Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Hillbilly Jim ruled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

One of the best illustrators of the idea of the past as a foreign country is previous generations strange obsession with hillbillies.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

remusclaw posted:

One of the best illustrators of the idea of the past as a foreign country is previous generations strange obsession with hillbillies.

I can tell somebody hasn't ever gone into a remote town in the south with a population of 42 who all have the same last name.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I remember at a certain point they trot Hillbilly Jim out (like 20 years after this, so I feel safe from spoilers), and he looked more or less like he did in the 80s. To the point it was weirding out everyone I was watching it with

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

frankenfreak posted:

That would be their feud in Mid-South, right?

Yep. Hard to believe it, but there was a time when Jim Duggan was very well loved by Observer readers.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

I remember at a certain point they trot Hillbilly Jim out (like 20 years after this, so I feel safe from spoilers), and he looked more or less like he did in the 80s. To the point it was weirding out everyone I was watching it with

Wrestlemania X7 in the Gimmick Battle Royale?

(I'm pretty sure Rarity has seen X7 so this probably doesn't need a spoiler either.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God I remember that Hart Foundation vs Brainbusters match ruling a whole bunch. Glad to see my memory was accurate.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Hoss Corncave posted:

Wrestlemania X7 in the Gimmick Battle Royale?

(I'm pretty sure Rarity has seen X7 so this probably doesn't need a spoiler either.)

That was great because everyone else was a giant, fatbodied mess and hillbilly jim was just happy and fit. He was also the sanest and most sober person on legends house.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Dang I hope we get a full-on Hillbillies vs Bushwhackers slobberknocker!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Three of them. Hillbilly Jim, Uncle Elmer, and Cousin Luke.

There was more than 3 of them. There was Cousin Junior also.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gaz-L posted:

Does Dave even know what Most Overrated is supposed to mean?

Dave has always maintained that Most Overrated/Most Underrated should be "Most overpushed/Most underpushed"

btw Best Heel/Best Face were replaced with Best Draw because according to Dave the criterion was supposed to be "best heel/face at drawing crowds" and people were just judging it on promos.

e) and yeah, until like 1998 virtually any year Hulk won Most Overrated was moronic. Say what you want about Hulk but WWF (and even WCW for a while) wasn't wrong to make them their top star.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
The over pushed and under pushed stuff also took into account the wrestlers abilities as well.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Zombie Mean Gene makes his first appearance of the night as he stands in the back with – oh hey, I was right – Dusty Rhodes.

quote:

INTRODUCING...

He's just a common man! Working with his hands! And that's really all I know about Dusty, he had a rad theme tune and he wrestled in polka dots. But that's just the gimmick Vince gave him, Dusty himself I basically don't know at all. Of course, I'm very familiar with the next generation of the Rhodes family and Cody in particular I have so much love for so I wonder if that will be extended to their dad. In all honesty though, I have a feeling that it won't be. Just looking at Dusty he's a big fat guy and I do know that his finisher is just an elbow drop so I'm expecting Hulk Hogan levels of workrate here. At best. Yes, I realise I'm coming into this one with low expectations but I would still really love to be surprised.

Anyway, Dusty gives us a little promo about his opponent tonight. He says he's going to dance circles around him and he promises excitement galore as he kicks some booty. When he talks he sounds like he's recovering from a stroke, it's quite strange. But then I suppose this is the guy who birthed Goldust and Stardust so I shouldn't really be surprised.

The Honky Tonk Man w/ Jimmy Hart vs. Dusty Rhodes

So Dusty's first major opponent on the timeline is going to be Honky and this is not a combination that I expect a lot out of that. Dusty walks out to that amazing theme and he's a-dancing and a-waving and the fans are totally into him. He's wearing a cop hat and a nightstick and the polka dot singlet, he looks like a Chippendale that's gone to seed but can't let go of the dream. He gets into the ring and gives the crowd a little strut and then also a bum wiggle. Ew, Dusty. Put it away. Meanwhile, Honky's been so kind as to give us a bonus edition of...

Honky still can't get over Peggy Sue :(

They kick things off with a whole bunch of stalling and taunting, all the usual palaver. Dusty manages to get in close and he... rustles Honky's hair. Seriously? Is this it? Is this what Dusty is? A funny fat man who just wants to make his opponent's feel uncomfortable? This isn't a wrestler, this is a court jester. And I'm not saying comedy doesn't belong in wrestling. Comedy absolutely belongs. It just can't come at the expense of your workers' legitimacy.

