Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was hoping she'd help x-files guy or they'd team up, or just run away from him, not straight up kill him. He was just a lonely PTSD hermit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Baronjutter posted:

I was hoping she'd help x-files guy or they'd team up, or just run away from him, not straight up kill him. He was just a lonely PTSD hermit.

Dishing out abuser tactic after abuser tactic... I think it's fair to say there were a few red flags in that scenario.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Brawnfire posted:

Dishing out abuser tactic after abuser tactic... I think it's fair to say there were a few red flags in that scenario.

I guess she didn't have an easy way to stun the guy either. It was sort of weird that she made a big point to only stun the horrible blood thirsty cannibal mutants trying to kill them, because they value life, but murdered the poo poo out of a guy for lying about finding her communicator.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
He also locked her in a cell and acted pretty rapey. #NotAllMadSurvivalists

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also she just found out her kid was dying so was probably sick of playing some long-game to gain his trust or talk her way out.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

It's okay, that shiv and pistol were both set to stun.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Isaac is really good. I'm missing Bortus though, but the one or two lines he gets in per episode are amazing.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
That shuttle crash sequence was actually pretty tense!

I noticed that Issac talks to Dr. Finn's kids like he does the rest of the crew :haw:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I enjoy this product and/or service. A+ Would consume again!

Baronjutter posted:

murdered the poo poo out of a guy for lying about finding her communicator.

The lack of negotiation is what got me. Aside from that, eh. Fair enough, Spacewoman!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Man I am loving this show. Week after week its not letting me down. This show just feels good to watch, like a warm blanket.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I was sitting here thinking 'what's worse, a character killing in self defense, or a character who sits there with hands shaking and doesn't shoot and gets recaptured.'

I'm glad they went with the former. Don't mess with a mama bear.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

She just got news that her son was dying from the toxin that wiped out most of the world and the guy gave every sign that he world never let her go.

It was also very obvious she stressed stun to her son to spare him from having to live with the choice she just made.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Gynovore posted:

Ehhhh. That wasn't a *bad* show, but it wasn't anything special either. No real insights about Dr. Finn, Isaac, no plot twists about the planet or it's people, no funnies except the gloryhole bit.

So far most weeks of The Orville have been like a good episode of Next Generation with a splash of comedy added. This was like a filler TNG episode with nothing else.

Agreed, on all points.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I love that they listen to Barry Manilow, I 100% agree with their assessment of him as an underrated genius.

It occurs to me that in whatever future year they're in, listening to 20th century music and watching Seinfeld would be the equivalent of a contemporary person who just listens to classical music and attends shakespeare productions. So they really are culture snobs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I loved Ed's "We need better people" muttered under his breath.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Zoro posted:

Saying you value life is hypocritical after you kill two people.

She values her sons' lives the most. That and the stun pistols were on the other half of the shuttle.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I really liked this weeks episode.

Has Claire's hair always been part green?

Also, wasn't someone supposed to ask for a cat? I thought I remembered something about that from the teaser.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That was a pretty good episode. Had some good stakes, and a couple good jokes. Much better than last week's cringefest. I'm really glad this show got a second season.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cojawfee posted:

That was a pretty good episode. Had some good stakes, and a couple good jokes. Much better than last week's cringefest. I'm really glad this show got a second season.

The episode they aired last week ? That was the pilot. They've come light years since.

I liked it a lot. Putting Isaac and the kids together was a great storytelling move. Claire's captivity was shot really loving creepy. It played out like an exaggerated women's POV of contemporary America. I also like the "doomsday prepper" angle to the captor, that was well done.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Good to know that Union shuttles have gently caress-you-gently caress-you-gently caress-that-guy-in-particular guns on it, good lord.

e: but I'm not buying that you couldn't hold them off alone, Issac. You were one-shot-one-killing those fuckers.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 3, 2017

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
^^^ Isaac could almost certainly dual wield as well.

mllaneza posted:

The episode they aired last week ? That was the pilot. They've come light years since.

