Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

FireMrshlBill posted:

They could just ship it on a 32GB card and lose an extra $0.10/card or whatever.

Lol what

Storage space isn't like enormously expensive but we're still talking dollar(s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm not surprised that EA would be less than thrilled to support the Switch, they didn't produce a ton of great stuff for the Wii, and I'm sure they weren't too happy with the reception/sales of the games they did have on the Wii U.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Policenaut posted:

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/925729473927905280

Well I think that was expected at this point from them.

Wasn't there an article recently about Capcom underestimating the Switch but trying to play it off as normal procedure for third parties to just port things for the first year since there isn't enough development time? Just ignore the fact that they had Dead Rising 3 developed specifically for the Xbox One at launch.

I feel like companies expected the Switch to be a Wii U level flop but instead it's huge and now they're having to figure out their game plan. EA is no big loss and modern Capcom is real hit or miss, but it would be nice to see proper Switch support from them in time. Being able to play home console titles anywhere you want is awesome and it would be foolish of them not to dip their fingers into this pie. Just imagine all those Call of Duty kids being able to game at their rooftop parties!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Imagined posted:

There are currently 14 smartphones on the market that come with 256GB of storage, and a loving poo poo ton that come with 128GB. Nintendo cheaped out, like they always do. I own a Switch. It's OK to criticize it.

When the Xbox 360 was a thing, everyone knew that the Arcade Edition without a hard drive was the sucker deal. The real price of the 360 was the console + a hard drive. Midway through that generation, it was necessary. So when the PS4 and Xbone came out, they all came with 500GB+ hdds. There was no sucker "no harddrive" SKU. The real price of the Switch is $299 + a good SD card, apparently now even if you want to buy cartridges.

Flash mem is supply constrained. They could absolutely have made more cash by selling a 128GB model for another $75 or whatever, but that'd mean less switches total

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's hard for me to believe that tens of millions of workers in China are pumping out flash memory by the ton every day but it still isn't enough to keep up with the world's insatiable lust for devices that use it, but that appears to be the case.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

Is there a reason why my Switch doesn't seem to be tracking play time for SMO? On my profile page it still says "first played 6 days ago" under SMO where it has the # of hours played for all my other games. Did one of those recent system updates change that feature?

Yeah that'll eventually update, but I'm pretty sure SMO has its own built in play timer in the menu?

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

well why not posted:

If you don't care about Battlefield/Battlefront then it's been ages. They had a spike a few years back in the Skate /Mass Effect / Mirror's edge era but everything since then has been dull.

They're still just sitting and milking franchises years later. I wish they'd loving get it together and milk me out some Burnout and Skate, though.

The only good game I can think of that EA has made in the last half decade was Titanfall 2, which they released to die. They are a dumpster fire of a company and have been since they fired John Riccitiello. Also they killed single player KOTOR and I don't think I can ever forgive that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I haven't gone to Bowser yet. Is the post game content more stuff in previous levels or are there new levels to go to post game?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's hard for me to believe that like hundreds of millions of workers in China are pumping out flash memory by the ton every day but it still isn't enough to keep up with the world's insatiable lust for devices that use it, but that appears to be the case.

Flash Forecast: Shortage Persists Into Mid-2018

Basically, manufacturers are locked into long-term contracts and ramping up production is hard/expensive and new factories take multiple years to spin up. They could make it happen but not without compromising with price or reliability/performance

They're certain to be working on it though, they didn't design it with a eMMC module for no reason

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Macaluso posted:

So I haven't gone to Bowser yet. Is the post game content more stuff in previous levels or are there new levels to go to post game?

A few new levels, a good 20+-odd Moons added to each level in post-game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Sweet thanks. I heard there was something like 800+ moons to collect and that has me so stoked since I'm only at like 150 or something?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Would EA even be relevant if they didn't have Madden & FIFA on cruise control?

