Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

LAY-ZX posted:

As a coach he was upset that his "team" had accepted defeat, just like Gundham was. They essentially had the same motive.

There's also the fact that he's probably okay with dying to make sure his "team" survives.

ApplesandOranges posted:

She was clearly sweating and the heat was getting to her. The fire truck was the despair (since she wanted to go out like Marie Antoinette), but while she was putting on a great face in the face of pain beforehand she was definitely suffering (and revelling in it).

Ah, okay. I see what you mean now.

Mikl posted:

Watching the update video, I'm actually mildly surprised that Gundham's problem with the "Mechamaru didn't fight back" theory wasn't that it painted Gundham as a coward who attacked Mechamaru from behind, but rather that it cast shade on Mechamaru for being weak and allowing himself to be defeated easily.

Yeah, that's pretty respectful(?) of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Press "sleep" to pay respects.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I was waiting for Gundham's facade to crack and maybe make him interesting in a way that can be connected with right before the execution, but nope, wrapped in grandiose delusions till the end.

The voice acting's still good at least.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I could almost believe that he completely fabricated the encounter with Mechamaru. He couldn't stand it if he thinks of himself as destined to do battle with the greats, and then his adversary goes down like a chump far more easily than he expected. It'd have been nice if Nagito or someone had thrown in some subtle remark to hint at that.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Kangra posted:

I could almost believe that he completely fabricated the encounter with Mechamaru.

I read 'you annoy me with your very existence' as 'I cannot bear not being the Most Special but how do I compete with robot powers???'

It seemed like quite a bit of reaching for the others to decide he'd sacrificed himself for them, and anything someone so out of touch with reality says is suspect to begin with, but eh, whatever makes them feel better about the whole thing I guess.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, I can't really buy the whole "You sacrificed yourself for us" thing considering that he went through all of the trouble of setting up what was nearly an unsolvable murder.

My understanding is that he figured if everyone else is willing to die, he might as well be the only one to live. It's just that since he was caught, he decided to be a good sport about it and encourage them to keep going.

That said, the moral of "don't give up on life" is kind of weird when the alternative is killing other people so everyone else can maybe live.

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

Zoe posted:

I was waiting for Gundham's facade to crack and maybe make him interesting in a way that can be connected with right before the execution, but nope, wrapped in grandiose delusions till the end.

The voice acting's still good at least.

Accepting your death like a champ doesn’t seem like a grandiose delusion to me. Sure the magic circle thing was... Ridiculous, but his last act wasn’t to act surprised it didn’t work. He sacrificed himself for everyone else and at that point he was just okay with dying. ANd honestly, I think for him dying at the hands of animals was the best possible way he could think of to go anyway. I’m willing to think that Monokuma thought that him dying to his favorite thing would bring him despair, but it clearly didn’t. That’s why I love this execution despite it not seeming to match the theme of the series. Because for all his stupid delusional bravado, Gundham actually was kinda really drat brave.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I agree, first and last thing he did in the execution was making sure his hamsters are safe.

This also shows a different with whoever is controlling Monokuma over Junko.

Junko generally twists the knife (like how she gave Celeste the elegant/maytr-ish death before splatting her with a fire truck) and is designed to shock and horrify the viewers. This person seems so caught up in giving the murderer a thematically appropriate death that they miss the details - like how Kuzuryuu would be able to jump in to interfere with Peko's death or how Gundham wouldn't despair about getting trampled to death.

Revolver Anidav
Feb 12, 2016

"Diamond Dogs? They're pretty good...

But they've got nothing on my doooooooooooooooog...."

Zoe posted:

I read 'you annoy me with your very existence' as 'I cannot bear not being the Most Special but how do I compete with robot powers???'

I read it pretty differently - remember when Souda's making beach plans and Gundham got left out? His persona seems to be one big shield to convince himself and others that he doesn't really need or want friends, that he's okay with silence and solitude or whatever. But that's not necessarily true. It's all a big dramatization to make things easier to accept.

