Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Modus Pwnens posted:

Every Mario without a level timer > every Mario with a level timer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Just a tip for anyone who picks up Octodad fir the first time when it comes out:

It's a comedy game. Don't just play through in handheld mode, put it up on the TV and play the co-op mode with friends. It is a magical experience.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dizz posted:

It was good until that one stage I could never beat.

That stage itself is still great

3D world is great

Modus Pwnens posted:

Like 99% of timers in Mario levels don't matter with how ridiculously high they usually are.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Modus Pwnens posted:

Super 3d world is better than sunshine

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I searched that room for like an hour

I just found it last night. It's fiendish in it's simplicity.

It's inside one of the push blocks, in a little cubby. on the second set, after the power line square. you can only see it looking backwards.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ventana posted:

Like 99% of timers in Mario levels don't matter with how ridiculously high they usually are.

It's not so much the timers themselves but rather what they represent. 3D World is a pure platformer like the 2D games, while 64, Sunshine and now Odyssey are exploration-based. That's why they can't have a timer, because half the fun is dicking around and finding neat stuff.

That's also why I feel like you can't compare them, because ultimately they're different genres. 3D World is a 2D Mario in three dimensions, 64 etc. are 3D Marios. :shobon:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Been playing Odyssey. It’s good. Also got a Super Famicom mini since who knows when the hell the Switch will have VC.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Your Computer posted:

It's not so much the timers themselves but rather what they represent. 3D World is a pure platformer like the 2D games, while 64, Sunshine and now Odyssey are exploration-based. That's why they can't have a timer, because half the fun is dicking around and finding neat stuff.

That's also why I feel like you can't compare them, because ultimately they're different genres. 3D World is a 2D Mario in three dimensions, 64 etc. are 3D Marios. :shobon:

In theory yeah, but when you actually start trying to explore the levels in 3D world (such as, when trying to get all the green stars), you find that the timers are still extremely generous enough that you have time to explore everything in the levels + an extra 100 in-game seconds. It completely shatters any illusion that the timers actually mean anything.

The REAL difference is in the level design, since usually 2D mario (and 3D land/world) levels are not very large and straightforward so there isn't that much to really explore, or what little of it you can do can be done very quickly. It's not the timer that makes any difference; it's the levels.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
For most actions that say to shake the joycons (flying/climbing faster for instance) tapping Y will also work.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there anything I just plain can’t do without waggling? I loving hate waggling.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Is 3D Land better or worse than World? Not like I'm gonna play that before Odyssey, but it's something to consider.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Elman posted:

Is 3D Land better or worse than World? Not like I'm gonna play that before Odyssey, but it's something to consider.

Worse

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It depends. They're both better at certain things.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ventana posted:

In theory yeah, but when you actually start trying to explore the levels in 3D world (such as, when trying to get all the green stars), you find that the timers are still extremely generous enough that you have time to explore everything in the levels + an extra 100 in-game seconds. It completely shatters any illusion that the timers actually mean anything.

The REAL difference is in the level design, since usually 2D mario (and 3D land/world) levels are not very large and straightforward so there isn't that much to really explore, or what little of it you can do can be done very quickly. It's not the timer that makes any difference; it's the levels.

well yes, that was my entire point. :v:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MZ posted:

:eng101: Nintendo hasn't had a stage at E3 for years.

I fail to see how that has anything to do with what you quoted.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I have some credit at GameStop to burn - I hadn't picked up Fire Emblem Warriors yet, but I noticed there's been little to no chat of it online.

Lost in the weeds due to Super Mario Odyssey, or actually just a mediocre game?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

OGB posted:

I have some credit at GameStop to burn - I hadn't picked up Fire Emblem Warriors yet, but I noticed there's been little to no chat of it online.

It's a musou game for people who like musou games.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh poo poo it's new Blade time!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

OGB posted:

If you like Warriors games it's a very good one, assuming the uninspired roster doesn't bother you. If you don't it's not gonna change your mind.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/926433801554841602

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Hard pass.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Someone should tell them 7th is a Tuesday.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This time we'll explain the combat for 45 minutes, hopefully you will finally understand. For the purposes of this direct we've given lots of hp to low level movs to better show off the combat. We'll try to remember to set it back to normal levels before release, no promises.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sakurazuka posted:

If you like Warriors games it's a very good one, assuming the uninspired roster doesn't bother you. If you don't it's not gonna change your mind.

One nice thing about said roster, though, is that if you want more Awakening or Fates characters in your life, getting their games is super easy. If you wanted to see more, I dunno, Sigurd, maybe you have an SNES Classic and know whether your Genealogy ROM is headered or not for the TL patch.

Takoluka fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 3, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Al Borland Corp. posted:

This time we'll explain the combat for 45 minutes, hopefully you will finally understand. For the purposes of this direct we've given lots of hp to low level movs to better show off the combat. We'll try to remember to set it back to normal levels before release, no promises.

Test/demo builds are generally branched off an older stable version rather than the bleeding-edge just-compiled version. They're not just tweaking values in the master build and saving it on a demo box with a post-it on a coder's monitor saying "REMEMBER TO CHANGE BACK VALUES!" as a reminder for after the demonstration.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Glad they've finally cordoned off the anime so it can stop poisoning my normal Directs

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I still really don’t understand what Nintendo Direct is.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
how are you meant to figure out those hint picture moons? i used to think i was a good detective but now nintendo is making me hand in my fake badge.

like theres one with a the circle koopa in the sand kingdom and i figured it was telling me a nearby bush had the moon but nothing is there.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Test/demo builds are generally branched off an older stable version rather than the bleeding-edge just-compiled version. They're not just tweaking values in the master build and saving it on a demo box with a post-it on a coder's monitor saying "REMEMBER TO CHANGE BACK VALUES!" as a reminder for after the demonstration.

My way is funnier

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Vikar Jerome posted:

how are you meant to figure out those hint picture moons? i used to think i was a good detective but now nintendo is making me hand in my fake badge.

like theres one with a the circle koopa in the sand kingdom and i figured it was telling me a nearby bush had the moon but nothing is there.

It's north of that nerd

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

A YouTube hype video for whatever product

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also the game is releasing in 4 weeks time, that poo poo is finalised already for game card production.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's where Nintendo bring information directly to us

https://i.imgur.com/11nUZoS.gifv

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 3, 2017

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
impulse purchased Puyo Puyo Tetris, the game is quite fun and I recommend it, it’s the perfect 15 minute game and the AI is good for single player. only complaint is i am officially Too Old to enjoy the plot in adventure mode.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Vikar Jerome posted:

I managed to figure out where the Mushroom Kingdom one showing Top Hat Tower was located, and felt like a bloody genius.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I searched that room for like an hour
I searched for like 15 minutes and couldn't figure it out but I noticed that one block was really weirdly shaped and then I figured it out. Then I went back to the starting area and tried to look at that block from the ground and the way they very carefully obscured the moon was perfect.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:same:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Ventana posted:

It's not the timer that makes any difference; it's the levels.

They go hand-in-hand. Nobody is anxious about the timer running out, it's that they built a level so condensed with enemies and blocks and coins and secrets, which is fine, but, it's a completely different game style

A timer in a game like Odyssey wouldn't even make sense, so they'll never do it, which is why the timer gets the blame for the style of game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hope Wario is revealed as a "blade"

I don't understand why some of these "blade" characters have weapons that they will never use since they're basically just standing behind you giving you abilities. guess that's anime for you.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
They need something other than hair color to help differentiate from your various animes

There's only so many colors in our spectrum of visibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looking the same is the exact opposite of the problem with a lot of the XC2 designs.

• Locked thread