Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I doubt a disk on a turtle is a planetoid? Unless the book doesn't mention that any of the settings are on some extraordinary thing.

Did Spelljammer integrate Dark Sun and that gothic horror prison realm settings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Angrymog posted:

Nah. Spelljammer specifically says you can have whatever cosmology you like going on inside the spheres.

Oh, that’s cool.

E: It says that right there in the paragraph I only skimmed, darn it.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 3, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I feel like it's gauche to mention Shadow of the Demon Lord again, but in the context of a game with a really strong default setting to play in ... Shadow of the Demon Lord.

The other usual 5e alternatives are 13th Age, maybe Fantasy AGE, Strike!, but they don't (IMO) hit that strong setting benchmark.

except for maybe 13th Age with the Eyes of the Stone Thief supplement

Comedy option: Monte Cook's Ptolus

Heh, I haven't even heard many of these. Shadow of Demon Lord has an interesting name, so to speak.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

I doubt a disk on a turtle is a planetoid? Unless the book doesn't mention that any of the settings are on some extraordinary thing.

Did Spelljammer integrate Dark Sun and that gothic horror prison realm settings?

It was stated somewhere that the path to Athas was lost, and/or its crystal sphere was impermeable to spelljamming passage techniques.

Ravenloft didn't fit into Spelljammer proper either, being a demiplane lurking somewhere in the deep Ethereal, rather than an alternate Prime Material plane/crystal sphere like the other settings.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Valatar posted:

A history:
Like a lot of nerds who've caught lightning in a bottle, Gary Gygax was singularly unqualified to run a large company. He hared off after his dreams of turning Dungeons and Dragons into a media-spanning empire and basically left the company in the hands of acquaintances who, through bad luck, incompetence, embezzling, or multiples of those managed to send the company into a nosedive.

This is a weird thing to say considering he built the company from nothing, it made boatloads of money while he was in charge, started going downhill as soon as he lost sole control, and was revived when he returned from the West Coast. He didn't "leave" the company in the hands of people who started to run it into the ground, but was forced to because he lost control through stock majorities.

That having been said, I loved Spelljammer and this post is already really making me regret selling off my box set and War Captain's Companion. I wonder how much they are on ebay...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

By the way, how does Mindjammer compare to Starfinger and Spelljammer?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Xotl posted:

This is a weird thing to say considering he built the company from nothing, it made boatloads of money while he was in charge, started going downhill as soon as he lost sole control, and was revived when he returned from the West Coast. He didn't "leave" the company in the hands of people who started to run it into the ground, but was forced to because he lost control through stock majorities.

That having been said, I loved Spelljammer and this post is already really making me regret selling off my box set and War Captain's Companion. I wonder how much they are on ebay...

and lot of the company's nosedive is due to the Lorraine Williams being a non-gamer who didn't understand that playtesting is important (She saw it as goofing off on the clock), kept trying to unsuccessfully use TSR to increase the profitability of her Buck Rogers ownership, and kept pushing out way products than the company could reasonably sell.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Robindaybird posted:

and lot of the company's nosedive is due to the Lorraine Williams being a non-gamer who didn't understand that playtesting is important (She saw it as goofing off on the clock), kept trying to unsuccessfully use TSR to increase the profitability of her Buck Rogers ownership, and kept pushing out way products than the company could reasonably sell.

Actually it was due to the owners before her literally embezzling the poo poo out of the company. Lorraine Williams as the sole downfall of TSR as The Terrible Non-Gamer is a meme that should have died a long time ago.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Robindaybird posted:

Well, that's later material, and as Valatar points out, a lot of it is second and third-hand. IIRC, no TSR staffer has ever confirmed that there was a playtest ban, for example (although I'd like to see if I missed it). I'm talking more about the era where, while Gygax was still working there, the Blumes took control of the company through their stock majorities and effectively removed Gygax from any real management power. That's when the crazy nepotism and ill-fated expansions into needlepoint and such came into play. I just found it weird that Valatar seemed to lay this at the feet of Gygax, when getting hosed over by people you thought were your friends is, if technically a business failing, not really reflective of one's overall management skills.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 3, 2017