I don't believe Gundham truly had anything against Nekomaru. He clearly had respect for Nekomaru, with the way he couldn't abide having Nekomaru's honour besmirched. But all the same, he's decided to fight to the death for a chance to survive. So now it's time to own it, this is his big chance to play up his "evil" more than ever. When it's time for a battle of life and death, should he insult Nekomaru with excuses and selfish rationalizations about how his actions are justified? Or should he get them both into the spirit of things, so they can fight with no regrets?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Can you imagine what it would have been like if Nekomaru were the murderer? Could he really have kept quiet?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Mraagvpeine posted:

Can you imagine what it would have been like if Nekomaru were the murderer? Could he really have kept quiet?

I imagine he wouldn't have attempted to cover it up, since successfully doing so would result in everyone else's death and all and he supposedly liked Akane at the very least.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Man I'd love to jump in with a defense of Gundham but we haven't seen his free time events yet so

uh

Gundham's loving great.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

like how Kuzuryuu would be able to jump in to interfere with Peko's death

The last thing Peko saw before she died was her master getting injured and he also has to live with the fact he couldn't save Peko. It worked out pretty well in that instance, I would say.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think he would've basically tried to encourage everyone to solve it without making it too blatant he did it. Just to ensure they all had the will to live.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: G-Gundham...! No... Noooo...!
: ...Tch.
: ...

Even after Gundham is gone... The spirit of his parting words still lingered deep in our chests...

"Don't give up on life"

Did I...misunderstand what he meant? Then...what's the right thing to do? I don't know... No matter how much I think about it... I don't know if I'll ever be able to answer that.

: Dammit...! DAMMIT!!! I'm so pissed off...I need to throw something...!
: You all spent so much time worryin' about each other... And thanks to that...things ended up like this... You're all...full of poo poo... Every last one of you... But the biggest piece of poo poo...is me!
: Dammit...! Why am I so weak...!?

: ...It's such a downer...clearly... But still... Even though we feel this way... We still gotta do our very best.
: You...are right... This time around...we must move forward... We must continue to live and believe in our friends... If not...

: Gundham will most likely crawl his way out of hell, and I presume he will be very cross with us...
: You're...right...
: You're right...

We shouldn't just stand here... I mean...it's not like this is over. We...still have to do it. We still have to finish this. For the sake of our friends who have died, we need to finish this once and for all!

So... Don't just stand there.

Stand up and walk.

Move forward.

Live.

If you don't... Everyone who fought and died will have died in vain...! We can't allow that!

: So how long are you guys gonna stand around chattering? The class trial is over, so it's okay for you to hurry back over to Jabberwock Island!
: However, the killing school trip will proceed as usual, so make sure you know that! *leaves*
: H-Hold on! How...how much longer are you gonna keep doing this!? *leaves*

Seriously...how long is he going to keep doing this...?

How long...is this going to continue...?

: Now then...

: All right, after feeling down for so long, I finally feel refreshed! Let's hurry back and eat some food!
: H-Hold on a sec! That mood shift is too drat fast!
: Well, you know...it's like Gundham and Nekomaru said...

: That's what it means to live...right?
: Heh... She's certainly something else...
: But seriously, I'm starvin'!
: Then...let's go back for now and eat. And then...after we're full, let's sleep as much as we want.

: And then...let's do our best again.
: ...Yeah, you're right.

With this, the class trial has come to an end and once again, we returned to Jabberwock Island. The size of our group has definitely diminished... But despite that...even if it was just the rest of us, we did our best to stay upbeat and have fun together.

Of course, our optimism was only superficial... But at that moment, we were able to forget about the dark despair looming before us.

Music fades out.

However, the only thing I was worried about...was him. He wasn't there.

He...suddenly disappeared from our sight.

: Yep...I'm definitely lucky! I never expected to obtain so many valuable things from a simple game of Russian Roulette...

: Thanks to that...I was able to learn the identity of our true enemy. And before everyone else, too! But it's just too funny... I mean, no one could tell that I was lying... There's no way the file had just Hajime's information...

