Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Just play EVE. At least in goonswarm, you can shitpost in voice chat with other goons while being bored in space. And sometimes like three hundred people all group up to shoot at a tower so they can be bored in space at the same time.

Also, you can scam pubbies out of millions of in-game dollars and as long as you only took in-game goods, it's completely within the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Pretty sure that nobody tries to attack you during a ground domination, so go hog wild with it.

I’ve definitely been interrupted doing a ground domination on a generic grunt, but I believe doing it to a worm or broken captain instantly puts you in the interrogation screen and makes you uninterruptible.

Another tip; it’s worth investing in the skill upgrades for elven light that apply fire and poison damage. Some captains will be vulnerable to those effects and having upgraded elven light is a reliable way to be able to apply it. Mighty shot can be upgraded that way too, but I’m unsure if “immune to ranged attacks” would interfere with that...? Either way, as far as I know, nobody is ever immune to elven light, so that’s a safe investment.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Really just looking for a game where I can fly around space at my leisure. No Man's Sky scratched this itch for a while, so I figured I'd give E:D a try.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

1redflag posted:

Really just looking for a game where I can fly around space at my leisure. No Man's Sky scratched this itch for a while, so I figured I'd give E:D a try.

The X3 series might be better for you then. E:D isn't too bad if you want to Euro Truck it, but it is pretty empty

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, yeah, X3 is a good game for Chillaxing! In! Space!

Just get the most recent one, they're more like improvements than sequels/expansions.

Or if you're deadset on Elite, you could go old-school and play Oolite. It's free, and they released their first update in over a year just this past month. (It even adds an Easy Start scenario, which is rad.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 2, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’ve definitely been interrupted doing a ground domination on a generic grunt, but I believe doing it to a worm or broken captain instantly puts you in the interrogation screen and makes you uninterruptible.

Another tip; it’s worth investing in the skill upgrades for elven light that apply fire and poison damage. Some captains will be vulnerable to those effects and having upgraded elven light is a reliable way to be able to apply it. Mighty shot can be upgraded that way too, but I’m unsure if “immune to ranged attacks” would interfere with that...? Either way, as far as I know, nobody is ever immune to elven light, so that’s a safe investment.

Update: I checked with the SoW thread and they confirm that if an orc is immune to range, and you hit them directly with fire/poison mighty shot, they’ll take zero damage, even if they’re vulnerable to the element. However, if you hit the ground near them, they’ll take splash damage from the elemental effect. So aim carefully!

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

1redflag posted:

E:D is still a good do-whatever-in-space type of game. It's just vast and almost everything is procedurally generated, so it can start feeling samey after a while. There is plenty of unique stuff to find, but it's often placed pretty far apart. Also joining the Diamond Frogs will make the game even better.

Most of what's on the wiki is still relevant. A good early game money maker is going to Resource Extraction Sites in planetary rings and following the police ships around. If you shoot at a wanted ship at least once before it dies, you'll get the full bounty for it as long as too much time hasn't passed in between.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh, yeah, X3 is a good game for Chillaxing! In! Space!

Just get the most recent one, they're more like improvements than sequels/expansions.

By which he means get X3 Albion Prelude. X Rebirth is garbage.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Note that before you start chillaxing in X, you'll need to memorize an entire keyboard's worth of controls. I never managed to get into it on account of that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Anything for Etrian Odyssey V for someone who hasn't played one of these in like a decade?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

food court bailiff posted:

Anything for Etrian Odyssey V for someone who hasn't played one of these in like a decade?

- There's aren't many ways to screw up your party composition, as long as you aren't wildly stupid with your choices (like three mages in front or something)
- When enemies are affected by status afflictions, they will be temporarily immune to them for a time, then will have a high resistance that eventually returns to normal over a few turns. So once you bind a boss's arm or something, don't try doing it again for a few turns at least.
- Elemental weaknesses are extremely important. Have at least one party member that can at least use elements, or apply them to others' attacks.
- The beginning of the game is loving hard. Like, one-or-two-battles-before-returning hard. You might lose party members on your first fight. It gets easier as it continues (but not the bosses, gently caress those guys)
- Level up how you want, but know that after the second stratum you unlock a new page of 'master' skills.
- Don't have a party of young pre-pubescent-looking girls. Don't be that guy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Black Mirror 1? I heard it's a bit Sierra-ish in regards to getting into unwinnable situations.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for Black Mirror 1? I heard it's a bit Sierra-ish in regards to getting into unwinnable situations.