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

JcDent posted:

you can spelljam to Athas but it's really hard for reasons and anyway Athas is extremely hostile to its own inhabitants, so people unfamiliar with the setting would likely be devoured in short order (either for their metal equipment or for defiling with spells or for being unable to cope with an environment where potable water is close to non-existent). plus clerics would be 100% turbo-hosed as it's central to Athas' cosmology that there are no deities that grant spells on Athas.

basically you can do it, but it's way more trouble than it's worth and it's probably a suicide mission anyway.

Ravenloft has even weirder rules about how you get there but they all boil down to "GM fiat" so if the GM decides you can spelljam to Ravenloft, go for it! only don't because it's a trap because the cosmology of Ravenloft says there's literally no way to leave Ravenloft unless "GM fiat" allows it. so Ravenloft is its own little private Hell (possibly literally, the books never 100% clarify this) and you never ever want to go there unless you're specifically playing a game in Ravenloft (which you also shouldn't do for other reasons).

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Kurieg posted:

They also brought back multiclassing, which means that almost every single class defining ability requires level 18, 19, or 20, which is where the game's bounded accuracy starts to break down. I'm also reasonably certain that no published adventure actually goes that high.

And yet Spycraft solved this problem over 10 years ago by putting each class's core ability at level 1 and saying 'you only get one core ability, ever'.

It's probably what frustrates me most about D&D -- every problem it has has long since been solved in some other game, but because the player base hates change it never benefits from innovation.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Xotl posted:

Well, that's later material, and as Valatar points out, a lot of it is second and third-hand. IIRC, no TSR staffer has ever confirmed that there was a playtest ban, for example (although I'd like to see if I missed it). I'm talking more about the era where, while Gygax was still working there, the Blumes took control of the company through their stock majorities and effectively removed Gygax from any real management power. That's when the crazy nepotism and ill-fated expansions into needlepoint and such came into play. I just found it weird that Valatar seemed to lay this at the feet of Gygax, when getting hosed over by people you thought were your friends is, if technically a business failing, not really reflective of one's overall management skills.
I always read the "playtest ban" as "a lot of people were pulling paychecks under the Blumes for sitting around and running their house campaigns on the clock and calling it playtesting and LW put a stop to that, and they were pretty put out by it"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

Ravenloft has even weirder rules about how you get there but they all boil down to "GM fiat" so if the GM decides you can spelljam to Ravenloft, go for it! only don't because it's a trap because the cosmology of Ravenloft says there's literally no way to leave Ravenloft unless "GM fiat" allows it. so Ravenloft is its own little private Hell (possibly literally, the books never 100% clarify this) and you never ever want to go there unless you're specifically playing a game in Ravenloft (which you also shouldn't do for other reasons).

The fact that "Space Sargasso full of haunted Spelljammer ships in low orbit over Ravenloft" isn't already a full adventure series is a direct example of how the industry has failed us.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Robindaybird posted:

The playtesting thing has been debunked, and by people who had nothing nice to say about Williams, at that. AFAIK it can be traced to an old GameSpy article, which offers some frankly specious analysis of TSR's problems.

Lorraine Williams probably made a lot of mistakes, but bear in mind that neither Gygax and Arneson nor the leading developers at TSR were paragons of cutting-edge design paired with shrewd business sense. The D&D developers didn't need any prodding from Williams, nor the Blumes, to sideline Basic in favour of AD&D, despite Basic being consistently successful and the '83 Mentzer-edited "Red Box" being their best-selling product of all time!

There's this view of TSR as a geek ashram where books were lovingly crafted by gamers, for gamers. If you read interviews with some of the developers you'll notice a surprising degree of sour grapes and snobbishness of the kind that you might only expect to see from fans. Williams is the target of a great deal of geek paranoia about being looked down upon by non-gamers and so on.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

potatocubed posted:

And yet Spycraft solved this problem over 10 years ago by putting each class's core ability at level 1 and saying 'you only get one core ability, ever'.