Meanwhile, Schiavone weighs in on the polka dot debate on the side of 'Yes'. I think I currently sit on the side of 'Who Cares?'. Jesse says that Dusty entered a Mr. America contest and won 'Most Abs', which is a fantastic line right up until the point where he has to clarify it. Don't over-explain the joke, Jesse! Jimmy tries to get involved so Dusty chases him and he drops the megaphone. Honky picks it up and blasts Dusty right in the gut with it but fair play to Dusty, he kicks out. That's the first time anyone's managed to kick out of a megaphone hit! I suppose he's got so much flab it cushioned the blow.

Dusty, hearing that catering's put out extra bacon

The rhythm slows as they settle into a series of long rest holds that seem designed purely to fill time as we wait for the finish. I say this because after a few minutes of this it's the very next spot of the match. Honky pushes Dusty off him and he goes flying right into the referee. Spotting the ref's down, Honky grabs Dusty and calls out to Jimmy for some assistance. Jimmy grabs the guitar and takes a swing but Dusty ducks and the guitar rocks Honky hard. Dusty follows up with the Bionic Elbow to put this one to rest.

This match was weird more than anything else. I feel like it was booked more to get Dusty's character over than anything else and seeing as that character really isn't clicking for me I'm not going to feel it. On reflection I guess my issues here are the same as my issues with Hacksaw. He plays it so over the top that he comes across like a cartoon and it makes it impossible for me to buy him as a genuine person. It's an immersion killer.

Jimmy helps Honky up the aisle where they are accosted by Sean Mooney. He asks Honky about the match but Honky's so delirious he thinks he thinks he's with Prescott Presley at a concert and asks to be taken to the stage. Haha, now that's how you do comedy in wrestling.

I realise a lot of you may be mad at me for how much criticism I've given Dusty in this review. To make it up for you, have a poster I found of Dusty helping out America's youth with a Public Service Announcement.

That's not what he meant by 'working with his hands'

Back to the interview room where Zombie Mean Gene is with the unlikely combination of Demolition and Hacksaw Jim Duggan. I'm clearly not the only one who finds this a bit of a strange matching because Hacksaw is trying to fit in with a gimp mask of his own. He's also somewhere in the interim wound up with the King gimmick so gently caress knows what's happened to Haku. You'd think this would be the last gimmick Hacksaw would ever take on. After all, America made it's name by rejecting the monarchy. But take it on he has and in a beautiful touch the 2x4 has got a tiny crown of its own. Ok, that's brilliant.

There is an interview going on here as well, I promise. Ax says that to prepare for their match tonight they've gone back to basics, which is funny because I don't think they've ever left them. Smash adds that Demolition have trained Hacksaw to destroy, attack and destroy. Now he's even more like America!

...and Ax botches a thumbs up. Godammit Ax, you're the loving worst.

Curt Hennig vs. The Red Rooster

Oh man, seriously? Do you really have to do this? There's no need to involve Hennig with this. There are so many better things he could be doing for you guys. He doesn't even get an entrance! We just cut back to the ring and he's already standing there like a jobber. Show the man some drat respect. Even Rooster is getting a theme and an entrance pop these days, the least you could do is give Hennig the same. Ugh. Hennig does have the chewing gum though so we're getting there.

Hennig opens things up with a big big hiptoss and then he struts around taking the piss out of Rooster's headbob. Thank gently caress someone acknowledges that that's idiotic. Rooster lifts Hennig up for a body slam but he can't hold him and Hennig just drops down on top of him as if its Ryback lifting Mark Henry. I think that was Rooster shoot not being able to lift Hennig's weight.

YOU NEED A FORKLIFT TRUCK TO HEFT MY CARCASS, BOY!

With the match firmly in control Hennig connects with a beautiful standing dropkick that gets serious praise from Schiavone. That was sexy as hell. They brawl to the outside for a few moments then come back in the ring where Hennig instantly hits the Perfectplex to get the win. Well, I guess if you're going to put Hennig against Rooster than at least you made it clear Hennig was on another level.

It's barely worth commenting on this one because it was a totally nothing match. What I will talk about is how much they're wasting Hennig at this point. He's been in the company for close to a year now and despite always looking good with what little he's been given he's been sidelined so much. This is someone who could be stealing the show. Hell, he's managed to get me fully on board just from these last few PPVs. Maybe start by putting him in matches with people who aren't colours. At this point I fully expect his next feud to be with Bad News Brown.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dusty Rhodes is probably my favorite wrestler of all time. Of course, I'm from Florida, and he ruled this state, once upon a time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Dusty's gimmick in the WWF is kind of intentionally cartoonish and mid-card-y, in one of Vince's counter-productive attempts to get his 'self-made' stars over at the expense of humiliating his 'competition', despite only being able to do the latter because the 'competition' now work for him.