: I guess they were too busy with other matters. Or maybe...they've reached their limit? Regardless...I was saved. Things would get complicated if they found out.

Music fades out.

: *Sigh* Anyway... I can't forgive this...

: This...should never be forgiven... There's no way I can let this run loose... I'll be the one who stops this once and for all. Even if it costs me my life...
: For the sake of hope...I cannot ignore this!

: Allll right! Monokuma has arrived! Who summoned me!?

: ...Thanks for coming.
: Why it's the lovely little Nagito! Are you all alone tonight, too!?
: So what's up? Your face looks scary.
: I see...so you can tell...
: Ah, perhaps you found out who the traitor is?

: You know me well...
: ...Is what I'd like to say but, unfortunately, I haven't learned that yet.
: I seeee, so even you don't know, huh... Looks like the final showdown is gonna take a little more time.

: So why'd you summon me anyway? Were you finally gonna confess your love?
: I summoned you...because there's something I really need to ask you. It's about...the special prize from the Final Dead Room.
: Oh yeah... What about it?

: There was information about sixteen people in the file I received... But isn't that weird?
: What's weird?
: Well...there's a traitor from the Future Foundation hiding among us, right? Including that person...the total number of students would be sixteen, right?

: But this file contains documents that were created at Hope's Peak Academy, right?
: That's right! I just reused the stuff that the former headmaster spent a lot of time making!
: If this file even contains information about the traitor, was that person also a former student of Hope's Peak Academy?
: Puhuhu...I wonder.

: Could it be...?
: Is this your doing? Did you slip false information into the file? Were you trying to keep us from learning the traitor's identity by obtaining this information...?
: What's wrong with that? If it's my job to heat things up, it's okay if I do something small like that, right?
: That's not my point...

: My point is...you already know who the traitor is.
: ...What's wrong with that?

: Well, you're splendidly correct when you say, "I knew who the traitor was all along..." But even though I know who it is, why do you think I ignored it on purpose?
: It's just like Monomi after losing her Magic Stick! The traitor's existence means absolutely nothing to me!
: Their existence means nothing, huh...
: Well, that's just how I feel. I'm sure you guys feel somewhat different.
: After all...that person is the evil Future Foundation lackey who's putting you guys through this awful stuff!

: Hmmm...that's not entirely true... I didn't really come here to fight or anything like that...
: Instead, I came here to offer my cooperation, you know?
: ...Cooperation?

: Your purpose...is to fill everyone on this island with despair, right? That's why you're intentionally letting the traitor do as they please, right?
: Yep, yep!
: If that's the case...I might be able to cooperate somewhat too.
: However...in exchange, I want to know who the traitor is.
: I see... Interesting, very interesting...

: ...Obviously that's a biiiiig no-no!
: I mean...I want to make everyone in your group feel despair! That includes you, too!
: ...Well, I knew you would say that.

: Besides...I just wouldn't be able to handle the sadness when you inevitably betray me later on...
: Hahaha... Just as I thought, you saw right through me...

: No matter what situation I find myself in, my core way of thinking will never change... In order to create absolute hope that shines brightly, stepladders such as myself and despair exist...
: Puhuhu, you're right! You're a true believer of hope after all! I must say, that belief...reminds me of that person for some reason!
: Reminds you...?
: I don't know who you're talking about, but if someone as worthless as me reminds you of some other person...
: ...they must be extremely unlucky.

: But you're just as unlucky, right? I mean, the fact that you're even involved in something like this...
: Am I? I actually think I'm very lucky.
: ...Huh?
: Wouldn't you say that coming across this much despair is a rather rare opportunity? I can't rely on anyone on this island... That's why I have to be the one who does it... If I can eliminate despair from this island, I won't be a stepladder anymore. I'll become...true hope...

: I'll become an existence that could even be called Ultimate Hope!
: Puhuhu... The two of you are alike. You definitely remind me of him.
: Hey, there's one more thing I want to ask you.
: ...Hm?

: Who are you waiting for on this island?
: ...!
: Looks like I'm right again... You're definitely waiting for someone on this island... Is the person you're waiting for already on this island?