It's probably what frustrates me most about D&D -- every problem it has has long since been solved in some other game, but because the player base hates change it never benefits from innovation.

drat, Spycraft did and fixed this? Everything I've heard about this game really gives me a good impression aside from the fact that it's really crunchy.

How does Spycraft do monster creation/generation?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
gently caress yeah Spelljammer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQQdCrGp_8o

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

Elven cat: cat, but more so.

I think there was a winged cat in one of the Elric of Melnibone books, as a companion to some bard dude?

Al-Qadim had winged cats, and Red Steel had Marine Cats who were both awesome...

Al-Qadim posted:

Greater Winged Cat
The greater winged cat, or jana-nimr, is a large feline with
wings covered in soft fur. Most have short sandy-colored,
gray, or black fur. Yellow or gray individuals with black
stripes have also been seen. Lighter colored individuals usually
have white underbellies and wings, while the darker ones
tend to have solid black fur on their wings. Like other cats,
these usually have yellow or green eyes, with a few instances
of blue. A greater winged cat has a wingspan of 15 feet or
more.

These cats speak their own language, and a few (10%) speak
the languages of sphinxes or other catlike species.

Combat: Jana-nimar are generally peaceful and relaxed, but
they are very dangerous if hunting or if threatened. They
attack from the air when possible, first using teeth and front
claws while flying past an opponent. If prevented from flying
away, or if they prefer to enter melee, they may rake with their
rear claws, provided both front claws hit first.
These animals back down only if their lives are endangered.
Even then, the cat remembers the incident, and may hunt its
enemy for years to exact revenge.

Habitat/Society: These beasts inhabit grasslands and hills,
usually making a nest by flattening a small grassy area.
Jana-nimar have a mating season once a year, during which
the male brings gifts of food to his chosen partner. A litter of
1-3 cubs is raised by the mother, and they often stay with her
for as long as two years. Jana-nimar live for up to 50 years.
Ecology: Greater winged cats prefer live prey, especially mammals
or birds. They scavenge only in times of great need, and
they almost never attack humans or other bipeds. They are
intelligent enough to generally leave domestic animals alone.
If captured young, a jana-nimr can be trained as a mount,
though much patience is needed because of the cat’s great
independence. Once loyalty is obtained, it is never lost. A
jana-nimr will accept only its trainer as a rider.

RED STEEL Monstrous Compendium posted:

Marine Cat
Found only on sailing vessels, this rare breed of cat is thought to
bring luck on long voyages.

Marine cats are slightly larger and faster than normal cats and tend
to be longer-lived as well. Most tend to be female, so males are both
rare and valuable. Coloration resembles that of regular cats, with a
tendency toward dark shades and bright eye color.

The Red Curse: Marine cats are occasionally born with Legacies,
but they never require cinnabryl. They always acquire Legacies such
as Swim, Breathe Water, or another similarly water-oriented Legacy.
Such marine cats are very rare, and sailors consider them even luckier
than normal. No vessel captain would dare part with such a cat.

Combat: These cats attack with both front claws and a bite. They
can be very nasty if threatened, often aiming straight for an opponent's
eyes. If the marine cat is being somehow held by its attacker
and both of its front claw attacks succeed, it can attack with its back
claws that round as well. These rear claws each inflict 1d2 points of
damage.

Habitat/Society: Marine cats leave their vessels only for a brief tour
of the docks. Though they sometimes visit other ships, they never
board one that has its own marine cat. This is simply a manner of
etiquette. Marine cats meet each other either on the docks or if one
captain brings his cat to "visit" the other's ship. These creatures are
never taken by sailors from other ships, because it is very bad luck to
steal another ship's marine cat.

