Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

ya realise they don’t beam anything off the phone for faceid to work

"work"

but that doesn't keep them from taking/analyzing selfies anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Stymie posted:

"work"

but that doesn't keep them from taking/analyzing selfies anyway

i’m pretty sure all the photos smart analysis like face detection is done on device too

the google mobile os thread is that way

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yes, and now that they have ensured that users will constantly have to wave their phones in front of their faces there's a new stream of selfies to analyze and then upload for later deep data mining

thank you for agreeing at long last

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
stymie do believe days off from work and vacation are good things

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
lotta people getting stymied itt

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

echinopsis posted:

stymie do believe days off from work and vacation are good things

yes, stymie do

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
do you cast judgement on their choices during this time

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
no i cast magic missile

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
enjoy your time off, just dont do what you want with it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
where do i sign up for the stymie cast?

is it on itunes?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

echinopsis posted:

enjoy your time off, just dont do what you want with it

gosh it's almost as if responsibility doesn't end when you get some time to relax away from work

"sorry kids, i'm on vacation, you get to cook your own dinners tonight"

coke
Jul 12, 2009
lol

yes we should totally acknowledge strawman argument from stymie

what's next? stymie is going to promote burqa wearing muslims for not being able to use faceid so they become mad/radicalized and attack the usa so we can blame the terrorist attack on tim?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

on another note, i really marvel at the level of cultural competency apple is displaying with the iphone x. they portray this flagship device as working best when used such that the key to securing the device is to show one's uncovered face. certainly all people around the world will find this to be practical, useful, and appropriate

oh

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
two years from now all flagship android phones will have Google Face Unlock or S Face and everyone will pretend like it was an obvious thing and it wasn’t even an Apple innovation because some lovely android phone had a terrible and broken face recognition feature that was promptly abandoned.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

The Management posted:

two years from now all flagship android phones will have Google Face Unlock or S Face and everyone will pretend like it was an obvious thing and it wasn’t even an Apple a Microsoft innovation because some lovely android phone had a terrible and broken face recognition feature that was promptly abandoned.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

coke posted:

what's next? stymie is going to promote burqa wearing muslims for not being able to use faceid so they become mad/radicalized and attack the usa so we can blame the terrorist attack on tim?

oh

or you know, everyone who lives in a climate colder than sf

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
"works with hats, scarves, beards, glasses, makeup, and other items that might obscure the face"

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i dont want it, not at the exclusion of thumb unlock anyway

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

two years from now all flagship android phones will have Google Face Unlock or S Face and everyone will pretend like it was an obvious thing and it wasn’t even an Apple innovation because some lovely android phone had a terrible and broken face recognition feature that was promptly abandoned.

my money is on samsung making a horrible racist mistake with their facial recognition, either not seeing black people as people or not detecting the eyes of asian people (or ask them to open them or was that sony?)

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

The Management posted:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Lutha Mahtin posted:

or you know, everyone who lives in a climate colder than sf

to be fair with that you're just replacing 'can't unlock because gloves' with 'can't unlock because scarf'

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Boiled Water posted:

my money is on samsung making a horrible racist mistake with their facial recognition, either not seeing black people as people or not detecting the eyes of asian people (or ask them to open them or was that sony?)

it was 'did someone blink?' while circling the asian person

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

lotta people getting stymied itt

anime dog tits

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
how does it work when you just want to look at your notifications or does it just unlock all the time

because that seems annoying

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it looks like once it recognizes you it gives you the option to swipe up to show the home screen but until you do it stays on the lock screen.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
how it works is you lift it up, it fails to recognize your face, you wave it around a bit and then input your pin anyway

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Boiled Water posted:

this is squarely in the middle since some depth sensors dont reflect as well on certain pigments, while also being a result of cheaply jamming a bunch of hacks into a product to compete on the market with an established solution (or a samsung product if you will)

also the s8 has facial recognition but lol if i know anyone with one that uses it or the back finger scanner right by the camera

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ios 11.1 does the job all .1 releases do by fixing initial judder on my 7 and making things nicer poo poo owns 🤫

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Agile Vector posted:

ios 11.1 does the job all .1 releases do by fixing initial judder on my 7 and making things nicer poo poo owns 🤫

high sierra.1 dropped on halloween and seems to plug dozens of vulns, many of them arbitrary code execution or reading restricted memory, etc

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/31/iphone_x_reviewers_struggle_to_admit_face_id_not_very_good/

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

that guy writes real smug

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
looool

stymie was right

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Stymie posted:

cannot wait for phones that require you to hold the phone perfectly in front of your face which will be very convenient for muggers since you're basically handing it to them
this is stupid because everyone already walks around with them perfectly in their face oblivious to all else. it's almost remarkable. nothing new is going to change it to make it piss easy to smack and grab it out of someones hand

face id is just stupid because its not going to work and finger-id works fine since you unlock it as you take it out

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i hate our cyberpunk future.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

how is this different from unscrupulous developers just taking pictures / video with the front facing camera and running their own analysis on it

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Linguica posted:

how is this different from unscrupulous developers just taking pictures / video with the front facing camera and running their own analysis on it

pictures and video != 3d face maps

the less data they have access to the better

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
this isn’t handing them a full 3D map of your face AFAIK. it’s still a stupid thing to have, though, and is definitely going to undermine confidence in apple’s privacy promises, but it isn’t any more capable of being used for identification than 2D images already were.

it also speaks to apple’s overconfidence in their review process and blindness to its weaknesses, and their own uneven track record in enforcing their own rules and catching violators.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
touch id owns

getting rid of it is a worse idea that getting rid of usb a and headphone porst

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
i'm just going to keep using a passcode anyway since i'm irrationally paranoid. but yeah, touch id was real good poo poo.

also the wait for the x edition is down to less than a month, so it looks they got their poo poo together pretty quick in regards to production. just in time to be a great stocking stuffer for your 6-10 year old nieces and nephews to troll your siblings who are still on something like a 2 year old moto g.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i drive my fancy expensive car through slums to troll the people who live there