Oh yes. Keep multiple saves, and save often. When a new act begins, you'll always be in a good state. There are no dependencies from act to act.

At one point, the game will serve you a variant on the 15 tile sliding puzzle. There's a 50/50 chance that the puzzle generated is unsolvable, so don't save your game after seeing the puzzle, until you're sure you didn't get screwed.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

StoryTime posted:

Oh yes. Keep multiple saves, and save often. When a new act begins, you'll always be in a good state. There are no dependencies from act to act.

At one point, the game will serve you a variant on the 15 tile sliding puzzle. There's a 50/50 chance that the puzzle generated is unsolvable, so don't save your game after seeing the puzzle, until you're sure you didn't get screwed.

I will never play this game but knowing this is out there makes me furious

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It shouldn't even be that hard from a code sense to make sure the puzzle you generate is solvable, right? Isn't that mathematically known?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, slide puzzles have been a solved game for, what, decades now?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Or even failing that, any puzzle you start with them in the right order and then just move the tiles in legal moves inherently has to end up as a solvable puzzle. You already have a system for generating tiles, knowing that it's solved, and being able to move tiles, so if you just created it in the solved state and had it run through a bunch of random legal moves you'll still end up with a solvable puzzle.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
But just think about how much easier it'd be to put the numbers 1-15 in random order.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, slide puzzles have been a solved game for, what, decades now?

Try since 1879.

Well, specifically the 15 puzzle, others were later.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What makes a legal one different than an illegal one? I mean, I understand conceptually, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how someone could fundamentally break a puzzle like that.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PMush Perfect posted:

What makes a legal one different than an illegal one? I mean, I understand conceptually, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how someone could fundamentally break a puzzle like that.

Because a sliding puzzle is a representation of a physical object. Consider a rubiks cube. If you peeled the stickers off a rubik's cube and placed them randomly, you could make the cube unsolvable because the colors no longer correspond to the actual layout that the squares physically can orient into.

In the case of sliding puzzles, they're all essentially a "path" through the puzzle. If you just throw the pieces in at random, there's no guaranteed path that snakes the blank space through it and gets things into order. If you assemble the puzzle in the correct order and then randomly move the tiles according to the rules of the puzzle (no disassembly, no magic portals, whatever), then it cannot functionally end up in an unsolvable state. Throwing the tiles in at random has no rules about how the tiles get to their position.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Take a solved 15 puzzle. Swap tile 14 and 15.

There's no way to undo that by sliding.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Take a solved 15 puzzle. Swap tile 14 and 15.

There's no way to undo that by sliding.
Thank you, that's basically what I meant. Strange to think about, but interesting.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Morpheus posted:

- The beginning of the game is loving hard. Like, one-or-two-battles-before-returning hard. You might lose party members on your first fight. It gets easier as it continues (but not the bosses, gently caress those guys)

Jeez, thanks for this one. I thought I was doing something horribly wrong* my first couple trips in the dungeon, it's so tough to start out with. I think I'm geared and leveled up enough to finish the first floor now, at least.

quote:

- Don't have a party of young pre-pubescent-looking girls. Don't be that guy.

Ugh some of them are REALLY awful, too. My favorite portrait is the old lady Rover with the hawk, I named her Agatha and she keeps my back row in line.

*I mean, other than totally misreading the Custom screen and thinking I needed to get some lovely ability to 5 to unlock spells for my magic guy, that sucked until I figured it out.

E: Are the increasing costs at the Inn ever worth worrying about? It seems like it only goes up 5en a pop but I'm worried about getting careless and letting it get outta hand. It's weird, it's like every individual aspect of this game should annoy me but when it's all put together it's so strangely compelling...

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 5, 2017

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

food court bailiff posted:

E: Are the increasing costs at the Inn ever worth worrying about? It seems like it only goes up 5en a pop but I'm worried about getting careless and letting it get outta hand. It's weird, it's like every individual aspect of this game should annoy me but when it's all put together it's so strangely compelling...

Shouldn't be an issue. They're based on the highest level of your party members, so you should always have enough after even a short run into the labyrinth to pay for a night.

Oh yeah, and if you submit the map of a floor to the council, you can start there on an expedition instead of having to start at the stratus beginning. I think you just need a certain percentage of a floor explored in order to submit it.

I'd also recommend having two Ariadne threads at any given point - one to get you back, and a backup in case you forget to restock that one.

