Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
my favorite tucked away little end game secret is the beanpole levels with coins and super mario world remix music from the drat switch palaces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Manoueverable posted:

I would've absolutely lost my poo poo, moreso than the glee I already felt, if (post-game) Peach's Castle had been a 1:1 replica of Mario 64 with bonus areas or the boss rematches placed where all the levels are.

They could have just kept the boss rematches where they already are and filled out the main interior with paintings that lead to the Odyssey kingdoms. That'd provide a fully functional hub world as a post-game reward without detracting from the travel narrative during the main story

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

People saying that this game doesn't have a sufficient post game are insane in the brain

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, as cool as it is to see Peach’s Castle again, it’s kind of anemic. Mushroom Kingdom doesn’t have a lot of unique and exciting content. There’s Yoshi, the castle lobby, and that’s it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

you can jump a scooter into a toad's head

it's a good level

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, as cool as it is to see Peach’s Castle again, it’s kind of anemic. Mushroom Kingdom doesn’t have a lot of unique and exciting content. There’s Yoshi, the castle lobby, and that’s it.

Yeah there's no getting around it. Everybody goes "HOLY poo poo THIS IS THE BEST- oh wait that's it?" right when they first go in there

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Evil Eagle posted:

People saying that this game doesn't have a sufficient post game are insane in the brain

It has a significant post game, but that post game is mostly a retread of existing content, with one new unique area, two areas copying the style of a previous one and that boil down to one boss rush and one long platforming challenge, and more moons to get in the same areas. It’s not a lot of new content, just mostly more of the same. You’ve seen all the cool stuff the game has to offer once you explore Peach’s Castle.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I only had fun :(

I just wish it had music but I think they intended for you to discover the music player there

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

People like to hype up the postgame like THE REAL SMODYSSEY STARTS HERE, but it’s not that impressive.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

People like to hype up the postgame like THE REAL SMODYSSEY STARTS HERE, but it’s not that impressive.

I really did start having the most fun after beating the main story but I agree with you that I wish there was more unique content. This might be the only game I'm really hoping for DLC for

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

It has a significant post game, but that post game is mostly a retread of existing content, with one new unique area, two areas copying the style of a previous one and that boil down to one boss rush and one long platforming challenge, and more moons to get in the same areas. It’s not a lot of new content, just mostly more of the same. You’ve seen all the cool stuff the game has to offer once you explore Peach’s Castle.

Aside from the new exploration moons, every kingdom gets at least 2-3 all new challenge areas. Beyond that, the Dark Side is expanded once you beat the boss rush to include 10 new art moons and 6 challenge areas that put a harder spin on previous ones. The Mushroom Kingdom has 104 unique moons by itself (although a big portion of those are achievement based) It might not be as crazy as the green stars in Galaxy 2 or 3D world's postgame, but there is tons of new content there.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Evil Eagle posted:

Same but for the people who wish it had more fan service.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
"Postgame" is mostly just more main game content and the main game content is so fun that's really all I wanted?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Nina posted:

I only had fun :(

I just wish it had music but I think they intended for you to discover the music player there

They were reflecting on the fact that there's no music outside in sm64.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Manoueverable posted:

I would've absolutely lost my poo poo, moreso than the glee I already felt, if (post-game) Peach's Castle had been a 1:1 replica of Mario 64 with bonus areas or the boss rematches placed where all the levels are.

this is what i expected only the full levels too. should have been this, its only fitting to expect it from Super Mario 256. maybe in Super Mario 512...

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Also at some point I thought I had heard there was a Yoshi’s Island area of some sort so I’m really bummed that didn’t make it in :negative:

People were most likely talking about the Super Mario World-esque Yoshi's house, which you access from the painting in Luncheon Kingdom. When I found it and realized where I was, I spent most of the time making gleeful high pitched noises out of nostalgia.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Vikar Jerome posted:

this is what i expected only the full levels too. should have been this, its only fitting to expect it from Super Mario 256. maybe in Super Mario 512...

