Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Shinjobi posted:

This is to go even further beyond a dumpster fire!!!!:ssj:

i mean i could dump on them but this is the only understandable decision they've made so far, it was just stupid to announce it being so early when that wouldn't reasonably give them enough time to ever fix it. it would actually be worse if they didn't push it back, two months is a hell of a deadline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Doomhammer posted:

To the surprise of nobody, the translation patch and PC version of YS VIII have been delayed into 2018.

https://gematsu.com/2017/11/ys-viii-localization-fix-pc-version-delayed-early-2018

I hope that the company president breathing down their necks causes them to actually release a quality translation this time around. If that doesn't do it, loving nothing would.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think someone on twitter summed it up well that the problem at nisa isn't really individual staff it's just whoever the people in charge of managing the company are the worst because even with a stream of different people going in and out of nisa their work has been consistently shaky. so uh. i wouldn't be surprised if a company president breathing down their neck, is why the localization was bad in the first place

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Colonel posted:

i think someone on twitter summed it up well that the problem at nisa isn't really individual staff it's just whoever the people in charge of managing the company are the worst because even with a stream of different people going in and out of nisa their work has been consistently shaky. so uh. i wouldn't be surprised if a company president breathing down their neck, is why the localization was bad in the first place

It's definitely possible. I'm just hoping that (because they're doing this due to releasing a lackluster product in the first place) the quality becomes the top concern rather than whatever else they might have been dealing with before.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The localization I could forgive; Actual localization people on twitter did say that a turnaround of a couple of months was very unlikely at best, and I wasn't expecting a miracle. The PC version being delayed out of the year is probably worse for them though, in terms of their relationship with Falcom.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
To be honest, I can't say I'm too bothered. Two months to redo the whole translation was always way too ambitious (especially combined with a possible redub of whatever lines were changed) and if the localization was still mediocre after releasing it, people would have given up on the title for real. At this point I'm pretty sure Falcom got the hint about NISA's capacity to handle their property and I just want a game that's as polished as NISA can make it, even if it takes another year. It's not like the game had a prequel that ended on a cliffhanger.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm not saying I'm bothered, I'm saying I'm :hmbol:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

With the rate of new falcom stuff coming out thats not Trails/Ys related, we're probably due for a new thread once tok xan ex + and cs2pc are out.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I finished Cold Steel 1.

What the gently caress!? Also do all first parts of Trails games end with someone being revealed as evil the entire time?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Zaggitz posted:

With the rate of new falcom stuff coming out thats not Trails/Ys related, we're probably due for a new thread once tok xan ex + and cs2pc are out.

What's Tok xan ex?

Zwei 2 is simple but really charming. I hope that if there are more Zwei games out that they eventually come to steam.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

GrandpaPants posted:

I finished Cold Steel 1.

What the gently caress!? Also do all first parts of Trails games end with someone being revealed as evil the entire time?

Yes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tokxanex is not for everyone, ask your doctor if Tokxanex is right for you

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Ryuga Death posted:

What's Tok xan ex?

Zwei 2 is simple but really charming. I hope that if there are more Zwei games out that they eventually come to steam.

Tokyo Xanadu ex+

Ps4 version of tokyo xanadu with way more content.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

GrandpaPants posted:

I finished Cold Steel 1.

Welcome to Kiseki Paranoia.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hey i'm done with Cold Steel 2 finally! After seeing the ending, wow the reverie corridor really is placed in a most bad place pacing-wise. There's barely anything left after it. I get what its purpose is in the story and it's not entirely unnecessary but it sure could do with a "skip this dungeon yes/no" prompt.

Also, I like that the final boss continues the proud tradition of not even being as hard as an earlier boss. This time McBurn takes the cake, I think. He felt like pretty much the only boss who could do something against all the wonderfully broken tactics you can pull off. This guy, despite having some massively broken attacks himself just bent over backwards to a simple combination of buffs, crafts and overdrive. Oh, and Laura depleting half its health in a single attack, naturally.

I realized this particular broken tactic way too late actually, but the best use of Laura seems to be as a Domination tactical nuke you keep in your support party until you see a critical turn coming up, and an otherwise opportune moment to deal damage. Then just switch her in, use her selfbuff, and launch the s-craft on that crit turn. Everything is now dead or at least halfway so, and this way you don't have to use your biggest bomb at the very start of battle where it'll just make the enemies launch into their harder low-health patterns (do trails games have those?) and get to save it for a bad day.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's not an ideal solution, but if you're just ready to be done when you hit the Reverie Corridor you can sprint past all the regular monsters and Laura-bomb the cryptids.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I always thought the reason why I bounced off JRPGs was because they moved too slow but I am playing the Trails games (Beat Cold Steel, afterwards FC and now working on SC) and these games move slower than any JRPG I have tried before but somehow its quickly becoming my favorite video game series. I think its because I like talking to all the NPCs in these games.

SC seems to be way better than FC and I am saying this completely based off the fact that the hurricane craft gets upgraded and has a big circle which I always wanted.

GrandpaPants posted:

I finished Cold Steel 1.

I like in FC they kinda make it obvious who this is going to be because at the point where Joshua is saying "you always kinda creep me out" I was like "YES EXACTLY."

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Really Pants posted:

It's not an ideal solution, but if you're just ready to be done when you hit the Reverie Corridor you can sprint past all the regular monsters and Laura-bomb the cryptids.

The problem with this is that you won't know to do it and the game does a really good job of making the task seem daunting.

