Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oh gently caress. It's on!

And people made fun of me when I said this season would go into alternate realities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think my favorite part about that was how it was just kind of down there at the bottom of the screen barely visible for a second or two.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Dangerous Person posted:

Next week looks fuckin nuts

Is next week's episode going to be shot in a single take? Some of those angles, they looked like the kind of camera work you get when that happens.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

It could also just be a dumb internet joke, a deliberate mislabel. God knows that I've seen torrents offering gold and containing goat(se).

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Open Source Idiom posted:

Is next week's episode going to be shot in a single take? Some of those angles, they looked like the kind of camera work you get when that happens.

They did make a point to mention that lack of commercials. I could see this show being ballsy enough to pull off an entire episode in one long take

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
a minor thought, you think Darlene told the FBI about Elliot's issues/split personality?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Jesus loving Christ this show is incredible.

N
Oct 4, 2006
This space is for rent - $9.95/month no questions asked.
Crackpot theory: The whiterose plan is to artificially simulate reality with a giant computer, which will enable all kinds of simulated timeline fuckeries and resurrections.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

N posted:

Crackpot theory: The whiterose plan is to artificially simulate reality with a giant computer, which will enable all kinds of simulated timeline fuckeries and resurrections.

Oh gently caress I like this. I'd even say it's quite possible. Really fits with the show's style.

The talk with Irving: "Did White Rose show you? Do you really believe it's possible?" We're clearly getting into deep waters here.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

T-man posted:

Dom officially queer. :getin:

Also Darlene, I guess.
They're both lonely, and like to work outside the system. I could see them hooking up if not for how hilariously unprofessional that would be for an FBI agent.

N posted:

So like, everyone jacks into the Matrix?

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Tenzarin posted:

They did basically nothing with it and even if it was the other way around it would have no impact on the show.

They don't need to do anything with it at all, it was enough just have it as a thing that happened in the universe of the show. A bit of background detail regarding what the antagonists have been up to and the reach of their power. I'd be surprised if there was any follow-up to it, but who can say at this point.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

I'm stupid, what is the significance of this?

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I'm stupid, what is the significance of this?

https://www.snopes.com/sinbad-movie-shazaam/

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm dying at Dom saying she has "an off and on thing" with loving Alexa, jesus girl get it together

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

So the showrunners have a deal with snopes to make fake pages just like they did with reddit?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

So the showrunners have a deal with snopes to make fake pages just like they did with reddit?

No. There is a not-exactly-conspiracy theory, older than the show, floating around the internet that occasionally this universe intersects with parallel universes, and that's why some people remember the existence of this Shazaam movie (or of Mandela dying in the '80s, or of the Berenstain Bears being called the Berenstein Bears). The showrunners put in a little detail alluding to this theory.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
I think Whiterose has been building one or more quantum computers capable of breaking E-coin or bitcoin. First create an economic crisis so people move to ecurrency, then destroy physical records so people are fully dependent on ecurrency. Then take control by basically holding the world economy hostage.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
The writers are straight-up loving with the audience at this point and I kind of dig it

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Krazyface posted:

No. There is a not-exactly-conspiracy theory, older than the show, floating around the internet that occasionally this universe intersects with parallel universes, and that's why some people remember the existence of this Shazaam movie (or of Mandela dying in the '80s, or of the Berenstain Bears being called the Berenstein Bears). The showrunners put in a little detail alluding to this theory.

I didn't even realize that was part of a parallel universe theory. I thought it was just a funny thing people misremember/make up, like the Friends video game.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

So like, everyone jacks into the Matrix?

Why jack off to Alexa when you could jack in to Alexa?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Piriwi posted:

I think Whiterose has been building one or more quantum computers capable of breaking E-coin or bitcoin. First create an economic crisis so people move to ecurrency, then destroy physical records so people are fully dependent on ecurrency. Then take control by basically holding the world economy hostage.

This is the best, and most likely theory I've seen yet. Having money is useless when compared to controlling it's value. E-Corp can control the world's banks, control land, and even politics, but if White Rose straight up controls the value of the world's currency? That's real power.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
On the one hand I'm getting a sort of S1 of True Detective vibe, where everything that happens is grounded in reality but also kind of shrouded in a potentially supernatural element. But on the other hand, characters like Angela, Irving, and WhiteRose (basically anybody who knows what *the secret* is) are reeeeeally hard selling the implication that they're cooking up something we'd deem impossible in our current reality like people in this thread have been hinting at.

