Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tender Bender posted:

Anyway ya'll are bitching about motion controls but what if in BOTW you could make Link climb faster by shaking the controller. Ever think about that.

it would still be extremely awkward to do while playing handheld (aka. the proper way)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

whaley posted:

I still can't get over how sloppily these huge companies are programming stuff. What the hell. I'd have to specifically go way out of my way to make a wrestling game's save be 5 gigabytes

It's easy. Full roster of CAWs, each with loads of custom uploaded images for face, tattoos, logos. Then run them all through the various game modes where they have tracked W/L records, title wins, rivalries, friendships, their standings with The Authority.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

EL BROMANCE posted:

It really has. Could the Wii U have been saved with better marketing? It simply confused too many people, and the launch wasn’t anything special. I’m glad I owned one for sure, and miss the eshop music (but not the load times for OS stuff).

The Wii U's main controller cost as much as the console itself and made porting games a chore unless the developer ignored said controller's gimmick. The Wii U was pretty hosed regardless of marketing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Someone answer this Mario Odyssey question for me with a simple yes or no: Can I possess the dragon at some point

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It also looks like a fischer price tablet that clawed its way out of the early 2000's and into our hearts

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nintendo probably would not have arrived at the Switch concept without the Wii U as an iteration along the way. The Switch is basically the result of them taking the Wii U and going "poo poo, this would work better if the guts of the system were in the Gamepad".

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Macaluso posted:

Someone answer this Mario Odyssey question for me with a simple yes or no: Can I possess the dragon at some point

No

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

And you people have the audacity to call this game of the year

edit: Bowser has uh... changed up his look a bit for his castle

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Supercar Gautier posted:

Nintendo probably would not have arrived at the Switch concept without the Wii U as an iteration along the way. The Switch is basically the result of them taking the Wii U and going "poo poo, this would work better if the guts of the system were in the Gamepad".

Also that screen wasn't really great...I'm so happy the switch has a passable screen

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

:getin:

Easily the best castle he has ever had.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Yes

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Ventana posted:

Imo the Wii U was still cool and had good games. Switch is better but I don't think of the Wii U as much of a down

Nah I loved it, it was just palpable how not-popular it was for the entire duration of its run. Seeing switch consistently outsell PS/Xbox (and get lots of third party support year one) is weird as gently caress to me

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I honestly think the Wii U has an incredibly good library of games, but its undeniable that it didn't sell well. Its ultimately a good thing that Nintendo has dropped it and hopefully they will port more Wii U games onto the switch or give them proper sequels.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The only games I really want ported are XcX, Smash (which will happen at some point) and Captain Toad. Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 as well probably.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Zore posted:

The only games I really want ported are XcX, Smash (which will happen at some point) and Captain Toad. Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 as well probably.

I want them to port DKC Tropical Freeze but mainly just because it bothers me how many people missed out on it

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Yoshi's Woolly World, DKC Tropical Freeze and Captain Toad all deserve a bit more love. be good to get some ports of 'em. bizarrely I played more Game + Wario on the Wii U than anything else - it was the go-to for drunk social party times, playing stupid Pictionary and Fronks till the small hours

(on the WarioWare franchise: i really think WarioWare DIY was underrated thanks to bad online systems at the time. i think if you were to combine Mario Maker's online structure with WarioWare, then release it to take advantage of Switch multiplayer, you would have the best drunk party game of all time.)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Port everything over. Especially TMS.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

irlZaphod posted:

Ok grandpa.

I will happily die on the hill of Social Media being a hellish pit of hitler :corsair:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Bowser has really good hair in Odyssey.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Port everything over. Especially TMS.
Yeah seriously completely clear out the WiiU's library and make the Switch all I need.

Also I buckled and bought Odyssey. I guess I'll throw my hat at things or something once it gets done downloading?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

bowser should just have his pimp suit as his default look from now on

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Macaluso posted:

And you people have the audacity to call this game of the year

It's GotY tell me again when you are in post game that it's not GotY.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also I buckled and bought Odyssey. I guess I'll throw my hat at things or something once it gets done downloading?