: Well? Answer my question.
: If...if that's the case... If that person is already on this island...
: Puhuhu! Wouldn't that be exciting!?

: Aaaaaahahahahahaha!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

One of the best things about this game is that Nagito survives this long. You'd think he'd die early on, but then you hit Chapter 5 and you're still on his wild ride. :allears:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

One of the best things about this game is that Nagito survives this long. You'd think he'd die early on, but then you hit Chapter 5 and you're still on his wild ride. :allears:

I'm not surprised at all. My rule of guessing is that the biggest jerks and biggest idiots survive the longest. Since Nagito survived Chapter 1, I figure he's good to the end.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Oh good, the chapter is over. Now I can finally ask this:

Why exactly is it the "Ultimate" weapon if it can only kill one specific person?

Edit:

hopeandjoy posted:

I'm pretty sure gravity can kill everyone.

I was going to argue this, but this was too funny to argue against.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 31, 2017

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'm pretty sure gravity can kill everyone.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm not surprised at all. My rule of guessing is that the biggest jerks and biggest idiots survive the longest. Since Nagito survived Chapter 1, I figure he's good to the end.

Hmm, that covers half the survivors of DR1. Then we add the main character and the female lead. That still leaves Asahina, though. I guess that rule can't cover everyone.

On the other hand, Teruteru died second in this game, so I'm not sure how reliable it is.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

Why exactly is it the "Ultimate" weapon if it can only kill one specific person?

It's the ultimate weapon because your exclusive knowledge of the building's layout makes it so that you can create a murder that could make you an unlikely/impossible suspect.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It's also firearms.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...yes, the traitor's putting you through all this. The traitor just locked you in an enclosed space with no food and waited for you to kill each other.

...Monobear being the traitor all along would be the Ultimate lovely Twist.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Qrr posted:

Hmm, that covers half the survivors of DR1. Then we add the main character and the female lead. That still leaves Asahina, though. I guess that rule can't cover everyone.

She definitely fit the "Biggest idiots" category with Hiro

Glazius posted:

...yes, the traitor's putting you through all this. The traitor just locked you in an enclosed space with no food and waited for you to kill each other.

...Monobear being the traitor all along would be the Ultimate lovely Twist.

Honestly at this point if they play the twist straight where the traitor is actually on the students side and trying to protect them from the disaster I'm going to be kind of disappointed. Because it's really freaking obvious there's a big, immediate, non traitor problem that needs dealt with instead/first that no one has attempted any grounds at solving.

Seriously, by this point in DR1 the cast had put lots of hunting into finding out who had them and why and was trying to establish a way out of their grasp.
Meanwhile here the group is just anemically wandering from killzone to killzone simply accepting that monokuma is there and doing nothing about the fact that he's forcing them to off each other.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Twists aside, why believe anything monokuma says? He's pretty much the master of half truths and wrongness.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

She definitely fit the "Biggest idiots" category with Hiro

Not even close to Hiro. She didn't contribute much to trials, but what she did contribute was pretty reasonable, except of course on the one trial that she was intentionally trying to bomb, and honestly she was pretty justified there.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Qrr posted:

Not even close to Hiro. She didn't contribute much to trials, but what she did contribute was pretty reasonable, except of course on the one trial that she was intentionally trying to bomb, and honestly she was pretty justified there.

You may want to take another look at things. Because seriously? She's a moron who believes anything anyone tells her.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah, Hina was a great character but she was also a total ditz

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

She was definitely kinda dumb. Endearing character, but dumb all the same.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

FoolyCharged posted:

Meanwhile here the group is just anemically wandering from killzone to killzone simply accepting that monokuma is there and doing nothing about the fact that he's forcing them to off each other.