That the polka-dots are remembered as anything other than an insult is a testament to Dusty's commitment to putting 100% behind it. But even in the NWA, he was never a phenomenal technical grappler.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, Dusty's gimmick in the WWF is kind of intentionally cartoonish and mid-card-y, in one of Vince's counter-productive attempts to get his 'self-made' stars over at the expense of humiliating his 'competition', despite only being able to do the latter because the 'competition' now work for him.

That the polka-dots are remembered as anything other than an insult is a testament to Dusty's commitment to putting 100% behind it. But even in the NWA, he was never a phenomenal technical grappler.

Dusty knew what to do, just didn't look that good doing it. It didn't matter, though, he was one of the most charismatic wrestlers ever, and cut the greatest promo of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9py4aMK3aIU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Also probably the second best while he was at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGG1QGU1VEg

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeathChicken posted:

Also probably the second best while he was at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGG1QGU1VEg

Yes!

Man, people wonder how this fat, nonathletic guy was so over

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Short, brief, but one of my favorite Dusty promos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcH3B-EbeJA&t=60s

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Sorry guys, I'm sticking to this one. Dusty bad :colbert:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

You are objectively wrong. Mods, ban this filth.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

goddamn rarity just went and turned heel on us

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dustin is better than Dusty.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
^^^ Agreed, although Cody is better than both

I don't care how good a promo you are, if you're a wrestler than at some point you're going to have to step between the ropes and wrestle and when that comes I expect a minimal level of ability in the ring. I don't need to be blown away but you've got to be at least Randy Orton-level. You might have noticed this from my comments on Hulk, Hacksaw and Demolition to name the most obvious ones. And from what I've seen, Dusty hasn't got it.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
I love Dusty promos but I completely understand why someone wouldn't.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol technical wrestling has never drew money, which is why Hulk Hogan is who he is, and why Lance Storm is who he is.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dustin is better than Cody but his best stuff was in zero-money 1992-93 WCW and as a tag team partner with Cody, and the middle part of his career is either gimmicky nonsense like Dusty or total garbage.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Randaconda posted:

Lol technical wrestling has never drew money, which is why Hulk Hogan is who he is, and why Lance Storm is who he is.

Technical wrestling drew insane amounts of money in the 20th century.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Randaconda posted:

I'm not saying what I think makes a popular wrestler, I'm saying what makes a wrestler I like.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

^^^ Agreed, although Cody is better than both

I don't care how good a promo you are, if you're a wrestler than at some point you're going to have to step between the ropes and wrestle and when that comes I expect a minimal level of ability in the ring. I don't need to be blown away but you've got to be at least Randy Orton-level. You might have noticed this from my comments on Hulk, Hacksaw and Demolition to name the most obvious ones. And from what I've seen, Dusty hasn't got it.

I think there is a line to be drawn here between knowing what kind of wrestling you like, and what is 'good'. Dusty is, in fact, decent at the style he works. Basically, remember that you thought Savage/Steamboat was 'pretty good', and then remember that was a 5 star classic at the time.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can't judge wrestling from a different era by the standards of today, especially since every territory's fans expected different things.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Randaconda posted:

You can't judge wrestling from a different era by the standards of today, especially since every territory's fans expected different things.

You actually are allowed to say you like and dislike things for reasons

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Junpei Hyde posted:

You actually are allowed to say you like and dislike things for reasons

Yes, and people are allowed to disagree, especially absurd claims such as this.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Randaconda posted:

You can't judge wrestling from a different era by the standards of today

you're gonna eat these words

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The WWF was the rear end end of Dusty's career, it's OK to not be that impressed.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Randaconda posted:

Yes, and people are allowed to disagree, especially absurd claims such as this.

"I dont like a particular era of wrestling due to the in ring action not being my thing" is truly ridiculous

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

sean10mm posted:

The WWF was the rear end end of Dusty's career, it's OK to not be that impressed.

Yeah, WWF Dusty is only notable for Vince being petty as all gently caress and Dusty still managing to spin some gold out of it. But Dusty's one of the best pure babyfaces of all time and it's based on his ability to connect to the fans (especially minorities, to the detriment of actual minorities in the business) and talk them into the building. Besides, when you've got Ric Flair opposite of you, you let Flair do the wrestling for both of you, just bleed and sell.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I would argue that when one guy is responsible for what (I feel) are probably the two best wrestling promos ever, it transcends loving workrate :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, Dusty is kinda like The Rock (and this is my Hot Take) in that neither were above 'pretty good' in the ring, but their character, charisma and promos were good enough to make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!

Rarity posted:

Terry Funk agrees! :v: