Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
This is the best news!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Dollhouse got two seasons, right?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

quote:

While The Orville‘s ratings expectedly slipped when it moved into its regular Thursday slot, the series hung in and last week posted Thursday L+SD highs in both 18-49 (1.2) and total viewers (4.2 million).

Appropriate.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe this show got another season. I mean, I'm really really loving happy it did but I feel like I'm going to get hit by a bus on the way to work now because this happened

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tighclops posted:

I can't believe this show got another season. I mean, I'm really really loving happy it did but I feel like I'm going to get hit by a bus on the way to work now because this happened

That's what happens when you cheat death's plan

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Good to hear it has been renewed! Surprised I've enjoyed the show as much as I have.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I don't think there's anyone in this thread who expected they would enjoy the show as much as they do and for the show to end up as good as it has. It's 100% a sleeper hit and the growth numbers for the show (the fact it bounced back from the timeslot dip) are my only guess as to why Fox is renewing. They're actually treating it as a growth potential show.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah the only thing that surprised me more than liking the show my self is how all my jaded cynical nerd friends seem to be liking it too. I think it's just timed really well when we all need something a little light and optimistic.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I know that there is a bunch of Orville that is light and optimistic so trust me, I don't disagree on that matter, but whenever I see someone compliment it that way my brain immediately jumps to Krills being burned alive and that opening sequence to the social media planet episode where one guy is shot in the back and the other gets his brain fried.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

for all its humor, the orville sometimes takes things more seriously than star trek ever did

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You can have serious and heavy poo poo happen, but in the end you have a cast of characters that mostly gets along and have good motivations working on behalf of a society that's pretty ok if not outright good and nice. The show isn't awkward tension and drama turned up to 11 at all times. I mean I really enjoyed Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul but after watching a couple episodes you feel exhausted, on edge, but its really good TV so you keep going. It's like a really good but really spicy food, you just take little break and it leaves you all sweaty but you always want more because it's really loving good. Something like Orville is a comfort food, it can have some spice and flavour but it goes down easy. Sure it doesn't have the rich flavour of DS9, but it's not stale wonderbread like Voyager.

STD is a half-cooked hotdog covered in ghost pepper sauce because they don't know how to cook and are trying to mask it with spice.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Now that they're getting a second season, will they end this one on a TNG-style cliffhanger?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mister Kingdom posted:

Now that they're getting a second season, will they end this one on a TNG-style cliffhanger?

The last episode of this season was probably written a year or more ago.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

The last episode of this season was probably written a year or more ago.

And I'd be willing to bet Seth thought it would be a good move to make it a cliffhanger even not knowing if they'd be back. For leverage or just for trollish yuks

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

You can have serious and heavy poo poo happen, but in the end you have a cast of characters that mostly gets along and have good motivations working on behalf of a society that's pretty ok if not outright good and nice. The show isn't awkward tension and drama turned up to 11 at all times. I mean I really enjoyed Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul but after watching a couple episodes you feel exhausted, on edge, but its really good TV so you keep going. It's like a really good but really spicy food, you just take little break and it leaves you all sweaty but you always want more because it's really loving good. Something like Orville is a comfort food, it can have some spice and flavour but it goes down easy. Sure it doesn't have the rich flavour of DS9, but it's not stale wonderbread like Voyager.

STD is a half-cooked hotdog covered in ghost pepper sauce because they don't know how to cook and are trying to mask it with spice.

Food analogy not acceptable, please rephrase this as a beer analogy :v:

STD is basically the overhopped IPA with a bunch of alcohol from a big brewery that pretends to be a small brewery. The Orville is a nice, high quality pilsner. Tasty, and you can drink a lot of them.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 2, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In his ama he said it wouldn't be a cliffhanger but they would do it in season 2 if successful

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jazerus posted:

for all its humor, the orville sometimes takes things more seriously than star trek ever did

The surprise for me was that the show isn't structurally a comedy at all. Most of the episodes end on a down note.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Mr. Bortas....Fire."

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

zoux posted:

"Mr. Bortas....Fire."

I will not fail you.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

"Mr. Bortas....Fire."

I've been imagining something along these lines for weeks.

Whatever happened to your spacedog av?

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait for not-Q to show up and be Patrick Stewart, or the not-Borg to show up as an AI-overran IKEA franchiser gone rogue

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ISAAC AND HER KIDS oh my god yes

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

Regy Rusty posted:

ISAAC AND HER KIDS oh my god yes

Yes, this looks to be a very good setup.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The older, less intelligent one

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Regy Rusty posted:

"Would you like me to vaporize them?" Isaac is precious.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Regy Rusty posted:

He is a dick, though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I love Isaac so much

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Well my Fox affiliate just went off the air or something gently caress

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I see Isaac took landing instructions from Troi.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

"We must repair you"

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

That was honestly quite unsettling... and okay that was even worse.

Are we sure this isn't supposed to be a Halloween episode?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:lol: my channel came back just in time to have the doctor's crotch centered on the screen as she's dragged off

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

New X-Files ad during the Orville. Fox might actually know what they are doing for once.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mage_Boy posted:

New X-Files ad during the Orville. Fox might actually know what they are doing for once.

I got loving excited when I saw it during Gotham earlier!

Also hahaha Isaac is such a dick

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Space Barry Manilow!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Isaac is learning lmao

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ahahahaha cut the crap

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Isaac is learning well the ways of dealing with children (or imitation at the very least)

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

They must have implanted translators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Well there's an X-Files and Trek alum