Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I really should watch Hidamari sketch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yes.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
"You don't need a reason. There are nice things sometimes."
"Even in this world?"
"Probably."

:perfect:
I'm such a cow for moments like these.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

FauxLeather posted:

"You don't need a reason. There are nice things sometimes."
"Even in this world?"
"Probably."

:perfect:
I'm such a cow for moments like these.

Hell yeah, :same:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Eiba posted:

Oh man, episode three is where this story gets really good.

"Why do people live?" *bonk on the head*
New person: "I'd die without my maps" *looses maps*
*street lights come on* "There's no reason. Sometimes things are nice."

It's a really simple story, but I love it. I like the dynamic of Chi worrying and Yuu not worrying in such a complimentary way.

I also love learning new things about this world. Last episode we found out there were no living things at all besides humans... and that mysterious fish. This episode we got a better picture of the bizarre ruins they live in. Not just ruins, but ruins built around ruins. The towers were ancient structures that later people lived around and utilized without understanding them. Cities were built around the tower ruins, until they were also abandoned to ruin. People did so many incredible things, and now they're gone. Like that guy's maps in the wind.

This setting is so beautiful.

If there needs to be a reason, I'd wager that all the WW2/Cold War stuff they have is probably just cargo culted reproductions that could be cobbled together since the later people couldn't access the higher tech that allowed for the greater infrastructure to be built.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

If there needs to be a reason,
To me at least there doesn't really need to be. This show is purely evocative, rather than meticulous, about its world. It's detailed and consistent in some ways, but just to create a melancholy atmosphere, not for the sake of believability. Personally, I think it's probably because copying real designs is a much easier way of creating the right feel, while a bunch of original futuristic or steampunky alternate designs could be distracting or just a lot of work.

But then again, I don't recognize military equipment easily so the real stuff hasn't really taken me out of it. If it helps you get into things to wonder about the origin for some things, that's totally cool, and completely in line with the characters wandering around wondering what all these weird things might have been and why people made them. And the idea that they're cargo cult relics, the best a dying society could muster, is a pretty neat concept.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

x

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
So where can I watch this living in Canada?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/qb2bsj8hvdgse3u/status/922349598902927360

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh my god

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Amazing

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
You think there's some kind of unity of warring factions going on? Chi and Yuu's uniforms and helmets are very different designs. Chi's kinda reminds me of early WWII British helmet designs, Yuu's is clearly German in origin. Plus the pseudo-Iron Cross on the Kettenkrad, and the Kettenkrad itself.

Kinda plays into the cargo-cult theory but it's worth mention.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Maybe it's been brought up already - anyone know what the deal is with the weird bound pale thing with eyes that the girls pass right after the title card in the first episode? It shows up in the beginning of the OP too. kinda looks like the fish they caught, and it gives me a YKK vibe too.
this thing:

MJP posted:

You think there's some kind of unity of warring factions going on? Chi and Yuu's uniforms and helmets are very different designs. Chi's kinda reminds me of early WWII British helmet designs, Yuu's is clearly German in origin. Plus the pseudo-Iron Cross on the Kettenkrad, and the Kettenkrad itself.

to me it looks like they have uniforms from the same faction, but Yuu is wearing a fleece-lined parka instead of a plain canvas one. we haven't seen any indication of what the 'other side' looked like. perhaps it was a civil war.

fairlight fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 24, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

fairlight posted:

Maybe it's been brought up already - anyone know what the deal is with the weird bound pale thing with eyes that the girls pass right after the title card in the first episode? It shows up in the beginning of the OP too. kinda looks like the fish they caught, and it gives me a YKK vibe too.
this thing:

I think it's just a bit of pipe or something that's being lit just so to look like a quirky friend.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

I think it's just a bit of pipe or something that's being lit just so to look like a quirky friend.

Ah yeah, the shot immediately before does look like a pipe bound in rope. The 'mouth' is definitely just a divot being illuminated from below, although idk about the eyes. I like that the quirky friend shows up in the OP though :kimchi:

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

MJP posted:

Kinda plays into the cargo-cult theory but it's worth mention.

I haven't examined closely but there's a weird mishmash of equipment/vehicles in the backgrounds too. The bomber's home nation in the first episode doesn't match the tank, or stuff from the scenery, or their equipment. Kind of hard to tell if it's just 'i like this plane/tank/car and want to draw it' or not.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
the camera breaks in the ED

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Centzon Totochtin posted:

the camera breaks in the ED

I'm curious to see if that will amount to anything specific in the normal course of the show's run, or if it's just a general reference to the show's fascination with a decaying and dying world.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
This week's episode was beautifully surreal.

