Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tekAf_EJ5to

Modern day Slide is the best song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's not bad, but I don't find it as catchy as the original.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Maybe its the hour I spent listening to it trying to speed across the disappearing platform. Stockholm syndrome and everything.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I know right? Just listen to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrCLBuf0Yec

Jokes aside, I told my mom that a new Mario game like 64 just came out (she loves 64) and she started humming the slide music :3: It's an extremely catchy song.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Your Computer posted:

I know right? Just listen to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrCLBuf0Yec

Jokes aside, I told my mom that a new Mario game like 64 just came out (she loves 64) and she started humming the slide music :3: It's an extremely catchy song.

Well played, you son of a bitch :golfclap:.

I quite like the Mario and Sonic Olympics version;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4226ScF5tU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kaubocks posted:

i'm up to 525 moons, this game owns

i did the loops races in the mermaid kingdom (lake?) and checked the leaderboards afterwards. apparently it can be done in under 20 seconds?? uhhh yeah ok (wtf)
:yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKfbU9BFE8Q

The first half (getting up the wall with no stairs) isn't hard, but going from the water directly to the last flower is a little trickier

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Speaking of which I was really hoping for either a slide in the castle or a red brick switch level when you looked into the sun in the castle. But Mushroom Kingdom is still cool as poo poo!

I also saw someone say that Delfino Plaza was in the game so when I got to the darker side of the moon. my heart broke a little

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKfbU9BFE8Q

The first half (getting up the wall with no stairs) isn't hard, but going from the water directly to the last flower is a little trickier

:stare:

holy loly. i didn't have any trouble getting up over the wall but yeah gently caress that, this is why i'm not a speedrunner.

unrelated post-game: how the heck to i get the bird flying around cap kingdom??? it doesn't fly near any land that i could hit it with my hat, from what i've seen. flying up to it with a goomba doesn't do anything either.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

unrelated post-game: how the heck to i get the bird flying around cap kingdom??? it doesn't fly near any land that i could hit it with my hat, from what i've seen. flying up to it with a goomba doesn't do anything either.

I haven't gotten to the post game yet, but try flying up to it with a goomba, switch to mario in mid air, and then throw your hat at it?

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

I got this one by standing on the skull and crossbones sign between the two main bridges. It's a little precarious but the bird flies directly over it and you actually have more space to move around than you think.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

holy loly. i didn't have any trouble getting up over the wall but yeah gently caress that, this is why i'm not a speedrunner.

I'm pretty sure I just bumped into this one with the goomba and it worked?? Are you sure you've hit it on the mark

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kaubocks posted:

No shame there, that guy (samura1man) has been running Mario Sunshine for years and apparently that movement transfers, I couldn't even imagine doing it that well.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

whoa

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
the ruined kingdom is

small brain: skyrim
big brain: dark souls
cosmic brain: https://youtu.be/SZNbabKjKpA

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Kaubocks posted:

You just fly into it with a Paragoomba. No need to uncap out or anything. It took me a minute or two, I thought I was hitting it but obviously wasn't. Just keep an eye on the shadows on the water.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

You just fly into it with a Paragoomba. No need to uncap out or anything. It took me a minute or two, I thought I was hitting it but obviously wasn't. Just keep an eye on the shadows on the water.

Amppelix posted:

I'm pretty sure I just bumped into this one with the goomba and it worked?? Are you sure you've hit it on the mark

huh weird. thought i was hitting it spot on, but also i was expecting it to not work in the first place so confirmation bias probably had me stop on first failed attempt. will try again. thanks!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How do you get the two Moons in the Cap Kingdom that are super high up? I don't see any way of getting up there.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

How do you get the two Moons in the Cap Kingdom that are super high up? I don't see any way of getting up there.

Frog

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Beat Darker side. Have every moon except jump rope. Extremely sick game.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

What's the last unlock for the costumes? I just hit 700 stars but didn't unlock anything new, have I got everything now?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Apparently I am an idiot.

Would somebody explain to me how to physically locate all the game's moons without blindly stumbling over them? Is there a way to make the game just tell you where they all are?

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Frankston posted:

What's the last unlock for the costumes? I just hit 700 stars but didn't unlock anything new, have I got everything now?

Yeah there's a couple that can only be unlocked via achievement (ie, Dark Side and Darker Side) but you're done with the ones that show up via moon count

GreatGreen posted:

Would somebody explain to me how to physically locate all the game's moons without blindly stumbling over them? Is there a way to make the game just tell you where they all are?

