Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If I remember right Heyward was offered more money by the Cardinals but the Cubs included opt outs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Kershaw was pretty tough on himself after the loss. :smith:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Why do teams ever give opt out clauses. It's literally impossible for them to work out in the team's favor...

its the same reason teams offer no movement clauses or release clauses: the player is willing to take less money in salary in exchange for some more options later on. teams love saving money on salary, so

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Oh wow that is absolutely brutal :smith:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just realized something - George Springer, World Series MVP, had a Golden Sombrero in Game 1. Has that ever happened before?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh wow that is absolutely brutal :smith:

If his team could've hit a little he would've been the hero last night. 4 shutout innings on 2 days rest is no joke.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I didn't realize that Bregman was drafted as a result of the compensatory pick after Brady Aiken hit the fan, it all worked out after all

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Poque posted:

I didn't realize that Bregman was drafted as a result of the compensatory pick after Brady Aiken hit the fan, it all worked out after all

Speaking of it all worked out after all:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Brady Aiken looks awful so far too so it's even more of a great decision.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

the popes toes posted:

Speaking of it all worked out after all:

I cannot believe that whole thing is a true story, it's amazing.

Some people are just loving made to play baseball. Gattis took 4 years off from playing, then went back to college and hit .403 with 11 homers.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Not to pile misery on the Dodgers but Kershaw has an opt out after 2018 and I have to wonder if it's a ring in 2018 or bust for the Dodgers convincing Kershaw not to jump ship ring chasing. He is going to be 30 next year.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the first catch of the offseason

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/926126719785930753

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

gently caress the Angels

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Some people are just loving made to play baseball. Gattis took 4 years off from playing, then went back to college and hit .403 with 11 homers.

That was his first year back and he was drafted in the 23rd round that same year. He took 4 years off baseball came back for 1 year and was drafted, that's insane.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

the popes toes posted:

gently caress the Angels

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Off season sucks

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Poque posted:

Astros reaping the benefits of running their franchise like a sweatshop.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Astros: We're concerned about Aiken's UCL so we're pulling our offer

The World: You're full of poo poo and just being cheap assholes

Aiken: Yeah! *tears UCL*

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I just realized something - George Springer, World Series MVP, had a Golden Sombrero in Game 1. Has that ever happened before?

I figured for sure Reggie Jackson would have, but the closest he got was 3K's in Game 3 of the 1973 WS.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

That was his first year back and he was drafted in the 23rd round that same year. He took 4 years off baseball came back for 1 year and was drafted, that's insane.

It's also a great reminder that you can't tell somebody's mind state from looking at them. I mean, that seems extra dumb coming from me, who is 6' 1" and pretty gregarious and suffered from clinical depression too, but you look at a dude like Gattis and never in a million years would I think he had to check himself into a psych facility for suicidal thoughts.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm glad the Astros got Gattis a ring even though I hated the trade for him at the time

He's an adorable husky lad with a great nickname and the bat looks like a tiny stick in his hands

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
gattis looks like the kind of guy who could build a boat

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Popete posted:

Off season sucks

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Intruder posted:

Astros: We're concerned about Aiken's UCL so we're pulling our offer

The World: You're full of poo poo and just being cheap assholes

Aiken: Yeah! *tears UCL*

The Astros were so vindicated by that move that I'm surprised it still gets brought up.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

gently caress the offseason I’m gonna be so bored

I mean there’s basketball but it’s just not the same as my first love, baseball

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Carlosologist posted:

May I interest you in the glorious sport of hockey as well?

e: I wish basketball started a couple months later, namely so its playoffs would start a week or two after the NHL's does. Right now it's MLB playoffs -> Heart of the NFL season -> March Madness -> Heart of both NHL and NBA seasons -> summer doldrums until MLB starts heating up.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

You'll get to spend all winter arguing about whatever ends up happening re: Tanaka's opt-out!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Man it's really hard for me to give a gently caress about the NFL right now. i just want to get to the 2018 season right now.

Is this what being a big baseball fan is like?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Congrats Astros.

We hired Actual Elementary School Student David Stearns away from the stros to be our gm so hopefully he brought some of the magic with him.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Cubs fans...is it normal to re-watch every single highlight, post game interview for hours on end???

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm happy for guys like Beltran and the young guys like Altuve and Correa, but I think I'm happiest for Gattis. He's had a rough life and I'm sure that ring means the world to him for what it represents.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Kirios posted:

Man it's really hard for me to give a gently caress about the NFL right now. i just want to get to the 2018 season right now.

Is this what being a big baseball fan is like?

MrMidnight posted:

Cubs fans...is it normal to re-watch every single highlight, post game interview for hours on end???

Yes to both of these

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

From the what the hell department

LaRussa is a Red Sock

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/11/02/tony-la-russa-joins-the-red-sox-as-a-special-assistant/

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Offseason doldrums? NFL unwatchable? Hockey and soccer not good enough for you? I'm going to run a goon be-a-player in Out-of-the-Park 18 for anyone interested. Once I get the final kinks out of the setup worked out I'll post a signup thread, hopefully later this week. So, if you're interested start thinking about what kind of fake baseball player YOU want to be!

Poll question for anyone interested: would you all prefer to do a modern game, or historical? If historical, what era? Reminder: the farther back we go, the fewer players we can inject without breaking the game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

Offseason doldrums? NFL unwatchable? Hockey and soccer not good enough for you? I'm going to run a goon be-a-player in Out-of-the-Park 18 for anyone interested. Once I get the final kinks out of the setup worked out I'll post a signup thread, hopefully later this week. So, if you're interested start thinking about what kind of fake baseball player YOU want to be!

Poll question for anyone interested: would you all prefer to do a modern game, or historical? If historical, what era? Reminder: the farther back we go, the fewer players we can inject without breaking the game.

I'm down for this, do a modern game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Definitely modern

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

MrMidnight posted:

No. It's normal to rewatch them for months on end.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bewbies posted:

I'd vote 80s if it doesn't break the game too much. If it does then just go modern.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Yikes:

One thing I did not include in the Correa story: He revealed that he injured his right thumb in #Astros’ walkoff celebration in Game 2 ALCS.
Correa said he received numerous injections in thumb, revealing series of needle marks. Still had .866 OPS in playoffs and .817 OPS in WS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

gently caress

YES

Modern era please. Also is there a way to host the pages on an actual webserver so we can go look at stats/details without having to ask you specifically?

• Locked thread