Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

Reminder that Gio Getmoney complained that youtube are demonetising his videos that get less views than mine but he totally isn't bothered because he is keeping it real

Farming morons is a full-time job, you see.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sunswipe posted:

I know I've said this before, but what annoys me isn't the insult (make fun of Derek all you want, we certainly do), it's the sheer lack of intelligence and effort they put into their insults, but act as if they're the reincarnation of Oscar Wilde.

Well, illiterate community college rejects always dream big - right from behind the counter at McDonalds. So. :colbert:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

trucutru posted:

You know that thing that we don't have that and is years and years away from happening? Well, I strongly believe that there have to be regulations and limitations regarding it.

Yeah th'at's the problem with base-building. Nailed it.

I used to read (and occasionally write) these things obsessively back during the Good Times, and it's soul-crushingly depressing to think that there's people still doing this poo poo five years later because there's no game. Just skimming it, it seems like the crux of this dude's argument is that it's going to be valuable to have a base on a planet, and I can't help but wonder, will it really? I mean okay, assuming they put mining in and it's persistent enough that it's worth setting up a base in one area or something, is that really that valuable? How many mining nodes are going to be on that planet? Why would you fight some idiot over his stupid fake internet job instead of just going to do it somewhere else?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The reason they are convinced that Derek have alts is because they all have alts.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

It came from Spectrum:

"Long ship travel times and nothing new and it's essential and 'fun' posted:

8 minutes is nothing. Also its been a staple diet of the online MMO sim field for decades and it works.

Anyone that has ever played, or still plays the likes of Aces High, Warbirds, WWIIonline. Will be familiar with long flight runs to battle.

An average flight time from one base to another adjacent base was 5-10 mins. Flying to bases further away well it got longer.

WWIIonline. As a foot soldier it would take 15-20 mins to simply walk to the town adjacent your attacking or at least a 5 - 10 min drive in a truck or tank.

And its always worked.

Because on the way often something crops up. you get attacked you see something you want to follow, or you and your friends use that time to plan, chat and have a few laughs.

I cant imagine playing any of those games and have as much fun if the travel time was 1-2 mins.

There simply wouldn't be enough time for any investment into the game.

It will be the same here. The meat and potatoes of the game in time investment. The killing looting and collecting your delivery paycheck is just the icing on the cake and without everything else in between. it will be a hollow and empty experience.

Sitting in the back of a C47 doing nothing but sitting still looking around and chatting with everyone else on the way to battle for the 20 mins flight was some of the most fun and funny moments.

“The most important reason for going from one place to another is to see what's in between.”

:allears:

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Latin Pheonix posted:

It came from Spectrum:

yeah no, that poo poo flew when i was 15 because i had nothing else to do

now when i get home from work i'll be hosed if i'm going to spend my few free gaming hours sitting and discussing flesh light reviews with a bunch of citizens in the hold of our captain while experiencing fidelitous 30 minute travel time to the crate stacking depot

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Amazing. Only the best treatment for their devoted supporters.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The funny thing about 8 minutes is, I'm a proponent of long travel times in online open world games, it's good for the non-combat part of economy play (trading with places far away from main hubs gets profitable since it takes a tiny bit of effort so most won't bother), but obviously star citizen did it all wrong.

On how to do this poo poo right, look at Freelancer. It's a bad game on many levels, but anywhere on your journey, you're hitting content. You see police patrols ganking you for cardamine, you see pirates interrupting the trade lane and scanning you for valuables, you see patrols fighting pirates, avoiding space rocks in space fog nebula, there's constantly *something* happening around your ship.

On the other hand, in star citizen it's just 8 minutes of loving nothing. There's not even awesome nebula scenery or anything, it's just nothing.

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 2, 2017

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Truga posted:

On the other hand, in star citizen it's just 8 minutes of loving nothing. There's not even awesome nebula scenery or anything, it's just nothing.

Untrue. You'll need that time to fix all the broken poo poo on your ship: swap faulty modules, replace blown fuses, install new filters, ensure your NPC crew are doing their jobs, shifting your cargo to assay the larboard side...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Abuminable posted:

Untrue. You'll need that time to fix all the broken poo poo on your ship: swap faulty modules, replace blown fuses, install new filters, ensure your NPC crew are doing their jobs, shifting your cargo to assay the larboard side...

You forgot using the loo.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

an idiot actually said this posted:

“The most important reason for going from one place to another is to see what's in between.”
I, too, enjoy what is basically an 8 minute loading screen. Shows the grandeur and majesty of the universe.