Last week was Social Media planet.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I really liked this episode. Isaac throwing away and blowing up the game and his line about never speaking about the game again made me laugh pretty hard, and the shuttle crash was tense in a way that Trek has never managed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Beachcomber posted:

^^^ Isaac could almost certainly dual wield as well.

Last week was Social Media planet.

What a time to be alive. They still have a bad opinion, just a different reason.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Can I ask a question? What happened to that Krill lady? Because if I remember right, the Captain dude was like "I don't know what I'm going to do with you." I took that to mean that she'd be relevant in the following episode or that she'd become a minor, secondary character... but I just remembered that she is nowhere to be found for some reason anymore? What happened?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Love Stole the Day posted:

Can I ask a question? What happened to that Krill lady? Because if I remember right, the Captain dude was like "I don't know what I'm going to do with you." I took that to mean that she'd be relevant in the following episode or that she'd become a minor, secondary character... but I just remembered that she is nowhere to be found for some reason anymore? What happened?

He said he didn't know what was going to happen to her. Presumably she is in space-jail being space-interrogated for intel on the Krill empire. I guess they could eventually send her back, but she's kind of a POW, and the Krill don't take prisoners. We might see her again like Lore or Moriarty or Mudd.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

The Lord Bude posted:

I love that they listen to Barry Manilow, I 100% agree with their assessment of him as an underrated genius.

It occurs to me that in whatever future year they're in, listening to 20th century music and watching Seinfeld would be the equivalent of a contemporary person who just listens to classical music and attends shakespeare productions. So they really are culture snobs.

In my opinion, I really like this "in-universe" fan theory explanation for all of that "it's the future but we like stuff relevant to our audience's frame of reference":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Kju_-1sYM&t=3s

quote:

"live short and be impoverished, bitch"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

In my opinion, I really like this "in-universe" fan theory explanation for all of that "it's the future but we like stuff relevant to our audience's frame of reference":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Kju_-1sYM&t=3s

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

So very happy they made a point of loudly saying 'we have the cure, and we're sending people in to help' . Am sure there have been similar shows where that sort of thing just gets left hanging.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chop Sunni posted:

So very happy they made a point of loudly saying 'we have the cure, and we're sending people in to help' . Am sure there have been similar shows where that sort of thing just gets left hanging.

Also the "we might run into a star!" "nah space is big, prob not" conversation was nice.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
How does this show get better week after week :allears:

“We will never speak of the game again.”

Took a video of that and it to my sister since I’m sure she would love to do that with her kids’ smartphones 😂

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Orville isn't going to keep a POW. She was handed over to the military.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Chop Sunni posted:

Yeah, the show is making it pretty clear that their version of "permit the natural development of the species" doesn't include living under false pretenses or extinction-level events.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm gonna put 2 internet cookies down on next episode's guest being J. Frakes. Because I really want it to be Frakes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

Man I am loving this show. Week after week its not letting me down. This show just feels good to watch, like a warm blanket.

:agreed:

I don't recall, did we know the doctor had kids before this? And I liked that she chose to have kids by herself and the show treated that like a normal thing, no need for a tragic backstory or anything.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

McSpanky posted:

I don't recall, did we know the doctor had kids before this? And I liked that she chose to have kids by herself and the show treated that like a normal thing, no need for a tragic backstory or anything.

Very refreshing, yes.

"Was he destroyed?"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

McSpanky posted:

I also enjoyed the fact that her kids are normal and unintelligent. Not a smug super genius.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"Entering the glory hole"
:allears:

Gynovore posted:

So far most weeks of The Orville have been like a good episode of Next Generation with a splash of comedy added. This was like a filler TNG episode with nothing else.

Filler?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Seems like they'll probably bring her back a some point when they want to do another Krill episode to build on that part of the universe. Maybe just as a source of information, but probably more like an agent they'll take along on an infiltration mission and she'll escape but spare Mercer's life and serve as a minor recurring character?

I mean that's how I'd approach it if I were doing Star Trek writing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

double nine posted:

I'm gonna put 2 internet cookies down on next episode's guest being J. Frakes. Because I really want it to be Frakes.

Blue guy's head wasn't fat enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They turned her over to the bigger ship. I think he said "I don't know what they will do with you"