Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Kirios posted:

If you're willing to pay for a year of SI you can get a pretty solid deal on the covers (it's how I got the framed one):

http://subscription-assets.si.com/qa/assets/themes/magazines/SUBS/templates/velocity/site/si-2017wsc/lp.html?xid=WS17-Social_Internal

How’s it look? I was dead set on paying some exorbitant amount for an actual issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I don't have it yet but it's how I was able to place the order. If you want to wait I'll let you know... but gently caress those ebay prices. I just want the cover not the entire magazine.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Yeah a trip report would be appreciated. UGH I’ve been planning on ordering that back issue for like four months now but didn’t want to jinx anything 😩

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

we did it.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Kirios posted:

I don't have it yet but it's how I was able to place the order. If you want to wait I'll let you know... but gently caress those ebay prices. I just want the cover not the entire magazine.

GONNA ORDER THE poo poo OUT OF IT EBAY OR NOT.gently caress YEAH, ASTROS.

WILL FRAME EACH OF THE TOWELS AND CLAPPERS THAT CAME WITH ATTENDING THE GAMES.

Roger Dodger
Aug 27, 2003
You drink that drink! Alcohol has been a social lubricant for thousands of years. What do you think, you're going to sit here tonight and reinvent the wheel?
Hello all. I just....never ever post. But reading through this thread with you active Astros Pals makes my heart swell with understanding and joy. 26 year wait for me.

I work on movies and am on a project in L.A. at the moment. Got to go to Game 2...was a blast. This evening, I had to work out of my trailer while the local crew watched the game at craft services on set. After the game ended, I took a trip up to set to see some folks, dreading it.

Dead. They were all dead.

Emotionally, at least.

I saw two brand new Dodger caps in the trash. But the kindly stand-by painter came up to me with a handshake and a $20 bill to settle up on our wager.

Go 'Stros. I hope all you folks back home in the south do it big on Friday for the rest of us!

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
Houston won the championship and Detroit helped pay for it

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Got my shirts and hats this morning. Waited in line for about an hour

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Guys I just woke up

And the Astros won the World Series last night

What a world.

Also if there are still avatars going around I would love a Marwin Gonzalez one :3:

Posture Pal
Nov 22, 2007

The parade route for Friday.

Also, if there's still avatars available I'll throw in for Chris Devenski. Gotta show Devo some love :v:

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

PrinceRandom posted:

There's also team dad Beltran available

I'll take Beltran. I can relate to being the old man in the locker room right now, I've got a bunch of my son's roommates crashing in my house that got left homeless after Harvey wrecked their apartments.

Besides, still remember how drunk and angry I got after he left town to go to the Mets. It was a mancrush second to only Morgan Ensberg (wonder what he did last night).

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Keep the requests coming! I'll get the first one done tonight after I put my son to bed.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'll take McCann if no one else has. Otherwise, gimme Brad Peacock.

I also feel like I don't deserve to take your money after being such a turd yesterday, so you pick the av and I'll pay for it, or you pick your own av and I'll pay for that one.

No worries, I wasn't going to pay for them anyways, just draw them. Also, I was definitely a bit too sanctimonious about the fandom and deserved at least some of the poo poo tossed my way in game 6. My schtick only looks good now because we won :)

I was totally right about game 5 though and I honestly considered buying you an avatar of the Astros celebrating last night with "MENTALLY DEFEATED" written underneath it but then I was too happy to care

Baseball is loving great

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Intruder gotta eat the poo poo out of some disgusting was 50s food. gently caress yes

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
WE loving DID IT

Brine
Aug 3, 2007
I really wish I could have been there in person but this was absolutely worth staying up way too late on the east coast for a few weeks in a row and way better than being stuck in Memphis in 1995 surrounded by people who were very mad at Nick Anderson.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

TheChirurgeon posted:

Holy poo poo I'm so pumped right now. Starting tomorrow, I'm making Astros avatars. Pick a player and it's yours.

e: I'm only doing one of each, first-come, first-serve, and I'm claiming Verlander for myself.

I really wish my Chronicles of Reddick posts would fit as avatar text for one of you guys. Congrats, Astros fans. Sorry about that whole “cybercrime” thing. We good?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Keep the requests coming! I'll get the first one done tonight after I put my son to bed.