On the vessel a marine cat can get into any area. Sailors often find
their cats up in the rigging, in locked staterooms, or sleeping in the
weapons magazines. A marine cat loves to generate surprise and will
seek to position itself high enough that when a nearby person turns
around he is staring right into the cat's unblinking eyes.
Sailors often feed their cats by hand, offering pieces of fish and
beef from their own plates. Marine cats also hunt the cargo holds,
feeding on rats and keeping the ship free of voats. Strangers taking
passage on the vessel will find themselves under constant scrutiny
by the cat, who likes change only when it is the one causing it.

Marine cats, lucky or not, do seem to protect the welfare of the
ship. If someone is not where he is supposed to be, likely as not he
will step on the cat's tail, causing it to cry out and notifying everyone
nearby of his presence. When a lookout falls asleep, oblivious to a
nearby danger, the cat may then decide that the man's earring makes
a perfect toy.

Ecology: Marine cats feed on rats, voats, and whatever table scraps
the sailors give them. They are an interesting addition to shipboard
life that sailors seem to enjoy.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

theironjef posted:

The fact that "Space Sargasso full of haunted Spelljammer ships in low orbit over Ravenloft" isn't already a full adventure series is a direct example of how the industry has failed us.

while I agree that's an awesome premise, one thing Ravenloft didn't need was even greater lack of thematic focus in the setting.

Ravenloft worked best when it was focused on one domain full of gothic horror, with a thinly veiled Count Dracula knock-off.

when it became a melting pot setting where loving Dragonlance and Dark Sun and Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk and Hollow World and also random children's fairy tales and also inaccurate analogues for Earth's real historical figures all kind of wound up dumped in Ravenloft for vague misdeeds, the whole setting stopped working.

it would have worked better if it was written as "here's a rules supplement that allows you to add themes of Gothic Horror to your existing campaign settings; also here's Barovia & Castle Ravenloft as an example for how this should fit together". instead it tried to be literal Hell for all of AD&D's worst villains and ended up being an un-scary, uninspired mess.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

I feel like it's gauche to mention Shadow of the Demon Lord again, but in the context of a game with a really strong default setting to play in ... Shadow of the Demon Lord.

The other usual 5e alternatives are 13th Age, maybe Fantasy AGE, Strike!, but they don't (IMO) hit that strong setting benchmark.

except for maybe 13th Age with the Eyes of the Stone Thief supplement

Comedy option: Monte Cook's Ptolus

Ptolus is actually really good. I ran several long campaigns based around it using Arcana Evolved, and the sheer amount of things to do around that city is mind-blowing.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Williams is the target of a great deal of geek paranoia about being looked down upon by non-gamers and so on.

It's the businessman/craftsman divide, filtered through lenses of nostalgia, hero-worship, sexism, etc.. Plus the Buck Rogers flogging was absolutely true IIRC.

MightyMatilda
Sep 2, 2015

Mr. Maltose posted:

Actually it was due to the owners before her literally embezzling the poo poo out of the company. Lorraine Williams as the sole downfall of TSR as The Terrible Non-Gamer is a meme that should have died a long time ago.

People prefer to tell stories where they can blame everything on a single person, especially when the truth is much more complicated. Hatred is a lot more enjoyable when you don't have to spread it among multiple targets.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Ptolus is actually really good. I ran several long campaigns based around it using Arcana Evolved, and the sheer amount of things to do around that city is mind-blowing.

Yeah I was being a little tongue-in-cheek there. Ptolus is actually the pinnacle of "a setting that I can play around in", which is why I brought it up when responding to JcDent, but it kinda requires playing with d20/3.5 as the real rub, unless you're willing to do a lot of conversion work.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Kavak posted:

It's the businessman/craftsman divide, filtered through lenses of nostalgia, hero-worship, sexism, etc.. Plus the Buck Rogers flogging was absolutely true IIRC.
It's a mix of true shenanigans, Gygax having a legitimate ax to grind, and a lot of scapegoating.

