Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

well if you really want to torture people, all of the restaurants would be applebees

"We're testing a new neighborhood out. We're calling it The Even Worse Place."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What if the points system is only used by the bad place to figure out what tier of bad place you belong to, while the real good place doesn't use points and selects people fairly (or as fairly as you can possibly get in a system that relies on eternal punishment)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

(other than as a joke).

Ding ding we have a winner

The points system is a guideline that only exists to show that good deeds equal good people and vice versa in the show's universe, and any weird values like "French are automatically bad" exist because the writers come up with a good joke. Got a bunch of Chidis up in this thread trying to figure out a deep mystery behind the point joke delivery system.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 2, 2017

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I honestly think where they are all going with this is an allegory of the prison system and rehabilitation vs punishment. The people sent to the bad place accidentally become good people and when this is discovered by those in charge of EVERYTHING the whole system is entirely thrown for a loop. In the end, Michael accidentally created rehabilitation, and he himself will be made human given the opportunity to go through rehabilitation as a reward.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Better. The give Michael the opportunity to design a real Good Place neighborhood, because he's so good at making situations that continue to benefit people. This goes off the rails when it turns out that a bunch of people in the good place just had really cushy lives and never had to deal with much adversity, so they start acting like assholes as soon as Michael's good place has some inconveniences.

This leads the the creation of a single place for both good and bad people, designed to have good people help bad people become good. Which is already what's happening.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Snak are you a writer for the show or what because drat

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

We had an assistant named Snak. One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'You know that guy (Doug Forcett) who figured out the afterlife system? 'Yeah?' 'Well,' said Snak, 'doesn't it make sense that he'd die eventually and end up in the Good Place? Where else is he going to go?' 'You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.' 'And what if they were so impressed with his ideas that they put him in charge of designing a morality framework, and he's the one who came up with the point system?' This year, Snak is a writer on the show.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Everyone moves to the Medium Place, Mindy St. Claire is placed in charge of all humanity.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Klungar posted:

Everyone moves to the Medium Place, Mindy St. Claire is placed in charge of all humanity.

but is there cocaine?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

TwoPair posted:

Ding ding we have a winner

The points system is a guideline that only exists to show that good deeds equal good people and vice versa in the show's universe, and any weird values like "French are automatically bad" exist because the writers come up with a good joke. Got a bunch of Chidis up in this thread trying to figure out a deep mystery behind the point joke delivery system.

Nah.

The point of the joke is that it illustrates the system is unfair. It works to advance the plot because Michael's saying "I don't have to think about the ethics of Les Miz because I know they're all going to hell anyway", and using such an arbitrary example makes you think the assumptions of the good place/bad place system should be questioned.

Like it's not really a mystery, but it's also not just a joke. The joke is funnier in the context of the plot, and the plot's point is sharper because it's got jokes. Writing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, it's not like we haven't had the rug pulled out from under us before. A lot of stuff seemed throwaway in s1 but was actually foreshadowing for the twist.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

we had explicit author comments that there's no big twist planned for season 2.

Of course, they would say that :tinfoil:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/KenTremendous/status/926102312078131201
https://twitter.com/cordjefferson/status/926113529303670784

The writers are not pulling their punches about the mid season split.
edit: Ken Tremendous = Michael Schur.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

double nine posted:

we had explicit author comments that there's no big twist planned for season 2.

Of course, they would say that :tinfoil:

That just means they're not paying anything off this season; they could be planning a twist for next season that they're just planting seeds for now.

This show makes me kind of paranoid. :tinfoil:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

gently caress

And that's the end until next year!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

We have to wait two months whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :negative:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

We have to wait two months whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :negative:

No fair :(

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"What if the reason you want to murder someone is to make your life easier?" :v:

Micheal was hilarious tonight. *wink*

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I hate cliffhangers but love this show. Averages out to, "hmmmm."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
gently caress THIS GODDAMN CLIFFHANGER :argh:

Holy poo poo I need to see the next episode right now

Lucania
May 1, 2009
Of course Eleanor's idea of a perfect mate is "Stone Cold Steve Austin's head on Tahani's body" or the reverse of that.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lucania posted:

Of course Eleanor's idea of a perfect mate is "Stone Cold Steve Austin's head on Tahani's body" or the reverse of that.

Would

That's the stuff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They really should try and get him.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

gently caress THIS GODDAMN CLIFFHANGER :argh:

Holy poo poo I need to see the next episode right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9U4C2j9d6c

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Tahani's version of Jason's version of croquet killed me.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

"Sometimes it's candles!"

Cracked me up way more than it should have.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jenstatsky/status/926329841888108544

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

They really should try and get him.

Failing that, they should get any other wrestler just to further cement that this is the Bad Place. Eleanor can hang out with the whole WWE, but never the man of her dreams.

Nevvy Z posted:

Would

That's the stuff.

Dead links, bud.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 3, 2017

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Superrodan posted:

I honestly think where they are all going with this is an allegory of the prison system and rehabilitation vs punishment. The people sent to the bad place accidentally become good people and when this is discovered by those in charge of EVERYTHING the whole system is entirely thrown for a loop. In the end, Michael accidentally created rehabilitation, and he himself will be made human given the opportunity to go through rehabilitation as a reward.

Guys it was purgatory the whole time! :lost:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

If they go trans, they get a pass. Then the academy can feel better about giving awards to women

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Goddamn it that was the best episode of the season, I hate football :mad:

Jason's vows were the best. "Don't eat everything that smells good, because sometimes it's candles."

precision fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 3, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

If they go trans, they get a pass. Then the academy can feel better about giving awards to women
:chloe:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rocksicles posted:

uhhhh :yikes:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i want to get offended but i can't even follow that chain of logic
its like you wanted to mention three topics and just threw a sentence together that string them together

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think it was just a poorly constructed joke. Rocksicles smokes more weed than I do, I think.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Snooze Cruise posted:

i can't even follow that chain of logic
(Cis) men are persona non grata in hollywood. The only “men” who will survive in the industry will be those who transition to being women. As a side benefit, traditionally sexist academy voters will feel more comfortable in awarding women.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wink.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

What does that comment even have to do anything

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
People were sharing tweets from the crew of The Good Place, one of which joked that, by the time The Good Place resumes airing two months from now, there will be six men left in hollywood, presumably due to all the sex no-nos which are taking down said hollywood men. That is what that comment even had to do with anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That was a great finale, but possibly the tamest cliffhanger possible. Not that that's a bad thing, but just... the least unexpected thing possible.

• Locked thread