No worries, I wasn't going to pay for them anyways, just draw them. Also, I was definitely a bit too sanctimonious about the fandom and deserved at least some of the poo poo tossed my way in game 6. My schtick only looks good now because we won :)

I was totally right about game 5 though and I honestly considered buying you an avatar of the Astros celebrating last night with "MENTALLY DEFEATED" written underneath it but then I was too happy to care

Baseball is loving great

MENTALLY DEFEATED is absolutely going to be the title under my av

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Who is going to the parade tomorrow

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

MrMidnight posted:

I have to work :(

Also I live in Austin

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Lmao at the two hour wait in line at Academy today

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

MrMidnight posted:

I'll probably walk over

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Blitz7x posted:

Lmao at the two hour wait in line at Academy today

No line at Minute Maid.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Let's not forget about Gattis. Imagine going from being out of baseball and working as a janitor to WS champ.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'll take McCann if no one else has. Otherwise, gimme Brad Peacock.

I also feel like I don't deserve to take your money after being such a turd yesterday, so you pick the av and I'll pay for it, or you pick your own av and I'll pay for that one.

I still really can't believe this is real. I've been watching the Astros for almost 40 years and I've seen them through a lot of lean times. Even though I was happy with the Rockets' wins in 94 and 95, this is so much better.

As for av's, I'll take Peacock because I don't think anyone else took McCann. As a backup, I'll take the Ghost of Mike Scott's Comb-over Mullet.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Talked to my uncle living in Galveston today, who went to the first Astros game at the Astrodome. He was telling me that he went to try and get a WS Champions hat at the Walmart there, only to find that they had sold out at 2am, with a line stretching three blocks. Was telling me he had heard there were stands selling them on Highway 3 and was about to go give that a shot.

My mom worked for Continental when I was growing up, and later went to work for a start-up airline named Pilot that did freight. They had a deal with the astros to charter gear for the team, which meant that we (and other employees, though there were only a dozen or so working out of IAH) would get free Astros tickets on a regular basis, but would "have" to go down to the locker rooms to pick up umps'/catchers' gear after the game and take it over to the airport (said uncle also ended up working for Pilot as well and would go to games with us). I went to somewhere around two dozen games between 89 and 91 and had a pair of baseballs signed by most of the team over that time frame that got lost when we moved to Maryland a while later (I was not happy about it). Those may have been rough years for the team but I loved going to games.

Anyways that's my Astros story.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I'm still in for Bregman. Love that dude.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

No line at Minute Maid.

LOL HUGE loving LINE AT MINUTE MAID.

Orbit is out there and like 20 TV cameras. Go stros.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
My heart wants championship gear but my brain says to order it and wait

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just want to be surrounded by all the people loving the Astros all the time. Main St. last night was loving amazing.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Just wanted to point out that I've had a Charlie Morton avatar since way, way, waaay before it was cool

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

ALFbrot posted:

Just wanted to point out that I've had a Charlie Morton avatar since way, way, waaay before it was cool

My wife wants a jersey of his now.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

this is me all day today

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MrMidnight posted:

My wife wants a jersey of his now.

I'm very tempted to do a custom McGattis jersey in honor of both my beefy lads

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I will absolutely wait lol

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hm I wonder what players the Astros are losing in FA

quote:

Carlos Beltran
Francisco Liriano
Luke Gregerson
Tyler Clippard
Cameron Maybin
Rhiner Cruz
Reid Brignac

:getin:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Keep Maybin IMO. We'll probably keep Gregerson as well.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Gregerson wouldn't be bad to have at maybe half the salary and as a 7th inning guy or something

Biggest needs: DH (again), left handed relief pitching, and..... lol I can't think of any other needs. Maybe a closer and make Giles the setup guy?

Verlander/Keuchel/McCullers as the top three for an entire season is making me weak in the knees

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

Gregerson wouldn't be bad to have at maybe half the salary and as a 7th inning guy or something

Biggest needs: DH (again), left handed relief pitching, and..... lol I can't think of any other needs. Maybe a closer and make Giles the setup guy?

Verlander/Keuchel/McCullers as the top three for an entire season is making me weak in the knees

and freshly-remolded Charlie Morton behind them

:allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

I think lefty relief should be top priority, followed by a part-time DH. Gattis can DH when he's not catching. I'd keep Giles as a closer unless you find someone else, then yeah, make him a setup guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah of that list, only Gregerson and Maybin are real keep discussions, and even then only at the right price. Good place to be!

I wouldn't mind it if the Astros looked to add another starting pitcher, either. Keuchel/McCullers weren't particularly trustworthy this postseason.

• Locked thread