me.

It scratches the itch for a simple beat 'em up game with some added unit moving capabilities. I haven't gotten into it too deep, but so far it feels and plays like your usual musou, just with Fire Emblem stuff.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I have over 20 hours put into FEW, and I am not done with Story Mode yet, nor have I jumped that far into its other History Mode. Hyrule Warriors had tons of content in the form of adventure maps, and I imagine that FEW will follow suit with its offerings. There's a lot to do, and if you like Warriors games, you'll like this. In fact, because of it, I'm now playing actual Fire Emblem games, because prior to playing FEW, I didn't really have much of an investment in them.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

My right JoyCon was acting up a little last night, the B button just stopped working here and there. We were playing Mario Odyssey and died a couple times to it but just assumed we'd jumped too late, until fifteen minutes later when it missed several jump inputs in a row while we were just dicking around on solid ground. Also felt like it was jumping a quarter-second late once in a while. Really sporadic, though, and it doesn't sound like the disconnecting JoyCon issue. I re-synced the JoyCons, but I only had another fifteen or twenty minutes to fool around with it after the resync so I don't know if I really solved anything.

Is this something I should be concerned about? I am always paranoid about hardware failure on big expensive purchases, and if I have to do it, I want to get it RMA'd as soon as possible.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I had that problem too, and I believe someone else in the SMO thread (or this one) expressed the same frustration. Oddly enough, it seems to be specific to Mario Odyssey (for me at least), and just for a select few of us. I've not had this problem with other games.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Were you able to do anything about it, or did you bother doing an RMA on the JoyCon for it?

If anyone has any experience doing a warranty repair, I'd be interested to know how fast they turn em around, too, or if they'll just ship me a new JoyCon and let me box up the old one after I get it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Takoluka posted:

I have over 20 hours put into FEW, and I am not done with Story Mode yet, nor have I jumped that far into its other History Mode. Hyrule Warriors had tons of content in the form of adventure maps, and I imagine that FEW will follow suit with its offerings. There's a lot to do, and if you like Warriors games, you'll like this. In fact, because of it, I'm now playing actual Fire Emblem games, because prior to playing FEW, I didn't really have much of an investment in them.
I do wish that they had offered a more even distribution of sword/spear/axe and mounted/on-foot, but it's very enjoyable in a SLASH-SLASH-SLASH-BOOM (and repeat) killing-thousands-of-dudes way. The addition of being able to switch to different characters on the field and the AI not being completely stupid if you order them to take over forts is great. It's also pretty much needed considering the game overloads you with urgent tasks during a map.

I've also only played about a third of one FE game (Awakening) and I still enjoy unlocking new characters and leveling them up.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
There is no Xenoblade Switch bundle. If you actually read the press release they put out yesterday, they were talking about the Mario Switch bundle.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

JazzFlight posted:

I do wish that they had offered a more even distribution of sword/spear/axe and mounted/on-foot, but it's very enjoyable in a SLASH-SLASH-SLASH-BOOM (and repeat) killing-thousands-of-dudes way. The addition of being able to switch to different characters on the field and the AI not being completely stupid if you order them to take over forts is great. It's also pretty much needed considering the game overloads you with urgent tasks during a map.

I've also only played about a third of one FE game (Awakening) and I still enjoy unlocking new characters and leveling them up.

I'm okay with the distribution to some degree. Despite all having the same swords, characters like Lucina, Chrom, and Marth all feel pretty different, and other sword users like Corrin and Ryoma are completely different in how they fight.. If anything, the one group that really suffers and has an actual problem is the Pegasus users; Cordelia, Caeda, and Hinoka feel very interchangeable. Fortunately, I like all of them as characters, so it doesn't bother me much.

Contrast this with Hyrule Warriors, where, despite different weapons and movesets, unique characters like Darunia, Medli, Tetra, and, I dunno, Toon Zelda we're just dreadful to use. It didn't help that the element system was underexplained, but overall, the collection of characters was diverse yet only had a handful of actually fun characters.

I'd rather have ten Falchion wielder clones than one Fi.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't Lucina and Chrom have the exact same moveset with different supers? It's been a while since I've picked up FEW, blame Odyssey.

Also the pegasi just feel dreadful to use, which is a shame because there are 3 of them with identical movesets, and they're the only way to get a lancer on your team. Everyone else feels fantastic to play as, though

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The Pegasus Knights are fun to play but suffer from being two-shot whenever an archer so much as looks in their general direction.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just keeping to the lore

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I'm not a fan of either of the aerial movesets, I constantly feel like every move leaves me open to getting interrupted

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
It's sad to think that a lot of people will burn through the mainline game of Mario Odyssey with minimal moons, beat Bowser and go "well, that was that game".

Imagined posted:

There are currently 14 smartphones on the market that come with 256GB of storage, and a loving poo poo ton that come with 128GB. Nintendo cheaped out, like they always do. I own a Switch. It's OK to criticize it.

When the Xbox 360 was a thing, everyone knew that the Arcade Edition without a hard drive was the sucker deal. The real price of the 360 was the console + a hard drive. Midway through that generation, it was necessary. So when the PS4 and Xbone came out, they all came with 500GB+ hdds. There was no sucker "no harddrive" SKU. The real price of the Switch is $299 + a good SD card, apparently now even if you want to buy cartridges.

Actually I would argue that Sony also cheaped out with a 500GB laptop drive on the PS4, this is no way big enough for the lifetime of the console given that many games creep close to or even beyond 50GB, in fact the first thing I did was replace it with a 2TB drive.
But hey, it's a quick and easy way to cut down on the per-unit cost of producing a console, and when you make tens of millions of them it adds up a lot. I agree 32GB on Switch isn't enough, but it isn't unexpected.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Policenaut posted:

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/925729473927905280

Well I think that was expected at this point from them.

I can't remember the last time EA has made an interesting game and anything non-sports related is a dumpster fire for them anyway. When you've already got Ubisoft and Bethesda support for your system, why bother giving a gently caress about EA.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd say that at the time (the PS4 is four years old btw) there was no way the average person was gonna fill up a 500GB quickly, but games soon started topping 50GB after that so.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I end up just whiffing a lot with Cordelia, I find. Her juggle based moveset doesn't really work when enemies just fall off to the side.

I've been really enjoying it, but obviously Odyssey has taken up my gaming time.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

I can't remember the last time EA has made an interesting game and anything non-sports related is a dumpster fire for them anyway. When you've already got Ubisoft and Bethesda support for your system, why bother giving a gently caress about EA.

If you don't care about Battlefield/Battlefront then it's been ages. They had a spike a few years back in the Skate /Mass Effect / Mirror's edge era but everything since then has been dull.

They're still just sitting and milking franchises years later. I wish they'd loving get it together and milk me out some Burnout and Skate, though.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Yeah burnout paradise 2 on switch would be noiiice

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tatsuta Age posted:

Yeah burnout paradise 2 on switch would be noiiice

Pay :10bux: to fix your car!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think I've bought an ea game since mass effect 3 in 2012

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Is there a reason why my Switch doesn't seem to be tracking play time for SMO? On my profile page it still says "first played 6 days ago" under SMO where it has the # of hours played for all my other games. Did one of those recent system updates change that feature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Tales of Woe posted:

Is there a reason why my Switch doesn't seem to be tracking play time for SMO? On my profile page it still says "first played 6 days ago" under SMO where it has the # of hours played for all my other games. Did one of those recent system updates change that feature?

Iirc it doesn't show you the hours until a week or so after you first played it. It's kind of annoying.

• Locked thread