The Buck Rogers stuff apparently sold pretty well, the issue there is that TSR (owned by Williams) paid royalties to the rights holder (Williams). That sort of double dipping is pretty sketchy.

The way she ended up in charge of TSR in the first place was equally shady. Gygax hired her to get the company out of a disastrous situation created by the Blume's mismanagement and malfeasance. She did that, and then Gygax managed to get the Blumes ousted... at which point they reneged on an agreement with Gygax and sold their controlling shares to Williams. It's a pretty cut throat move. When she subsequently sued Gygax's later company and drove them out of business, that pretty much ensured Gygax would say no good word about her ever again.

However, it's worth noting she did in fact get money flowing back into TSR despite it being severely in debt, and kept it profitable right up until the mid-90s. By all accounts the business side of TSR was run reasonably well, despite the iffy royalties stuff, and the disconnect between the business side and product side is a common one. A lot of the loudest bitching comes from ex-TSR designers who failed to catch on with WotC and other companies after TSR went down, and generally for good reason when you look at the specific names.

The simple fact is, most of the designers who like to blame the stagnation of the product line on Williams being a non-gamer haven't exactly set the industry on fire with innovation since. A number of them are only now popping back up because they can make money on the same old stuff thanks to the OSR thing. It's an easy sell in gamer circles to say "oh no, I had all these great ideas but that lady held me back because she looked down on games."

Williams does bear a lot of responsibility for the screw up that finally brought TSR down - she misread the market when GW and WotC started making unheard of profits and tossed out a bunch of ill conceived product that didn't sell. That's hardly a unique mistake , and in a lot of ways TSR was more the first victim of the CCG bubble than anything else. But she very much created a situation that turned an understandable screw up into an existential crisis for TSR.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Comrade Gorbash posted:

However, it's worth noting she did in fact get money flowing back into TSR despite it being severely in debt, and kept it profitable right up until the mid-90s. By all accounts the business side of TSR was run reasonably well, despite the iffy royalties stuff, and the disconnect between the business side and product side is a common one. A lot of the loudest bitching comes from ex-TSR designers who failed to catch on with WotC and other companies after TSR went down, and generally for good reason when you look at the specific names.
I like to point out she made a lot of really good business moves in the 1980s - going heavily into novels, investing in production values and cover art, building settings like DL and FR to be cross-marketed, and so on - and TSR really was flourishing in the early 1990s as it reaped the Dragonlance and (especially) Forgotten Realms/Drizzt windfall she encouraged. But the market shifted in the 1990s (to more "mature" RPGs like Vampire, and then of course Magic) and her strategy stopped working and her responses were bad (creating more and more setting worlds to try and capture the DL/FR lightning a third time, getting into huge debt with returns from the book trade, flop-sweating around trying to launch the next big thing - Dragon Dice, Alternity, Amazing Engine, Dragonlance Fifth Age - and so one) that it took TSR down. Plus, that Buck Rogers thing was some really inexcusable self-dealing.

Still, she probably saved TSR from being stripped to the baseboards by a family of good ol' grognards, and the company under her leadership had a good long run of sustained success. She doesn't deserve the opprobrium she gets (which is mostly axe-grinding with a thick layer of misogyny)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Not the youtube link I expected for "gently caress yeah, Spelljammer!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHGz5r-b1do

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kavak posted:

It's the businessman/craftsman divide, filtered through lenses of nostalgia, hero-worship, sexism, etc.
Generally speaking, anything anyone doesn't like about 90s TSR gets laid at Lorraine Williams' feet--whether it's dumb stuff like just hating AD&D2e and all its campaign settings for being too story-focused, or totally reasonable complaints like their lovely Internet policy and habit of churning out sourcebooks full of reprinted material.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

while I agree that's an awesome premise, one thing Ravenloft didn't need was even greater lack of thematic focus in the setting.

