Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

Anybody share this yet? Some interesting quotes from Crobberts out of this interview posted yesterday

http://www.mcvuk.com/articles/development/star-citizens-chris-roberts-talks-community-development-recruitment-and-rel

Last time I checked, they were saying that they weren't going to do orbital mechanics. This statement seems to run counter to that. Want to place bets on whether this is more technical debt or simply Chris Roberts not knowing what's going to be in his own game?

Reinforcing the idea of the 'pivot' from a rich handcrafted universe to a more player-driven system like Elite. Reddit's been calling us morons for years for saying they'll never be able to make enough content to fill these planets and solar systems, and here it is straight from the thumb's mouth...

Yeah it's called early access, dude, and it doesn't mean you don't have a release date...

I really really want to see someone take Chris to task over his 'you can play it now' constant bullshit

What a bag of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

I know I’m just a salty old timey software engineer, but if someone tried to store their promotional spacecrap in my office I’d chuck it in a dumpster before taking a tweeter photo.

Still behind btw, thanks for waiting assholes.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Blue On Blue posted:

I really really want to see someone take Chris to task over his 'you can play it now' constant bullshit
Yeah Chris, if you "can play it now", lets see you play it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

Oh...

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

That's where the Tickler In Black resides. You get to visit him in Sq42 after your loyalty mission with Mae "Pusher" Demming

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Is there a like, Is Star Citizen a Game yet . com or anything I can go to to know if this is a game yet or is it still just masturbatory modules and poo poo?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

I know I’m just a salty old timey software engineer, but if someone tried to store their promotional spacecrap in my office I’d chuck it in a dumpster before taking a tweeter photo.

Still behind btw, thanks for waiting assholes.

Knowing Chambers he is probably using it as an ottoman.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

They are The Nothing, where SC's gameplay resides.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

Anybody share this yet? Some interesting quotes from Crobberts out of this interview posted yesterday

http://www.mcvuk.com/articles/development/star-citizens-chris-roberts-talks-community-development-recruitment-and-rel

Reinforcing the idea of the 'pivot' from a rich handcrafted universe to a more player-driven system like Elite. Reddit's been calling us morons for years for saying they'll never be able to make enough content to fill these planets and solar systems, and here it is straight from the thumb's mouth...

So the guy who is a micro-manager and detail obsessive; who 4 years ago boasted about how everything is hand crafted... is now going for proc-gen everything.

Effectively eliminating his contribution to the product; CR is no longer a roadblock... so maybe SC will get done after all. :v:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

It's drat simple. The black square is merely showing the size of Skyrim's world.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
its where they marked out content needs to go

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

Angry SSD users.

The silent majority.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Never underestimate the ability of a really lovely manager / CEO to completely destroy a project

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I'll edit this post to be good and funny later on if you give me $800 now.

In the meantime please feel free to read the post I've provided already and speculate on what kind of funny and good content it will contain later.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dusty Lens posted:

In the meantime please feel free to read the post I've provided already and speculate on what kind of funny and good content it will contain later.

I will only laugh at this post if you pay me $30 for LTI or Laugh Track Insurance. :colbert:

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
I’m still trying to figure out what 2-month lifetime insurance is

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I will only laugh at this post if you pay me $30 for LTI or Laugh Track Insurance. :colbert:

If you agree to livestream my post and provide it with positive coverage I'll provide you with speculative edits that you're free to trade for subscriptions or sell on the grey market.

Variable 5 posted:

I'm guessing if you work at CIG you're even more concerned about what 2 month lifetime means.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Dusty Lens posted:

Ben just came back from a trip to the mall.

What's in the bag, Ben?

#benfat

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dusty Lens posted:

If you agree to livestream my post and provide it with positive coverage I'll provide you with speculative edits that you're free to trade for subscriptions or sell on the grey market.

I will need an initial investment of $500 in order to purchase:

1x Gaming Chair
1x Webcam
1x 8'x 6' green cloth fabric
1x Yeti microphone + stand, arm, and pop filter

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
“Normally, the reason why people hold onto a release date is because ‘That’s when I can play it’ "

No, it's because games have set budgets and time is a factor in setting that budget and if they run out of time then they run out of money. If they run out of money, there is no game period.

Release dates only matter to game companies, they could give two shits about when gamers can expect the game. Customers getting pissed off about a game being delayed is a tiny factor in the bottom line. The reason Star Citizen is different is because backers have already paid for the game and the game is years behind schedule and years away from completion. That's why they are holding on to release dates.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Eldragon posted:

So the guy who is a micro-manager and detail obsessive; who 4 years ago boasted about how everything is hand crafted... is now going for proc-gen everything.

Effectively eliminating his contribution to the product; CR is no longer a roadblock... so maybe SC will get done after all. :v:

like he won't be just an equally obsessive micromanager over the procgen output

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Variable 5 posted:

Each SSD contains an explosive charge that explodes 2 months after installation of Star Citizen. If the blast doesn't kill you, you are welcome to visit CIG's head office where Ben Lesnick will sit on you until death. Yours or his.

fritzgryphon
Jul 15, 2017

by Lowtax
How can they describe these bugs with a completely straight face? Either the coders are super good actors, or they are actually pizza delivery boys that were invited to stay.

"To see if the player has his cursor over an item in the store, we raycast the cursor against all the colliders in the entire universe. This causes a bug where the display case glass blocks the ray and the player can't select the item."

1. You would just raycast the items near the player, not the universe. You're not shooting a bullet.

2. You don't want any level geometry to obstruct the item, anyway. It would make it hard to select an item that is partially obstructed.

