Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not in the business of comparing two extremely different games to find which one is "better", but BotW impresses me more because it took a franchise that was really limping along and revitalized it. 3D World might not have been that great but Mario has never really fallen to the low point Zelda was at.

What are you talking about? Famous gaming magazine Famitsu awarded The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword a perfect 40 out of 40 score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
It's cool that BotW and Odyssey took completely different paths to get where they are but both games are hugely successful reinventions of their respective series.

E: the Switch owns

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

So New Donk City is really good.
Ended up getting 32 moons before deciding to move on.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Sharing games with people is cool. I'm glad they are getting to experience something they might no have tried on their own :)

I'm not in the business of comparing two extremely different games to find which one is "better", but BotW impresses me more because it took a franchise that was really limping along and revitalized it. 3D World might not have been that great but Mario has never really fallen to the low point Zelda was at.

Actually, playing videogames for 12 hours is bad

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lobster Harmonica posted:

What are you talking about? Famous gaming magazine Famitsu awarded The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword a perfect 40 out of 40 score.

I actually think Skyward Sword isn't even a bad game. It has a lot of good ideas in it and I'd rate it over Twilight Princess easily, so its not even the worst modern Zelda. It just sold like trash and made Nintendo realize they really needed to reinvent the series to get it to sell well again.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I'm the insane person who likes Twilight Princess (HD) a lot, thought it did 'Zelda Weird' better than any of the games since Majora

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
MARIO ODYSSEY KICKS rear end

Can I play as Bowser ALL the time? This loving rules

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Macaluso posted:

Walking into the wedding with all of the various worlds' inhabitants with serene wedding music playing while Bowser tries to get a giant ring on Peach is one of the more absurd things I feel like I've seen in a Mario game

Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars had a bunch of really absurd stuff going on. Basically any scene with Booster.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

pixaal posted:

Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars had a bunch of really absurd stuff going on. Basically any scene with Booster.

Weirdly enough it had a really similar wedding scene in it. Got a lot of flashbacks to SMRPG from Odyssey in general

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you start counting the RPGs then the level for weirdness goes through the roof. Like the part in Super Paper Mario that puts Peach into a dating sim with an otaku lizard.

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Weirdly enough it had a really similar wedding scene in it. Got a lot of flashbacks to SMRPG from Odyssey in general

Honestly I think Nintendo missed a big opportunity by not having another wedding cake boss.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The music that plays during a part of this segment :psyduck: I am blown away right now

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Macaluso posted:

The music that plays during a part of this segment :psyduck: I am blown away right now

the real mario odyssey starts shortly after this

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Macaluso posted:

I can't wait for your reaction to the stage that unlocks at 250 moons, I think, its the first one, well after the freebee post credits

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

That ending was INCREDIBLE jesus CHRIST

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Kaewan posted:

How long do sales usually last? I was gonna buy treasure trove the other night but decided to wait til morning and boom it's over.

if that's shovel knight, it was listed on news as being a halloween sale from 24th-2nd

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Macaluso posted:

That ending was INCREDIBLE jesus CHRIST

"There-there, Bowser... she turned me down too :sigh:"

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Is the Nyko dock any good? Or do we have a good cheap alternative yet?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Macaluso posted:

Walking into the wedding with all of the various worlds' inhabitants with serene wedding music playing while Bowser tries to get a giant ring on Peach is one of the more absurd things I feel like I've seen in a Mario game

Of all the things he stole who was going to officiate? how'd he forget that part?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Of all the things he stole who was going to officiate? how'd he forget that part?

The Broodals provide that service.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

That a remotely accurate Tyrannosaurus Rex is actually in a Mario is more than enough to say that this Mario game is something else

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm confused about the purpose of being able to buy 10 moons at a time from the shops post game, infinitely

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I used my joycons today for the first time since buying the switch on release day and turns out the left one has that awful, awful lag problem. That’s not a thing that’s fixed by getting new joycons right? I have to send my entire unit to Nintendo right?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I used my joycons today for the first time since buying the switch on release day and turns out the left one has that awful, awful lag problem. That’s not a thing that’s fixed by getting new joycons right? I have to send my entire unit to Nintendo right?

I've been having this problem too, except only sometimes. When I reboot the Switch sometimes the remotes seem to fix themselves. But mainly I think there's something interfering with it

*However yea the Switch Joy-Cons at launch were poo poo unless you live in a shoebox, and the warranty would be gone by now. But you can still ask if you can send them in for free repair because you're just opening them as if they're brand new and they should work

Spellman fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 3, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Macaluso posted:

I'm confused about the purpose of being able to buy 10 moons at a time from the shops post game, infinitely

Sounds like they are there for completionists who don't want to actually complete the game? Idk I like this new trend of subtly poking fun at completionists (like Nier letting you buy achievements lol)

