Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I think MMA Junkie is probably somehow the most legitimate, although their website is terrible and has a video autoplay on every page. MMA Mania has been pretty reliable for me for awhile now.

On the side, there was an interesting article on Deadspin yesterday that kind of underscored how lovely of a company SB Nation is and why lots of their coverage (like Bloody Elbow) is so bad.

mmajunkie is the most comprehensive RSS feed but you should never click on their articles for any reason. Karim Zidan is the only mma journalist worth reading and he's on bloody elbow. Bloody elbow also attempts to break down/predict fights in a shoddy way, but that's miles ahead of every other media outlet that just posts stuff from twitter directly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

drat. I haven't used a computer in years so I was hoping for something without advertising to break a phone.

But I'm getting a computer this week, so I'm saving those bookmarks.

If you ever work at Dell for a period of time you will leave literally hating technology.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Captain Log posted:

drat. I haven't used a computer in years so I was hoping for something without advertising to break a phone.

But I'm getting a computer this week, so I'm saving those bookmarks.

If you ever work at Dell for a period of time you will leave literally hating technology.

You can install adblock on phones.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fozzy The Bear posted:

You can install adblock on phones.

IOS has become a broken loving joke. I will on the next phone I get.

No exaggeration, I was using it as a GPS and without any input from me it switched to French, then Thai. Then is got so hot it couldn't turn on for half a day.

I wish MMA could get respectable enough to warrant good coverage on the lesser known fighters. I have an extremely hard time keeping up with B leagues when I'm unable to check my thread stories.

Amended question - Is a particular website good for following non-American MMA and other combatives?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Captain Log posted:

Amended question - Is a particular website good for following non-American MMA and other combatives?

For Scandinavian MMA there is http://www.mmaviking.com/, which is in English. It might be a bit too niche though and I don't know of anything focused on Europe in general.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Log posted:

Literally the best way to follow Australian MMA is to follow Hex Fight Series and Mark Hunt on facebook.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Why is the McGregor vs. Mayweather fight such a big deal?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Straight cash homie

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

conor mcgregor and floyd mayweather are fighting in it

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The most marketable boxer of the past two decades vs the most marketable mma fighter of the past 20 years and the general public has been sold on the fact that it could be competitive

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Two fighters a lot of people would like to see knocked out.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

My stepdad, whom I've never talked to about fighting, and to my knowledge has no real interest in fighting sports, was telling me how excited about it he is. This is the first time I've heard nonfans talk about boxing since probably Tyson.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I know I unintentionally became a nuisance in the grappling thread for a while, but I have a question about a new thread?

Would this forum benefit from a catch-all combat sport thread for people who compete, did compete, or would like to compete in anything from Russian Sambo Hugging to XARM? I frequently have technical questions that don't belong in the grappling thread.

If anyone gave a poo poo, would Kimbo, Jay SB, Yuns, or some of the high level combat people we have like to take a shot at the OP?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
there's a martial arts thread in a/t that would fit the bill

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Captain Log posted:

If anyone gave a poo poo, would Kimbo, Jay SB, Yuns, or some of the high level combat people we have like to take a shot at the OP?

Thanks for the praise, but I don't think I'm in other folks' league in terms of competition experience for my years in the sport.
Though I do recommend the MA thread. It's not as much high level competition discussion, but it is a decent catchall for stuff outside of the grappling thread and the fairly inactive boxing training thread.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

kimbo305 posted:

Thanks for the praise, but I don't think I'm in other folks' league in terms of competition experience for my years in the sport.
Though I do recommend the MA thread. It's not as much high level competition discussion, but it is a decent catchall for stuff outside of the grappling thread and the fairly inactive boxing training thread.

If you are a goon that has fought in a gym ever, you’re an expert in this neck of the woods.

You hit the nail though. The A/T thread is there but it has seemingly dick all to do with combat sports, just practical self defense and people getting winded from reading.

I guess I wish that thread existed for people who were at least amateur level in a sport.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Captain Log posted:

If you are a goon that has fought in a gym ever, you’re an expert in this neck of the woods.

You hit the nail though. The A/T thread is there but it has seemingly dick all to do with combat sports, just practical self defense and people getting winded from reading.

I guess I wish that thread existed for people who were at least amateur level in a sport.

I think I can weigh in as an unbiased outsider. I am a huge UFC fan, but I have no desire to learn a martial art, and I have no skin in the game regarding this question. So I think I can give my (probably useless and stupid) opinion since I'm not affected by a mod decision on this.

If I was a scared, paranoid, ordinary citizen (which I am) wanting to know how to defend myself from that sketchy hooligan on the street, I might go to the A/T thread. On the other hand, I believe that if you were a serious martial artist wanting expert advice on technique beyond how to get away from some criminal in an alley, then I'd probably be inclined to check the Rowdy Ringsports forum for some kind of "I'm learning BJJ/karate/wrestling/boxing, can any goons help me with what to do in this situation?" thread.

So, I think your thread idea in this forum is valid and appropriate.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I appreciate all the input, in-forum and elsewhere. If I put one up - PLEASE PSP goons understand it's supposed to function as an athlete's combat sport catch all thread for any type of question.

I might start effort posting an OP. Or I'll get distracted by a parrot. It's a hard life.

The grappling thread is, very appropriately, amazing for high level and newbie BJJ.

If anyone thinks of a good title, PM me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Captain Log posted:

I might start effort posting an OP. Or I'll get distracted by a parrot. It's a hard life.

Yeah :justpost:, there's absolutely nothing to lose. Worst case scenario the thread won't have any traction and it'll quickly slip off the first page. Best case scenario you create a really useful thread and that would be a good thing.