3. Why not use a faster and easier selection system? The player has to painstakingly put the cursor right on the item's collider (which will be annoying if the object is small). You could literally just check if the cursor is within X pixels of the item on the screen, X changing with distance and item size. If the test intersects more than 1 item, use the nearer one, or the one that you clicked closer to it's center. User friendly and 1/100th the processing time.

4. Transparent objects would need to be on a separate collision layer anyway for when you code NPC vision AI, among other things. Collider layers isn't an unexpected crisis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tRStz404qY&t=261s

fritzgryphon fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 3, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Variable 5 posted:

It was a typo (or wrong phrasing). Probably 2 year insurance which was the basic amount if you bought a ship later compared to LTI on new concepts.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

fritzgryphon posted:

How can they describe these bugs with a completely straight face? Either the coders are super good actors, or they are actually pizza delivery boys that were invited to stay.

They figured out how to atomically update a single attribute or attribute group in an object, rather than rebuilding the object around the middle of last year.

They're literally programming the matrix, etc, etc, goonie, etc.

Edit:

Colostomy Bag posted:

It was a typo (or wrong phrasing). Probably 2 year insurance which was the basic amount if you bought a ship later compared to LTI on new concepts.

I'm holding onto my initial LTI package to soften the blow of losing $45 to the BDSSE augering in like brick. I've still got my towel*.

* ingame items invalid after servers turned off.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 3, 2017

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

I think the Stellaris mod I downloaded is an ad for Star Citizen?

Wow thats tacky as poo poo.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

fritzgryphon posted:

"To see if the player has his cursor over an item in the store, we raycast the cursor against all the colliders in the entire universe. This causes a bug where the display case glass blocks the ray and the player can't select the item."

1. You would just raycast the items near the player, not the universe. You're not shooting a bullet.

2. You don't want any level geometry to obstruct the item, anyway. It would make it hard to select an item that is partially obstructed.

3. Why not use a faster and easier selection system? The player has to painstakingly put the cursor right on the item's collider (which will be annoying if the object is small). You could literally just check if the cursor is within X pixels of the item on the screen, X changing with distance and item size. If the test intersects more than 1 item, use the nearer one, or the one that you clicked closer to it's center. User friendly and 1/100th the processing time.

4. Transparent objects would need to be on a separate collision layer anyway for when you code NPC vision AI, among other things. Collider layers isn't an unexpected crisis.

So they don't know to set the raycast length, and don't know how to use collider layers? Also, this whole system is just over-complicated and pointless. Why the hell do you need to manually select the item from the wall? Just talk to the vendor, open up a menu, and pick your item from the UI like every other game. I mean jesus, just because other games do it and you don't doesn't make you a loving visionary, Chris. What an absolute buffoon.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
So I tuned in Blizzcon and they started when they said they would. Obviously they don't understand con development.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kilus aof posted:

So I tuned in Blizzcon and they started when they said they would. Obviously they don't understand con development.

They aren’t making a real space game, just a horny anime shooter after giving up from their lack of creativity and vision that only a true genius like Chris Roberts can realize

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Dusty Lens posted:

How do you think you will laugh when our funny content is revealed?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Toops posted:

So they don't know to set the raycast length, and don't know how to use collider layers? Also, this whole system is just over-complicated and pointless. Why the hell do you need to manually select the item from the wall? Just talk to the vendor, open up a menu, and pick your item from the UI like every other game. I mean jesus, just because other games do it and you don't doesn't make you a loving visionary, Chris. What an absolute buffoon.
why the gently caress do you even need vendors. amazon is already a huge loving thing, in 100 years let alone 1,000 there won't be a single shop owner standing around or showing you poo poo, everything will be ordered from the holonet or whatever the gently caress its called

everything should be handled through the UI and just shipped to you in your ship/personal inventory

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

kilus aof posted:

mike morhaime comes off as a real dude

I'm never going back to wow, been clean for almost a year

^ repeats as a mantra, slowing clutching his chest

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

everything should be handled through the UI and just shipped to you in your ship/personal inventory

Introducing the new stealthy delivery vehicle that delivers above it's weight.

Just say No to Em Em Oh.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Quavers posted:

LTI sales stopped in 2014. Checkmate goonailure

LTI returned thanks to backer demand. Well supply and demand--turns out no one would buy fake ships without fake insurance. The best part about LTI--it will never, ever be in the game.

On a side note: Wolfenstein II is really good--funny and disturbing in one great package. And I might be mistaken, but pretty sure I spotted Sandi in the game--Sandi did a great job mo-capping General Engel.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheAgent posted:

why the gently caress do you even need vendors. amazon is already a huge loving thing, in 100 years let alone 1,000 there won't be a single shop owner standing around or showing you poo poo, everything will be ordered from the holonet or whatever the gently caress its called

Because that's how Chris did it in Freelancer, and it was good enough for Mass Effect.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I still don’t know what LTI is and I don’t care to know.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Chris Roberts posted:

I still don’t know what LTI is and I don’t care to know.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Last time I checked, they were saying that they weren't going to do orbital mechanics. This statement seems to run counter to that. Want to place bets on whether this is more technical debt or simply Chris Roberts not knowing what's going to be in his own game?

Yeah it's called early access, dude, and it doesn't mean you don't have a release date...

he's such a brazen contemptuous hack. I am constantly amazed by this man's lack of shame

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
holy gently caress that hearthstone stage...makes anything CIG has done look like complete poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

When does SC become the most expensive video game ever? Not counting the marketing blitz that causes the COD/GTA games to have ridiculous budgets, just the cost of making the damned thing in the first place?