If they go another chapter without investigating that ruined school I'm gonna flip my poo poo

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015

MysticalMachineGun posted:

If they go another chapter without investigating that ruined school I'm gonna flip my poo poo

They investigated it in this update. The front is a thick metal door, they don't have any clue what the password to get in is, and there's a chaingun placed menacingly above the keypad. Not sure what else they can do about it.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Oh wow, just caught up with the thread over the past couple of days. I know this is a huge flashback, and no one will remember the specifics, but yeah the 3rd murder was very easy to solve! Another clue that wasn't really brought up by the game but nevertheless was there was: Mikan waking Hajime up early, before the announcement to ensure that he would be at the hospital before other people and could move freely. That way no one would be in the lobby with him to back up his alibi. Another neat detail imo.

I totally messed up parts of this 4th murder (the exact nature of the elevator). As other people have said however, once you figure the killer is trying to mess with time to play the alibi game it becomes clear that Gundham stands out as a likely suspect. This murder could have gone several ways though if he really was going to the bathroom by chance or a hamster heard the alarm and woke him up by entering his room, and also if Mechamaru didn't have a weird button on his back that the hamsters needed to press. Than Fuyohiko and Kazuichi would be likely suspects still too. If we're going to believe in coincidences like Fuyohiko seeing Mechamaru's descending and the time, why not right? He could have been lying to cover up setting up the clocks before hand. The button is the only unique Gundham thing he could do I suppose!

Also I wasn't sure what his motive was for committing the murders, but his speech was pretty believable and made sense for me as an animal breeder facing death from exhaustion/hunger/dehydration. In there situation where Monobear is literally going to let them waste away and die, I can see him finding murder an acceptable solution. Especially considering other people's motives would be like: "I'm hungry." or "I thought he was getting too close to Sonia", they really aren't too far removed from his answer. They all are in a bit of a hopeless situation after all.

He's a pretty great character, I love him. RIP Gundham. I especially like how he set his hamsters aside. People have mentioned that his execution may be a bad death in his eye(s)? To me it kinda makes sense as he was trampled by circle of life type stampede that he claimed motivated his killing (circle of life = killing to survive is life, better than just dying without meaning), but also though he didn't summon hellfire, or a demon, his soul being ushered off by animals he had raised and being associated with a star in death is still larger than life. For those chuunibyou types it's still a larger than life thing, and being redeemed in death isn't that bad. I, for one, hope that this fictional character is at peace.

Oh man I also love how he said goodbye to his Hamsters in the courtroom too, brought tears to my eyes.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 1, 2017

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
managing to figure out case 3 before the trial started is one of the reasons i actually liked it, even though it killed two of my favorite characters. its fun to follow along from a position of smug nonchalance like nagito does every once in a while

that being said, being forced to visit the hospital conference room before the investigation finished was a bit of a giveaway. there has to have been a better way to hint at that bit of evidence than dragging you to the spot and having nanami say Gosh That Curtain Sure Looks Familiar Huh

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Venuz Patrol posted:

managing to figure out case 3 before the trial started is one of the reasons i actually liked it, even though it killed two of my favorite characters. its fun to follow along from a position of smug nonchalance like nagito does every once in a while

that being said, being forced to visit the hospital conference room before the investigation finished was a bit of a giveaway. there has to have been a better way to hint at that bit of evidence than dragging you to the spot and having nanami say Gosh That Curtain Sure Looks Familiar Huh

All of the games follow a basic pattern in their cases and case 3, in addition to always being a double murder, is always the easiest case to figure out the culprit on*. The challenge for case 3 is working out the how rather than the who.

*Other than case 1, but that's meant to be obvious to help guide you through learning the trial system

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Eh for me Asahina is one of the more believable characters. She has very bad detective skills, mostly riding on common sense. But she's human and relatable. If there wasn't such a high proportion of idiots in the last chapter (hi Hagakure and Fukawa), it'd be easy to overlook, but Naegi having to explain everything to three people bogs them down.