Those parrots can be mighty distracting though :3:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Captain Log posted:

I appreciate all the input, in-forum and elsewhere. If I put one up - PLEASE PSP goons understand it's supposed to function as an athlete's combat sport catch all thread for any type of question.

The grappling thread is, very appropriately, amazing for high level and newbie BJJ.

If anyone thinks of a good title, PM me.

While I no longer train, I'd like a thread like this. The technical breakdowns are my favorite part of this thread.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Captain Log posted:

I try my best to participate in high-level striking discussion in the A/T thread, but somehow grappling discussion is consistently better and more detailed.
I'm jealous and also disappointed that I can't help contribute more.

It has to do with the number of participants (in the thread and in the two disciplines), but also to do with the way the sports work and how you go about individualizing a style for yourself, I think.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I know I could ask this in QCS but there is a pretty specific look to OPs in PSP. I loving hate BB code. Is there a better way to type an OP, insert pictures, then insert it into the forums without breaking my "[" key?

Also, on a thread like we have described, would we like it to be very basic information only or should I add some Log/forums brand crazy?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Log posted:

I know I could ask this in QCS but there is a pretty specific look to OPs in PSP. I loving hate BB code. Is there a better way to type an OP, insert pictures, then insert it into the forums without breaking my "[" key?

Also, on a thread like we have described, would we like it to be very basic information only or should I add some Log/forums brand crazy?

I use BBCeditor to put together the UFC monthly thread OPs. It's basically typing in a forum post box, you can preview it on a pane on the right side of the screen, it has most of the things like Ctrl-I for italics and Ctrl-B for bold tags etc etc. Worth taking a look at for a big effort post.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Memento posted:

I use BBCeditor to put together the UFC monthly thread OPs. It's basically typing in a forum post box, you can preview it on a pane on the right side of the screen, it has most of the things like Ctrl-I for italics and Ctrl-B for bold tags etc etc. Worth taking a look at for a big effort post.

This has been ridiculously helpful, if anyone else wants to play with it.

Edit : No iOS though :(

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Honest to God tip for new people and idiots like me -

Don't piddle away at a thread for a week and just leave it in a browser window, half finished. Browsers explode.

Back to the drawing board.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Has anybody seen the S-mount in MMA? I wonder why it's so rare. Fewer striking options than technical mount?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Has anybody seen the S-mount in MMA? I wonder why it's so rare. Fewer striking options than technical mount?

It's too slippery.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Mount isn't even that useful in MMA. Its almost impossible to hold unless there's already some large disparity in skill or strength or damage.

When you do achieve mount it isn't that easy to hold. Everyone knows how to defend it, and are quite willing to use a lot of strength to do so. S-mount is trickier to get into, and I daresay easier to get reversed out of. In BJJ this is a nice triangle setup, but in MMA you want to stay on top IMO.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm pretty sure Junie Browning hit S-mount briefly in one of his TUF fights. He was destroying that guy, so it was just a flavor of the moment offense.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I boldly claim that mount is useful in mma

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The mount, ladies and gentlemen, is not useful in mma.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I mean, i'm an idiot and that's well known, but saying that mount is useless in mma is categorically incorrect. Cf. 99% of mma fights where one fighter gains mount position. People escaping unscathed is the exception not the rule. Most people get hit pretty hard with strikes and/or put into position for a submission once someone has them mounted in the cage.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It might be more fair to say that the mount is often a transitional position in MMA rather than a place that people chill out, but it's usually a transition to death.

Maia kinda transitioned through S-mount when killing Sonnen, btw.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Count Roland posted:

Mount isn't even that useful in MMA. Its almost impossible to hold unless there's already some large disparity in skill or strength or damage.

When you do achieve mount it isn't that easy to hold. Everyone knows how to defend it, and are quite willing to use a lot of strength to do so. S-mount is trickier to get into, and I daresay easier to get reversed out of. In BJJ this is a nice triangle setup, but in MMA you want to stay on top IMO.

Everyone in BJJ is puny and can't use strength to escape the mount, but in MMA their large, bulging, sexy muscles change the game completely.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
white belt here but generally speaking in a fight it seems to me like a bad idea to get yourself tied up in a position like that unless youre threatening a submission. if for whatever reason you lose control while youre mounted like that its harder to stand up from

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think by the very definition of s-mount you're threatening submission. It's like mount except they can't move either shoulder and you have two armbars 75% finished. I'm leaning towards that transitional idea, that it's bad because it snaps you out of the mount/technical mount/back control flow.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 3, 2017

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I think by the very definition of s-mount you're threatening submission. It's like mount except they can't move either shoulder and you have two armbars 75% finished. I'm leaning towards that transitional idea, that it's bad because it snaps you out of the mount/technical mount/back control flow.

ill defer to you there. but either way i think the answer is simpler, its harder to stand up from and easier to compromise

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think its more its a lot easier to punch the gently caress out of someone from halfguard.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Wait, nevermind. I used S-mount nonstop for a few days and I way overestimated how secure it is. I asked a friend who used to be in the UFC and he said mount only exists as a way to punch people into back control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Just watched Lomachenko/Rigondeaux and it was a boring shitshow. Couple of questions.

Did people who know anything about boxing (I do not) think it was a boring shitshow as well?

Why did Rigo keep ducking so low?

Was his excuse for quitting legit? It seems like of you're going to injure your hand you might maybe need to have landed a punch or two.

Please educate me as to whether this fight was all it was cracked up to be or if people who know what they're watching agree with my bad takes.