Probably a misstep on your part, I've heard nothing but terrible things about that lovely game

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i love pimp-rear end bowser but honestly 3D World still has the best bowser form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5Mk3LTyIkQ

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

This fight against the Broodles mech is next level :discourse:

edit: It's weird that I'm like "holy poo poo I'm on the loving moon!" as if there weren't TWO games where you flew around the universe on a spacehship

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 3, 2017

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any way to turn off the lame ez-mode bumpers in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? It's practically impossible to fall off the track.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

bango skank posted:

Is there any way to turn off the lame ez-mode bumpers in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? It's practically impossible to fall off the track.

do you have auto-steering turned on? sometimes its set to default on

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I've only just updated Odyssey as I've had some downtime in Japan and after the 1.0.1 update, every time I start Odyssey now my fan spins up yo 100% unless I put the unit into sleep and back. Even then it only works like 50% of the time.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Macaluso posted:

This fight against the Broodles mech is next level :discourse:

edit: It's weird that I'm like "holy poo poo I'm on the loving moon!" as if there weren't TWO games where you flew around the universe on a spacehship

What makes it even more surreal is when you realize wtf, I'm an Italian plumber with an animatronic hat crashing a giant turtle's wedding on the moon and it doesn't really stop there.

My roommate has been playing Odyssey on my Switch for twelve motherfucking hours straight today and she's made it to New Donk City in one sitting. Nah it's cool I didn't want to play today or nothin

enojy fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 3, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

enojy posted:

What makes it even more surreal is when you realize wtf, I'm an Italian plumber with an animatronic hat crashing a giant turtle's wedding on the moon and it doesn't really stop there.

My roommate has been playing Odyssey on my Switch for twelve motherfucking hours straight today and has gotten to New Donkey City in one sitting. Nah it's cool I didn't want to play today or nothin

Tell that deadass to get his own.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

enojy posted:

My roommate has been playing Odyssey on my Switch for twelve motherfucking hours straight today and she's made it to New Donk City in one sitting. Nah it's cool I didn't want to play today or nothin

sounds like your roommate is cruising for a rent hike

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

This underground portion of the moon is loving obnoxious. Can I get at least ONE checkpoint halfway through this good lord

edit: Oh nevermind there actually is a non-flag checkpoint system here

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Bloop posted:

SMO post-game question since I haven't caught up with that thread yet.
How do I get on top of Peach's castle? Is there a frog or something that I'm missing?
Very carefully.

DanZX
May 5, 2015

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

bowser should just have his pimp suit as his default look from now on

If I can’t make Bowser wear his suit in the next Smash Nintendo is dead to me

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I have decided that Mario Odyssey owns hard, but Breath of the Wild still owns harder. Sorry Mario, maybe next year.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Hey stupid question, Amazon appears to have Axiom Verge as a physical cart on Switch being released mid-November. I thought it was a digital-only release on Switch, is it going to be one of those Switch indie games that's getting a boxed release for some reason?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Hey stupid question, Amazon appears to have Axiom Verge as a physical cart on Switch being released mid-November. I thought it was a digital-only release on Switch, is it going to be one of those Switch indie games that's getting a boxed release for some reason?

yep; the physical version is already out at EB here in australia

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
How long do sales usually last? I was gonna buy treasure trove the other night but decided to wait til morning and boom it's over.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

enojy posted:

Sharing games with people is cool. I'm glad they are getting to experience something they might no have tried on their own :)

PantsBandit posted:

I have decided that Mario Odyssey owns hard, but Breath of the Wild still owns harder. Sorry Mario, maybe next year.

I'm not in the business of comparing two extremely different games to find which one is "better", but BotW impresses me more because it took a franchise that was really limping along and revitalized it. 3D World might not have been that great but Mario has never really fallen to the low point Zelda was at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Walking into the wedding with all of the various worlds' inhabitants with serene wedding music playing while Bowser tries to get a giant ring on Peach is one of the more absurd things I feel like I've seen in a Mario game

• Locked thread