She's the Persona 4 Chie. Not so great on the smarts, but occasional nuggets of things that other people might overlook.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Free Time Roundup #1: Gundham Tanaka

: What's this? A Free Time Roundup!? But I thought I was going to have to wait until the end of the game to do them because of my situation with save files? Well, it just so happens that the opportunity presented itself for me to be able to go back and do the rest of Gundham's Free Times without having to wait until the end of the game. Chapter 4 offers a good way to do a bunch of Free Times at once, though sadly I can't do Nekomaru's in this way because all of his events are pre-becoming a robot.
: So today we'll be going back to midway through Chapter 4 to do the Gundham's final three Free Times. If you want a refresher, the previous two Free Times are in Chapter 2, Part 10 and Chapter 3, Part 11.
: For his 3rd Free Time, we just need to meet him at his room early in the morning.

Is Gundham still sleeping?

*Knock-knock*

*Creak...*

: Aren't you mistaking which door to knock? I'm not God, you know...

What should I do? Can I even hang out with someone like Gundham?

> Invite Gundham to hang out

: Hmph, I guess I'll listen to your foolish talk. You'd better be grateful...

I spent time with Gundham today. Looks like Gundham and I grew closer...

> Definitely!

Moon Rock: A rock taken from the Sea of Tranquility on the moon by the astronauts on Apollo 11. Its composition is apparently unusual for where it was found...

: I see... You're holding quite an interesting item there. That item must be beyond your power. You can entrust it into my care for free.
: This present has a Good rating.

: ...Don't get any closer. I already know what you're thinking.

What do you know that even I don't know...?

: Now then, summon your familiar.
: No, I don't have anything like that...
: You've come challenging me many times. I thought you finally obtained at least one familiar...
: Just as I thought, you are just a mere human...and a strange one at that.

Despite what he's saying, Gundham doesn't seem all that annoyed. Is he opening up to me a little?

: However, you probably don't understand how pointless this place is for a demon beast tamer...
: Now that you mention it...even though this is a tropical island, I don't really see any wild animals.
: If this place really was a normal tropical island, I wouldn't have time to talk to you so freely. Many beasts inhabit the thick forests... There may even be rare species that only exist in this land!
: Hehe...just thinking about it makes me tingle...

Wow...he's smiling right now...

: Ah...I seem to recall seeing a cow at the ranch...

: I'm not interested in some domesticated animal.
: I had a feeling you'd say that...
: After all, I cannot look at it without feeling pity.
: Huh!?

Th-That's a bit unexpected...

: Such creatures are born to be eaten by humans. Even if I had the All-Seeing Eye, I couldn't change that fate... Thus, I try not to involve myself with livestock. It would bring a calamity onto my mind, after all...

Gundham understands the feelings of animals...so this must be a complicated subject for him...

: Hmph... I appear to be getting oddly sentimental since I haven't encountered any new demon beasts. I've tamed various creatures such as the cerberus, the phoenix, and even the Midgard serpent...

He probably means...dogs, birds, and lizards...

: When you say "tamed," what exactly does that entail?

: Hmph...I guess it's fine to tell a mere human. I don't believe that you'll get in my way.
: Basically, you must say..."Good girl, good girl".
: ...Huh?
: You must repeatedly speak to them, and make sure they understand that there is no ill will on our end. In order to do that, you need to appear innocent.

: Of course, there are some who like to be touched and some that don't. It's better if you keep these basics down.
: Afterward, as long as you spend a long time together, you'll eventually start to hear your partner's words.

I'm pretty sure that only happens to Ultimate Breeders... But Gundham seems different from usual when he talks about animals. Somehow, his face seems gentler. He must...really love animals.

: Now then...I wonder if there are evil demon beasts that will rile me up on this island somewhere...
: Monokuma and Monomi are...sort of shaped like animals...
: They are no good. Anything that can talk will eventually betray you.
: And most importantly...they aren't cute.
: ...I agree. But I don't plan to betray you at all.

: Hmph. Such exaggerations coming from a mere human like you. However...that's a nice line. *leaves*

Gundham left the area with a different smile on his face than usual. I hope we'll be able to understand each other, even if it's just a little bit at a time...

After seeing Gundham walk away, I left the area.

: Gundham's 4th event takes place at the Strawberry House's 3rd floor park (Also known as the 6th floor now that we know the secret of the Funhouse).