Truga posted:

The funny thing about 8 minutes is, I'm a proponent of long travel times in online open world games, it's good for the non-combat part of economy play (trading with places far away from main hubs gets profitable since it takes a tiny bit of effort so most won't bother), but obviously star citizen did it all wrong.

On how to do this poo poo right, look at Freelancer. It's a bad game on many levels, but anywhere on your journey, you're hitting content. You see police patrols ganking you for cardamine, you see pirates interrupting the trade lane and scanning you for valuables, you see patrols fighting pirates, there's constantly *something* happening around your ship.
I think you've got a basic problem when you're saying long-distance is fun, but only if you have a ton of distractions along the way. If you need continuous diversions while engaging in the activity you're ostensibly doing for fun, maybe that activity isn't worth doing. I remember trying to do those long distance runs in Freelancer and was like "why the gently caress am I doing this in my big shooty man ship when I'd rather shoot poo poo." Perhaps you want to capture that demographic that has always wanted to be a CDL holder running an 18 wheeler in SPAAAACCCCCCCCEEE but it's probably not something you want to distort the game to make it fit.

There's also a tension between making it easy to get to a destination and making it interesting to travel. If I'm hauling 100 crates of space dildos to the Loneliest Space Station in Sector Bumfuck, do I want to maximize my profit versus time, or do I want to get assailed by space pirates trying to make a payday? Should I get accosted by space hobos every other system I have to traverse to make it "interesting"? What if I really wanted to just pay my dues in space working class servitude so I can graduate to corvette skipper and get blown up in the next skirmish and all this stuff the game thinks makes it interesting is just an annoying speedbump that stretches out my time to play?

There's no game, and there will never be a game, but these are the sort of things real MMOs have been trying to nail down for the better part of the last two decades. These are hard questions and every one of them that has been remotely successful has answered them in different ways. But it's the sort of systems design that people have spent a lot of time thinking about, even if their conclusions differ. Naturally, I'm sure Crobbers has given this issue the due diligence required and haaahahahhahahahahah

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Truga posted:

On how to do this poo poo right, look at Freelancer. It's a bad game on many levels, but anywhere on your journey, you're hitting content. You see police patrols ganking you for cardamine, you see pirates interrupting the trade lane and scanning you for valuables, you see patrols fighting pirates, avoiding space rocks in space fog nebula, there's constantly *something* happening around your ship.

Ok. To be fair Crobblers did mention that the intent is to have such interruptions in your long travels. They did not have that in the demo as it would mean that they would have to show some gameplay in their con, and lol who would want to see that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Surviving through ambushes with an 18 wheeler can be fun.

e: Also it's not just trading part of economy that matters with travel times. Far away places will see less player activity, meaning you can do things in relative peace when you feel like it to make cash, since NPCs are dumb so you can learn their thing and kill them 100% of the time as long as you nail the "puzzle". Obviously that requires well scripted AI that's tough but beatable to stay fun, so it's also a thing that'll never happen.

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 2, 2017

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Latin Pheonix posted:

It came from Spectrum:

See, I can kind of get that line of thought if you're using the computer game as an escape from your awful life or if it's your only stable means of socializing.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Truga posted:

In before Chris Roberts watches Mad Max

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Colostomy Bag posted:

You forgot using the loo.

I was going to mention that, but I didn't want to spur the thread into another 5 pages of bathroom talk :D

Abuminable fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 2, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Luckily it takes around 8 minutes for the Mixmaster to create a Hairy Roberts

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

relay is starting to turn into somekind of absurd art.

talks about things coming next year sighs and starts talking about how citcon was best stream ever.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/185597571?t=02m59s

talks about tech shown being impossible. Then starts talking how CIG showed that its possible :allears:
https://go.twitch.tv/videos/185597571?t=06m36s

"it doesnt matter what reality is . it matters what it looks like" its amazing quote taken out of context and it fits star citizen like a glove.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/185597571?t=23m26s

showing actual gameplay is bad
https://go.twitch.tv/videos/185597571?t=29m54s

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/185597571 whole video is pretty good.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 2, 2017

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

D_Smart posted:

Are they for real? I'm not even banned. I have been temp banned there 3 times for going off-topic. Just like everyone else who has. The third time, I opted not to return after the 30 day ban expired because it's just going to end up being the same thing whereby they show up, poo poo up the place, we overreact, and everyone gets temp banned en masse.