Kami desu.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This show continues to lead the pack for my personal AOTS, and so far it isn't even close. I am a tremendous sucker for literally everything this show's laying down.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Watching now, but I think we have a date:

3230/08/06. Or, August 6th, 3230. The last two sets of numbers on the camera went up while Yuu was using it, so I'm guessing that's the time. The 3rd set goes up after they find the Temple, which definitely had an overnight break between Yuu's shooting spree and the post-credit scene.

Also Chi channeling her silly side was good.

iospace fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 27, 2017

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
I'm liking this show on so many levels it all gets mixed in my head and all I can do is smile while I watch it.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I really like this show but it feels weird when folks call it calming because it stresses me out so much lol. It reminds me of a time I was super depressed and I think that's intentional.

an actual dog fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 27, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's weird. I love the show and am usually grinning like an idiot the whole way through, but yeah, there's definitely moments where the overwhelming scale of the disaster that's apparently happened more than once hits.

It's good.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like it's threading the needle between the bleak and the....fuzzy, for lack of a better term really well.

Like there's that scene (minor current episode spoilers) where they accidentally knock over the statue goofing off, and it lands on the girls' heads and for a moment they go still and quiet and for a moment you remember the barren, uncaring danger of this world they live in, and that nobody is there to help them if they need it, and oh poo poo have they really hosed up this time? And then they open their eyes,
sit back up, Chi dope-slaps Yuu in irritation, and they do a quick damage check before rolling onwards, still secure in each other and still trading jokes.

That sort of scene is extremely my kind of poo poo.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

That sort of scene is extremely my kind of poo poo.
For me it was the bit where (also minor current episode spoilers) they're trying to get a grip on how many pictures they can take and Yuu calculates that they currently have 30 days of food, and Chi says the pictures will last longer than that. It might just be me, but I felt that there was an implication there that they might die after thirty days.

And then after marveling that the pictures in this camera might outlast the world around them... they take a picture together.

The whole thing is :unsmith: incarnate.

But I think this is a relaxing kind of show. A really special kind of relaxing where the setting is anxious and foreboding but the characters and the tone are still incredibly okay and relaxing. Like, accepting everything stressful and difficult about the world... things are okay and sometimes nice.

In that context Yuu's relief at finding Chi in the darkness was really moving. The world is dark and scary, and their security is stressfully tenuous, but these girls are okay because they have each other. Even if they bicker sometimes.

It's a really special kind of bleak beautiful setting that really does it for me. I can't think of anything else that's quite like this.

Except Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou maybe.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I find that it's relaxing because it's about enjoying the smaller and more precious moments, even despite all the horrible and scary stuff that surrounds them. Every moment is a treasure to them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

We also learned the two likely years the world takes place in. Assuming the camera was setup correctly, it's either year 3230 or 5218, depending on if the camera uses the BC/AD or the Japanese Heisei year.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

We also learned the two likely years the world takes place in. Assuming the camera was setup correctly, it's either year 3230 or 5218, depending on if the camera uses the BC/AD or the Japanese Heisei year.

Heisei year sounds pretty unlikely. Maybe a future immortal god-emperor though?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Is there more content by the creator that I can see? I love the art style.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Zeruel posted:

Is there more content by the creator that I can see? I love the art style.

I'm not sure about any more manga, but just in case you missed her twitter:

https://twitter.com/tkmiz/status/924751397614059521

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

a kitten posted:

I'm not sure about any more manga, but just in case you missed her twitter:

https://twitter.com/tkmiz/status/924751397614059521

Moendrian.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
https://twitter.com/tkmiz/status/900744210935988228
loving Dr. Strangelove fanart, I think I love this artist

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

friend spotted

e: I'm getting real strong Nier: Automata vibes from the setting (and the music too). The statues look a little like nier's robots as well. The manga started in 2014 -- i wonder if Yoko Taro is a fan, or if the similarities are just coincidence

fairlight fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 30, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The music is very Enya and I love it. It goes so well with the visuals, and it really reinforced that ethereal quality of the temple room when the lights came on.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

:kimchi:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Now do one of the Last Tour girls driving around the wasteland in the Japari Bus.

• Locked thread