: Is this pattern some sort of insect puppetry...?
: But...how foolish of them to involve me as its sacrifice!

: Don't make me get serious...! Do you want me to purge your soul from the cycle of rebirth!?

I spent time with Gundham today, even though he's still acting weird at a time like this... Looks like Gundham and I grew closer today...

> Definitely!

Sand God's Storm Horn: A broken horn from some unknown creature. Those who possess this horn will be able to read the wind.

: I see... You're holding quite an interesting item there. That item must be beyond your power. You can entrust it into my care for free.
: This present has a Good rating.

: Hold it, if you come any closer...
: I know, I know. I won't get close to you.
: It appears that you've finally noticed... The blood that flows within me...bears a fearsome curse.

Of course it does...

: Ever since I was young, this body of mine was exposed to so many poisons that it became poisonous itself. If a mere human like you ever touched me, you will immediately decompose and wither away. Thus...I've been trying to make sure you don't get too close to me...
: Does...that mean you've been thinking of me?
: Hmph...don't get ahead of yourself. Even if you're just a foolish human, I'm not so cruel as to yearn for a meaningless death.

Hmmm... Can I assume that he's...blushing?

: But you say your blood is poison... What would be the advantage of that?
: It's not an issue of gains and losses. I became like this because I had to... I have to be like this even if I don't want to be. I've been putting poison in my body ever since I was young...

Sounds somewhat plausible... Could it be...?

> Your mom's an awful cook

: Um...was your mother's cooking bad?

: Gngh...!

C-Crap...I was only joking but it sounds like that was exactly it...!

: You wouldn't understand how much pain I had to endure... Plus, that woman would cry if I didn't finish my plate. What choice did I have but to suffer in silence...?

D-Don't you feel better now that you've talked about it...? I mean...you're actually a really kind guy.

: Anyway...now that you understand, you shouldn't come any closer to me. Know that if you ever touch me, it would mean death for you.

But...that's so lonesome....

: ...Hey Gundham, can I ask you something?
: If you have the fortitude to ask me that.

I didn't even say anything yet...

: Um...when you were in grade school, did you ever hold hands with any of the other kids?

: It's obvious now, but...at the time, I was faking my condition...
: By moving next to the teacher who served me, I was able to avoid questions and survive without any problems.
: ...Did you ever have to do a folk dance?
: You don't understand! That is a ceremony for summoning evil deities. Fortunately, the school nurse was in the same tribe as me, so I was able to leave without getting involved.
: I-I see...

It might've been bad of me to point out something so unnecessary... I don't know what to say to him anymore...

: So then, what kind of people are okay to get close to you?
: ...Anyone whose power matches my own, or...

: ...No, there's no way such a being exists. You should just forget about that. ...For your sake. *leaves*

With those words, Gundham walked away. He seemed very lonely...

What was he going to say? If he'd just told me...maybe I could've done something about it... And if I had, maybe he wouldn't have shouted nonsense at me.

After seeing Gundham walk away, I returned to my room...

: The final Free Time takes place in Gundham's Deluxe Room.

: Heed my warning... Beware the Dark Queen. It seems her true power has not awakened yet...
: Oops...I've said too much.

: Kehehe, there's no need to be that afraid. I doubt she'd awaken immediately... Even now, the Dark Queen's power is still struggling against the abyss that consumes the darkness...

Gundham continued to talk about this fantasized version of Sonia that he made up on his own. Looks like Gundham and I grew closer today...

> Definitely!

Angel's Fruit: Despite its toxic appearance, this fruit bears a sweetness that will take you to heaven. However, they say that those who eat this fruit will be possessed by evil and fall to the dark side.

: Hajime...you fiend...
: ...You are rather nice.
: As long as this treasure is within my grasp...I will never forget this day...!
: This present has an Amazing rating.

...Hm? He doesn't seem like his usual self.

: ...Why do you keep following me? In truth, there's no way I'd ever associate with someone like you...