It's amazing how they make poo poo up seemingly on-the-fly.

The moderation in that thread is directly related to how many shitizens are posting in it. The mods don't even bother that much with it anymore (apart from the usual cleanup) unless stuff starts getting reported. It's the stuff being reported that leads to the temp bans and it's not even posters over-reacting, it's just for being off-topic - for example someone posting something about the SC community instead of the game will get reported.

So in order to not appear biased the mods will remove off-topic posts, sometimes issue an infraction and with enough infractions = temp ban.

What then happens is the shitizens act like complete dicks and end up getting perma'd themselves.

Then you have to wait for another wave of shitizens to build up some rep so they can post in the thread again and the cycle begins anew. They've been at it for years, they can't get anyone permanently banned except for themselves, they are complete idiots.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

I used to read (and occasionally write) these things obsessively back during the Good Times, and it's soul-crushingly depressing to think that there's people still doing this poo poo five years later because there's no game. Just skimming it, it seems like the crux of this dude's argument is that it's going to be valuable to have a base on a planet, and I can't help but wonder, will it really? I mean okay, assuming they put mining in and it's persistent enough that it's worth setting up a base in one area or something, is that really that valuable? How many mining nodes are going to be on that planet? Why would you fight some idiot over his stupid fake internet job instead of just going to do it somewhere else?

No, the crux of his argument is that "Groups of people in this multiplayer game have an unfair advantage and can use their totally non-p2w combat ships to combat other people (me!) over resources! CIG should regulate and limit those players (but not me!)"

Sandweed posted:

The reason they are convinced that Derek have alts is because they all have alts.

I can barely handle my single lovely reddit account. I dread to think what it takes to systematically downvote people with your alts and keep track of them.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 2, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AbstractNapper posted:

Ok. To be fair Crobblers did mention that the intent is to have such interruptions in your long travels. They did not have that in the demo as it would mean that they would have to show some gameplay in their con, and lol who would want to see that.

It's a perfect example of why "show, don't tell" is such a critical part of marketing. Had CR actually showed gameplay it would have given credence to his assertion that people would actually be doing stuff during the 8 minute load time. Instead the narrative is that CR has nothing to talk about and the game will take forever before you see anything.

I'm surprised the greatest saleswoman in the world ever since she was a little girl would let that happen.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dark Off posted:

talks about things coming next year sighs and starts talking about how citcon was best stream ever.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/185597571?t=02m59s

talks about tech shown being impossible. Then starts talking how CIG showed that its possible :allears:
https://go.twitch.tv/videos/185597571?t=06m36s

"it doesnt matter what reality is . it matters what it looks like" its amazing quote taken out of context and it fits star citizen like a glove.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/185597571?t=23m26s

showing actually gameplay is bad
https://go.twitch.tv/videos/185597571?t=29m54s

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/185597571 whole video is pretty good.

Relay: "We have the design document for mining, and we know that's how mining's going to work. Mining is not going to change from that design document."

Some days it's really hard to laugh about how loving depressing all this is.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Bowtie:
Maybe not... maybe not just the presentation itself cos... I will say that the presentation was kinda short, we did just see the procedural planets, it was... this presentation was all about procedural planets, it was all about the TRAVEL between procedural planets and the way that they're built which to me is incredibly IMPORTANT, I think... I think that that's AMAZING but yeah some gameplay would have been great... like... would have been...

Nehkara:
People can't... people... you need to stop splitting hairs. There's a million people who told them not to do any gameplay cos they're sick and tired of it. So many people were all up and down them like DO NOT DO ANY GAMEPLAY it's STUPID it's MORONIC it's EMBARRASSING... so... you know... you gotta... you gotta actually... you know... understand where it's coming from here. They did this demo because it's what they had to show and people got pissed at them for doing gameplay.

Bowtie:
I think that... my thing is that... like... this... this DEMO... was... it WAS 3.1 and 3.2... I mean... we KNOW how mining is gonna work... we've... we've got an entire design document on mining, and mining's not gonna change from that design doc. We haven't seen it in game yet FINE, but we know how it's gonna work and we've actually seen them work on procedural asteroids and things to mine and we KNOW that the Prospector's.... LOOK, we KNOW that that's coming. The proc... this is the first time that we've seen procedural CITIES and we all THOUGHT it was coming but they never talked about it or talked about how it was gonna DO and they never talked about the EXTENT that it would go to and HONESTLY seeing all of ARCCORP that is an ENTIRE PLANET OF PROCEDURALLY GENERATED CITY?