It would explain how Peach is able to consistently travel around without a ship in the post-game also

The ending + post-game setup practically begs for a DLC exploring that concept

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

It's obvious why this is: They don't want to put too much cool poo poo behind beating the game because most people will probably not do much besides said beating of the game. Always put your best foot forward with games. Especially ones such as this which are totally designed with a player of almost any skill level in mind. If they'd had time/resources to make more levels, they'd put them in the main game itself and not as a bonus secret unlockable thingy.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Got to the post-game. That whole last story kingdom kicked rear end. I can't believe I didn't see Bowser capturing coming. When I realised he'd lost his hat my eyes lit up.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

McDragon posted:

Got to the post-game. That whole last story kingdom kicked rear end. I can't believe I didn't see Bowser capturing coming. When I realised he'd lost his hat my eyes lit up.

Is there any hidden stuff to find during this section?

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

RCarr posted:

Is there any hidden stuff to find during this section?

Waluigi's skeleton clutching a map to the olympics

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pollyanna posted:

I mean if you're actually looking to get some challenging platforming out of the game then it does. Its not much new content but its much harder content that is more satisfying to complete.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Cobalt Viper posted:

That was a huge "wait wtf..." moment for me.

I had the opposite experience of this. I like to read the travel brochure for all the kingdoms in their entirety, and it has a section covering the Deep Woods along with a sort of nebulous photo of it, and I spent many hours trying to find it, to the point I became convinced that it was just the starting area is was what it was talking about.

It took me about post-game and 400 moons later to finally find it. :(

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Regarding the Deep Woods, gently caress that moon that has you shooting all of your coins into a plant for a few minutes. That wasn't fun at all..

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Frankston posted:

Regarding the Deep Woods, gently caress that moon that has you shooting all of your coins into a plant for a few minutes. That wasn't fun at all..

I just did that and seriously it's like 500, maybe 600 coins that I spent to get that moon. Not that money isn't easily gettable but come on!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pollyanna posted:

Also at some point I thought I had heard there was a Yoshi’s Island area of some sort so I’m really bummed that didn’t make it in :negative:

The Lost Kingdom is the YI area.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Alxprit posted:

I just did that and seriously it's like 500, maybe 600 coins that I spent to get that moon. Not that money isn't easily gettable but come on!

Ugh what's with all these pay to win games lately. How long until loot box DLC? Get a grip Nintendo.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just had a challenge where I had to collect a ton of musical notes in a really strange pattern. I ended up having to triple jump, cap dive, cap throw, twice in a row without dropping any notes. It was hard as hell but when I finally beat it, it felt amazing.

Then the moon spawned way above me. I couldn't figured out how to get up to it, then I realized there was one of those dudes with the stretchy legs nearby. I was supposed to use it to easily grab all the musical notes.

This game may be the best platformer I've ever played.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Pollyanna posted:

Says the guy who skipped Dark Side because it was too hard lmao.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lobster Harmonica posted:

I really did start having the most fun after beating the main story but I agree with you that I wish there was more unique content. This might be the only game I'm really hoping for DLC for

i want a sequel which will probably happen

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

bef posted:

i want a sequel which will probably happen

I don't want to get my hopes up but yeah that'd be loving incredible given how amazing Galaxy 2 was

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Just give me a remastered Super Mario 64 with modern controls & camera.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Frankston posted:

I think people hacked the sunshine camera into mario 64

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Frankston posted:

As doable as this would be I feel like it's the least likely thing to ever happen

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Mario 64 got remade on the DS so we're unlikely to see another one.

Mario games tend to get remade once, if at all, and then that remake sometimes gets ported around. Even then it's pretty rare

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Games old enough to be virtual console will get that instead of remakes

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

wild speculation but the mushroom kingdom feels like a hub world that got hastily bumped to the postgame for flow reasons. grinding through all the achievement moons with Toadette feels utterly painful for everybody the first time, because you have at least 15 or 20 moons to acknowledge right off the bat. it would have made sense if you started there, or returned to the mushroom kingdom early on, but as it stands its kind of out of place.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

alf_pogs posted:

wild speculation but the mushroom kingdom feels like a hub world that got hastily bumped to the postgame for flow reasons. grinding through all the achievement moons with Toadette feels utterly painful for everybody the first time, because you have at least 15 or 20 moons to acknowledge right off the bat. it would have made sense if you started there, or returned to the mushroom kingdom early on, but as it stands its kind of out of place.
It's the first thing on the map.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

I really don't doubt this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its weird to play a Mario game where defualt Mario is more mobile than Yoshi.

• Locked thread