: But still, why do you continue to hound me!? Does this mean my absolute mental defenses are wearing off...?
: I don't know what you think this is, but we're friends who are working together to escape--
: Gah!

Wh-What the...? He seized up all of a sudden...!

: S-Settle down...my wicked arm...! Are you...a Kotodama user!? You wish to manipulate me with false words and cheap tricks, don't you!?
: I'm not trying to manipulate you at all... In fact...you're the one who said I'm just a mere human with no special abilities whatsoever.
: ...You...wouldn't understand... I'm in isolation for a reason... There will never be a day when you understand why I became who I am!
: I'm the offspring of an angel and a devil, a cursed being shunned and rejected by everything in this world! Once I lose the only thing I love, I'm destined to spend my last days being devoured alive by demon beasts!

: Truly I am mankind's natural foe! Evil incarnate! A walking cataclysm! A shapeless insanity! GUNDHAM TANAKA!

He sounds like his normal self, but...there's definitely something different about him. There might be a kernel of truth hidden in the words he just spoke.

: It's true. I don't know anything about what drove you to this point...
: But I definitely believe that you're my friend. If I didn't think that, I wouldn't be able to go on.
: That's it... That's the only reason. As long as you're my friend...I have no desire to take anything away from you and try to force you to change.

: It seems that...I completely misread you... I never expected a human like you to contain a singularity...

Hm? Have I been promoted from a mere human?

: You asked me the other day what sort of existence would be capable of touching me.
: The answer to that is...the singularity. A being who can make the impossible possible...by overcoming various limitations...
: Huh? Am I really that amazing?
: Hmph...don't get ahead of yourself. A simple creature like you does not have that much power.

: However...I can lend you my powers, as long as you yearn for them.
: Then I'll leave this to you.
: Tch... For you to say that so easily...
: Well...who cares. Lend me your hand.

I stuck out my hand like he told me to do, and after some hesitation, Gundham slowly gripped my hand. His hand felt like a normal person's hand...and I definitely didn't wither away and die.

: With this...the contract is complete. I will not allow you to die without my permission.

I really want to say that to him too, but...he'll definitely yell at me if I do.

Instead...I gripped Gundham's hand so tightly that it started hurting.

: Gnnnnngh...!

It somehow became a battle of endurance but...I felt a strong bond between Gundham and me. Which reminds me... It's been a long time since I felt so happy being acknowledged by someone.

Gundham spent all day teaching me to use that ability. By the time I returned to my room, I was exhausted...

: Infinity Unlimited Flame makes it so it only takes one shot to break through a piece of white noise. Sounds like it would be handy but since I had to reload an old save to do these events it obviously won't be a part of the actual LP save file unless I were to play Trial 4 through to completion. Again. Oh well.
: Completing Gundham's Free Times Events also unlocks a trophy/achievement titled Overlord's Vassal.

Gundham Tanaka's character art.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Animal trainers are fun characters. The one in Ace Attorney Investigations 2 is amazing, but Gundham has a certain Je ne saie quoi about him. That handshake was a cute touch.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I feel a little sad that Gundham never really got to work with any of the anyimals on the island. Then again he'd need a bit longer than just the handful of days that have gone by so far.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Glazius posted:

I feel a little sad that Gundham never really got to work with any of the anyimals on the island. Then again he'd need a bit longer than just the handful of days that have gone by so far.

i feel bad that i sent gundham to the ranch all the time in island mode assuming he would be good at collecting materials there, before finding out from his free times that he actually hates it

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Oh good, I can mount a defense for Gundham now oh wait someone did it for me! The thing to keep in mind with Gundham is that, though he exaggerates like crazy, he's usually telling the truth. sweetmochiprince uses that to figure out Gundham's entire backstory and a bunch of his motivations. (also they use a nonofficial translation which means it's a bit more accurate, like when Gundham says "Once I lose the only thing I love...", it should be "Ever since I lost the only thing I loved...")

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Can I just get a summary of that post? That tumblr looks like rear end but I'm interested in Gundam analysis.

• Locked thread