That is...

Nehkara:
And it didn't just completely rip its computer apart. Although I did think it was funny that its GPU started to fail at one point

Bowtie:
It... it did... but like... but... but... that is IMPRESSIVE... like...

Nehkara:
Um...

Bowtie:
That to me is more... like that... I know it's not GAMEPLAY... but that is ENGINE WORK that CREATES gameplay... that create... like... you know what else I keep thinking of? I keep think of, uh... uh... ah gently caress... uh... KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC. Love that game. But... but... my... mine... uh... all of my MEMORIES around KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC centre around like the first place you show up. And it's a CITY. And there's all these different apartments and things to explore and I get LOST every single time I play it I get LOST in the CITY OF IT.

Cos it's an ENTIRE CITY. I know it's actually really limited when you... when you KNOW IT but when you don't it's a CITY to EXPLORE and all of these different PLACES

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Dark Off posted:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

And now we're into needing a Car Wars game again.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm surprised the greatest saleswoman in the world ever since she was a little girl would let that happen.

She's actually a bellweather for me. Like the one thing I'm keeping an eye on, because she's more interested than involved. She's already kinda checked out from the whole thing, although I'm amused that they keep calling the various shows 'TV Programmes'. They're heading for that difficult seventh season and looking for a shark.

Abuminable posted:

I was going to mention that, but I didn't want to spur the thread into another 5 pages of bathroom talk :D

That's a load of poo poo.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 2, 2017

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

Transcript of the strange people

Nehkara "Stop showing all the gameplay, we are sick of it, just stick to selling us dreams!"

gently caress, what is wrong with these people? :cry:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Hav posted:

And now we're into needing a Car Wars game again.

http://www.dark-wind.com/

This was amazing in its day.

We need a Car Wars/Dark Future online multiplayer in-cockpit driving sim with weapon loadouts, missiles, mines, smoke and debris strewn everywhere. We need it here and we need it now.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Relay: "We have the design document for mining, and we know that's how mining's going to work. Mining is not going to change from that design document."

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain along with the design document.”
- Any meeting with Crobbers.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sabreseven posted:

Learned helplessness.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Star Citizen: So many people were all up and down them like DO NOT DO ANY GAMEPLAY it's STUPID it's MORONIC it's EMBARRASSING

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sabreseven posted:

The best part of that is that he's wrong. Nobody was saying "stop showing gameplay." Everyone was complaining about the cheesy bullshit "gamer roleplay" that the two people pretending to control the characters were doing.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I mean he meant role play here right? If he meant gameplay then I don't even know what the gently caress anymore

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

http://www.dark-wind.com/

This was amazing in its day.

We need a Car Wars/Dark Future online multiplayer in-cockpit driving sim with weapon loadouts, missiles, mines, smoke and debris strewn everywhere. We need it here and we need it now.

I was not aware of this, thank you. And yes, we really do.

Beet Wagon posted:

The best part of that is that he's wrong. Nobody was saying "stop showing gameplay." Everyone was complaining about the cheesy bullshit "gamer roleplay" that the two people pretending to control the characters were doing.

"Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is utterly impossible to parody a Creationist in such a way that someone won't mistake for the genuine article."
- Poe's law.

SC true believers are creationists. They don't care about the bandwidth limitations, or the latency of calculations, they just care about the item of faith itself. And it's really no deeper than that.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 2, 2017

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Show gameplay = Refunds
Show video = ship sales

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Truga posted:

There and Back Again: An Autist's Tale by Me

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
16 min round trip. Don't forget your space wallet!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Hav posted:

I was not aware of this, thank you. And yes, we really do.

It's worth actually downloading the client and playing a few rounds against the AI, it really is.

There's way more depth to the game than you'd think - persistent characters that you level up, story missions, towns, cool scenarios. And the actual turn based gameplay is addictive as hell, it's pretty much Car Wars with awesome physics. It's an inspired game, a real gem lost in the depths of time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Could also be CR is a genius and just making a perfect game for his audience. We all know shitizens are wankers. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Titanic posted:

Not trying to be rude to your culture, but is that a literal piss troth you’re supposed to use next to however many dudes can fit in next to you?

This is getting worse. I feel bad for guys who have no way to maintain dignity because of ??? Reasons? Is it saving money on a cheap wall or something?

Unless you are super conscious about your dick size or super afraid of being gay, you just go and pee because you had too much beer. It's no big deal.
There are piss troughs in every country even the US.