Pay the toad with glasses and he marks them on your map

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

The toad by the Odyssey in every kingdom will sell you hints for 50 coins.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

Hit up the Hint Toad, he's usually by the Odyssey (I think he's marked with a solid blue circle on the map also). There's also the parrot dude. Hint Toad gives you a map marker, though.

Sometimes blindly stumbling over them is fun, though.

Also, keep in mind that most (if not all?) of the Challenge rooms, and a lot of 8-bit sections, contain 2 moons and also purple coins. If you leave and re-enter a room, Cappy will tell you if you've gotten everything from there or not.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m at 92 coins on Metro Kingdom and I have no loving clue where the remaining ones could be. I feel I’ve search every building and puzzle room twice now.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Awesome, thanks guys!

I spoke with Toad really early on and thought "heh, I'm no cheater, I don't need to be told where the secrets are" and then just filed that character away as "ignore this guy" and 25 played hours later forgot why.

Lol I had no idea what I was saying. Like hell you don't need those hints. There are enough moons and some are so well hidden that paying for their locations is basically just another necessary cost of doing business.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 2, 2017

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zaggitz posted:

Beat Darker side. Have every moon except jump rope. Extremely sick game.

You can do it! I believe in you

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

GreatGreen posted:

Awesome, thanks guys!

I spoke with Toad really early on and thought "heh, I'm no cheater, I don't need to be told where the secrets are" and then just filed that character away as "ignore this guy" and 25 played hours later forgot why.

Lol I had no idea what I was saying. Like hell you don't need those hints. There are enough stars and some are so well hidden that paying for their locations is basically just another necessary cost of doing business.

You can use Amiibo with the Roomba next to him to get hints for free too

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah same

Once you sail past ~700 moons he becomes an outright requirement. Finding some of them later on made no sense even with his map marker

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thanks, I didn't think the Frog jumped that high, they look so far up I thought there was a hidden vine somewhere or something.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

Awesome, thanks guys!

Lol I had no idea what I was saying. Like hell you don't need those hints. There are enough stars and some are so well hidden that paying for their locations is basically just another necessary cost of doing business.

i'm more or less the same. i bought a hint once early on and was like "wooooowwwwwww it just pinpoints where the moon is? gently caress that!" and ignored him

now i'm on the post-game moon hunt and i'll use talkatoo as much as i can, but all the new moon cube moons are pinpointed and i'm getting down to like 1-2 missing moons per kingdom. i suddenly give wayyyyyyy less of a poo poo if someone gives me a more direct hint where the heck i can find "sand kingdom timer challenge 3" or whatever. thanks hint toad!

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Thanks, I didn't think the Frog jumped that high, they look so far up I thought there was a hidden vine somewhere or something.

One of them you can get with a regular jump but the one above the stack of airships you need to use the waggle jump to reach. Took me forever to figure out because my brain kept auto deleting "use motion controls to jump higher" on the frog instructions.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

i suddenly give wayyyyyyy less of a poo poo if someone gives me a more direct hint where the heck i can find "sand kingdom timer challenge 3" or whatever. thanks hint toad!

I was avoiding him because I figured it'd be like Wii-era hint mechanisms where it straight up showed you a video of how to complete a challenge

I like how pinpointed quest markers are considered a given for every modern game for years now but Mario fans are so hardened they had to paywall it behind a dunce tax

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh my goodness the (I think) last kingdom on the Moon is amazing and I haven't even gone anywhere on it yet. Low gravity Mario is good stuff. Also I found a painting earlier that went to the mushroom kingdom and I love that the moons there are stars.

Also those birds with the needle noses were tremendous fun.

Also also I just realised why the Broodals are rabbits.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Commissar Ken posted:

One of them you can get with a regular jump but the one above the stack of airships you need to use the waggle jump to reach. Took me forever to figure out because my brain kept auto deleting "use motion controls to jump higher" on the frog instructions.

There's absolutely no way of doing this without having to shake my pro controller is there?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

s.i.r.e. posted:

There's absolutely no way of doing this without having to shake my pro controller is there?

No but it's so minor of a thing to do so :shrug:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

YOU MEAN I HAVE TO MOVE MY HAND?!

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

Nah. I also realized last night that motion control moves with standard input alternatives (ie, rapid L-stick rotate into cap twirl throw) can't be executed via standard input when you're underwater etc., so there are definitely a list of movement options that can only be performed with motion controls

In other words.. you'll have to move your hand quickly at 2mph....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bef posted:

No but it's so minor of a thing to do so :shrug:

Yeah but on a controller with a ton of buttons not putting these extra motions on traditional controls is really odd especially since shaking a standard gamepad isn't fun.

• Locked thread