Ravenloft worked best when it was focused on one domain full of gothic horror, with a thinly veiled Count Dracula knock-off.

when it became a melting pot setting where loving Dragonlance and Dark Sun and Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk and Hollow World and also random children's fairy tales and also inaccurate analogues for Earth's real historical figures all kind of wound up dumped in Ravenloft for vague misdeeds, the whole setting stopped working.
I never played Ravenloft, but it sure looks that way to me. Ravenloft never needed to be more than a background for a Hammer Horror style of D&D. The setting only needed to be fleshed out to a degree that expanded on that premise--like a not-Egypt so that you can have mummy's tombs. It sure as poo poo doesn't need a spooky not-Japan.

WFRP is in many ways the setting Ravenloft should be, but I want to saw the huge ornamental wargame details off of everything.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 3, 2017

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lord Soth being in Ravenloft was the worst, yeah.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The not-Dr.Frankenstein and his monster is my personal worst liked, check my posts if you want a brief review.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Halloween Jack posted:

I never played Ravenloft, but it sure looks that way to me. Ravenloft never needed to be more than a background for a Hammer Horror style of D&D. The setting only needed to be fleshed out to a degree that expanded on that premise--like a not-Egypt so that you can have mummy's tombs. It sure as poo poo doesn't need a spooky not-Japan.

WFRP is in many ways the setting Ravenloft should be, but I want to saw the huge ornamental wargame details off of everything.

when White Wolf had Ravenloft, they did a whole lot to try to make the setting coherent, including putting the really out of place stuff out on islands (or excising them entirely) and actually make the different domains interact in a reasonable manner, not always successfully but it definitely shaped up during that time. It's admittedly my favorite of the D&D settings due to the some of the NPCs and having some of the better book lines, but the early incoherence and even for the time railroading in lot of it's early adventures did it no favors.

But still Il Auk and Forlorn are both plagued by 'why would the PCs want to go THERE?'

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

How much text did they waste on such 'avoid at all cost' regions?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

you can spelljam to Athas but it's really hard for reasons and anyway Athas is extremely hostile to its own inhabitants, so people unfamiliar with the setting would likely be devoured in short order (either for their metal equipment or for defiling with spells or for being unable to cope with an environment where potable water is close to non-existent). plus clerics would be 100% turbo-hosed as it's central to Athas' cosmology that there are no deities that grant spells on Athas.

basically you can do it, but it's way more trouble than it's worth and it's probably a suicide mission anyway.

Eberron is maybe even harder to reconcile with Spelljammer due to Eberron's highly unusual cosmology. Khorvaire is probably better prepared than most settings to deal with a Spelljammer ship that manages to make its way out there, though.

Could do it as a series of crystal spheres within crystal spheres, I suppose, each one much bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

The not-Dr.Frankenstein and his monster is my personal worst liked, check my posts if you want a brief review.

nearly every domain outside Barovia fell into the "but what do the players DO here?" problem. you've got places like:

* Bluetspur where the entire domain is eminently hostile to having players even wander around (something dumb like 10d6 lightning bolts strike randomly every minute your outside) and if you manage to find a cave to hide in, they're actually hidey-holes for a bunch of vampire illithids which will completely gently caress up all but the most epic level party in a matter of seconds. so you can't wander around outside, there's no cities or villages or civilization to interact with, the random monsters are epic level motherfuckers, there's no cool ruins or dungeons to explore, and oh also you can't leave once you enter because the setting fiction says nobody can leave a particular domain without extreme GM fiat. so you wander into a barren death-world and basically just tick off the rounds until you get a TPK.