I'll never forgive them for forever loving up their great Tiger Woods games. Rory McIlroy PGA Tour sucked.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Suspicious Cook posted:

I feel like companies expected the Switch to be a Wii U level flop but instead it's huge and now they're having to figure out their game plan.

I don't think anyone, Nintendo included, expected the Switch to be as successful as it has been so far, so yeah it has taken a lot of people by surprise.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I sure didn't expect it to be as kickass a piece of hardware and software as it is.

Also I think I have to buy Odyssey tomorrow. I made it into November, that's enough to satisfy my imaginary game budget issues.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

DoctorWhat posted:

The Pro Controller D-Pad fails, fundamentally, to do the important d-pad task of being significantly more reliable at specific directions than an analogue stick. Tons of false inputs, especially on the top diagonals. Makes Tetris unplayable (accidental hard drops) and is therefore Not Trustworthy.

Comfortable controller but if a D-Pad isn't reliable, I'd rather have separate buttons.

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah if the pro controller gives false positives on the D-pad then I'm sticking to the joycons even sight unseen, that's kinda critical

Interesting, I never noticed that problem with the Switch Pro controller and I use the dpad a lot for things like Picross where a false positive would be glaring. The Xbox One controller on the other hand I have major issues with that while other people think its the second coming of the SNES controller with how they fawn over the d-pad on it. So I don't know.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Lol what

Storage space isn't like enormously expensive but we're still talking dollar(s)

I was exaggerating

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Every time I hear about EA doing anything these days it's always something dumb and bad. I don't even care about Mass Effect anymore since I'm not confident they can make another good one.

Also Battlefield I guess, but not enough to shell out fifty bucks up front for DLC

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Console storage space is clearly a case of induced demand. The more you offer, the more developers feel free to take.

Also, I think the vast majority of people don't give a poo poo about how much storage space they have, and have no problem uninstalling games they are done with. It's just not a big issue.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's hard for me to believe that tens of millions of workers in China are pumping out flash memory by the ton every day but it still isn't enough to keep up with the world's insatiable lust for devices that use it, but that appears to be the case.

Last year an estimated 1.5 billion smartphones were sold, that's a lot of flash memory. This is compounded by the increasingly throw-away nature of phones with yearly iterative hardware revisions (some companies don't even wait that long).

So yeah, games consoles are a drop in the ocean compared to that.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Drunk Tomato posted:

Console storage space is clearly a case of induced demand. The more you offer, the more developers feel free to take.

Also, I think the vast majority of people don't give a poo poo about how much storage space they have, and have no problem uninstalling games they are done with. It's just not a big issue.

There are lots of people with lovely internet speeds and usage caps. Also every device (except the Switch) launches with an overpriced bigger storage version, so it's obviously something people are willing to pay for

I mean I don't give it a lot of thought but having to uninstall all of my marios to make room for one lovely wrestling game would probably not make me happy.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

FireMrshlBill posted:

I was exaggerating

You were actually doing the exact opposite of that

:smuggo:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Suspicious Cook posted:

Wasn't there an article recently about Capcom underestimating the Switch but trying to play it off as normal procedure for third parties to just port things for the first year since there isn't enough development time? Just ignore the fact that they had Dead Rising 3 developed specifically for the Xbox One at launch

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

MZ posted:

I don't think anyone, Nintendo included, expected the Switch to be as successful as it has been so far, so yeah it has taken a lot of people by surprise.

In a recent interview they said that is exactly the case. Their initial supply chain was setup to be able to deliver 2 million consoles in March when the system was released, and they thought that was wildly overoptimistic, based on Wii U sales. They were completely unprepared for the demand, and ended up selling 2.7 million total in March, which was way more than they were expecting any any "realistic" projections.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm not surprised that EA would be less than thrilled to support the Switch, they didn't produce a ton of great stuff for the Wii, and I'm sure they weren't too happy with the reception/sales of the games they did have on the Wii U.