Anyways the capture mechanic is so good. Anyone else think it is implemented extremely similarly to Wario's "powers"/afflictions in Wario Land 3? I can see why people were afraid of the mechanic "taking over" the game but, just like in WL3, you're still relying on your main moveset most of the time and the alterations are for specifically designed (and very fun) areas or obstacles

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Anyways the capture mechanic is so good. Anyone else think it is implemented extremely similarly to Wario's "powers"/afflictions in Wario Land 3? I can see why people were afraid of the mechanic "taking over" the game but, just like in WL3, you're still relying on your main moveset most of the time and the alterations are for specifically designed (and very fun) areas or obstacles

i keep thinking of the 'wall' mechanic from zelda: link between worlds.

in that, and SMO, the main gimmick mechanic could have been really obtrusive, unfriendly and super annoying to use. but instead it is so slick and fun, easy to quick to do, that it never breaks momentum or feels out of place.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Macaluso posted:

There's a bonus thing if you max out the moon counter but there aren't enough collectible moons to get you there.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Macaluso posted:

They do two things:
-let you unlock the postgame 500 moon world/600 or whatever moon clothes in the shop without having to find that many in the overworld (though there are that many)
-let you inflate your count past the 860 in the game to 999 which actually does cause a very small thing to change

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

pixaal posted:

I can't wait for your reaction to the stage that unlocks at 250 moons, I think, its the first one, well after the freebee post credits

My reaction to this one is uhh... annoyance? This world is annoying. The last thing I wanted to do was to have a boss rush of the Broodles, and with anti-gravity to make jumping on their heads a pain in the rear end. Are there actually some like... good worlds that unlock post game or

edit: besides the cool freebie one after beating the game

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Macaluso posted:

My reaction to this one is uhh... annoyance? This world is annoying. The last thing I wanted to do was to have a boss rush of the Broodles, and with anti-gravity to make jumping on their heads a pain in the rear end. Are there actually some like... good worlds that unlock post game or

You unlock a fun platforming stage at 600 or so.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Macaluso posted:

The lower gravity makes fighting most of the Broodles much easier. Especially Spewart. Just watch your shadow to aim where you land.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

alf_pogs posted:

i keep thinking of the 'wall' mechanic from zelda: link between worlds.

in that, and SMO, the main gimmick mechanic could have been really obtrusive, unfriendly and super annoying to use. but instead it is so slick and fun, easy to quick to do, that it never breaks momentum or feels out of place.

It really feels like a natural evolution of the Banjo-Kazooie type game. Since they have enough resources to make a dense game, they don't need to pad it out by having you go any serious distance to get your change-of-playstyle.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

uPen posted:

wow I gotta give them credit to leaving meaty rewards at the end (including costumes), sounds like the motivation to keep on going after say, moon 400 will still be there

dope

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I think the broodals are incredibly ugly and unpleasant to look at

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

uPen posted:

Hell yes can't wait for that then.

They REALLY need to consider looking into expanding the Bowser segment because that poo poo was tons of fun and I'd love a full game based around that moveset and character. It's about time we get a Bowser game anyway. It's been long enough Nintendo!!!

edit: How the gently caress do you get the moon in the hat kingdom high over the house? The Paragoombas don't go high enough. The frogs just barely don't reach it and even leaping out for a little bit of extra height, it's still too high. Are you supposed to leap from the pole in the neighboring house, and jump out of the frog and do a fancy jump to get to it? Because I've tried that I just can't seem to get it

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 3, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

I think the broodals are incredibly ugly and unpleasant to look at

I disagree. They might be my favorite addition to the Mario franchise in years.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Internet Kraken posted:

The Broodals provide that service.

They dead though

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I hated the Broodals up until postgame when I realized that their design actually does make sense in the Mario setting. Before that they just reminded me of Rabbids.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Macaluso posted:

Hell yes can't wait for that then.

They REALLY need to consider looking into expanding the Bowser segment because that poo poo was tons of fun and I'd love a full game based around that moveset and character. It's about time we get a Bowser game anyway. It's been long enough Nintendo!!!

edit: How the gently caress do you get the moon in the hat kingdom high over the house? The Paragoombas don't go high enough. The frogs just barely don't reach it and even leaping out for a little bit of extra height, it's still too high. Are you supposed to leap from the pole in the neighboring house, and jump out of the frog and do a fancy jump to get to it? Because I've tried that I just can't seem to get it

The one in that first lil house area? Use the motion control jump instead of A/B to jump a lil higher.

Edit: oh, you might have to use ZL/ZR to exit the frog at the apex of the jump.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Fluffy posted:

They were too busy brutally murdering Breath of Fire.

Breath of Fire would be perfect for the Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

enojy posted:

The one in that first lil house area? Use the motion control jump instead of A/B to jump a lil higher.

Edit: oh, you might have to use ZL/ZR to exit the frog at the apex of the jump.

Update: Turns out you literally can't do that moon unless you do the motion controls. Shaking makes the frog jump higher. I just never noticed that little bit of info at the bottom. Poop on that

• Locked thread