* Some random stone-age domain, the name of which I can't recall. The Dreamlands maybe? the premise is that the entire domain is this temperate forest/prairie where bubbles of "dream stuff" float around except of course they're really nightmares and if you touch one you get zapped into the nightmare and you might never find your way out, or the way out might dump you in another setting, or in another timeline, so basically if your whole party doesn't touch the exact same one your character is functionally dead. also the only civilization are nomadic tribesmen that don't believe in things like object permanence (because anyone can get zapped into a nightmare bubble at any time) and they don't bother to create any kind of complex civilization. I don't even think there was a domain lord here? just a hosed up place that you get trapped in and then you might as well just roll up new characters.

like, you can tell they were really throwing poo poo at the wall by the end of Ravenloft, but most of it didn't even pass the litmus test of "okay, but why would PCs even go here/what kind of adventures do they have/what's the point of this whole zone"/

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

How much text did they waste on such 'avoid at all cost' regions?

everything but Barovia were words wasted on such regions.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Cythereal posted:

Eberron is maybe even harder to reconcile with Spelljammer due to Eberron's highly unusual cosmology. Khorvaire is probably better prepared than most settings to deal with a Spelljammer ship that manages to make its way out there, though.

Could do it as a series of crystal spheres within crystal spheres, I suppose, each one much bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

We could call them the Firmament and place the planets within the spheres' outer edges, so that they all rotate cleanly and-

oh wait, that's Ars Magica

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mors Rattus posted:

We could call them the Firmament and place the planets within the spheres' outer edges, so that they all rotate cleanly and-

oh wait, that's Ars Magica

Eberron has an entire series of orbiting planes, though, whose orbits can be altered like when the orcs exiled Xoriat and weird poo poo happens whenever a plane becomes coterminus with Eberron.

Likely as not, a Spelljammer ship visiting Khorvaire would probably be immediately impounded by House Lyrandar for violating their monopoly on aerospace craft, which sounds like a great start to a story.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm fairly certain that Kieth Baker wrote something about how Eberron would work with Spelljammer, but I can't remember the specifics.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 3, 2017

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Did anyone ever try to reconcile Eberron and Planescape?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Didn't know that Eberon is so weird. I only knew it as "the one setting where you can play a robot (TURBO DRACULA) and there are magitek trains!"

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Kavak posted:

Did anyone ever try to reconcile Eberron and Planescape?

Nerds on /tg/ have developed two or three alternate 40K settings, nerds love poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

nearly every domain outside Barovia fell into the "but what do the players DO here?" problem. you've got places like:

* Bluetspur where the entire domain is eminently hostile to having players even wander around (something dumb like 10d6 lightning bolts strike randomly every minute your outside) and if you manage to find a cave to hide in, they're actually hidey-holes for a bunch of vampire illithids which will completely gently caress up all but the most epic level party in a matter of seconds. so you can't wander around outside, there's no cities or villages or civilization to interact with, the random monsters are epic level motherfuckers, there's no cool ruins or dungeons to explore, and oh also you can't leave once you enter because the setting fiction says nobody can leave a particular domain without extreme GM fiat. so you wander into a barren death-world and basically just tick off the rounds until you get a TPK.

* Some random stone-age domain, the name of which I can't recall. The Dreamlands maybe? the premise is that the entire domain is this temperate forest/prairie where bubbles of "dream stuff" float around except of course they're really nightmares and if you touch one you get zapped into the nightmare and you might never find your way out, or the way out might dump you in another setting, or in another timeline, so basically if your whole party doesn't touch the exact same one your character is functionally dead. also the only civilization are nomadic tribesmen that don't believe in things like object permanence (because anyone can get zapped into a nightmare bubble at any time) and they don't bother to create any kind of complex civilization. I don't even think there was a domain lord here? just a hosed up place that you get trapped in and then you might as well just roll up new characters.

like, you can tell they were really throwing poo poo at the wall by the end of Ravenloft, but most of it didn't even pass the litmus test of "okay, but why would PCs even go here/what kind of adventures do they have/what's the point of this whole zone"/

Hah so for those who haven't seen why a vampire illithid is so loving savage, they got to energy drain on every tentacle attack and were effectively impossible to kill. Like from the statline I recall they literally still regenerate after being reduced to dust by a disintegrate, it ain't no thing to them. And not like 'oh they come back in some number of days, w/e'. Their passive regeneration still happens so the kindest possible outcome for you is you have their health/regeneration rounds before they're back for more.