The corridor really has all the trappings of an endgame bonus dungeon. Repeatable content, all the party members available plus some bonus ones for you to mess around with, etc. I think the structure would be perfect if you could just engage the final boss immediately but could also explore the corridor if you so chose, and maybe the boss could have an upgraded hard version you unlock by doing that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

I always thought the reason why I bounced off JRPGs was because they moved too slow but I am playing the Trails games (Beat Cold Steel, afterwards FC and now working on SC) and these games move slower than any JRPG I have tried before but somehow its quickly becoming my favorite video game series. I think its because I like talking to all the NPCs in these games.

SC seems to be way better than FC and I am saying this completely based off the fact that the hurricane craft gets upgraded and has a big circle which I always wanted.

The idea of your guys keeping all your moves from last game going into the next one and just learning the True/Supreme/2.0 variants that are just way better like True Hurricane’s gross AoE as you go through the next game is a really cool feature

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there a guide or anything for Zwei Ilvard? I want to complete this quest but don't know how to proceed and I couldn't find any guide online.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ryuga Death posted:

there isn't any more zwei and especially not much in the same vein as zwei 2, but there's an updated fan translation for nayuta no kiseki for the psp coming out within the next year or so and that game is basically just zwei 3 with a trails set dressing, building off all of the same mechanics as zwei 2 but trading the hallway dungeons for some really impressive, more elaborate levels. i guess there's also gurumin but that's more of its own thing and imo the weakest game in the series, and the localization for it is very bland

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 3, 2017

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

The game play itself is above average, but it really really shines as a part of the story. Everything from crafts getting a true form to unlocking new s crafts.

Wheel of Time!

Sieg!

ORBITAL DEATH LASER

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zwei II's a fun little game. I think I'll be happy to stick with this and not bother with Ys VIII. But how do I know I'm getting all the character notes?! I NEED TO KNOW :spergin:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Really Pants posted:

Zwei II's a fun little game. I think I'll be happy to stick with this and not bother with Ys VIII. But how do I know I'm getting all the character notes?! I NEED TO KNOW :spergin:

You should play Ys 8. The translation is bad, but the game itself is fantastic from beginning to end. You'd be seriously missing out if you skipped it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm assuming they're on PC and don't have a choice at the moment.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Do I want a 6 or a 1 on the Zwei II slot machines? A red X on the mine levels' statistics means I haven't found all the treasures, right?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Really Pants posted:

Do I want a 6 or a 1 on the Zwei II slot machines? A red X on the mine levels' statistics means I haven't found all the treasures, right?

I think you want a 6 and yeah, you're right.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

this is the best HUD I have ever seen

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like that part of it gets taken up by a completely unnecessary math game, and a weight scale

i still think nayuta is the absolute best execution of what zwei 2 goes for mechanically, but drat if all the side stuff in zwei 2 isn't way more amazing than the kinda forgettable sidequests in nayuta

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

please cure my sadbrains Grampy Naruto

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wish there was a Zwei 2 guide in English but this is what I've been using.

http://falcom.xfu.jp/wiki/wiki.cgi/zwei2

Obviously, feeding it into google translate makes a lot of stuff kind of awkward to read but, for the most part, you can sort of figure it out. Some problems I'm running into are getting the character info since the names of the NPCs and events are different.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Zwei 2 looks much better with the bloom turned off. It's considered filtering in the config. It make a huge difference in terms of saturation.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

this snowboard minigame loving sucks

I got an email about a new store opening up, but where is it?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Really Pants posted:

this snowboard minigame loving sucks

I got an email about a new store opening up, but where is it?

Yeah, it sucks hard.

If it's the one I think it is, it's a shop that opened in the forest stage. Spawn at the forest entrance and go backwards. It's kind of in an awkward position.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Are they planning on releasing the first Zwei eventually, or is there a fan translation available?

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

re: Zwei 2

Is there something I'm not getting about the Montblanc fight? Like are you supposed to just wait around for the barrier to dissipate , hit once, and then repeat the whole thing all over again? Cause gently caress that is boring. Tell me I'm doing something wrong otherwise I'm just gonna cram down a ton of food so I can facetank it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Sivek posted:

Is there something I'm not getting about the Montblanc fight? Like are you supposed to just wait around for the barrier to dissipate , hit once, and then repeat the whole thing all over again? Cause gently caress that is boring. Tell me I'm doing something wrong otherwise I'm just gonna cram down a ton of food so I can facetank it.

Hmm, there may be more then one fight with her. The one I remember 'cause it caused tons of difficulty for me --- the one where there are tons of sidekicks --- it's possible to time her when she is setting up for the spin-around laser star attack, as she drops her shield for that, and it does a boatload of damage.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sivek posted:

That's pretty much it but Montblanc doesn't have much health so you should be able to finish the fight after only a few hits. Hit Montblanc, wait for the cat to do the exploding shockwave bodies attack for a bit then it goes back to them circling around you again. Watch out for the dumb star laser attack and don't attack too soon.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Thanks to the questing for glory RPG speedrun marathon I realized that Xanadu Next is not only on PC and in english, but also just, on steam. Where one can easily buy it. So how is it? It looked pretty cool from the bit of stream I saw, but I also understand that it's a dungeon crawler and I do usually have problems getting into those if there's no other hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
It's a pretty small-scale action rpg, i found it to be enjoyable enough but it also made me feel like poo poo because of the ranking system