Edit: one more thing, if an enemy has multiple drops, it's not a chance thing - to get the other drop(s) you need to fulfill a specific condition, like kill them with fire or while their legs are bound or whatever. Their bestiary description should give you a clue to this, and there's also a guy in the tavern who will tell you the conditions for some of the enemies.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 6, 2017

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Anything worth noting for Yakuza 0 and/or Pillars of Etenity (Specifically as a Cipher)?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

GoneRampant posted:

Anything worth noting for Yakuza 0 and/or Pillars of Etenity (Specifically as a Cipher)?

I think the wiki pretty much covers Yakuza 0 http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Yakuza_0

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

I'd add that weapons make Mr Shakedown fights less painful. Keep your distance and peg them with a Zap Gun to build up heat, then spend it on a melee weapon's heat move. Preferably something quick, you don't want to be trying to position to get the heat prompt for a sledgehammer to appear when Mr Shakedown decides to charge at you.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Most important Pillars stuff is on the wiki as well, but our local goon Hieronymous Alloy wrote a detailed Cipher guide if you want more in-depth build advice and such.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

One thing I didn’t realize about Yakuza 0 for a long time; you can spend your year to do takedowns with weapons and it won’t (I think) reduce durability. Handy to know if you favor a style like rush that doesn’t have immediately useful things to do with heat (I think)

Something for asscreed origins: on mounts, you can have bayek automatically follow the road to your checkpoint. While this is happening, you can switch to your eagle to fly around and bayek will continue to ride on his own to your destination.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Anything good for the 3DS Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga remake? I've never played the original but it looks like there's enough tweaks across the board gameplay-wise that I've been avoiding old guides.

1) When do I get to do anything with my beans? I have so many goddamn beans.

2) Does heavy gravity... do anything?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

YggiDee posted:

Anything good for the 3DS Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga remake? I've never played the original but it looks like there's enough tweaks across the board gameplay-wise that I've been avoiding old guides.

The beans can used in the been town coffee shop to make different brews that provide stat boosts, as well as providing some good items from Professor E. Gadf. Heavy gravity slows down your jumps, making it harder to dodge some attacks.

The other thing I can think of is when you get a new bros attack, use it until you unlock the upgraded version of it. It takes just a few uses and the upgraded versions are different from the base attack, while being really no more difficult to pull off.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Probably obvious, but save obsessively whenever you see a new point, before doing anything else. If there's a save point in a weird place, there is a reason for it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

PMush Perfect posted:

Probably obvious, but save obsessively whenever you see a new point, before doing anything else. If there's a save point in a weird place, there is a reason for it.

Echoing this. Some of the bosses can be a pain in the rear end. If you can save, go for it, but I think there's a retry option after losing a fight.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Anything for Children of the Nile ?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Looking for Story of Seasons Trio of Towns tips if anyone has some. No need for general HM hints, really.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Giving has-been heroes a shot now that the expansion is out. Anything I need to know? Switch version if it matters.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

YggiDee posted:

The final boss is an absolute dumpsterfire despite the game retooling it for this version to make it morefair. Do not feel any qualms about using easy mode for that specific fight.

Almost all of luigi’s bro attacks are multitarget so be careful, a lot of boss fights punish this.

If a boss can clone themselves, destroying all clones causes them to instantly respawn, but the boss will trudge on happily with only one other clone. This doesnt really matter 90% of the time since its so easy to spot the clone, but if lugis multi attacks destroy the last clone youll feel dumb.

There are sets of armor in the game for each bro which reduces the first three hits they take to 0 damage and no status effect. There is no reason to even consider another armor unless youre getting hit a looooooooot during boss fights. This armor shows up when you get to little fungitown.

You cant beat the minion quest until you beat the main game so just put it off until you beat the game.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 12, 2017

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Ainsley McTree posted:

One thing I didn’t realize about Yakuza 0 for a long time; you can spend your year to do takedowns with weapons and it won’t (I think) reduce durability. Handy to know if you favor a style like rush that doesn’t have immediately useful things to do with heat (I think)

Something for asscreed origins: on mounts, you can have bayek automatically follow the road to your checkpoint. While this is happening, you can switch to your eagle to fly around and bayek will continue to ride on his own to your destination.

Using a heat move with a weapon does reduce its durability but only by 1 regardless of how many hits are in that move, so feel free to stab a lot of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A Real Happy Camper posted:

Using a heat move with a weapon does reduce its durability but only by 1 regardless of how many hits are in that move, so feel free to stab a lot of people

I just noticed the typo in my post (gonna blame it in autocorrect) but I’m glad the meaning came through