They're more concerned with the Switch's ability to support Games as Service and monetize its userbase. All of EA's AAA games are transitioning to a service model so it's important that Switch consumers are open to these monetization systems. I guess it's good news that the Switch's online functionality is more robust than past systems and service games, such as Rocket League, are appearing on the system.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Wasn't there an article recently about Capcom underestimating the Switch but trying to play it off as normal procedure for third parties to just port things for the first year since there isn't enough development time? Just ignore the fact that they had Dead Rising 3 developed specifically for the Xbox One at launch.

I feel like companies expected the Switch to be a Wii U level flop but instead it's huge and now they're having to figure out their game plan. EA is no big loss and modern Capcom is real hit or miss, but it would be nice to see proper Switch support from them in time. Being able to play home console titles anywhere you want is awesome and it would be foolish of them not to dip their fingers into this pie. Just imagine all those Call of Duty kids being able to game at their rooftop parties!

They also jumped headfirst into making games for the Xbox 360 even though the original Xbox had middling success. Microsoft was very active in helping them promote their games and deal with technical issues. Having a platform holder help mitigate the risk of developing and promoting games is much more valuable than having a large userbase to sell to. Plenty of games release on a mature platform and fail. Very few have the luxury of a platform holder supporting them throughout development.

Similarly, Capcom had a strong business relationship with Nintendo. Capcom was one of the first publishers to receive Switch devkits. Nintendo also helped them with development, promotion, and publishing games, such as the Monster Hunter series. Why didn't Capcom have a more robust lineup for the Switch when Nintendo handhelds make up a disproportion amount of their business and they had received preferential treatment over other publishers?

:shrug:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I can’t help but feel some higher ups at Capcom are sweating bullets watching the Switch take off after they put their last golden goose, Monster Hunter, on the chopping block to chase the white whale that is the western market

Their excuse for not having anything for the Switch is bullshit too. They’re one of the first devs to know Nintendo’s plans since it was them asking that increased the amount of RAM in the system to begin with

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nintendo even increased the amount of RAM at Capcom's request.

So regardless of they support level, I am thankful Capcom got Nintendo to put more RAM in there

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'll buy Dragon's Doge again if they make a portable version for Switch

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'll buy Dragon's Doge again if they make a portable version for Switch

:same:

3rd Dragon's Doge best Dragon's Doge

(pls no "shake joycon to climb dragon's neck faster")

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

You were actually doing the exact opposite of that

:smuggo:

Exaggerating how cheap memory is, I used it correctly.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
what's a resident evil revelation and what'll it do on my mario box

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

what's a resident evil revelation and what'll it do on my mario box

its a bad game but the one with 2 on it is better and perfect for your mario box.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Uh two doesn’t have RACHEL so its worse by default?

I want a Switch case that’s themed after the NES

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I never played much but what I did play was enjoyable third person shooter fare.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I want a Switch case that’s themed after the NES

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Nintendo-Console-Storage-Carrying-Sophisticator/dp/B06X1CGQR8

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Suspicious Cook posted:

Just ignore the fact that they had Dead Rising 3 developed specifically for the Xbox One at launch.

Microsoft payed them to make it, not merely for exclusivity.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
nintendo tends to not to need to pay other companies to make games for their consoles, as their first party software is generally well-regarded.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Ciaphas posted:

is the pro controller worth having at all if i'm ok with the grip-attached joycons when i'm playing on the tv?
Probably not, I impulse-bought the Splatoon 2 one though and I love it, even though I was happy enough using the grip. I played a bit of Odyssey with split joycons also, and that was pretty nice too.

Ciaphas posted:

Oh thank christ they're on the SD card. gently caress twitter and facebook to hell
Ok grandpa.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Impermanent posted:

nintendo tends to not to need to pay other companies to make games for their consoles, as their first party software is generally well-regarded.

They should pay Platinum to make Bayonetta 3 though

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Andrast posted:

They should pay Platinum to make Bayonetta 3 though

Agreed. Need more platinum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i noticed the pro controller selling for 50ish quid on amazon uk the other day, it used to be 80 quid. was there a price cut recently or something?

• Locked thread