Hard to imagine now that this was originally supposed to be a movie, isn't it? In some ways it's almost harder to imagine a movie suddenly turning from standard fiction to sci-fi in its third act than it is to imagine a TV show doing so in its third season.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I get the feeling that the next episode is going to be pretty heavy and that the reason it will be aired without interruption has more to do with advertisers shying away.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
One thing that continually intrigues me is the notion of Whiterose's Stage 2 and Robot/Tyrell's Stage 2 being different things that yet serve each other. Destroying E-Corp's paper back-ups clearly ruins Price and the company, which is what Whiterose wants, but how might it factor into her plan which, as I've been hearing it, feels like some kind of test of their control over reality? They're clearly timing them to coincide, but why apart from WR enjoying synchronicity?

I'm actually reminded of Neal Stephenson's novel Anathem, whose plot revolves around the interactions between parallel universes. A group of scientists in one universe learn how to manipulate the flow of information between one universe and another, and can affect the cource of events in a given universe by using that information; they refer to this as narrative control.

But the key lynchpin is that for a person to control a universe's narrative, he needs to be able to throttle outside, contradictory information. To my point, I wonder if destroying the physical E-Corp records doesn't serve a similar purpose? E-Corp practically owns the world in the Mr. Robot universe, and a huge amount of what people know to be verifiably true-- bank records, real estate, bills and invoices, etc-- are tied up in their paperwork. What if destroying that data is instrumental in Whiterose's ability to affect some kind of existential change in their universe?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

This is the best, and most likely theory I've seen yet. Having money is useless when compared to controlling it's value. E-Corp can control the world's banks, control land, and even politics, but if White Rose straight up controls the value of the world's currency? That's real power.

This is actually a fairly plausible scenario (though highly accelerated timeline).

Basically there are two types of encryption, public key and private key. (AKA symmetric and asymmetric)

Private key (Symmetric) is the traditional kind, like when you sign onto wifi and enter a password. The password is the "private key" - everyone has the same key and anyone with the key can encrypt/decrypt.

The other kind is "public key" which allows you to do cool stuff like encrypt something for someone but only they can decrypt it.

The latter is used by Bitcoin (as well as pretty much any encryption system where you didn't enter a password - for example, like literally every banking website you use).

I'm not an expert on quantum crypto, but it's my understanding that quantum computers are especially good at factoring large primes. (Given a number, figure out which two numbers multiplied together created it)

Symmetric key encryption relies on the assumption it's easier to multiply two numbers together than to figure out which two numbers were multiplied to create a number.

So quantum computers won't break all encryption or anything like that, but they basically gently caress up a lot of the useful stuff we do with computers, since without public key crypto you have to exchange keys for every communication. (Picture having to have a strong password not just for your bank account, but for every visit to it's website AND you have to exchange that password in a secure way)

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
i love all the winks and nods to parallel universes. i still think it's misdirection, the e-coin theory i think is more plausible. Irving will say whatever Angela needs to keep her onboard with the plan, whatever it is. Although if the show takes a hard sci-fi turn, i'm okay with that too. so good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hold on, if Mr. Robot is a smoker, why doesn't Elliot have nic fits?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

T-man posted:

It could also just be a dumb internet joke, a deliberate mislabel. God knows that I've seen torrents offering gold and containing goat(se).

Dang, that's a good point. Who the hell knows what she was actually torrenting? She and hers are smarter than to torrent loving Shazaam.

PhazonLink posted:

a minor thought, you think Darlene told the FBI about Elliot's issues/split personality?

Probably not. She's too paranoid to tell them anything other than what they directly ask of her.

N posted:

I think that's less of a Crackpot Theory than actual fact. Episode 1 seemed pretty clear, there. Also, the batshit crazy crap coming out of Angela's mouth as corroboration.

e: Just read the Snopes link. That's totally bizarre. I guess Kazaam is a reasonable explanation, though.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 2, 2017

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Piriwi posted:

I would far prefer something like this to alternate universes. I haven't been liking this season very much. Season 2 went into character motivations and psychology a bit much for some people because it slowed things down too much. I enjoyed that but 3 seems so plot heavy its like it machine gunning it compared to season 1 and I don't get the motivations any more.

If you want Elliot on your side just agree to find a way to do things without killing people. He has a good track record there. If you're Elliot like Darlene said in the show why not just tip off the cops like you did in the very first episode. Angela's motivations are totally shrouded from the audience which is irritating especially when suddenly she's down with mass murder and Tyrell still makes no sense. Bobby Cannavle is trying hard in role that's basically "tell these lunatics whatever you want to keep things moving on schedule" but if you need a character for that I think its because the plot is creaking because what we or I would think are the character motivations don't point that way or not so immediately. If it does turn out to be alternative universes to me that would feel like it would just trivialize all the fear and struggle that the first 2 seasons went through and the bleakness of the reality they're fighting against.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Krazyface posted:

I had one of these recently. I could SWEAR to you that Microsoft's game console used to be branded as "X-Box" with a hyphen and capital B, and not "Xbox" like it is today, but I can find no evidence of this existing. Maybe that's just how people spelled it online around the first release? Or a promotional thing that was scrapped later? I never had one so I can't fully confirm, but I somehow clearly remember a hyphen in the branding.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sticklefifer posted:

I had one of these recently. I could SWEAR to you that Microsoft's game console used to be branded as "X-Box" with a hyphen and capital B, and not "Xbox" like it is today, but I can find no evidence of this existing. Maybe that's just how people spelled it online around the first release? Or a promotional thing that was scrapped later? I never had one so I can't fully confirm, but I somehow clearly remember a hyphen in the branding.

The one that gets me is The Thinker. Even Rodin wrote that The Thinker has a closed fist, and many other people who referred to the statue in novels or stories also refer to the "clenched" fist. But in this reality, he's not making a fist. Even though I very clearly remember a fist! There's also several references where people wrote describing the statue as crossing its legs.

:tinfoil:

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojkqs2_vJLU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

I get the feeling that the next episode is going to be pretty heavy and that the reason it will be aired without interruption has more to do with advertisers shying away.

Early reviewers were sent the first 6 episodes and episode 5 is the "one continuous shot" episode according to them. I doubt it will actually be done in one take, but the entire episode was shot like Birdman. I would imagine commercials would majorly gently caress with the pacing and tension of an episode shot this way is my guess.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

You could cheat the same way birdman does by panning to the sky on a natural break

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It really annoyed me when I noticed the breaks in Birdman - not the "pan up/sky" ones, but the ones they tried to hide in plain sight.

e: And I think Esmail is crazy enough to do "one take, for real". The film Time Code is 80 minutes and was not only shot in one take, but on four separate cameras in four different places (that occasionally intersect). It's totally doable.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Whiterose figured out they are living in a computer simulation and has been loving with the variables and constants

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fried Watermelon posted:

Whiterose figured out they are living in a computer simulation and has been loving with the variables and constants

"We can't be living in a simulation! That violates everything I know about reality!"
"And where did you learn about reality?"
"...gently caress."

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

precision posted:

Hold on, if Mr. Robot is a smoker, why doesn't Elliot have nic fits?
Elliot also smokes. In the opening scene he flicks a cig away into some trash and based on his discussion with Darlene (and the time of day) we know it's not Mr. Robot.

That opening scene was drat fun. Good use of drums slowly speeding up, made for some great tension.

...and that's all I'll say about this episode in this thread. Looking forward to the one-cut next week.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

precision posted:

It really annoyed me when I noticed the breaks in Birdman - not the "pan up/sky" ones, but the ones they tried to hide in plain sight.

e: And I think Esmail is crazy enough to do "one take, for real". The film Time Code is 80 minutes and was not only shot in one take, but on four separate cameras in four different places (that occasionally intersect). It's totally doable.

Russian Ark was one continuous shot and they made the whole movie in something like only 4 takes.

Birdman's cuts were usually whenever they turned a corner in a hallway. It would slightly pan away from the actors to match cut the natural line in the corner with the next take. Well done, but not the real deal.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
The theory of a quantum computer breaking e-coin is a cool idea but I think while if it is a part of the plan, it isn't the end goal. I think Angela literally cried when White Rose showed her whatever it was that White Rose revealed. This last episode Angela asked Irving if White Rose showed "it" to him, and Irving seemed to have almost a solemn tone when he answered "yes". It's gotta be something pretty profound and beyond just crashing all markets and creating a single currency to get those sort of reactions. Maybe some sort of parallel reality hacking machine. That's my crackpot theory for the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's the script.

• Locked thread